PDA

View Full Version : Erwin, TN to Damascus, VA

Bucky Katt
03-09-2009, 14:04
What can you tell me about this section? What is the terrain like in this area, was it memorable, if so, why, etc?

Thanks.

CrumbSnatcher
03-09-2009, 18:36
one of the best sections of the entire trail, IMO. get yourself a thruhikers handbook. and check it out. alot of bald mtns. and easy terrain the last 30 miles into damascus. i'd tell you more but my dominos pizza has arrived...

Blissful
03-09-2009, 19:34
The bald area is spectacular in good weather but can get cold and windy.

Stop at Kincora.

John B
03-09-2009, 19:41
It's a very nice section. The first day you'll hike over Unaka Mt., which is spruce covered and reminds me of the Black Forest in Germany (I've never personally seen the Black Forest -- only pics -- but they look the same. There's a great camping spot on top of Unaka, but no water there so pack it up if you want. I'm section hiking NOBO and Unaka is unlike anyplace I've ever seen thus far. Really great.

Roan Mt is next. I didn't like it at all, mostly because it kicked my ass. It's a hard climb. There's a great view at the top, though. There's a shelter at the top, too, but although it looks nice on the outside, inside it's really just a dark box. You can camp near it under a nice pine canopy.

Next up will be the Hump Mts., which are balds. They're very, very cool. Maybe one of my favorite places. From the bottom of the first Hump Mt., you can see the trail going up. Hikers look like small specks.

You'll see Overmountain Shelter, which is a great shelter. Three levels, very well designed. Someone carved a bear from a pretty big log -- unless some dumbazz has stolen or disfigured it, you'll get to see that, too.

The next big thing for me was Kincora Hostel. The owner is really nice and it's a great place to get cleaned up, do laundry, etc.

As others have said, the hike from Kincora to Damascus isn't bad, except climbing Pond Mt. was pretty rough for a bit. You can do big miles in this section.

Water wasn't a problem for me, but I've heard it can get pretty dry between Kincora and Damascus at times.

It's a nice section. You'll enjoy it.

maxNcathy
03-09-2009, 19:53
Greasy Creek Hostel is a good place to get warm by the wood stove and chat and eat with Cee Cee the friendly owner.
Sandalwood

kayak karl
03-09-2009, 19:54
The bald area is spectacular in good weather but can get cold and windy.

Stop at Kincora.
nice hike. i second stopping at bob peoples place, kincora

rockdawg69
03-09-2009, 20:06
If you have time, don't miss Grassy Ridge. After crossing the highway north of Roan Mtn, go past Round and Jane Balds and hang a right up the side trail to Grassy. You can see forever on a clear day. Both Hump Mtns are visible, as well as Mt Rogers, Beech, and Grandfather Mtns.
Have fun!

TOW
03-09-2009, 20:08
A lot of lefts and rights in this section.........very few ups and downs though...

grizzlyadam
03-09-2009, 20:13
i'd tell you more but my dominos pizza has arrived...

shoeless jon was meeting me at the highway 321 crossing at watauga lake with a food drop in 2002. not only did he show up with my food drop, but also showed up with a still hot dominos pizza...

best pizza ever.

Doctari
03-09-2009, 22:44
Dude, that is such a nice section!!
Granted, getting water for at the Vandeventer shelter way sucks, but other than that, WOW! You will need to allow time to pick your jaw back up after it hits the ground from the views.

Take your time on the down hill into Damascus, not terribly long, but steep in places, & you can see "signs of town" for quite a bit, so that can be quite an incentive to hurry.

Bring a Camera! Bring a GOOD camera! I did not :(

Tennessee Viking
03-10-2009, 00:10
What can you tell me about this section? What is the terrain like in this area, was it memorable, if so, why, etc?

Thanks.Being my club's section, it is one of the top maintained sections of the AT. We are relocating a lot of what was once up&over eroded trail to gradual hillside & switchbacks. One main reason why the trail looks so good is because we utilize help from Konnarock Crews, hikers on our weekly outings & at Hardcore, and school groups.

Terrain-wise, you will have some up and downs. The hardest climbs will be Hughes Gap to Cloudland on Roan. 2500 feet in 2.5 miles. But most of the terrain from Watauga Lake to Damascus is all ridgetop.

It has some of best scenary, the Roan balds, Watauga Lake, Laurel Falls, Beauty Spot, and Roaring Creek Valley.

I will have to admit it is one of the highest travelled sections, so you will see a lot of sectioners and day hikers, then tourists. So be aware that you will not be alone.

It is also a great social section, thru hiker alumni come back to the area to revisit Roan & Unaka. The hostels are another great attraction; Kincora, Johnnys, Mountain Harbor, & Braemar. Then the Great Bash of Damascus, or also known as Trail Days, each year.

Only problem about the section is humidity and occasional dry weather. So plan on hiking it in late winter & early spring.

Come on down.

