PDA

View Full Version : Parade Of Fools! April 4th & 5th 2009

wrongway_08
03-09-2009, 16:42
PARADE OF FOOLS APRIL 4TH & 5TH!!!

Okay, time to man/lady up and get to hiking

UPDATED ON 3-23-2009

When: Saturday April 4th and Sunday April 5th, 2009

Who: Anyone who is able to have fun and hike at the same time!!!! We will have dogs on this trip - non leashed, if you gonna bitch - dont come :p.

What: Hills, rocks, medium mile days

What I need from everyone going: a) Phone Numbers b) vehicle description c) where your leaving your vehicle. If you dont want it posted, pm the info, otherwise, post it and I'll add it to the name list.

What to bring: Normal 2 day gear and a little something extra to share, maybe cookies, crackers, chips, candy, jelly belly jelly beans, just something simple and non-expensive.

Day one, Saturday April 4th:
- Culvers Gap US 206 - Hike North to Mashipacong Shelter/ 8.8 miles
- Meet at 11am, hopefully have vehicles already dropped and ready to hike.

Day two, Sunday April 5th:
- Mashipacong Shelter North to NJ 284 Aprox 15.3 miles.
- End at cars and hopefully at a decent hour so we can all get home and ready for work Monday!!!

Check out the profile!!!
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/wrongway_02/CCF03092009_00000-1.jpg

I will get more parking info up soon and more details.

WHOS GOING:
- Wrongway, Kristy, one extra, dog Erwin (443-536-8106)
- Sasquatch, dog Hank
- Dak, one extra
- Peanut
- River1
- Chenango
- Neanderthal 08

Tin Man
03-09-2009, 16:55

Dogs with cell phones? Good thing you posted in straight forward. :)

One of these days I gotta join you guys. I will be with the scouts that weekend.

wrongway_08
03-09-2009, 17:00
Damn it Tin Man, thought to myself "crap - posted in straight forward" was about to delete this and make a new thread!!!!

We could use you on this trip, youd fit right in..... maybe you could help me protect the group from outta control Nalgene bottles! :)

Tin Man
03-09-2009, 17:04
Damn it Tin Man, thought to myself "crap - posted in straight forward" was about to delete this and make a new thread!!!!

We could use you on this trip, youd fit right in..... maybe you could help me protect the group from outta control Nalgene bottles! :)

At the rate y'all go through Nalgene, what's left to control?

sasquatch2014
03-10-2009, 10:16
We still have to do coffee Tin Man give me a call 845 220 8856. I'll get you to become a Fool too.

Can't wait stuff is starting to bud up here quickly.

Tin Man
03-10-2009, 10:23
We still have to do coffee Tin Man give me a call 845 220 8856. I'll get you to become a Fool too.

Can't wait stuff is starting to bud up here quickly.

I'm already a fool, but I can always use more fool friends. :cool: I'll call soon.

Lost_Soul
03-10-2009, 22:29
Should be interesting... been WAAAYYY too long since I've been hiking. Um, since there's a Dak on the site I should prolly be listed as FD...

WHOS GOING:
- Sasquatch, dog Hank
- Dak, one extra
- Peanut
- River1<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

wrongway_08
03-13-2009, 14:41
Anyone else, plenty of time to get ready for this and heck you know you'll have a good time!

sasquatch2014
03-13-2009, 21:02
I think that I may be able to get a few days on the back end of this and may push on to the Stateline trail so I will have to work out details of getting my car to that end for when I am done but by trail it's only like an extra 20 miles or so. We can work all that out as we get closer to the time.

I looked at the books and according to what I can tell i now only have 200 miles from where we left off in Pa to the NJ line. I think from what I have heard only 100 miles of that are the famous PA rocks.

sasquatch2014
03-21-2009, 20:36
I think that I'll pack a few hundred candles for this trip. They say no fires in Nj but didn't say anything about candles. I just light them all surrounded by a rock circle and make believe I have a fire.

