PDA

View Full Version : Man Shot by Law Enforcement in SNP

Newb
03-09-2009, 13:20
This from the Washington Post, 9 March 2009:

Shenandoah National Park:

A man was killed during a gun battle with police yesterday in Shenandoah National park, authorities said.
The National Park Service requested assistance about 11 a.m. in stopping a vehicle in the park near Front Royal, said Virginia State Police Sgt. Lest Tyler.
After stopping the car, officers approached it, and the driver was killed in an ensuing gun battle, he said. No officers were injured.
The shooting is also under investigation by the FBI.

Captain Blue
03-09-2009, 13:27
FRONT ROYAL -- A man was killed Sunday at the entrance to Shenandoah National Park after he drew a weapon and fired at authorities, a Virginia State Police official said.

At 11 a.m., the National Parks Service asked the Warren County Sheriff's Office and state police to stop a vehicle. When authorities pulled the vehicle over at Skyline Drive and U.S. 340, the driver of the vehicle drew a weapon and began to fire, State Police Sgt. F.L. Tyler said.

Authorities returned fire and killed the driver, Tyler said.

Tyler would not identify the driver or a passenger in the car, who received only minor injuries and was taken to a nearby hospital.

It was unclear Sunday afternoon which law enforcement agency fired the shot that killed the man, why the parks service asked authorities to stop the car or if anyone else was hurt.

Eight hours after the shooting, nearly two dozen police cars blocked entrance to the park, and authorities were still working the scene past nightfall. State troopers were directing tourists to Luray for access to Skyline Drive.

The incident is under investigation by State Police, the National Parks Service and the FBI.

FBI spokeswoman Dee Rybiski refused further comment. Warren County Sheriff Daniel T. McEathron referred questions to State Police. He would not say how many deputies were involved.

Susie Starita, 43, said her 14-year-old son was playing outside their River Drive home close to the park when he heard gunshots. At first she didn't believe him.

But Starita soon watched helicopters land in the parking lot of a nearby football field.

An ambulance rushed to one, she said, and after about 10 minutes the helicopter was back in the air. A second helicopter also landed, she said.

"We all watched it. I wasn't about to go over there," she said.

Starita said the incident put her on edge because children in her neighborhood frequently play outside.

"It made me very nervous," she said. "The kids were playing. What makes me more nervous is what he did. I don't want people like this hanging around my house."

http://www.nvdaily.com/news/2009/03/state-police-man-killed-at-skyline-drive.html

4eyedbuzzard
03-09-2009, 13:32
FRONT ROYAL -- A man was killed Sunday at the entrance to Shenandoah National Park after he drew a weapon and fired at authorities, a Virginia State Police official said.
At 11 a.m., the National Parks Service asked the Warren County Sheriff's Office and state police to stop a vehicle. When authorities pulled the vehicle over at Skyline Drive and U.S. 340, the driver of the vehicle drew a weapon and began to fire, State Police Sgt. F.L. Tyler said.
Authorities returned fire and killed the driver, Tyler said....
http://www.nvdaily.com/news/2009/03/state-police-man-killed-at-skyline-drive.html

About what you'd expect for pulling a weapon and/or firing on LE. Undoubtably there is more to the story. I'd imagine outstanding wants & warrants or mental problem are somehow involved.

take-a-knee
03-09-2009, 13:46
Authorities returned fire and killed the driver, Tyler said....

About what you'd expect for pulling a weapon and/or firing on LE. Undoubtably there is more to the story. I'd imagine outstanding wants & warrants or mental problem are somehow involved.

Either "Un Malo Hombre" with nothing to lose or "blue suicide".

warraghiyagey
03-09-2009, 13:47
There's no way to call the situation unless you were directly involved. . . anything else is needy and repugnant.

double d
03-09-2009, 14:13
Wow, Warraghiyagey, why use the word "repugnant" to describe how some WB posters are trying to understand a violent act at one of our National Parks? Certainly the guy wasn't shot and killed because he was jay-walking, please don't describe members of WB as using repugnant language when its not accurate, because you made a value judgement of the situation when you posted your thoughts on this matter as well and you don't know the situation either. Just some thoughts on this terrible issue.

warraghiyagey
03-09-2009, 14:19
Wow, Warraghiyagey, you use the word "repugnant" to describe how some WB posters are trying to understand a violent act at one of our National Parks? Certainly the guy wasn't shot and killed because he was jay-walking, please don't describe members of WB as using repugnant language when its not accurate, because you made a value judgement of the situation when you posted your thoughts on this matter as well and you don't know the situation either as they could be correct.

