PDA

View Full Version : Neoair April 19

Powder River
03-09-2009, 12:17
http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=59478&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&feat=sr&freeText=neoair

Notice the available date. I called to inquire and they said they were given this information by thermarest, but could not confirm that this is industry wide. All they know is this is when they will be getting it. I suspect though that LL Bean is a big enough retailer that they would be at the front of the line, so that's good enough for me. This is good to know as I was holding onto my REI 20% coupon, hoping they would list it before March 29 when the coupon expires.

And yes, they have the prices reversed.

randyg45
03-09-2009, 13:06
Don't give up hope, Powder River. I called thermarest a couple weeks ago. I forget the exact, word-for-word conversation but they implied (well, at least, I inferred) REI would get them first.
Thanks for the info.

Powder River
03-09-2009, 13:31
Don't give up hope, Powder River. I called thermarest a couple weeks ago. I forget the exact, word-for-word conversation but they implied (well, at least, I inferred) REI would get them first.
Thanks for the info.

Well, I never thought to call thermarest!! Scratch the above, I just talked to a guy at cascade designs who said, "The regular size will ship April 1st, and REI will get it first."

So it just depends on the turn around time REI needs to put it on shelves. But if it gets listed on the web page even a week early, then the 20% off should work. :banana:banana Thanks RandyG for saving me 30 bucks...

Mrs Baggins
03-09-2009, 13:53
Hey, I'm glad someone else is looking forward to this! If it's as good as the testers reviews say it is then I'll be buying it sometime in early April.

AZJ_Jerky
03-09-2009, 14:24
Hey Mrs Baggins is there a link to the review you have seen? Thanks!

Mrs Baggins
03-09-2009, 15:16
Hey Mrs Baggins is there a link to the review you have seen? Thanks!

It was in the latest Backpacker Gear Guide, on the newstands right now. The testers used the Neo Air on a hike in Wales - very wet and cold weather - and they stayed warm and very comfy. They all absolutely loved it.

AZJ_Jerky
03-09-2009, 15:29
Thanks maybe I'll have to go pick up a copy!

Franco
03-09-2009, 15:49
Interesting to see that some are getting a bit excited now about the Neo. I was rather amused to note the difference between the Neo Air thread at Backpackinglight and the previous one here.
Franco

Powder River
03-09-2009, 16:07
Interesting to see that some are getting a bit excited now about the Neo. I was rather amused to note the difference between the Neo Air thread at Backpackinglight and the previous one here.
Franco

Which thread is that? Can you link?

Franco
03-09-2009, 17:09
It was the "any Thermarest testers here?"
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46286 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46286)

the last Neo thread at BPL was this
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=19245 (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=19245)
Franco

FamilyGuy
03-09-2009, 17:12
Note my comments in that thread.

Powder River
03-09-2009, 17:48
It was the "any Thermarest testers here?"
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46286 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46286)

the last Neo thread at BPL was this
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=19245 (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=19245)
Franco

Ah yes, THAT thread. That was quite entertaining though. I think some people just get confused about a product's intended market niche. (Kind of like saying my Suburban carries WAY more people than your Fiat.. :D)

But I digress. I will say no more lest this thread goes the way of the last one...

Sirclimbsalot
03-09-2009, 18:40
The backpacker article - I have not read it yet. Did it say how cold the temps were that they used the neo? That's my only question before considering one of these.....is it enough for 25 degrees? maybe lower?

Thanks,
Brian J

Franco
03-09-2009, 19:21
Thermarest rates that as a 2.5 mat, IE similar to most self-inflating 1" mat. They rate the Prolite (formerly Prolite 3) at 2.2. The not so obvious (to some) advantage is the weight (14oz for the 72") and packed volume(9x4"), the others are the rectangular shape (wiggle room) the sideways chambers( you don't sink in them) and the extra thickness, 2.5". Apart from that it's just a mat and will not be made compulsory by the park rangers.
So for the ones that don't like the idea, it's OK you don't have to buy it.
Franco

ChinMusic
03-09-2009, 19:35
Looks like a great summer pad.

Wags
03-10-2009, 16:17
weight looks good. price tag for a sleeping pad does not

JERMM
03-10-2009, 16:55
here's another link with info on the Neo. I will stick with my BA insulated aircore mummy for the R-value

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/5506

Powder River
03-10-2009, 17:50
Some more detective work paid off: just talked to an REI representative who said it will go up on the site this Friday or Saturday for back order. 20% coupon, etc will be valid, but she didn't know when it would actually ship.