Chenango
03-21-2009, 21:15
After reading about all of your adventures over the past year or so I really need to check this POF thing out. I hiked with River1 last weekend in Mass and he had great things to say about your trips. I am 95% certain I will be able to come. The 5% is making sure some shin bruising heals up enough by then.

I will confirm later next week. My wife told me I would fit right in with any group with Fools in the name! She's probably right!! lol

wrongway_08
03-22-2009, 11:38
I think that I'll pack a few hundred candles for this trip. They say no fires in Nj but didn't say anything about candles. I just light them all surrounded by a rock circle and make believe I have a fire.

What, no fires.... I had this plan that involved gasoline, a LARGE stack of fire wood, a few roman candles. .... a video set up to capture it all.............. what the heck - I have to come up with something else now :mad:.

Are you sure there are no fires in this area?? What a bummer.

What if we just say... oops we didnt know... :) .... my fools plan will look really cool.... roman candles.. gasoline.... there is no way this couldnt turn out great!!!!!

wrongway_08
03-22-2009, 11:41
Chenango ... will be great to have you along. . . . . start thinking of something to replace my fire thing with..... you being the newbie of the group, it all rest in your hands now!

Lost_Soul
03-22-2009, 12:29
::whew:: am glad there's a new 'newbie'. Hated the thought of it being on me for this trip. :^D

zoidfu
03-22-2009, 12:39
I'd like to get down on this but my friends and I are already doing a section that weekend, near Duncannon.:mad:

Tin Man
03-22-2009, 23:08
I met a cool fool,
who is not your ordinary tool,
he does not drool,
or act like he is cool.

He maintains,
he will give a ride,
or just lend a hand,
and he does not grandstand.

We had a meet,
but nothing to eat,
it was quite a treat,
to meet,
the one, the only,
Sasquatch,
the real deal.

Thanks for a sharing some time Chris! Enjoyed it.

:)

Chenango
03-23-2009, 16:08
Chenango ... will be great to have you along. . . . . start thinking of something to replace my fire thing with..... you being the newbie of the group, it all rest in your hands now!

Speaking of fires. I am down in SC visiting my kids at college. My wife didn't like the smell in the hotel room so she bought a scented candle at Wal*Mart. Of course I was filling out the March Madness brackets in the USA Today. Then, I almost caught the hotel room on fire. Perhaps I can do a repeat on the trail!! An accidental campfire. Now that is the ticket. "Really Mr. Forest Service guy, the fire was an accident. My wife made me do it."

Update on my shin. Did some time on the treadmill and bike at the hotel. Feeling a lot better. I think I will be ready for this walk!!

Peanut
03-23-2009, 17:29
You will fit right in :) Looking forward to hiking with you!

wrongway_08
03-23-2009, 17:51
Say what.... who cant get it up? wrong thread maybe?? Or maybe you sent your "private" search result by accident :)

Tin Man
03-23-2009, 18:20
Say what.... who cant get it up? wrong thread maybe?? Or maybe you sent your "private" search result by accident :)

ignore the spam

sasquatch2014
03-23-2009, 18:25
I met a cool fool,
who is not your ordinary tool,
he does not drool,
or act like he is cool.

He maintains,
he will give a ride,
or just lend a hand,
and he does not grandstand.

We had a meet,
but nothing to eat,
it was quite a treat,
to meet,
the one, the only,
Sasquatch,
the real deal.

Thanks for a sharing some time Chris! Enjoyed it.

:)

Love the poem. Yeah was good to put a face to a name. We need to do it again sometime.

sasquatch2014
03-23-2009, 18:29
When i read this topic, i think about that sort of things http://sourceradix.com/m/mon.html
You may check that, and most likely it would change your mind. Whatever.