Agreed for the most part. But a judgement was made on the situation without most of the facts. He pulled a gun on LE. Easy to say he got what was coming, if that is all there is to it I agree wholeheartedly. And have no reason to doubt that LE did exactly what they needed to. But the response I was referring to was smugly glib, lacking in all the facts and the comfort of hindsight.

Newb
03-09-2009, 14:26
Wow, didn't take long for this simple posting to turn to an disagreement. Yay for us!

Gray Blazer
03-09-2009, 14:27
Any names yet?

wrongway_08
03-09-2009, 14:34
A gun pulled on anyone without cause is a good reason to kill him, weather this worthless crap pulled it on a LE or citizen. At least worthless crap pulled it on a LE because most citizens cant carry a gun and would have been shot dead.

I would like to know (just for fun), if worthless crap has been in trouble with the law before or if we (citizens) are lucky enough for worthless crap to have been killed before having a record prior to this.

Any rate, thanks for posting.

warraghiyagey
03-09-2009, 14:36
I would like to know (just for fun), if worthless crap has been in trouble with the law before or if we (citizens) are lucky enough for worthless crap to have been killed before having a record prior to this.

Any rate, thanks for posting.
Exactly. . . more info would certainly help. . .

4eyedbuzzard
03-09-2009, 14:38
One of the comments on the news reports was that there was a spike strip deployed after a high speed chase in the area, but the poster didn't know if it was related to this incident or if their was something else going on at the same time. Other than that, FBI says it will likely be several days before details are released.

fehchet
03-09-2009, 14:40
Wait for the condensed and cleansed story from the Powers.

Spogatz
03-09-2009, 14:43
Any minute now someone is going to post how the LE should have shot to wound the perp or shot the gun out of his hand. I just know that poster is out there......

wrongway_08
03-09-2009, 14:49
Any minute now someone is going to post how the LE should have shot to wound the perp or shot the gun out of his hand. I just know that poster is out there......

Always is.... one of the same ones who post "we need to give every rapist, murder, child molester, all crimminals a 2nd - 3rd - 4th - 5th - 6th attempt because sooner or later God said they will change and i believe in my heart they will........ some day ....... given enough chances" .....cry,cry,cry,cry babies.

or the ones that say "do you really think we should kill crimminals just because it cost so much money to keep them in prison for life... we shouyldnt kill them because life is precious." .......cry,cry,cry,cry babies.

You know the cop should have let the guy empty his weapon first, then walked over and handcuffed him peacefully ......:D:rolleyes::D:rolleyes::D:rolleyes::D:rolle yes::D:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

medicjimr
03-09-2009, 14:51
Well hopefully it was no direct conection with the park and just the idiot was passing through. But unfortunatly crimes are commited everywhere ie church pastor murdered yesterday.

4eyedbuzzard
03-09-2009, 14:51

Well, DUH! They could have just fired one well placed shot at the poor man's brachial nerve and thus disabled his gun hand and restrained themselves from their desire to mortally wound him.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

wrongway_08
03-09-2009, 14:53
hahahahah, good one!!!

4eyedbuzzard
03-09-2009, 14:55
Saw it in a movie once--it didn't work there either.

Frosty
03-09-2009, 15:01
Agreed for the most part. But a judgement was made on the situation without most of the facts. He pulled a gun on LE. Easy to say he got what was coming, if that is all there is to it So what are these extenuating circumstances of yours that make pulling a gun and firing on law enforcement a reasonable and logical thing to do?

I am trying to imagine a scenario, any situation, which could be made better by firing a gun at law enforcement who have stopped your vehicle.

Someone suggested that he might be mentally disturbed. I would submit that no one in their right mind would start shooting at cops who have stopped their vehicle.

boarstone
03-09-2009, 15:19
So a search in Yahoo! under news, put in Shenandoh (sp) shooting. It brings up some interesting info about what happened just before this guy was stopped and shot. Seems he was up to no good that same day.

