PDA

View Full Version : What can't I bring on a plane?

Neurosis
03-09-2009, 16:27
Ive never flown anywhere in my life, so airports and me especially there security laws are a foreign concept in my head. So rather then get a huge list of items they do not allow, I figured I'd ask here considering you all probably have a good understanding of what a thru-hiker would pack.

So anything you know for sure airports with slap my wrist for would be appreciated so I can get an idea of what im going to have to buy once in Atlanta. Thanks.

4eyedbuzzard
03-09-2009, 16:35
READ: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

AND

http://www.tsa.gov/311/index.shtm

You can CHECK almost anything except fuel/flammables which you simply can't put anywhere on an airplane.
For carry on, things like sharp tent stakes, pocket knives, scissors, even nail clippers, etc, can be a problem.

P.S. (Shameless solicitation) You can edit by becoming a donating member of Whiteblaze :D Where else can you great hiking info delivered with a mix of humor, sarcasm and more at such a low price?

peanuts
03-09-2009, 16:37
fuel, knife, matches, lighter(i think) its best to get those things when you are at your destination. if your pack is to big to carry one, place in a cheap duffel and check it.

Slo-go'en
03-09-2009, 16:54
Chances are good your pack is too big to carry on, so will have to go as checked luggage. You can't fit anything bigger than a lightly packed day-pack in the overhead or under the seat and since everyone is trying to avoid checked luggage fees, those overheads fill up fast.

Personally, I would not trust the airlines with my pack. It only costs about 20 bucks to ups to a place like the Hikers Hostel and thats well worth the peace of mind.

Tin Man
03-09-2009, 16:58
Don't bring Warrghy on the plane. He don't fit in the overhead or under the seat.

The Weasel
03-09-2009, 17:06
Some airlines won't allow stoves, and it is risky to rely on website information or even if you speak to someone live, since they can't prevent inspectors going into your pack/suitcase once it is checked in. That risks getting to Atlanta and finding your stove is missing.

The safest way to get a stove there is to make sure it and any fuel bottle/tank are empty of fuel (use compressed air to blow the tank/bottle - use gas station air if free - totally free of fumes and repeat, then rinse with alcohol and re-blowout, since "sniffer" machines can pick up the fume smell in shipping companies/post office) and send by USPS. Close tanks/bottles tightly, and clean the external stove with alcohol and compressed air also. That should get it through.

Weasy

Tin Man
03-09-2009, 17:18
let's see. don't reply on website info... but i'll tell ya anyway. hmm. :-?

The Weasel
03-09-2009, 17:31
Some airlines won't allow stoves, and it is risky to rely on website information or even if you speak to someone live, since they can't prevent inspectors going into your pack/suitcase once it is checked in. That risks getting to Atlanta and finding your stove is missing.

Weasy

let's see. don't reply on website info... but i'll tell ya anyway. hmm. :-?

I was referring to the airline and TSA websites, not here. It is common for the airline and government websites to say one thing, and then the actual inspectors inside the baggage areas do something else.

Sorry for the confusion.

Weasy

Tin Man
03-09-2009, 17:36

The safest way to get a stove there is to make sure it and any fuel bottle/tank are empty of fuel (use compressed air to blow the tank/bottle - use gas station air if free - totally free of fumes and repeat, then rinse with alcohol and re-blowout, since "sniffer" machines can pick up the fume smell in shipping companies/post office) and send by USPS. Close tanks/bottles tightly, and clean the external stove with alcohol and compressed air also. That should get it through.

Weasy

but how do i clean the alcohol off my alcohol stove? ... oh, i see, use alcohol.

garlic08
03-09-2009, 17:49
When I flew to Atlanta, I carried everything on except a razor blade I use as a knife and bought one of those in Atlanta. When I flew home from Boston, TSA wouldn't let me carry on my tent stakes or my trekking poles. But in front of me getting on the plane were two people carrying on trekking poles. So it all depends on the agent, and you don't argue with them. You can try to carry it all on, but leave enough time to go back and check it if needed.

Definitely do not try to carry on a knife or fuel! I don't carry either so it wasn't an issue.

warraghiyagey
03-09-2009, 17:54
Pretty sure explosives are illegal. . .

Feral Bill
03-09-2009, 17:59
The main problem is stoves. I would not try to check one, no matter how clean and fuel free. Too much risk of trouble.

4eyedbuzzard
03-09-2009, 18:43
Pretty sure explosives are illegal. . .

Yeah, they don't even allow RDX plastics even though they're stable. Kill joys. Just carry on smaller quantities of a binary in cosmetic containers in your 311 baggie. Problem solved. :rolleyes:

Panzer1
03-09-2009, 19:09
If you feel the need to bring a fuel bottle, I would recommend bringing a bran new fuel bottle that never had fuel in it. That way there is no issue with the "sniffers" .

Panzer

Panzer1
03-09-2009, 19:17
If I was flying to Springer I think I would mail all my "hard gear" to to the hiker hostel and carry my pack with my "soft gear" like clothes, sleeping bag, mattress, that kind of stuff.

