PDA

View Full Version : Gossamer Gear 1/8 thinlite pad

mark schofield
03-09-2009, 16:27
Has anyone used this particular pad as an add on for insulation durring spring and fall? How durable is it and does it pack down to a small size. It's listed at 2 oz. Any experiences and/or thoughts welcomed.

Egads
03-09-2009, 17:29
It is soft, so not real durable. It rolls up pretty small. It is used extensively by hammockers since they do not need the padding.

Cannibal
03-09-2009, 17:48
I use the 1/8" in my hammock under my feet (torso length underquilt). I love that stuff! Way easier to pack/fold/stuff than ccf pads in my experience. Very, very warm for it's weight and I don't experience the sweaty thing as bad as I do on other pads. It doesn't do much for you in the way of padding, but it is excellent for trapping heat.

I've been carrying the same pad since Aug/Sept and it is still in fairly good shape, so I'd have to say that it's fairly durable.

skinewmexico
03-09-2009, 17:58
Nine bucks, just test it and report! Order a Gorilla while you're at it.

SGT Rock
03-09-2009, 19:13
2 of them glued together for extra insulation. But I've only used it in a hammock.

daddytwosticks
03-09-2009, 19:24
I've used it between my Prolite 3 short and the silnylon floor of my Contrail. No more slipping plus adds insulation under my feet. Rolls or folds to a very small bundle. So far it is holding up for a season, but doesn't seem too durable. What do you want for nine bucks?

maxNcathy
03-09-2009, 19:56
My 1/4 inch thick pad is tough enough and very light too.

Jorel
03-10-2009, 15:58
I carry it, and think it adds to insulation, not padding. I use the Wild Oasis, tyvek, a Vapr Bivy (3.4oz), thinsulate, Big Agnes Mummy and Nunatek Quilt and have had excellent results in 20 degree weather. Does the thinsulate make a difference? Hell I don't know, but for 2-3 ozs it gives me mental comfort.