Newb
03-09-2009, 15:20
hehe. Here in DC metro area over the weekend a masked gunman attempted to rob a guy sitting in his car in DC. Unfortunately for the would-be perpetrator, the intended victim was an off-duty cop who was resting in his vehicle. The off-duty officer promptly shot the criminal dead.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/09/AR2009030901398.html

boarstone
03-09-2009, 15:23
Alright! The economy is making a comeback...saving all that taxpayers money!

Lugnut
03-09-2009, 15:33
Agreed for the most part. But a judgement was made on the situation without most of the facts. He pulled a gun on LE. Easy to say he got what was coming, if that is all there is to it I agree wholeheartedly. And have no reason to doubt that LE did exactly what they needed to. But the response I was referring to was smugly glib, lacking in all the facts and the comfort of hindsight.

Is there like some triple eclipse, a rip in the space time fabric or something. Warraghy is starting to make sense! :eek:

Mags
03-09-2009, 16:41
I am going to make a preemptive post here:

Feel free to discuss the incident. However, if it turns to yet another
round of pro/anti-gun debates in the National Parks (or 2nd amendment debate in general) , I have an itchy trigger finger and I will close this thread. :sun

Grazie!

ColdFire
03-09-2009, 17:08
I heard he was a thru hiker trying to cheat and skip ahead in line so they shot him. :banana

wrongway_08
03-09-2009, 18:19
One good thing about the downed economy, the crimminals are getting desperate and being shot dead. Heck if this keeps up, we might really be able to clean up the streets.

wrongway_08
03-09-2009, 18:21
oops, post jumped, never mind

4eyedbuzzard
03-09-2009, 18:46
One good thing about the downed economy, the crimminals are getting desperate and being shot dead. Heck if this keeps up, we might really be able to clean up the streets.

Thank you Mr. Kersey.

Tinker
03-09-2009, 20:19
When I was a young boy, a police officer who lived down the steet shot a man in his car when he was drawn upon. It can and does happen anywhere (including my sleepy hometown of Barrington, R.I.). What's the big deal? :-?

Blue Jay
03-09-2009, 20:55
Sorry to dump water on an interesting thread but the AT is not very close to the driving entrance of the park.

Gray Blazer
03-10-2009, 09:53
Sorry to dump water on an interesting thread but the AT is not very close to the driving entrance of the park.
A lot of hikers walk down to that 7-11 in that there Front Royal right by the entrance.

4eyedbuzzard
03-10-2009, 10:16
More news:
"...Unconfirmed reports from sources at the scene indicate the suspect lowered a rifle or shotgun toward state and local police after running over roadblock tire-flattening spikes, colliding with a pickup truck and rolling to a stop on the shoulder of the inbound lanes to Shenandoah National Park. The vehicle had been outbound as a chase ensued within the park.
According to a statement from Virginia State Police Spokesman F. L. Tyler several hours after the incident, National Park Service authorities requested assistance from state and local police in stopping a vehicle traveling north on Skyline Drive at approximately 11 am., March 8, 2009. A BOL (Be on the Lookout) alert had been issued for the vehicle. While an officer on the scene said the victim was a suspect in a homicide, that information could not immeidately be confirmed.
One local government official said the driver had acted in a suspicious manner at a scenic overlook on Skyline Drive and when the park ranger called in the Virginia license plate the owner was listed as wanted in an area “down south.”..."
Full article: http://wcrnews.wordpress.com/2009/03/09/rumors-abound-as-facts-surrounding-park-shooting-remain-sparse/

Pedaling Fool
03-10-2009, 10:25
Did I miss that in earlier reports? He was driving on Skyline drive and was seen acting suspiciously at an overlook.

Vibe
03-10-2009, 10:34
Always is.... one of the same ones who post "we need to give every rapist, murder, child molester, all crimminals a 2nd - 3rd - 4th - 5th - 6th attempt because sooner or later God said they will change and i believe in my heart they will........ some day ....... given enough chances" .....cry,cry,cry,cry babies.

or the ones that say "do you really think we should kill crimminals just because it cost so much money to keep them in prison for life... we shouyldnt kill them because life is precious." .......cry,cry,cry,cry babies.

That's what reincarnation is for. :D

Is there like some triple eclipse, a rip in the space time fabric or something. Warraghy is starting to make sense! :eek:
You noticed that too I see. (Maybe that particular computer has been hijacked???)

