PDA

View Full Version : Map Availability on the trail??

tomandcolin
03-09-2009, 21:14
Hi, i live in the UK and no one wants to accept responsibility of posting me my maps in my upcoming thru - plus from the uk it will be a nightmare as our postal service has, in recent years, let itself go somewhat. So much so infact that my "morning post" now arrives around three days late at whatever time the postman decides to amble by. I don't trust this let alone the fact that it will be very, very expensive!

Just wondering if anyone new of the availability of maps at outfitters and how often i might be likely to come across a set - Not even sure on the availability of outfitters let alone maps... is there generally one every few towns or am i looking at a bus ride every now and then?

I seldom arrive anywhere on time or in a manner that could be described as punctual so im not really too keen on the idea of a bounce box.

Any info/suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Tom

TJ aka Teej
03-10-2009, 02:13
Hi Tom
If you're heading North, they sell them at Neels Gap. If you're heading South, I suggest ordering from the ATC, contacting the AT Lodge in Millinocket and asking if they'll hold them, and then shipping the State by States out to your maildrops. (If you're heading South, you'll have to stay in Millinocket after your bus ride up from the Bangor airport.)
For info on outfitters and maildrops check Baltimore Jack's resupply info here on WB and see the ATC's Thru-Hikers' Companion (the free 2009 copy is now up at http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm )

garlic08
03-10-2009, 12:32
I understand your question to be about getting a steady stream of maps along the way, not one set up front.

I hiked the AT without maps, largely because of the issues you raised--depending not only on someone sending you a maildrop, but also actually getting to the maildrop location. There were plenty of towns I skipped gladly because I didn't have to stop for anything, and having to get a maildrop or bounce box would have ruined my day or maybe a weekend. Plus I saved about $2 a day!

I won't recommend that you hike without maps. There are many good arguments against taking that risk. But they can be a pain in the resupply butt, especially if you're not a particularly good planner.

As TJ said, if you want maps you can buy them at the outfitters listed in the various guidebooks. You'll be able to find a few in hiker boxes along the way.

Frick Frack
03-10-2009, 12:40
tomandcolin - we bought our maps as we hiked southbound and rarely had any problems finding the next set we needed. I mailed home the ones we used (for momentos because I made notes on each map where we stayed the night, ate lunch, etc). Sometimes we swapped out maps with nobos (we needed the one they just used and visa versa). We bought our 1st maps for ME in Baxter State Park and then just kept buying the next ones along the trail.

McKeever
03-10-2009, 18:37
Have you considered joining the ATC? Perhaps you can become a member if not already and receive discounts on all the maps for each section. You might be able to purchase the entire trail set from the ATC store and then call in ahead to have them sent to each stop you want. Good luck.