Mrs Baggins
03-10-2009, 19:33
here's another link with info on the Neo. I will stick with my BA insulated aircore mummy for the R-value

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/5506

Not me. Our experience with the BA INSULATED Air core is that it's an ice cube under us. Quote all the R values you want - thump your chest and say how you're not cold - doesn't change our real world experience of freezing on it. We're not afraid to say we're cold on the thing and we're going to try something else, price and "statistics" be damned.

Mrs Baggins
03-10-2009, 19:34
Some more detective work paid off: just talked to an REI representative who said it will go up on the site this Friday or Saturday for back order. 20% coupon, etc will be valid, but she didn't know when it would actually ship.

We'll be there.

drastic_quench
03-10-2009, 19:54
$150 is too much to spend on a sleeping pad.

JERMM
03-10-2009, 20:32
Not me. Our experience with the BA INSULATED Air core is that it's an ice cube under us. Quote all the R values you want - thump your chest and say how you're not cold - doesn't change our real world experience of freezing on it. We're not afraid to say we're cold on the thing and we're going to try something else, price and "statistics" be damned.

Mrs Baggins, I respect your opinion based on your limited backpacking and camping experience. I used a Thermarest Prolite 4 pad early last year it was warm enough, but didn't give me the "cushy" comfort I wanted. Then I bought and used the BA insul air core and slept very warm and "comfortable" on nights when the temps dipped well into the 20's for several nights in a row. I used the same pad for most of my 70 nights on the AT last year. Both the Prolite 4 and Insul air core have similar R-values and are excellent pads made by excellent companies.

I wasn't knocking the Neo pad or jumping down anyone throat for considering one, I simply posted another link with additional info so everyone that's interested in the Neo could be more informed in making a decision and not basing it on one review. No chest thumping involved, don't need to, I know what works for me and I won't tell anyone it's what will work for them.

Mrs Baggins
03-10-2009, 20:37
Limited experience........we spent 8 weeks sleeping on it from Springer Mt to Fairbanks Alaska............and then I spent 2 more weeks on it last year. Cold weather is cold weather whether it's 2 weeks or 50 weeks. And we were cold on the BA Insulated Air Core.

Wags
03-10-2009, 20:43
i always carry a 20x20 piece of CCF so R value hardly matters to me (i'm not out below 20). i guess if i was rich i wouldn't mind spending $100 more (+$ b/c thermarest is lame and sells stuff sack and repair kit seperately - which is pretty crappy imo) than the BA pad i currently use and like, for a weight savings of 10ozs

randyg45
03-10-2009, 22:46
17 oz, $70 in the large size, which is what I want....

randyg45
03-10-2009, 22:51
$150 is too much to spend on a sleeping pad.
For whom?
Compared to what?
A thru-hike if I get to do it, will cost me upwards of $50k, after taxes, in lost income. Everything else is chicken feed by comparison. I've had back surgery twice; I plan to sleep as comfortably as possible.

Tipi Walter
03-10-2009, 23:27
Thermarest rates that as a 2.5 mat, IE similar to most self-inflating 1" mat. They rate the Prolite (formerly Prolite 3) at 2.2. The not so obvious (to some) advantage is the weight (14oz for the 72") and packed volume(9x4"), the others are the rectangular shape (wiggle room) the sideways chambers( you don't sink in them) and the extra thickness, 2.5". Apart from that it's just a mat and will not be made compulsory by the park rangers.
So for the ones that don't like the idea, it's OK you don't have to buy it.
Franco

What I'm trying to figure out is why Thermarest deep sixed the wonderful Prolite 4 at 3.2 R and replaced it with just the Prolite at 2.2 R. I suppose the more expensive Prolite Plus(3.8 R) took the place of the Prolite 4. Anyway, the Prolite at 2.2 R and 16oz is very close to the NeoAir at 2.5 R and 14oz(all regulars).

Mrs Baggins, I respect your opinion based on your limited backpacking and camping experience. I used a Thermarest Prolite 4 pad early last year it was warm enough, but didn't give me the "cushy" comfort I wanted. Then I bought and used the BA insul air core and slept very warm and "comfortable" on nights when the temps dipped well into the 20's for several nights in a row. I used the same pad for most of my 70 nights on the AT last year. Both the Prolite 4 and Insul air core have similar R-values and are excellent pads made by excellent companies.

