PDA

View Full Version : The Utility of Compression Sacks

dje97001
05-22-2004, 08:25
I'm looking for opinions on compression sacks used for clothing. How (aside from bringing all of your clothing into the store) do you figure the size of the compression sack to get? Is there a standard size you use for clothing? I'm not going to use one on the sleeping bag--given the previously mentioned concern of breaking down the down. So I am mainly interested in opinions about them with respect to clothing. They weigh a little more than plain stuff sacks, so I'm also interested in hearing whether you think the weight (and I guess cost) provides substantial gain in pack space (which is my primary concern). Any experiences and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

eyahiker
05-22-2004, 08:32
I use compression sacks for lots of things, but the pack can get heavy because of so many items compressed. Don't be afriad to use one for your bag. You should not STORE your bag in a compression sack because it can damage it, always hang your bag somewhere, I use a hanger in my closet. During the hike, it is a great way to keep it clean and out of the way, especially if it's a light bag.:)

dje97001
05-22-2004, 08:49
Actually, I think a healthy dose of fear in this case isn't a bad thing. I decided to go with western mountaineering and I really didn't spend that money to gamble on a compression sack damaging the goods. Ultimately, I am more than satisfied with the amount of space (or lack thereof) that the bag takes up when in the provided stuff sack. My primary concern is my clothing, and whether or not a compression sack will save me enough usable space to be worth it (cost and weight) and then how to determine the size sack to get.

hungryhowie
05-22-2004, 08:52
Here's $0.02 from someone who used compression sacks more than was healthy...

I began the trail with several compression sacks to keep my gear small enough to fit in my pack. At first it was all I could do just to fit nearly everything in, and my pad and several other items were all strapped on the outside. As the miles passed, my gear changed; I got rid of some things, replaced some other things, and the pile-o-stuff that I was carrying became much more manageable because of that. Common sense should have told me that because I didn't need them anymore, I should stop using the compression sacks. But it was what I had been using, so I continued to stuff my clothes and sleeping bag into these things and crank down as hard as I could out of sheer repitition and habit. Well, after 175 of compression, my stuff was prettymuch toast -- due mainly to my abuse of compression sacks.

Since the trail I've gone to the other side of the spectrum with regards to compression sacks. I don't use any at all! I find that my clothing fits very well in the "cracks" between my other stuff sacks, and helps even out my packload as my food supplies dwindle. My sleeping bag gets stuffed in a regular stuff sack that is really quite loose to help it stay as uncompressed as possible. I can easily compress it some when I have lots of food but most of the time it is more or less space-filler in the pack.

So here's my advice: use them at first only if there's no way to fit everything else in. As soon as you find you no longer need them, replace them with normal stuff sacks....or just put everything loose in your pack.

-Howie

Youngblood
05-22-2004, 09:20
My primary concern is my clothing, and whether or not a compression sack will save me enough usable space to be worth it (cost and weight) and then how to determine the size sack to get.

I use loose fitting stuff sacks for nearly everthing. I found years ago with tight packages that it was hard to fit all those 'bricks' into my pack and get the load distributed reasonably. It is even hard to get rid of gaps in a pack. I leave jackets and large clothing items seperate and use them as packing filler if needed. Loose stuffsacks more readily adapt to and fill the available area in the pack and are just easier to work with for me. If you need to, you can compress as you pack your backpack, but I would be careful about compressing my food bag.

Besides, just getting clothing or anything else for that matter, in or out of a tight fitting stuff sack can be a pain. I would try real hard to keep stuff sack size down to something that will fit horizonally into my pack. Anyway, that is my approach.

Youngblood

Footslogger
05-22-2004, 10:52
I use compression or stuff sacks mainly to keep things organized in my pack. Years ago I used the plain old nylon ones but for my thru last year I switched to the silnylon variety. I use one for my sleeping bag, one for my clothes and one for food. They are all different colors but the same size. I use ones that are about 7" X 15" and the reason is that they fit horizontally in my pack. Generally during the day the only one I need access to is my food bag, which I keep on top. At night I just reach in and pull out all three bags. Less to hassle with and much easier to pack again in the morning.

