PDA

View Full Version : FM ... AM/FM or Weatherradio?

Squinty
03-09-2009, 16:30
I am fairly new to the forum and really enjoy the sage advice that exists here. I will be thru hiking next spring and one piece of gear that I am stuck on is a radio. My rationale for carrying a radio is strictly for weather information although I have nothing against listening to music at times either. I have been looking at these little MP3 players but many of them are FM band only. I guess my questions are: A) Can I recieve FM as easily as AM on the AT? B) If not can anyone suggest an AM/FM unit that will not penalize me too much with extra weight? and C) Since music is not my main concern does anyone know of a lightweight weather band radio worth taking along? I searched other threads and didn't find exactly what I was looking for. Any comments will be appreciated.

Slo-go'en
03-09-2009, 17:04
Wal-mart sells a little Sony AM/FM/WB (no more TV band as the change over to digital makes that obsolete) and runs on a single AAA for about $25.00.

FM reception isn't a problem on the AT, but if you listen while you hike stations tend to fade in and out as you go from one side of a hill to another. Also, few FM stations give much weather and not likely applicable to where you are.

NOWA WB stations are hit or miss, its always a good idea to tune into them when your up high and in the clear during the day. You may not be able to get reception at many shelter sites.

thestin
03-09-2009, 17:08
Also keep in mind that the weather forecasts that you get will not normally address the microclimates you will be experiencing in the mountains...many of the forecasts will be for the valley areas where most people live and work.

After a few days out you will start to get pretty good at sensing changes in the weather. Also you will find that you're going to be out in the weather anyway and why worry about the forecast...no matter what you're going to have to hike in some bad weather.

Squinty
03-09-2009, 17:19
So do you think it is worth even carrying one at all. I was a certified weather observer in my previous career in aviation and certainly understand the local weather differences, but I plan to start as early as the beginning of March and I guess the cold concerns me a little. Maybe I'm making too big a deal out of it? I'd rather not carry the extra weight unless it is advisable..

BigFoot2002
03-09-2009, 17:51
I carried the Sony AM/FM/TV/weather radio and found it well worth it's weight. I put fresh batteries in my headlamp, and used them until totally flat in the radio. They lasted days and days. Nice to know how long the rain that's falling might last. NPR can be heard along much of the trail.

medicjimr
03-09-2009, 17:55
I am concidering atleast a weather alert radio like I beleave oregon makes.

Squinty
03-09-2009, 17:56
Sounds good Bigfoot I can live with that coverage! Is this the Sony AM/FM/TV/WX radio found at Walmart for about $25?

garlic08
03-09-2009, 18:02
So do you think it is worth even carrying one at all.... Maybe I'm making too big a deal out of it? I'd rather not carry the extra weight unless it is advisable..

If you're an ounce weenie like me, you don't really need one.

But the main reason I don't carry a radio anymore is I walked right over a rattler once, didn't even hear it because I was enjoying "Car Talk" too much one Saturday morning on the PCT. My partner couldn't believe I missed it.

I did enjoy listening in camp, though, and I kind of miss that sometimes.

Kanati
03-09-2009, 18:20
My wife talked me into carrying the SONY Walkman, AM/FM/WB mentioned above. It was the correct move. Not only did it keep me informed about the weather,(when I had WB reception), but it provided entertainment and drowned out the snoring in the times that I used the shelters.

If you're a weather guy, take it.

Squinty
03-09-2009, 18:20
Yeah Garlic08 I'm torn between carrying one and not. I am a gram weenie of sorts.. I'm a Louisiana born moccasin eater from way back.. and I can just about smell a viper, so I'm not too worried about snakes.. But I sure can relate to the distraction caused by Car Talk or any other good radio show.. You're lucky you didn't get bit.. Clik & Clak would've loved that story...

Squinty
03-09-2009, 18:26
Thanks Kanati.. more good info.. still not sure.. but everything everyone is saying is good..

BigFoot2002
03-09-2009, 18:37
Didn't see it on the Wall Mart or K Mart site. No doubt because the TV function no longer will work. Fount one on Ebay though. Search on SONY-WALKMAN-SRF-M37V-TV-WEATHER-FM-AM-RADIO I usually listen with one ear in snake country.