I wasn't knocking the Neo pad or jumping down anyone throat for considering one, I simply posted another link with additional info so everyone that's interested in the Neo could be more informed in making a decision and not basing it on one review. No chest thumping involved, don't need to, I know what works for me and I won't tell anyone it's what will work for them.

This back and forth goes to show you that R values are very subjective with little agreement unless a person hauls a 4 pound 6-7 R value, 2 inch thick pad and then compares it to a ridgerest or one of the old Ultralites. Suffice it to say that when it comes to sleeping pads, everyone has their favorites and what works for them. Some will swear a ridgerest keeps them warm at zero degrees on snow while another will curse the cold from a 2.5 inch LuxuryCamp. There's no rhyme or reason.

But what's particularly irritating and frustrating for the normal consumer is the near constant Thermarest model name-changes over a seemingly stunningly fast time. Prolite 4 is gone. Prolite 3 is gone. Trail Comfort is gone. Fusion is gone. Standard is gone. Prolite 3/4 replaced by Prolite/Prolite Plus. Camp Rest replaced by Base Camp. I suppose after 6 months the NeoAir will be changed and modified and renamed. Any suggestions for the new name?

Franco
03-10-2009, 23:57
The Prolite 3 is now called Prolite and The Prolite 4 is the Prolite Plus (like the Prolite but thicker/warmer, hence PLUS)
Mostly the name change is because some don't really understand that what is three season for one is four season for another and no season at all if you live at Scott base, Antarctica.
The Neo is totally new and designed for the ones that prefer a thicker mat than the Prolite.

What I don't understand is tents. Why don't we all just use the TNF VE25 , much stronger than those wimpy Tarptents some are going on about.

BTW, compared to most consumer goods, Thermarest are very conservative with their model change.
Franco

darkage
03-11-2009, 00:35
People can talk all they want, its normally a quick "its not worth it" and thats it ...

I'll be getting mine, i'm a fan of thermarest ... they have yet to fail on me and a lighter thicker pad to me is worth it when i wake up refreshed insteed of tight and sore. I use the prolite4 with alittle air out ... the thicker pad now i can use it abit softer without bottoming out .... worth the money to me .... just in time for that 2 week trip in june too ...

Tipi Walter
03-11-2009, 09:58
The Prolite 3 is now called Prolite and The Prolite 4 is the Prolite Plus (like the Prolite but thicker/warmer, hence PLUS)
Mostly the name change is because some don't really understand that what is three season for one is four season for another and no season at all if you live at Scott base, Antarctica.
The Neo is totally new and designed for the ones that prefer a thicker mat than the Prolite.

What I don't understand is tents. Why don't we all just use the TNF VE25 , much stronger than those wimpy Tarptents some are going on about.

BTW, compared to most consumer goods, Thermarest are very conservative with their model change.
Franco

I highlighted the above sentence in bold and I'm trying to figure out what you mean. "The name change is because some don't really understand that what is three season for one is four season for another." Granted, a 3 season pad could be used in the winter by someone and work fine, whereas for another person a four season pad would be needed. But what the heck does this have to do with the near constant model name-changes by Thermarest? If people didn't understand Thermarest pads before, they sure won't after seeing all the recent model name changes.

In the old days we had the Standard Longs and Shorties. 1.75 inches on full foam with no die cuts and they worked fine. These disappeared and then came the Ultralite, the Backpacker, the Explorer, the Trail Comfort, the Trail Lite, the Camp Rest, the Camp Lite, the Expedition, the LE Megarest, the Luxury LE, the Guide Lite, the Fusion and the Classic. For the most part all of these have been discontinued and there's probably more but I'm no Thermarest historian.

There are several problems with this corporate identity crisis. Someone gets used to a certain pad thickness, size and Rvalue and ZAP it's gone, to be replaced by a new line of changed sizes and Rvalues. A good example is the Trail Comfort, which was a beefy high Rvalue winter pad which in turned replaced the adequate winter Expedition and Standards. Now the Trail Comfort is gone and there is no high Rvalue Thermarest available like the Expedition(4.4R)unless one decides to hump in a blue Base Camp at 6.2R. The Toughskins come close at 5.1 but I am using one now at my basecamp tent and the large is just too bulky to even fit in my normal thermarest stuff sack. And the Toughskin pads are very firm and stiff, more firm even than the old Prolite 4s. And with the added internal layers in the Toughskin, it is more difficult to deflate and roll than the usual pads, and at 1.5 inches thick it doesn't have the comfort of the 2 inch pads.