Followed the link and no Vicoden what kind of site is that! When we are in pain we want the real deal. And If I have an erection for more than 4 hours I am going to celebrate and call everyone I know to let them hear about it too. To hell with the Dr.:D

Tin Man
03-23-2009, 18:43
Love the poem. Yeah was good to put a face to a name. We need to do it again sometime.

Are you meeting the distict person tomorrow? would like to tag along if that is okay.

bustedchucks
03-25-2009, 10:29
Strangers wlecome? What about strange people?

Foyt20
03-25-2009, 15:21
I may be able to make this trip. That is a nice trip right there. Ill let you all know after I talk to the fiance` when I get home from work.

Chenango
03-25-2009, 15:51
Here's my cell 607-226-5612. I am not familiar with this area. What's the scoop on parking?

sasquatch2014
03-26-2009, 00:11
check out this site for parking info.
http://rohland.homedns.org/AT/at_menu.aspx

wrongway_08
03-26-2009, 18:41
I may be able to make this trip. That is a nice trip right there. Ill let you all know after I talk to the fiance` when I get home from work.

When will you learn, its easier to apologize then to ask for permission!!! Just go - sure, you might have to sleep in the dog house a night or two but its kinda like a reward after sleeping on the ground during the hike!!!

Jaybird62
03-26-2009, 19:30
Hey Wrongway, wassup buddy!!!? I'm gonna make one of these trips........Couple of months ago I tore my MCL in my knee screwing around on a dirt bike.........then last week, just about same time as my knee is healing up, someone runs a redlight, hits the bed of my pickup, flips me on my side and totals my truck......needless to say when my truck slammed back on 4 wheels, the impact did a number on my back.....so I aint gonna be able to make this one either.......but i swear one of these days me and my slightly chubby beagle are gonna join u guys!!!! Have a great time y'all's!!!!!!!!

Tin Man
03-26-2009, 20:53

When will you learn, its easier to apologize then to ask for permission!!! Just go - sure, you might have to sleep in the dog house a night or two but its kinda like a reward after sleeping on the ground during the hike!!!

damn straight! gotta break 'em early

wrongway_08
03-26-2009, 21:07
Jaybird62,
Sorry to hear about the bad luck! Get that back fixed up!!
Dont forget, that guys insurance company owes the Parade Of Fools some money due to the mental distress we suffered due to us missing out on your/your dogs companionship during this hike!!!! :) Tell them if they buy Sasquatch some hair to cover that ugly thing he calls a head..... we wont sue :D .

Jaybird62
03-26-2009, 21:11
Jaybird62,
Sorry to hear about the bad luck! Get that back fixed up!!
Dont forget, that guys insurance company owes the Parade Of Fools some money due to the mental distress we suffered due to us missing out on your/your dogs companionship during this hike!!!! :) Tell them if they buy Sasquatch some hair to cover that ugly thing he calls a head..... we wont sue :D .

:D:DAlright man....got ya!!!!! I'm hoping to get out later this summer or early fall.....i wanna check out the old loggers path...it's in PA and sounds like a good hike....I'll post if and when I decide to check it out

sasquatch2014
03-26-2009, 21:41
Well been trying to figure out extra stuff on one side or the other of the planned hike and what I think I may do is try to set it up to get my car parked at the Lott Rd end of things and then get myself back to the state line trail and hike back tot he car from there and meet up with whoever on that Sat when we are shuttling cars to get a ride over to Culvers Gap. The extra part of this that I am still tossing around is to at the end maybe leave the car at Culvers Gap and get dropped off at the DWG by those of you heading back south. All of this is still up in the air and the way that my life has been going of late is most likely to get screwed up by something that will not play out and therefor take time but produce no extra money.

Wrongway not only do I not have any hair on my head but now I have even less on my face really trimmed the bead back the otherday. I'll tell you the whole story when we are out there.