Tipi Walter
03-09-2009, 19:07
I never used to carry a radio(heathen interloping syphilization disturbing my natural utopia), but now after some serious solo trips w/o human interfacing, I am carrying a little Coby Electronics AM/FM. Why not? It weighs next to nothing compared to my 4 books and 32 ozs of fuel and 3.10 pound thermarest. Here's the one I carry:
http://www.cobyusa.com/?p=prod&prod_num_id=148&pcat_id=1008

And then there's the Sangean brand with a variety of different options:
http://www.sangean.com/product.php?model=DT-200VX&prod_id=40

Squinty
03-09-2009, 20:14
Thanks Tipi Walter.. those are helpful.

SGT Rock
03-09-2009, 20:29
Fm radio with MP3. I liste to FM, and the occasions I couldn't get a signal I had 4gb of music.

springerfever
03-09-2009, 20:43
I usually carry a little Sangean radio, that had FM/AM/WB and TV. Out of all those options, I preferred the TV band. Great reception and you could always get the 6:00 or 11:00 news. I'll probably still carry this radio but I will definately miss the TV band !!

http://www.amazon.com/Sangean-DT-300-VW-Pocket-Sized-Digital-Radio/dp/B0000222MY

BR360
03-09-2009, 20:53
Uh, I carry both.
A little AM/FM analog tuner I got from radioshack in 1986. Takes 2 AAA batteries. Weighs 3.4 ozs. with batteries. I love scanning AM stations at night, especially when I can't sleep.
Similar to this:
http://www.amazon.com/Sangean-SR-2Y-Ultra-Pocket-Yellow/dp/tech-data/B00006I5S6/ref=de_a_smtd

A SanDisk sansa 2Gb mp3 +FM tuner. Weighs 1.7 ozs with 1 AAA battery and earphone.

I cut one earphone off to save weight. Plus, I do not like to be so wrapped up in radio/MP3 noise that i miss the interesting sounds around me.

double d
03-09-2009, 23:50
Tipi Walter, hows the reception in the mountains with the Coby CX 90 radio? Looks like a great deal at $20.00 and for the low weight. Also, does it come with a headset so as to not disturb large unpredictable animals in wee hours of the night?

Tipi Walter
03-10-2009, 00:25
Tipi Walter, hows the reception in the mountains with the Coby CX 90 radio? Looks like a great deal at $20.00 and for the low weight. Also, does it come with a headset so as to not disturb large unpredictable animals in wee hours of the night?

The headset it comes with(earbuds)I deep-sixed right off the bat, and went with the little normal headphones available almost anywhere. I get great FM reception with this radio, memory feature is nice, and AM is good at night. There might be far better radios out there, though. Especially higher quality electronics, more expensive, TV band sounds interesting, just a little bit more serious radio than the Coby. But I bought 4 of these little things about 3 years ago(cuz I thought they'd be discontinued)and use them alot.

Wise Old Owl
03-10-2009, 00:53
I carried the Sony AM/FM/TV/weather radio and found it well worth it's weight. I put fresh batteries in my headlamp, and used them until totally flat in the radio. They lasted days and days. Nice to know how long the rain that's falling might last. NPR can be heard along much of the trail.

Good advice,

Amazon has the Tv version at a blow out $16 here is the new one.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Walkman-Digital-Tuning-Weather/dp/B00140DBRY/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1236660636&sr=1-4

I use an older version of this

http://www.sangean.com/category.php?category_ID=9

freedompirate01
03-10-2009, 02:12
How about shortwave?

Squinty
03-10-2009, 06:30
According to a Radio Shack salesman that I spoke with shortwave would give you the best coverage by far, but as far as being packable he said he was unaware of anything that was small. I suppose it is out there somewhere but he was a ham operator and said he was not familiar with a very small unit that would be worth the weight to carry on a through hike.

freedompirate01
03-10-2009, 09:49
I'm pretty sure i've seem tiny short wave radios, i think it was in radio shack infact!

As to the weight of these units i don't know, but they were small.....

mister krabs
03-10-2009, 11:03
How about shortwave?

grundig mini300 or countycomm gp4 both use AA's and are about 4 oz's