As of this writing, Thermarest doesn't even make a backpackable winter pad(in my opinion)with a 4plus R rating unless a person wants to hump in their 3.10 pound Base Camp(and not counting the stiff Toughskin).
Prolite Plus 3.8R
Trail Pro 3.8R
Trail Lite 3.8
Trail 3.4

And your comment, "Why don't we all just use the TNF VE25, much stronger than those wimpy Tarptents some are going on about," seems to come out of left field and has no relation to why Thermarest changes model names so often, or why Rvalues are so subjective and differ between users such as Jermm and Mrs Baggins. Now if you said, "What I don't understand is tents. Why does Mountain Hardwear come out with a fine South Col hoop tent and the nice Muir Trail or Thruhiker tents and then discontinue them? Why does TNF come out with an excellent Westwind and dump it after a few years?" This kind of comment would make more sense.

Hooch
03-11-2009, 10:03
.......we were cold on the BA Insulated Air Core.And she said she wasn't. Give it a rest, Baggins.

Franco
03-11-2009, 15:56
Tipi Walter
The (sarcastic) comment about the TNF has to do with your apparent inability to understand horses for courses. Just as my Contrail does the job for me most of the time (therefore I don't have to use the VE25) , the Neo mat will provably also do the job for most people, but I do understand that only your 4 lbs mat works for you, other mats work for me and 99% of other hikers.
The reason why Thermarest makes so many mats is the same reason GM makes so many cars, you choose the one you like and hopefully you don't go around pretending that everybody else is stupid for not using the same.
The designation 3 and 4 of the previous series could have been interpreted as a measurement (ie 3 or 4 cm) or the intended season indicator. But again to some the Prolite 4 was just enough in Summer and to others the Prolite 3 was more than enough in winter. The new names also are needed at retail level not to confuse the inventory.
As much as you are happy with the same product year after year, others look forward to possible improvements. Accept that neither side is right or wrong , just different.
Franco

lucky luke
03-15-2009, 12:25
For whom?
Compared to what?
A thru-hike if I get to do it, will cost me upwards of $50k, after taxes, in lost income. Everything else is chicken feed by comparison. I've had back surgery twice; I plan to sleep as comfortably as possible.

:D you forgot to mention that maybe you won´t win the lottery while on the trail....:-? hope you could write your back surgeries off the taxes. how much were they worth before taxes? how much money did you loose in the hospital?
i would recommend thinking about the tripple crown. that would cost you 150-200K.... :cool:

however i agree with: i plan to sleep as comfortably as possible. thats what i do. i went from thin foam to thin thermarest to thicker thermarest to fat thermarest and am using a exped downmat 9 deluxe currently. now thats is finally what i call comfort. worth every ounce that i have to haul. and its not only cushy, it also is WARM.

i do worry if gear gets a good review in backpacker. they write whatever they are told by the big companies who advertise. and cold in whales? what the f*** does that mean? whales is never "cold". its right on the ocean, has mountains that are hills.

enjoy your neo when you have one.

sleep warm
lucky luke

Camping Dave
03-16-2009, 18:24
REI's site says the NeoAir is 66" long. Sorry, but I'm not going to hang my head or feet off a 2.5" thick pad. Sneaky way to cut weight too: make the bag 10% smaller!

Camping Dave
03-16-2009, 19:18
REI's site says the NeoAir is 66" long. Sorry, but I'm not going to hang my head or feet off a 2.5" thick pad. Sneaky way to cut weight too: make the bag 10% smaller!

Oops, that's just the Medium. Regular is 20x72, Large is 25x77.

Gear To Go Outfitter
03-18-2009, 11:22
I have a bunch on order and was told they will be shipping the first week in April. I'll check with my rep to get an update. Once I have an answer I will post an update and you will be able to place an advance order on my site (www.geartogooutfitters.com (http://www.geartogooutfitters.com)).

Gear To Go Outfitter
03-18-2009, 23:19
I am expecting to receive my first shipment of NeoAir's by April 8th. You can order now by going to www.geartogooutfitters.com (http://www.geartogooutfitters.com). If you live in the NYC Metro Area you can have your pad by April 9th with Free Delivery!!!