Tin Man
03-26-2009, 21:54
Well been trying to figure out extra stuff on one side or the other of the planned hike and what I think I may do is try to set it up to get my car parked at the Lott Rd end of things and then get myself back to the state line trail and hike back tot he car from there and meet up with whoever on that Sat when we are shuttling cars to get a ride over to Culvers Gap. The extra part of this that I am still tossing around is to at the end maybe leave the car at Culvers Gap and get dropped off at the DWG by those of you heading back south. All of this is still up in the air and the way that my life has been going of late is most likely to get screwed up by something that will not play out and therefor take time but produce no extra money.

Wrongway not only do I not have any hair on my head but now I have even less on my face really trimmed the bead back the otherday. I'll tell you the whole story when we are out there.

huh? is there some kinda decoder ring for fool speak?

wrongway_08
03-27-2009, 15:38
huh? is there some kinda decoder ring for fool speak?

Hibbity-Hibbity-Hibbity, Dibbity-Do-Dat-Duttinity.

That help? :D

wrongway_08
03-27-2009, 15:46

UPDATED ON 3-27-2009

Who: Anyone who is able to have fun and hike at the same time!!!! We will have dogs on this trip - non leashed, if you gonna bitch - dont come :p.

What I need from everyone going: a) Phone Numbers b) vehicle description c) where your leaving your vehicle. If you dont want it posted, pm the info, otherwise, post it and I'll add it to the name list.

What to bring: Normal 2 day gear and a little something extra to share, maybe cookies, crackers, chips, candy, jelly belly jelly beans, just something simple and non-expensive.

Driving directions:
US 206 - Culvers Gap The parking area is .3 mile north of where the trail crosses 206 - on Sunrise Mountain Rd. Registration is required for overnight parking at the park office just north of the intersection with Upper North Shore Rd. 1/30/2006 20 askus3 @ optonline.net
From Branchville take US 206 north. After NJ 521 comes in from the left, go approximately 0.2 miles. Turn right onto NJ 636. We did not see a sign for NJ 636 on 206 but did see one immediately after turning. Take the first left onto Sunrise Mountain Road. Right after turning on Sunrise Mountain Road turn left into the parking log. GPS N41.10.812 W074.47.280 10/23/07 At least 30 at @ rohland.org
To get to Culvers Gap from Deckertown Turnpike, Turn left onto Deckertown out of the parking lot. Turn left on Rt 519. When 519 turns to the left, turn right onto Neilson Road. Follow Neilson (bearing right at the Y) until it becomes Mattison Reservoir Ave. Follow Mattison Reservoir Ave until it meets NJ 636. Turn right on NJ 636. Turn right on Sunrise Mountain Road before you reach US 206. 10/23/07 1 at @ rohland.org

- End at cars and hopefully at a decent hour so we can all get home and ready for work Monday!!!

Driving Directions:
NJ 284 From the intersection of 23 and 284 in Sussex, go north on Rt 284 past Quarryville to AT crossing. Parking is at trail crossing of NJ 94 1/29/2006
GPS N41.29841, W74.56872 3/17/08 2-3 1 at @ rohland.org

Check out the profile!!!

WHOS GOING:
- Wrongway, Kristy, dog Erwin (443-536-8106)
- Sasquatch, dog Hank
- Foyt20 ?
- Peanut
- River1
- Chenango
- Neanderthal 08, one extra?
- Askus3 Sat night ?
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Askus3
03-28-2009, 20:10
I am not ready to commit but I am thinking of Saturday evening walking in for a visit from Deckertown Road and hanging out at the campfire (candlefire?) for awhile. Then Sunday afternoon, I might hike in from 284 and meet you and hike back out. There is no way my dog "Trekker" the shih-tzu will hike 15 miles in one day! I wrote down a couple of phone numbers I saw in this thread and will see what the weather is like so if I am there - great. But this way nobody is contingent on me committing myself to anything at this time. But I am keeping Sat eve & Sun. afternoon open.

wrongway_08
03-28-2009, 20:20
I am not ready to commit but I am thinking of Saturday evening walking in for a visit from Deckertown Road and hanging out at the campfire (candlefire?) for awhile. Then Sunday afternoon, I might hike in from 284 and meet you and hike back out. There is no way my dog "Trekker" the shih-tzu will hike 15 miles in one day! I wrote down a couple of phone numbers I saw in this thread and will see what the weather is like so if I am there - great. But this way nobody is contingent on me committing myself to anything at this time. But I am keeping Sat eve & Sun. afternoon open.