Also, I think that if you try to get on the plane carrying nothing, they would be very suspicious of you. If you think about it, suicide bombers don't need any luggage.

Panzer

Blissful
03-09-2009, 19:32
I hope it will be okay to take my pocket rocket inside the red case (no fuel of course). We have to fly with gear in June to Utah. I figured we'd have to check our trekking poles in a duffel bag along with our main gear. Did anyone have problems checking gear in a large duffel bag?

Slo-go'en
03-09-2009, 19:39
Also, I think that if you try to get on the plane carrying nothing, they would be very suspicious of you. If you think about it, suicide bombers don't need any luggage.

Panzer

I flew to Tampa last year pre hike with just a small, disposable waist pack/pouch and a one way ticket without rising an eyebrow. Sent my pack UPS to my folks house who then drove me to Springer. Lots of people ship luggage ahead these days.

4eyedbuzzard
03-09-2009, 20:02
...If you think about it, suicide bombers don't need any luggage.

I'd think that they'd at least carry mouthwash. I mean, if it were me and I was gonna meet up with 69 virgins, I'd use mouthwash and even floss as well.

TOW
03-09-2009, 20:10
Ive never flown anywhere in my life, so airports and me especially there security laws are a foreign concept in my head. So rather then get a huge list of items they do not allow, I figured I'd ask here considering you all probably have a good understanding of what a thru-hiker would pack.

So anything you know for sure airports with slap my wrist for would be appreciated so I can get an idea of what im going to have to buy once in Atlanta. Thanks.
You cannot fly on a plane because of your trail name........they will know you are psychotic...........they will allow your bowie knife on the plane before they allow you on there..........sorry pal

The Weasel
03-09-2009, 20:17
but how do i clean the alcohol off my alcohol stove? ... oh, i see, use alcohol.

TM, perhaps if you think about it a while, you'll realize that the reason to use alcohol as a cleaning agent is that it leaves no residue with an odor.

Weasy

The Weasel
03-09-2009, 20:19
If you get problems with trekking poles from TSA, ask - politely - for a supervisor, and one will come over to you gladly and be helpful. Explain that they are trekking poles, and they have advisories which allow them, along with canes. I have always gotten mine through, and the supervisors have always been helpful.

TW

Frosty
03-09-2009, 21:12

So anything you know for sure airports with slap my wrist for would be appreciated so I can get an idea of what im going to have to buy once in Atlanta. Thanks.????

Get the list. Don't ask people what they THINK the airlines will allow and not allow. Save yourself potential grief. Get the list from the airlines which you will be flying.

stranger
03-09-2009, 21:53
I fly internationally about every 8 months, and I can tell you that everytime I come home, something is differernt with security in the US. Years ago they would take lighters off you, last time they didn't. Obviously fuel is a problem, and sometime stoves can be regardless of whether or not it has fuel in it. Best advice I could give is to ship your stove to your destination, keep your lighter in your checked luggage, and get fuel at your destination. If you do that, you won't have any problems. You could probably get away easily with packing your stove in your pack, and checking it, but make sure it's at the top of your pack so if they ask you for it you can get it out quickly - if that happens you will probably lose your stove as well.

The Weasel
03-09-2009, 22:24
If you ship things, and have a regard for the safety of the people involved in shipping (pilots, drivers, etc), make sure that you ask what is allowed by that shipper first. Many shippers fly their items, and a stove that had fuel in it is just as dangerous on a FedEx plane as on a USAir liner.

And don't trust the airline websites; while they are accurate, some TSA inspector in the baggage area of an airline may make a mistake and confiscate your stove. If you carry stoves, fuel bottles or such things on airlines, there is no certainty they will be there when you arrive. Usually, yes. Sometimes, no.

Weasy

JJJ
03-09-2009, 22:25
Snakes.

Jayboflavin04
03-09-2009, 22:35
This months backpacker magazine page 39. Things that you can take on a flight. Multitools/knife, ice axe, crampons, cleaned and washed liquid fuel bottles, clean or new stoves(no fuel canisters). THESE ITEMS NEED TO BE CHECKED, but you can take them. If you can take a knitting needle you could probably get away with sometype of aluminum tent stake, i would just inform security as you checked in. Or just buy the tent stakes that look like knitting needles.....use em till u can get replacements.

Hermes
03-10-2009, 07:35
When I flew on Northwest last year from Spokane to Sacramento and then back again (I was going to Yosemite with a full pack) I was able to bring everything. There was a prompt screen at the ticket line that asked if I was carrying any fuel, I was, which I let them know about and everything was fine. I guess again it depends on airline and their own regulations.

4eyedbuzzard
03-10-2009, 09:34
When I flew on Northwest last year from Spokane to Sacramento and then back again (I was going to Yosemite with a full pack) I was able to bring everything. There was a prompt screen at the ticket line that asked if I was carrying any fuel, I was, which I let them know about and everything was fine. I guess again it depends on airline and their own regulations.

Just FWIW, something ain't right here. Both liquid fuel and gas canisters are specifically prohibited by TSA, FAA, DOT, etc. and there just isn't any way an airline can choose to ignore that. I can't for the life of me figure out how what you describe is possible.