BackTrack1
03-19-2009, 07:27
check out MPGEAR.COM
i orderd a regular last night and they say its being shipped today, dont know how true that is , but all the other sizes werent available until april

Gear To Go Outfitter
03-19-2009, 14:23
I would doubt any outfitter's claims that they can ship before April. April 1 is the official availability date.

Singletrack
03-22-2009, 11:01
I wonder how long it will take to drain all the air out of the Neo, so it can be rolled up. If it is like some, and I say some, of the other air mattresses that have individual air chambers, it might take a while every morning to get hiking again.

darkage
03-22-2009, 13:06
Release the valve 30 seconds before you plan on getting up and let your body weight remove the air, when its flat ... get up do what you gotta do and stuff it in its sack .... its not self inflating so your not fighting the air coming back in ....

ChinMusic
03-22-2009, 14:15
I wonder how long it will take to drain all the air out of the Neo, so it can be rolled up. If it is like some, and I say some, of the other air mattresses that have individual air chambers, it might take a while every morning to get hiking again.
Not much of an issue there. Like Darkage said, just release the valve and lay there for a bit. Blowing it up is a drag when setting up.

My dog knows it's time to get up when he hears the air valve release in the morning. Amazing how dogs catch on to these things.

Franco
03-30-2009, 17:38
First report on the ( not for winter use) Neo Air that I know of at BackpackGear Test (http://www.backpackgeartest.org/newreviews.php (http://www.backpackgeartest.org/newreviews.php))
Note this mat was not designed for winter use.
Not a real test, just initial comments but useful to check out the real measurements.
For winter use look elsewhere.
Franco
Warning : not for winter use.

Tipi Walter
03-30-2009, 18:41
weight looks good. price tag for a sleeping pad does not

i always carry a 20x20 piece of CCF so R value hardly matters to me (i'm not out below 20). i guess if i was rich i wouldn't mind spending $100 more (+$ b/c thermarest is lame and sells stuff sack and repair kit seperately - which is pretty crappy imo) than the BA pad i currently use and like, for a weight savings of 10ozs

I remember in '81 when I got my first orange thermarest with the metal valve, a standard shorty at $29. It replaced an old and uncomfy and floppy ensolite. For years the prices stayed fairly low for the backpacking thermys, always between 30-50 bucks for very good pads(not including the car camping Luxury editions, etc). Then several years ago they walloped the buying public with the Prolite 4 at around $99, a huge increase and seemingly unbuyable and out of the reach of most people.

Now they've discontinued the Prolite 4s and turned them into the Prolite Plus at, what, $130? $140? And so enters the NeoAir at $150. And unlike tents and sleeping bags, these things used to be almost disposable, and after a couple of years of rigorous use, an old thermy was replaced with a new one. And why not? They were fairly cheap. Not any more. At least for these "state of the art" type pads.

BTW, if someone wants a modern thermarest at an old time price, check out their Trail and Backpacker pads on this page at Campmor:
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/SubCategory___40000000226_200368356?ip_navtype=Adv ancedSearch&catFilter=&searchKeywords=200368356&ip_sortBy=priceAsc&filters=Manufacturer%20Name%7ETherm-a-Rest%7ETherm-a-Rest%20%2846%29%7C&ip_constrain=&pageSize=24&catType=&searchCategory=browsefilter&manNameFilter=&sizeFilter=&ip_state=&priceFilter=&currentPage=&colorFilter=

Here's the neat part: The Trail small is just $29 and has a higher Rvalue than the Neo at 3.4 and, get this, weights just 15oz. as compared to the Neo at 9oz. You save $120 and have to carry an extra 6ozs. The Backpacker model is also $29 and both are great camping pads. All I ever used for years was a Backpacker long and then got into the Trail Lites for awhile. Anyway, a person does not need to spend $150 for a pad if he doesn't want, just shop around and check out the Thermarest deals at Campmor.

Franco
03-30-2009, 19:41
Brilliant....
In Australia the average wage in 1980 was 12.5k. Last year it was 57.5k, so a $29 mat in 1980 (and I would guess that it was $29.95...) is roughly $138 now.
Of course it could be very different over there.
BTW $1AU 1980 = 1.15 US
$1AU 2009 = 69 US
So that mat theoretically could have been $25 AU in 1980 and that would be $165 AU now.

Expensive ?