4eyedbuzzard
03-10-2009, 10:38
Did I miss that in earlier reports? He was driving on Skyline drive and was seen acting suspiciously at an overlook.

I just saw the update this morning and noticed the "suspicious behavior" and possible outstanding warrant issues which we were speculating about yesterday.

Newb
03-10-2009, 14:31
What constitutes suspicious behaviour on a scenic overlook? Hopefully not drying your hiking clothes , putting duct tape on your blisters, and yogi-ing food from tourists.

rickb
03-10-2009, 15:39
Strange world we live in where something like this requires the authories to close the road down for 8 plus hours for their investigation.

Too bad they couldn't just shake the officer's hand, complement him on good markmanship and wave visitors on by while waiting for the tow truck.

wrongway_08
03-10-2009, 15:54
Thank you Mr. Kersey.

I wish I could be as great as him...... there are only 1 like him in every 300 million ................... wish it was more like 1 in every 3........:-? ... that'd make the world a better place.

Kersey = Charles Bronson in Death Wish Movies. Other wise known as the biggest, baddest, greatest bad guy killer out there!!!!!

wrongway_08
03-10-2009, 15:59
Too bad they couldn't just shake the officer's hand, complement him on good markmanship and wave visitors on by while waiting for the tow truck.

Not in the US, gotta justify why we kill worthless people.... even when there is no question as to why he got killed.

Mags
03-10-2009, 16:04
Kersey = Charles Bronson in Death Wish Movies. Other wise known as the biggest, baddest, greatest bad guy killer out there!!!!!

In related news, today is Chuck Norris' b-day.

He turned 69.

Bulldawg
03-10-2009, 21:04
In related news, today is Chuck Norris' b-day.

He turned 69.

Awesome dude, great age!!

Homer&Marje
03-11-2009, 17:23
Don't worry. Plenty more incidents will happen now that you can carry and conceal in National Parks. Thank 2nd Amendment users and the abusers.

Hooch
03-11-2009, 17:30
Don't worry. Plenty more incidents will happen now that you can carry and conceal in National Parks. Thank 2nd Amendment users and the abusers.Sorry, but it's not responsible gun owners who cause the problems, Homer. It's people who aren't properly trained in the use of firearms and use them in an inappropriate manner that make a mess for the rest of gun owners. Don't blame the actions of a few on the whole, because it just isn't so.

Pedaling Fool
03-11-2009, 17:32
Don't worry. Plenty more incidents will happen now that you can carry and conceal in National Parks. Thank 2nd Amendment users and the abusers.
Some people just don't get it.

Hooch
03-11-2009, 17:33
Some people just don't get it.Not to name names, but their initals would be Homer & Marje.

Blue Jay
03-11-2009, 17:34
A lot of hikers walk down to that 7-11 in that there Front Royal right by the entrance.

I think you're mistaken. There are hundreds of better places all around the city and all of them much closer to the AT on foot. Why does every crime within a hundred miles of the AT have to be reported here? There is enough fear mongering on TV.

Mags
03-11-2009, 17:39
Please, no 2nd amendment discussion. Thanks!

This is the last warning shot. :)

Vibe
03-11-2009, 17:41

Pedaling Fool
03-11-2009, 17:58
Please, no 2nd amendment discussion. Thanks!

This is the last warning shot. :)
Warning shots are very dangerous and not authorized in most hostile encounters, but since your a mod I'll heed the warning:sun

Hooch
03-11-2009, 18:10
http://www.youdebate.com/DEBATES/SECONDAMENDMENT.HTM

Secret Squirrel
03-11-2009, 18:10

4eyedbuzzard
03-11-2009, 18:11
Latest news I've found: http://www.nvdaily.com/news/2009/03/-a-day-after-gun-battle-van-searched-in.html

wrongway_08
03-11-2009, 18:12

4eyedbuzzard
03-11-2009, 18:13
No need to feed the trolls, 4EB. Most any time he posts to a gun thread he only serves to show his ignorance. Just sayin'.

I deleted it after hitting post as I had started typing it prior to Mag's post asking us not to discuss it.

Mags
03-11-2009, 22:57
Boy, I went out to have a nice dinner and I see some of you in a tizzy trying to having a pissing contest. :)

Again, feel free to discuss the issue directly as it pertains to the AT, SNP, etc..(like the news article posted) but I've rarely seen straight up 2nd amendment discussions that stick to well, HIKING.