One thing though, is that I don't try to cram 10 pounds of stuff in a 5 pound stuff sack. That's an accident waiting to happen and they are next to impossible to repack on the trail once you've openned them up. My sleeping bag (goose down) would pack down into a lot smaller bag but then it would take longer to loft back up at night.

Anyway ...that's my take on compression sacks. They're great for organization and ease of packing but as already pointed out, you do need to be a little careful how much stuff you cram into one of them.

'Slogger

Peaks
05-22-2004, 16:15
There's a difference between a compression sack and a regular old stuff sack.

Myself, I use stuff sacks for food bag, sleeping bag, and such. I usually use plastic bags to organize clothing and other things. And I use the bags that the gear comes in for things such as cook gear.

I usually don't bother with a compression sack, unless it's my winter sleeping bag.

Kerosene
05-23-2004, 14:08
I've debated on using a compression sack for my sleeping bag, but the extra 2-4 ounces never felt like a good trade-off. I agree with hungryhowie that if you have can't fit your 3-season stuff into a 3500 cubic inch pack then you're probably bringing too much gear.

peter_pan
05-28-2004, 10:07
There is a new compression/stuff sack out there that weighs less than 1oz. It is silnyl with unsealed seams to let the air out when compressing. Basically it is 6x6x12 max closed size and can be compressed to as little as 6x6x3 depending on what is in the sac. It works like a dry bag but the closue strap goes around the bottom and back thu d rings that give a good cinching capability. It is another one of peter_pan and smee's products, it comes with the Nest under quilt, but can be purchased separately for $15. If interested send PM.

SGT Rock
05-28-2004, 10:18
Peter pan, y'all need to get a website so you can show off pictures of your products.

smokymtnsteve
05-28-2004, 10:24
good morning rock

Alligator
05-28-2004, 10:34
I try to minimize the number of stuff sacks and do not use a compression sack for anything. I don't put my clothes in a stuff sack. I have found, as others have mentioned, that clothes fill cracks and help to stabilize load (especially around pots). One problem I have found, however, is that when returning damp or wet items to the pack, say wet socks, that these items will tend to dampen any dry clothes in my pack. So at the very least, a lightweight trash bag can be useful for packing wet items on the trail.

SGT Rock
05-28-2004, 10:37
Hang the wet stuff outside the pack on your straps. If it is dry, then the clothing drys. If it is wet, well they will stay wet, but they will also stay wet inside the pack - but at least they wont get other clothing wet or get stinky. :eek:

Jaybird
05-28-2004, 10:42
I'm looking for opinions on compression sacks used for clothing............................etcetcetc..... ............................

whadya afraid of????????????
like its gonna matter if the clothes are wrinkled?????????????????????
hehehehehehehehe ;)

dje97001
05-28-2004, 10:57
Come on Jaybird!:rolleyes:

I was primarily talking about the value of the space saving/weight of the sacks vs. regular stuff sacks! Sheesh... some people!:D

Alligator
05-28-2004, 11:21
Hang the wet stuff outside the pack on your straps. If it is dry, then the clothing drys. If it is wet, well they will stay wet, but they will also stay wet inside the pack - but at least they wont get other clothing wet or get stinky. :eek:

That's a good suggestion and it does work to some extent. But sort of damp stuff will tend to pick up more water in poor weather conditions if you are not quick to get out the pack cover, making it heavier. It really just depends on the weather.

My opinion is that sweat damp clothing is not quite as heavy as rain-soaked clothing.

Kerosene
05-29-2004, 15:28
My opinion is that sweat damp clothing is not quite as heavy as rain-soaked clothing.'Gator, you haven't seen me ring the sweat from my SmartWools after a few hours! :o