Franco
One thing that is not as good as it used to be is nostalgia. (not to be confused with neuralgia)

Franco
03-30-2009, 19:42
$1AU 2009 = 69 US
that is 69 cents...

darkage
03-30-2009, 19:49
Hey tipi,

Yeah cause comparing a P.O.S like the 15 ounce small as hell trail 20"x47"x1" to the 14 ounce regular 20"x72"x2.5" neo air .... For starters, your rvalue theory can go right out the window ... ITS A SUMMER PAD PEOPLE, 3 season use ... spring thro fall ... then your winter pads ... Stop comparing crap to the neoair ... you make no sense. Sleeping on an INCH of garbage compared to 2.5" on a stable horizontal air pad can't be compared ... its that simple ...

Mr HaHa
03-30-2009, 20:04
Hey tipi,

Yeah cause comparing a P.O.S like the 15 ounce small as hell trail 20"x47"x1" to the 14 ounce regular 20"x72"x2.5" neo air .... For starters, your rvalue theory can go right out the window ... ITS A SUMMER PAD PEOPLE, 3 season use ... spring thro fall ... then your winter pads ... Stop comparing crap to the neoair ... you make no sense. Sleeping on an INCH of garbage compared to 2.5" on a stable horizontal air pad can't be compared ... its that simple ... Sorry for our air pad ignorance oh wise one. Keeper of the flame in Bethlehem

Tipi Walter
03-30-2009, 20:24
Brilliant....
In Australia the average wage in 1980 was 12.5k. Last year it was 57.5k, so a $29 mat in 1980 (and I would guess that it was $29.95...) is roughly $138 now.
Of course it could be very different over there.
BTW $1AU 1980 = 1.15 US
$1AU 2009 = 69 US
So that mat theoretically could have been $25 AU in 1980 and that would be $165 AU now.

Expensive ?

Franco
One thing that is not as good as it used to be is nostalgia. (not to be confused with neuralgia)

But the neat thing is that Thermarest still makes a decent $29 pad.

Darkage--
You say you'll be getting your Neo soon, so you haven't even tried it and yet you say "sleeping on an inch of garbage compared to a 2.5" inch on a stable horizontal air pad" is better, which makes people think you've already taken it out and can compare it to the Trail? It makes me wonder if you've ever even used the Trail?? Not to mention the NeoAir. I haven't used the Neo, very people have, and yet for those complaining of the cost there are suitable alternatives.

The Backpacker model is another fine Thermarest pad that I am most familiar with($29--3/4 length)and even at just 1 inch thick it has served me well on dozens of backpacking trips.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___47619?CS_003=2477120&CS_010=47619

This info might help those out there who squirm at the thought of getting a $150 pad when a much cheaper-tho-heavier one will do. People say I attack certain pieces of gear and gear choices, but I never bluntly called anything a piece of garbage. A better way would be to quote some negative reviews of the Trail/Backpacker pads--and then say they are garbage, at least in regards to my post. I never considered my Backpacker one inch pad to be garbage, in fact I thought I was getting a pretty good deal on a pretty good pad that got me thru alot of bag nights.

It makes me wonder why people get so enamored with a piece of gear like the Neo(not even used by most yet), and why in defense of something cutting edge and possibly "ultralight", they crouch into a defensive posture so quickly.

Glebbber
03-30-2009, 21:28
So I am confused.

Is it a summer pad or a 3 season pad???

darkage
03-30-2009, 21:42
Its a summer pad which stretches into fall/spring .... Tipi and his butt pad buddy MR haha can talk all they want .... I'm far from ultralight ... but if your gonna compare pads ... I'd start with the BA clearview ... $40 online if you look around and lower if you find a good deal ... Its not self inflating, 2.5" ... and actually comparable ....

I'm not on the neoair band wagon .... I'm not praising it ... so think again before posting ....

Franco
03-30-2009, 21:46
It is meant to be a bit warmer than a Prolite (Prolite 3) , so pretty much the same as most 1" self inflaters, wherever that works for you.
Franco
http://www.thermarest.com/product_selection.aspx?cID=1

Tipi Walter
03-30-2009, 21:55
Its a summer pad which stretches into fall/spring .... Tipi and his butt pad buddy MR haha can talk all they want .... I'm far from ultralight ... but if your gonna compare pads ... I'd start with the BA clearview ... $40 online if you look around and lower if you find a good deal ... Its not self inflating, 2.5" ... and actually comparable ....

I'm not on the neoair band wagon .... I'm not praising it ... so think again before posting ....

So, have you used it?