Sounds good, hope to meet you.

Peanut
03-29-2009, 07:50
The companion says there is no water at the Mashipacong Shelter ...and doesn't note another other water between Gren Anderson Shelter and there...do any of you have the Handbook/knowledge with info about other water sources?

sasquatch2014
03-29-2009, 08:07
Was just looking at the state book and it looks pretty dry for a bout 2 miles on either side of the shelter. I have a big blue 5 gallon cube that we have used when car camping and when we run out of water here at the house. I am sure that Wrongway would be willing to carry it in. Leave the gun take the water, or is that "leave the gun take the canolli"

Chenango
03-29-2009, 08:15
The companion says there is no water at the Mashipacong Shelter ...and doesn't note another other water between Gren Anderson Shelter and there...do any of you have the Handbook/knowledge with info about other water sources?

I just was reading that as well. I suppose we will be carrying water for a bit. Uggh!!

wrongway_08
03-29-2009, 09:46
I'll bring the 2 and 3 liter platypus. Sasquatch.... we can just tie a rope to Erwin and Hank, I am sure they will be more then happy to pull the 5 gallons for us!

Weather looks to be 55 and a slight chance of rain for Sat/Sun. Will make for a good hike.

Tin Man
03-29-2009, 09:49
I'll bring the 2 and 3 liter platypus. Sasquatch.... we can just tie a rope to Erwin and Hank, I am sure they will be more then happy to pull the 5 gallons for us!

Weather looks to be 55 and a slight chance of rain for Sat/Sun. Will make for a good hike.

I predict there is about 10% chance of that forecast coming in correct this far in advance. Expect 70 and sunny or heavy rain and 40s.:sun

Askus3
03-29-2009, 13:24
How much water do you need? Since I am coming to hang out with you guys Sat. evening and you can certainly walk 0.4 mile roundtrip from shelter to road and back, why don't I bring several gallons with me around 5 PM? Since my car will be parked at Deckertown Turnpike we can carry the water in from there. Anything else you don't want to carry but would like me to bring? You guys can live in style (but no portable generator)!

river1
03-29-2009, 15:53
How much water do you need? Since I am coming to hang out with you guys Sat. evening and you can certainly walk 0.4 mile roundtrip from shelter to road and back, why don't I bring several gallons with me around 5 PM? Since my car will be parked at Deckertown Turnpike we can carry the water in from there. Anything else you don't want to carry but would like me to bring? You guys can live in style (but no portable generator)!

Yup, no water around Mashipong shelter at all and there is a little mud hole of a spring at Rutherford shelter.. So we will need to camel up and Askus if you could bring 1/2 gallon per person that would be a great help.. Thanks, River1

Askus3
03-29-2009, 16:16
Sounds like 5 gallons which would include water for the dogs should be about right based on who is signed up according to Wrongway. Looking forward to meeting you folks. Now if Sasquatch would get in touch with me so I could possibly help out with his request for additional mileage prior to trip.

river1
03-29-2009, 16:37
Sounds like 5 gallons which would include water for the dogs should be about right based on who is signed up according to Wrongway. Looking forward to meeting you folks. Now if Sasquatch would get in touch with me so I could possibly help out with his request for additional mileage prior to trip.

Ok thanks for the water and look forward to meeting you.

wrongway_08
03-29-2009, 20:29
Askus3, thank you!

Peanut
03-30-2009, 06:39
Thank you, you're great!

Chenango
03-30-2009, 08:56
Thank you, you're great!