TheKO
03-10-2009, 10:21
First of all enjoy the flight - get a window seat so you can enjoy the view.
I have flown for many years and have gone with my hiking equipment. Everything in this thread is good stuff. Bottomline is check-in your pack.

Make sure it is well marked. Because of the backpack's external straps it is probably best to place your pack into a duffle bag. You can get a cheap one at Walmart. Dump it when you get to the trail. I wouldn't worry about a lock as TSA will probably open it anyway.

Do not take any fuel. Purchase when you get to your destination. Place all sharp objects-knives, anything else in the pack.

You can bring some liquids, but they must be small amounts (TSA website for latest info). Note - this includes water and booze. You can purchase bottled water after you go thru security but it is expensive there.

One other piece of advise - you will have to take your shoes, coat, hat and belt off - so be aware of this as it is a PITA.

Don't try to argue with TSA dudes (or dudettes) as they will win and do not usually want to spend time arguing with you.

flemdawg1
03-10-2009, 10:27
I hope it will be okay to take my pocket rocket inside the red case (no fuel of course). We have to fly with gear in June to Utah. I figured we'd have to check our trekking poles in a duffel bag along with our main gear. Did anyone have problems checking gear in a large duffel bag?

Flew from Alabama to California and back last year w/ my pack, tent, poles and and alcohol stove in my checked duffel. No problems.

Blissful
03-10-2009, 10:46
Good, thanks everyone. I have yet to fly with my gear, so June will be the first time. I dont want my trekking poles confiscated or anything else. If I check things, don't want them taking stuff out like the stove, tent poles, and trekking poles. PLus we are flying out of Dulles and they can be nasty there with some stuff (one lady had stuff removed from her checked bag).

The Weasel
03-10-2009, 10:53
Just thinking: Alcohol - in an original bottle from a drug store - would probably make it through checked baggage.

Weasy

Blissful
03-10-2009, 10:58
Anyone live in Utah, preferably SLC that would hold a box?
PM me. :)

Hermes
03-10-2009, 11:01
Just FWIW, something ain't right here. Both liquid fuel and gas canisters are specifically prohibited by TSA, FAA, DOT, etc. and there just isn't any way an airline can choose to ignore that. I can't for the life of me figure out how what you describe is possible.

Yeah I was suprized that it worked out, and also don't know how. On arrival I only had a small ammount of fuel left in one of the cans, so I figured I would try it and if they threw it out it wouldn't be too big of a deal. But they let me check it and it was fine. On the way back, I had even more left over fuel from tanks I had bought while out there. My friend even gave me his left over fuel becuase he couldn't take any when he flew in to meet me, so I took his as well. Once I got to the desk at the airport, I told them I was carrying camping fuel and filled out some information so it would be printed on my checked luggage ticket saying I had fuel inside and everything was fine. Probabaly a one in a million shot, but it worked out for me. When I fly on friday, I am going to leave my fuel home, just to be safe.

flemdawg1
03-10-2009, 11:02
Just thinking: Alcohol - in an original bottle from a drug store - would probably make it through checked baggage.

Weasy

Unfortunately, rubbing alcohol is not a good fuel. You need HEET or dentured alcohol form the auto parts or hardware store. Just buy it at your destination, if its a pretty popular hikinh destination there is probably a hiker box w/ fuel in it there. For example the charter boat operator for Channel Islands NP, had a box full of canisters (no alcohol though). It might be worth calling ahead.

boarstone
03-10-2009, 16:31
I'm flying to Asheville to hike for 8 days in June. I'm shipping my pack and gear via UPS. Cheaper and less hassle than the airline. I'd love for them to ask me why I don't have any carry- on or checked baggage!

Shutterbug
03-10-2009, 17:01

Weasy

I have heard that others have had a problem, but I have never had my stove questioned. I have flown with it dozens of times.

I merely wrap the stove (minus the fuel cannister) in aluminum foil, then place it in a zip lock.

Captain
03-10-2009, 17:35
what a coincidence, i hear thats that columbian drug runners do as well just in...larger scale..

tenlots
03-11-2009, 22:44
I pack my backpack (full), boots, poles. I carry on a light sweater, book, and all my money stuff. I buy fuel at an outfitter when I land. This all fits in an LLBean xtra large duffel....with wheels....you won't regret buying it. I leave it with a friend in her car. One time we mailed it to our ending point to pick up and get a ride and go home. worked out nicely

prain4u
03-12-2009, 02:44
People have given you some very good answers already. Here are some additional semi-humorous points to remember:

You can't bring any nuclear weapons in your carry-on luggage--except on the third Tuesday of every-other-week in November.

Pet grizzly bears must be checked at the ticket counter and must travel in a secure "bear bag" in the luggage compartment of the aircraft.

Do not store any young children (or senior citizens) in the overhead luggage compartments or under your seat--unless you are traveling in First Class.

If you follow those three rules (and the advice that others have already given) you will probably be just fine.

Best wishes on your first air flight and on your hike!