PDA

View Full Version : MaryJanesFarm.org - Organic Food

freedompirate01
03-09-2009, 16:13
I'm looks for reviews on the different foods they sell that is suited for backpacking.

Also do you purchase the individual packets or buy in bulk? If you buy bulk how do you pack it?

Thanks!

kyhipo
03-09-2009, 16:47
doit by the pound system,LIKE anything else girl.I think its about oz.janet you have seen what pizza does and the rest will.ky

freedompirate01
03-09-2009, 17:47
How do I edit my first post? I made some typos and want to make it more clear.

I have nothing to do with Mary Jane besides wanting to order some of her food. 8)

I'm looking for opinions from people who have tried some before.

-Pete

jrwiesz
03-09-2009, 17:59
I'm looks for reviews on the different foods they sell that is suited for backpacking.

Also do you purchase the individual packets or buy in bulk? If you buy bulk how do you pack it?

Thanks!

I bought most all of it in bulk, once I decided which I liked best, by first trying a few of the "sample" combinations.
I liked the Chili Mac-n-cheese, Black bean and Corn Chowder, Lentil Bisque, Nick's Couch Potatoes the best; all of her stuff is good in my opinion, to each his own.
Her salsa and the spicy black beans are good if you get a bag of tortilla chips and shredded cheese at a resupply stop, makes respectable trail nachos/dip.
One of the nicest perks of her stuff is that most of it already has spices added to the mix; just add hot water, stir, wait a few minutes, stir, eat.

RAW
03-09-2009, 18:25
I haven't tried everything they offer, but I've tried a decent assortment.
The Chili-mac is the best.
The various pasta combinations could use a little extra seasoning, but are otherwise good.

Tipi Walter
03-09-2009, 19:17
About 6 years ago I made a big Mary Jane order when she sold in 10 pound bulk cartons, now replaced by her 3 pound bulk cartons. She may have done this to sell less but for more money. Anway, all I ever ate for years were her different dehydrated meals, the black bean and the veggie pasta being two of my favorites. But like anything else, after several years I grew tired of the taste and moved on to Tasty Bites meals in the pouch, which are heavier but danged good. They can be bought by the carton of 12 meals for about $28.

I keep experimenting and I'm always on the lookout for more choices. Hawk Vittles, Backcountrypantry, etc. Right now I'm on a Richmoor Natural High kick.

sarbar
03-09-2009, 19:34
Order a bunch of the meals (they are technically 1 1/2 servings per pouch...ie..1 serving!) See what you like that way.

As well, they don't contain meat, so if you like meat consider adding in. Some men with large appetites may not find the pouch filling enough.

Otherwise, yes, they are good tasting. Slightly on the hippy side of taste, but still good ;)

Blue Jay
03-09-2009, 21:04
I also like this stuff, bought in bulk. A little expensive but I think it's worth it.

mudcap
03-09-2009, 22:44
Good stuff, I really like the flavor.

theinfamousj
03-09-2009, 23:13
Black Bean and Corn chowder is my current favorite. So if you order in bulk and decide you don't like it, I'm sure the rest of us on WB (or perhaps just me) could take that flavor off your hands.

Skyline
03-09-2009, 23:14
I like a lot of Mary Jane's offerings. You can buy the regular size or the "outpost" size which is half again as much.

To my taste, the soups are better than the meals with a lot of pasta in them. I typically add my own dehydrated veggies to the soups and then they are more like meals without so much pasta as filler. YMMV.

Best part is the simplicity of it all. Just boil water, add to the packet, stir, roll up, open up in a few minutes, stir again, eat. The packaging is burnable—unlike Mountain House and those types of meals. Also much of it is organic. There are even vegetarian and vegan offerings. Cheaper than Mountain House, too.

winger
03-10-2009, 12:29
How do they (Mary Janes) compare with Enertia dehydrated foods?

CrumbSnatcher
03-10-2009, 13:04
How do I edit my first post? I made some typos and want to make it more clear.

I have nothing to do with Mary Jane besides wanting to order some of her food. 8)

I'm looking for opinions from people who have tried some before.

-Pete

If you become a donating member you can edit posts, I think the minimum is like $10, but you can donate more-every little bit helps

sarbar
03-10-2009, 13:55
How do they (Mary Janes) compare with Enertia dehydrated foods?
MJ's are way better. They don't contain artificial flavors, colors, preservatives and most are very healthy in the sodium area.

jrwiesz
03-15-2009, 03:52
MJ's are way better. They don't contain artificial flavors, colors, preservatives and most are very healthy in the sodium area.

Just curious, have you every tried her organic garlic she sells? I believe it's sold for a limited time, in the spring/summer?

Her magazine, advertisement free, is also a good read.:sun

sarbar
03-15-2009, 10:50
Her magazine, advertisement free, is also a good read.:sun

You bet it is! Her books are neat as well :)

Bear Cables
03-22-2009, 19:59
Love the MJ Organic foods . Easy to prep and tasty. Favorites are the Bare Bean Burrito and the Potato Soup.

Bear Cables
03-22-2009, 20:00
Has anyone tried cooking the breads while on the trail? I'm thinking about trying this on my next trip but am curious about the amount of extra fuel I would need to bring to bake for 15 min.

Egads
03-22-2009, 20:28
Black Bean and Corn chowder is my current favorite. So if you order in bulk and decide you don't like it, I'm sure the rest of us on WB (or perhaps just me) could take that flavor off your hands.

Where do you order in bulk? REI carries, but a bit pricey:(

sarbar
03-22-2009, 20:37
Has anyone tried cooking the breads while on the trail? I'm thinking about trying this on my next trip but am curious about the amount of extra fuel I would need to bring to bake for 15 min.

Yes, works well. Your best bet is to use a non-stick pot or fry pan lid. If you have one, a lightweight heat diffuser works wonders. Just cook on a lower flame, keep an eye on it and check often.

You can make your own pretty easy as well.

And don't skimp on the oil while cooking! It gives it a tasty golden brown crust on both sides.

Egads
03-22-2009, 21:43
Where do you order in bulk? REI carries, but a bit pricey:(

Much better pricing here in bulk:)
http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/categories/food-pantry.asp?ck=TGHU0-I0AZhy-wP_&vid=TGHU0-I0AbBy-5Wj&cktime=79074

theinfamousj
03-22-2009, 22:12
-