Ditto from me, Askus3!!:sun

wrongway_08
03-30-2009, 15:24

UPDATED ON 3-30-2009

Driving directions:
US 206 - Culvers Gap The parking area is .3 mile north of where the trail crosses 206 - on Sunrise Mountain Rd. Registration is required for overnight parking at the park office just north of the intersection with Upper North Shore Rd. 1/30/2006 20 askus3 @ optonline.net
From Branchville take US 206 north. After NJ 521 comes in from the left, go approximately 0.2 miles. Turn right onto NJ 636. We did not see a sign for NJ 636 on 206 but did see one immediately after turning. Take the first left onto Sunrise Mountain Road. Right after turning on Sunrise Mountain Road turn left into the parking log. GPS N41.10.812 W074.47.280 10/23/07 At least 30 at @ rohland.org
To get to Culvers Gap from Deckertown Turnpike, Turn left onto Deckertown out of the parking lot. Turn left on Rt 519. When 519 turns to the left, turn right onto Neilson Road. Follow Neilson (bearing right at the Y) until it becomes Mattison Reservoir Ave. Follow Mattison Reservoir Ave until it meets NJ 636. Turn right on NJ 636. Turn right on Sunrise Mountain Road before you reach US 206. 10/23/07 1 at @ rohland.org

Driving Directions:
NJ 284 From the intersection of 23 and 284 in Sussex, go north on Rt 284 past Quarryville to AT crossing. Parking is at trail crossing of NJ 94 1/29/2006
GPS N41.29841, W74.56872 3/17/08 2-3 1 at @ rohland.org

Check out the profile!!!

WHOS GOING:
- Wrongway, Kristy, dog Erwin (443-536-8106)
- Sasquatch, dog Hank
- Foyt20
- Peanut
- River1
- Chenango
- Neanderthal
- Askus3 Sat night

Lost_Soul
03-30-2009, 22:03
Peanut is showing up with me. (we're gonna TRY to keep up with Wrongway on the way there) And we should be able to help Sasquach out with the vehicle stuff, too. The roommate (TrailHikerToo) might be in Spain. He hasn't decided yet. But, he AIN'T making this trip. (so, take the 'one extra?' off from my name. :^D

Chenango
03-31-2009, 11:33
US 206 - Culvers Gap The parking area is .3 mile north of where the trail crosses 206 - on Sunrise Mountain Rd. Registration is required for overnight parking at the park office just north of the intersection with Upper North Shore Rd.

I am confused (what else is new). Does this mean to register at the Park Office if you are leaving a car at Sunrise Mtn Road? Or does it mean you must register if leaving a car at the Park Office?

Anyway, my current plan is to show up at Sunrise Mtn Road at around 9:30 AM Saturday morning and figure it out from there. If someone is already there then we can spot a car early. Any other thoughts on this?

I drive a red Subaru Forester with NY plates. My cell number is 607-226-5612.

Looking for some good hiking weather! :sun Yeah!

wrongway_08
03-31-2009, 16:07
We might be up a bit early also, Look for a White S10 step side with a nice caved in wheel well - nothing the vandels can do to screw this pos up any further :) - MD Plates

Let us know of any concerns you might have. I am not sure about the registery question - never been there before. Sorry.

Of course I may not be the right one to voice concerns with..... so far I am 0 for 1 :) !

sasquatch2014
03-31-2009, 19:49
Man I have a ton of stuff to do to get ready for the hike and don't seem to be getting much of it done. I am sure it will be a last minuet deal to get out of here.

wrongway_08
03-31-2009, 20:35
Yea, seems it always works out that way :) Thought I would have it all packed by Monday ....... still working on it.

moonshiner
03-31-2009, 20:57
upamf

wrongway_08
04-02-2009, 19:10
Who is parking at what point? Need to make sure everyone doesnt park at the same end :)!
Wrongway /Kristy(443-536-8106) - South end
- Sasquatch, dog Hank - other
- Foyt20
- Peanut/Neanderthal - South end
- River1
- Chenango
- Askus3 - meet us Sat night