Glebbber
03-30-2009, 22:02
arent posts 51 and 52 conflicting?

Franco
03-30-2009, 22:22
Post 51 is not my opinion is what Thermarest claims. So far I have found the Thermarest specs to be pretty accurate (for me...)
Some are warm with a 2.5R mat in winter, in the same conditions others need a 6R mat, they are just comparative figures.
Franco

Powder River
03-30-2009, 23:50
It's right about this time I'm wishing Whiteblaze had that icon of a little smiley slamming his head into a wall over and over and over and over. And over and over and over again...

Bidwell
03-31-2009, 17:36
Not trying to advertise by any means, but Backcountry.com (yes I work for them) just got a shipment in. I've been waiting for this pad to come out for quite a while, and finally this morning we got them in stock. I am super-stoked. And despite what our site claims in the description, I'd probably regard this as a 3-season pad.

I just ordered a small (I am 5'4" 120) and for 9 oz, I can't wait until I test it out. Should be here tomorrow or the next day.

http://www.backcountry.com/store/CAS0503/Therm-a-Rest-Neoair-Sleeping-Pad.html?CMP_ID=SH_FRO001&CMP_SKU=CAS0503&mv_pc=r126

That said, anyone wanna buy my never-used-small-orange Prolite 3 Sleeping Pad? :) I'd let it go for a good price, I reckon.

Glebbber
03-31-2009, 19:22
Thanks for the tip.

Backcountry says :

" But what sets the Neoair apart from other non-insulated pads is its ability to keep you cozy on winter trips"

That just adds a whole new level of confusion. Guess I will just have to see how it works for myself.

slow
03-31-2009, 20:43
Thanks for the tip.

Backcountry says :

" But what sets the Neoair apart from other non-insulated pads is its ability to keep you cozy on winter trips"

That just adds a whole new level of confusion. Guess I will just have to see how it works for myself.

Not if you have a MB bag....you will be fine:D

IceAge
04-01-2009, 12:04
Damn, I finally bought a ProLite 4 in december, now the used gear forum will be filled with them, coulda saved myself some $

Franco
04-01-2009, 20:05
To me this is good news and sort of bad news at the same time.
http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/Therm-A-Rest_NeoAir.html

Gossamer Gear have the Neo Air on their Web Site, that in itself is an endorsement for the product, however I never noticed that there are a lot more tubes in the long version than I had expected, as it can be seen in this shot
My thanks to the Family Guy for providing the link
Franco
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Therm-a-Rest_NeoAir_Full-3001.jpg

Bidwell
04-02-2009, 16:20
We (backcountry.com) just sold 40 of these in 36 hours and are now out of stock... must be the hot item.

skinewmexico
04-02-2009, 17:36
It is hot. Some people are apparently unaware that anyone besides Thermarest has ever made an insulated air mattress.

AZJ_Jerky
04-02-2009, 17:56
Nobody has ever made a pad like this. There is no competition. That is why it's hot.

Gear To Go Outfitter
04-02-2009, 18:11
I'm expecting my order to have my order arrive on April 8th. You can go on the site now (www.geartogooutfitters.com (http://www.geartogooutfitters.com)) and order in advance, that way you'll make sure to have one before they sell out.

Franco
04-02-2009, 18:17
Skinewmexico
I don't bet but could safely put my money on the fact that the vast majority of people that have ordered the Neo Air have at least one but in most cases several mats.
Franco

G. Rabbit
04-02-2009, 18:28
So, unless I read the info wrong it isn't self inflating - but people are still paying $$$ and going nuts over it? That's pretty incredible.

Gear To Go Outfitter
04-02-2009, 18:38
The advantages of the Neo are that it is lighter than the ProLite but with more insulation, packs up to just 9" X 4", and still inflates to 2.5" for a comfortable night's sleep. There is a heat reflector within the pad that adds to its thermal effiiciency without adding much weight.

AZJ_Jerky
04-02-2009, 19:01
The prolite isn't really self inflating either :D More like inflation assisted.

The Neoair is 2.5" thick...14 Oz...6'.... (Regular size) Of course people are going crazy. They found a market niche.

Bidwell
04-03-2009, 19:53
I just got the NeoAir in the mail and I have been playing around with it. Because I am a huge nerd and I had my video camera handy, I uploaded a few videos to youtube and whatnot. Even though I don't like reviewing the item without using it, I'll post the videos and my thoughts in the gear review section here:

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48714