For those who feel the need, I direct you to:
http://www.youdebate.com/DEBATES/SECONDAMENDMENT.HTM

Enjoy!

4eyedbuzzard
03-11-2009, 23:34
Shenandoah National Park - Skyline Drive - Front Royal, VA - The investigation remains ongoing into the fatal shooting that took place on Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park Sunday, March 8, 2009. The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), National Park Service and Virginia State Police are conducting the joint investigation. Also assisting with the case is the United States Attorney’s Office of the Western District and Fort Eustis officials.
At approximately 11:35 a.m. Sunday, the National Park Service and Virginia State Police attempted to stop a 1999 Ford minivan as it traveled southbound on Skyline Drive within the Shenandoah National Park. A pursuit ensued southbound and then northbound on Skyline Drive. The van finally stopped for police approximately 1/10 of a mile south of the exit for Route 340 in Warren County.
The driver of the minivan, Christopher N. Lanum, 25, of Fort Eustis, Va., was wanted by Fort Eustis officials for an attempted homicide that had occurred early Sunday morning at the military installation....
http://wcrnews.wordpress.com/2009/03/11/subject-named-in-skyline-drive-shooting/

4eyedbuzzard
03-12-2009, 00:44
And more:
The FBI is investigating the death of a Fort Eustis soldier who allegedly attacked a comrade, then fled across Virginia before being killed in a shootout with police in Shenandoah National Park.
A ccording to a joint statement released Thursday evening, the FBI, Virginia State Police and National Park Service are investigating the events that ended with the death of Spc. Christopher N. Lanum.
The statement said, Lanum, 25, was wanted for questioning after an incident Sunday at the Newport News base. Army officials said Spc. Mitchell Stone was taken to a hospital with neck wounds around 6 a.m. Sunday. Stone was able to identify his attacker, who fled the base.
A round 11:35 a.m. in rural Warren County, park rangers responding to an alert tried to stop Lanum as he drove a mini-van south on Skyline Drive, authorities said. He eventually stopped. As a state trooper and "other law enforcement" approached the van, they saw that the driver had a gun.
"Shots were fired and Lanum was pronounced dead at the scene," the release said. Authorities did not say whether Lanum fired at officers or how many were people involved...

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/03/fbi-investigates-death-soldier-stabbing-fort-eustis

4eyedbuzzard
03-12-2009, 09:03
Please all, lets keep this discussion about the actual incident in the park, as Mag's, the moderator of this forum, has requested.

Mags
03-12-2009, 10:59
Egads...who needs to look for a job. I can just moderate WB all day. ;)

Look, I am pretty chill. But man, honestly..in all your discussion about the 2nd amendment ..has anyone changed anyone's mind? Really.

(Thanks to Alligator and Buzzard for some clean-up)

Anyway, it really is simple. Do you want to talk about SNP and how it relates? Cool. Post away.

Want to prove what a smart cookie you are and play constitutional lawyers? Go here: http://www.youdebate.com/DEBATES/SECONDAMENDMENT.HTM

I'm a dumb-ass myself. I don't need to prove how dumb I am by debating this issue. For those who are smart, go to the above. ;)

4eyedbuzzard
03-12-2009, 11:18
Egads...who needs to look for a job. I can just moderate WB all day. ;)
The pay and benefits suck. And in case you haven't heard, ATTROLL is getting filthy rich off this sweat shop for profit website while all we get are the crumbs...:rolleyes:

I'm a dumb-ass myself....
Hmm, I thought you were the Court Jester.:confused: Double dipping, eh?;)

Blue Jay
03-12-2009, 11:39
Anyway, it really is simple. Do you want to talk about SNP and how it relates? Cool. Post away.

That's not fair, we can't because it does not.

Mags
03-12-2009, 12:00
That's not fair, we can't because it does not.

Don't you have better things to worry about?

In the immortal words of Pappa Mags "Frig it..."

Bunch of kvetchers who have nothing better to do.

I DO have better things to do rather than babysit. :)

This thread is closed.

Hmm, I thought you were the Court Jester.:confused: Double dipping, eh?

I am multi-talented. I am putting it on my resume. ;)