- Post tonight, I wont be able to check this Friday (I am leaving Friday night)

sasquatch2014
04-02-2009, 19:11
As i told you on the phone Wrongway I hope that I can work it out to leave my car at the Stateline trail and then catch a ride from there to where we are all meeting up. Sunday I would continue on hiking back to my car on Monday. Anyone up for giving me and the dog a ride? Good news is we will both be clean on this leg of the trip.:)

Phone # 845 220 8856

wrongway_08
04-02-2009, 19:25
Yea, meant to list that.. I dont forget that fast!! :)

river1
04-02-2009, 22:01
I am planning to have someone drop me off at 206 and pick me up at 519 so no vehicle for me.

sasquatch2014
04-03-2009, 07:17
What time are we looking to start out of Culvers Gap? I know Chenego is talking about an early start at 9 or so. What is the plan for the rest of the folks?

Grinder
04-03-2009, 07:32
It looks like there are lots of last minute attendees. I'm betting many of you , like me, haven't made sleeping arrangements.

Ron's motels are sold out he says

I'll be there tonight, hat in hand, looking for a place to sleep friday and saturday. (Doesn't have to be free or anything like that. Budget is more my style).

Chenango
04-03-2009, 12:08
What time are we looking to start out of Culvers Gap? I know Chenego is talking about an early start at 9 or so. What is the plan for the rest of the folks?

I was originally planning to get to Culvers Gap around 9:00 to help spot cars. If anyone is coming from the North, I could leave my car up North and catch a ride with you to Culvers Gap.

River1 - after talking to you on the phone, I realized maybe this could work for us. What if I got to the North end by 8:30? I guess it depends if you work something out with Sasquatch.

Any other takers for the North end? Otherwise, I am going to show up at Culvers Gap and figure it out then.

Isn't logisitics fun. ;) I'd rather be hiking!!

sasquatch2014
04-03-2009, 12:21
I think that it makes more sence to try and shuttle my car at the end of the hike so i guess i can try to meet up at the north end to shuttle down to Culvers Gap Sat AM. What time is the question. It is only 8.8 miles the first day and as we can't have fires I don't see a reason to get to camp super early and just stand around. If we can be ready to head down the trail by 11:00-12:00 we will be in fine shape. Doesn't get dark till close to 8:00 these days.

Chenango
04-03-2009, 17:17
I think that it makes more sence to try and shuttle my car at the end of the hike so i guess i can try to meet up at the north end to shuttle down to Culvers Gap Sat AM. What time is the question. It is only 8.8 miles the first day and as we can't have fires I don't see a reason to get to camp super early and just stand around. If we can be ready to head down the trail by 11:00-12:00 we will be in fine shape. Doesn't get dark till close to 8:00 these days.

Sasquatch - I can be at the NJ 284 trail crossing at around 9:00 AM. Let me know if that works for you? I will check on-line again around 8:00 PM tonight. After that I will be off-line for the duration. If I do not hear from you by then, I will stick to original plan of heading straight to Culvers Gap.

sasquatch2014
04-03-2009, 21:38
It's a bit over an hour and a half to get there and I have to make a quick stop in the AM. I want to be in the 284 area by 9:30 give me a shout while in transit and we can hammer down who's outfit at what crossing. I think with the wagon I may be a good one to stay at the north end of the hike for help back to cars on Sunday.

wrongway_08
04-06-2009, 21:08
What a great trip! Here is the list of Fools:
- Sasquatch/Hank the pack dropn dog
- Peanut
- River1
- Chenango
- Neanderthal
- Kristy
- Wrongway
- Askus3 "Water God" on Sat night
- Trekker

A big thanks to everyone... lots of good times on this trip - working on the movie, hope to have it done in 2 or 3 days.

You all rocked! Thanks for heading out with us. Looking forward to the next one.

