PDA

View Full Version : Summer/winter gear exchange

Tallaroo
03-10-2009, 09:52
Headed southbound, did you/do you plan to carry your winter clothes with you the whole way, mail them home, bounce them ahead, have them mailed to you? If there's mailing involved, what was/is your tentative gear exchange itinerary?

TJ aka Teej
03-14-2009, 07:02
Monson is the usual first* mail drop pick-up and mail gear home stop. By the time you get there you'll know exactly what you need and don't need.

*WBer Boarstone does drops in the 100 mile, Whitehouse Landing does not do drops, Monson will be your first PO.

Ox97GaMe
03-15-2009, 01:25
Typically, SOBOs are swapping out winter gear for summer gear around Glencliff / Hanover NH. you may need winter gear through the Whites, depending on when you start. After Hanover, there are no more high peaks (5,000+ ft) until you get to southern Virginia (Adkins / Marion).

you can ship your winter gear home, then have it shipped to wherever you are in mid Sept.

Turbo
03-15-2009, 02:01
I agree with the first two posts. Just as an example, last year on my sobo hike, I started at the end of June with rain gear but not warm gear. It was cold in the Whites, so I would definitely recommend having warm stuff. Once I was into Vermont, I didn't need any cold weather gear until mid september. If possible, have someone at home who can mail you gear as you need it.

think0075
03-18-2009, 18:07
yeah you will definetly want to bring some warm clothes with you if your starting earlier days will usually be hot. but evenings and nights cool. also there is a good chance you will have a good amount of rain. and long sleeves and pants proetect from the vicious black flies and mosquitoes if your leaving in early june. my hiking partner only had rain gear besides his hiking shorts and t shirt and he had to wear them for about a week just because of the bugs. also i just want to suggest anyone going south and starting in june invest in some ben's 100 bug spray. i think thats the best advice anyone could give u.