Local
03-10-2009, 08:50
One of the most beautiful sections south of Damascus, with the high balds a unique feature. Not sure about parking, however, since in the "old" days we had our vehicles broken into consistently when we parked at Erwin. I think the locals are more civilized now. Once we ran into a guy with a motorcycle on the AT and were about to intervene, when we noticed the guy behind him had a rifle. Shades of Deliverance. Later some friends went out and clotheslined a bunch of cycle riders. But I do think things have changed greatly.

CrumbSnatcher
03-10-2009, 09:36
Dude, that is such a nice section!!
Granted, getting water for at the Vandeventer shelter way sucks, but other than that, WOW! You will need to allow time to pick your jaw back up after it hits the ground from the views.

Take your time on the down hill into Damascus, not terribly long, but steep in places, & you can see "signs of town" for quite a bit, so that can be quite an incentive to hurry.

Bring a Camera! Bring a GOOD camera! I did not :(
i've never bothered trying to get water at vandeventer shelter after the first time. i always load up at the spring (right on the trail)1.7 miles south of the shelter, good source. the trail leading into damascus from vandeventer gets easier as you go. it's called the tennessee turnpike. because you can cruise big fast miles thru here.

sheepdog
03-10-2009, 09:44
Lots of good info!!!

Bucky Katt
03-10-2009, 09:57
wow thanks for the info. I've actually hiked Roan Mountain from Carvers Gap to US 19E---maybe I should start on the other side of Roan.....going towards Damascus for something new. I need to consult the guide book. Thanks again for all the info! Sounds great. I thought someone recommended this stretch for its amazing views but couldnt remember.

CrumbSnatcher
03-10-2009, 11:31
wow thanks for the info. I've actually hiked Roan Mountain from Carvers Gap to US 19E---maybe I should start on the other side of Roan.....going towards Damascus for something new. I need to consult the guide book. Thanks again for all the info! Sounds great. I thought someone recommended this stretch for its amazing views but couldnt remember.
carvers gap to 19e is the sweet spot! IMO. you might of hiked some of the roan highlands. but if you started at carvers and went north you didn't climb roan mtn. good views coming out of erwin too. if you went a little farther south like sams gap or devils fork,you'd love the views and the trail dropping down into erwin is cool. most hikers choose the whites and maine as thier favorite sections of the trail. but to me the views are awesome up in the whites and maine but my favorite part of the trail is anywhere between springer mtn. and front royal virginia.

Bucky Katt
03-10-2009, 13:05
Hmmm so much trail to choose from, so little time....

Doctari
03-10-2009, 17:12
i've never bothered trying to get water at vandeventer shelter after the first time. i always load up at the spring (right on the trail)1.7 miles south of the shelter, good source. the trail leading into damascus from vandeventer gets easier as you go. it's called the tennessee turnpike. because you can cruise big fast miles thru here.

YEP! My next time thru there that I will do. But I didn't know any better then, & the guide books have 'Water is along way down" listed for many springs, so,,,,,

The guide should say: water is a LONG way DOWN

Bloomer
03-11-2009, 16:27
I'm starting this section next week 3/18 on a hike to the mason dixon line Caldonia Stae Park Rt 30 . The first days being my hardest days for an out of shape 39yr old will consist of this here discussion topic.

10-K
03-12-2009, 19:24
I hiked this section SOBO last year and really enjoyed it.

It was just getting dusk when I hiked by the side trail to Hurricane Campground. The best decision of my hike was to stay at the campground. Nice, hot showers and the family camping next to me fed me buffalo dogs and corn on the cob. Great campsites too.

BTW, it's about half-mile to the campground off the AT if my memory is correct but it's an easy hike.

and now that I think about it, this might have been the Atkins-Damascus section. It all runs together after a while....

Pacific Tortuga
03-12-2009, 19:49
[quote=Doctari;798189]Dude, that is such a nice section!!

Not if you stay at the camp spot down there and not the shelter.
Maybe it was the 'good stretch of the legs down there', but I thought it was one of the best tasting springs, nice and cold too.

Cookerhiker
03-12-2009, 21:33
I echo what most others have said - it's a very rewarding section. In fact, if I faced a choice of where to hike on the AT in early May, this is the section I'd choose. I hiked it in May '05 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=97363) and particularly enjoyed the bluets, spring beauties, columbine, larkspur, trillium, and numerous other wildflowers. Laurel Falls was also a highlight.

The section from Rte. 321 to Damascus is fairly easy especially after you've hiked from Erwin over Beauty Spot, Unaka, Roan, Pond Mt., and the PUDs in-between. And there's lots of stealth camping opportunities.

Red Hat
03-13-2009, 10:42
yep, hurricane campground is north of Damascus, not south... but either way are nice sections....

chiefduffy
04-30-2009, 04:04
I will be hiking this section starting early next week. I would welcome any current water reports, cautions-notes-warnings, words to the wise, etc. Thanks

-Duffy

TOW
04-30-2009, 05:07
Plenty of water.......

fehchet
04-30-2009, 07:19
See you out there chiefduffy.