Lost_Soul
04-06-2009, 21:17
Maybe by the next trip I'll have a sleeping bag that fits. (ugghh) And feet that work better on the rocks. Was great meeting everyone. Definitely a good group to be around. Looking forward to the pics and stuff. Might have to give my camera card to WrongWay to post stuff from, too. (my modem fits well with my s/n) :^D Look forward to the next hike. Hmmm, maybe Harpers Ferry like WrongWay invited me on LAST year but never came thru on ??? (hint hint). Though, for a while can only do weekends. (two jobs and all)
Catch ya soon,
Dak.

Tinker
04-06-2009, 22:31
Somehow I have the feeling that I should either be feeling guilty for missing the trip, or at least a little less foolish for staying home.

Anyhow.............................I have a broken toe right now, third one on the right foot (from either side :p). Tripped over the drumset at church two Thursdays ago. Didn't affect my voice, though - yah, it still sux! I hope to head for the hills with Chatter next week (not sure where, Whites, probably).

Take care, all you Fools. ;)

Powder River
04-07-2009, 01:39
Sorry I missed this. Woulda been nice to take a spin through the forest again!

Askus3
04-07-2009, 02:46
Wrongway: You forgot to list Trekker as a participant of this edition of Parade of Fools. Without him we would not have had entertainment for Hank for a couple of hours Sat evening. ...and he was pretty reluctant to come home with me. I turned around and said where is he and realized that he went back up the hill to be with Hank and you guys.

Chenango
04-07-2009, 08:26
Fun time this weekend with some really great folks! This morning as I was looking out the window at the snow coming down (springtime in central NY), I was thinking of that warm lunch break at the base of High Point Monument. All of a sudden I broke out singing a verse of "I am bringing home a baby bubble bee." My wife asked me how old were these "fools"? lol

Thanks for a great couple of days, Parade of Fools.

sasquatch2014
04-07-2009, 11:27
Agreed was a great trip a huge thanks to all of you who helped shuttle the car for me at the end. I made it down to the state-line trail where I found my car and promptly turned on the heater and Hank crawled in the back seat and fell asleep.

Oh great WaterGod Thanks for brining a playmate up for Hank and the water was key to this trip.

Chenango
04-07-2009, 16:22
Agreed was a great trip a huge thanks to all of you who helped shuttle the car for me at the end. I made it down to the state-line trail where I found my car and promptly turned on the heater and Hank crawled in the back seat and fell asleep.

Oh great WaterGod Thanks for brining a playmate up for Hank and the water was key to this trip.

Sasquatch - Did you make it to the shelter before dark on Sunday? I was thinking of you around 8:00 PM as I was driving home that evening.

wrongway_08
04-07-2009, 16:35
Okay, I have the video done for the first half but need photos of the section after the monument to the end of the hike. If you can pick your favs out of the photos you took and send them my way - or post them, then I can see how many will fit on the video clip :). Thanks again evryone!!

wrongway_08
04-07-2009, 16:37
Oh yea, planning on something around harpers ferry for the next hike. Or maybe something 30 miles up from Harpers Ferry.

Will be on a Wed/Thur this time.

sasquatch2014
04-07-2009, 20:27
Sasquatch - Did you make it to the shelter before dark on Sunday? I was thinking of you around 8:00 PM as I was driving home that evening.

I got about halfway up the climb to the shelter before it was getting dark enough that the headlamp needed to come out. I took that time to call home and check in. about a half hour after the call I was at the shelter it may have even been less. Wasn't able to find the bear box in the dark though so i had to bag it. In the AM my bag was about 15' from the bear box. Are they afraid that reflective tape on the box would scare the bears away.

The next day was hard I was sore from the 20 mile day before and had the big climb halfway through the day. The last mile down the trail to the car was the longest and slickest. I will post more pics.

river1
04-07-2009, 21:56
Good people and Good times indeed, can't wait for the next POF outing..