PDA

View Full Version : Size of food bag?

datachomper
03-10-2009, 13:54
I've made custom stuffsacks for all my other gear and the one thing I have left is a sack to carry my food. So I have a couple questions.

How much food (in bulk) do you, personally, normally carry? Did you buy a foodbag or do you just use like a plastic grocery bag. If you could make your own custom foodbag, how big would you make it? :-?

sarbar
03-10-2009, 13:57
I have a friend who eats a lot (tall and thin) and that man carries a pillowcase full of food :p
Mine is an Ursack so is smaller.

I'd say look at your average amount of food and then use that to figure out the size needed for the bag :)

4eyedbuzzard
03-10-2009, 13:59
I use a Wally World roll top stuff sack. They come in a 3 pack and I either use the large or medium depending upon how many days I'm out(which is rarely more than 2 or 3). Easy to use a bear bag as well with the folded over loop on top.

fiddlehead
03-10-2009, 14:01
17" X 8" for me.
If i carry more food than that, it goes in a regular cheap grocery bag.
Also, this bag goes on the very top of my pack as it's the one i need the most.

Grinder
03-10-2009, 14:33
my last hike I carried 6 days of food. I used the famous walmart three pack.

big one was dinners, second size was lunch (6 ramens are pretty bulky) smallest was instant breakfasts and a pack of bagel-- all went in a pretty good sized hanging bag.

IMHO, food is not the place to minimize size.

True confessions
This concept can be carried too far: On my first hike I packed when hungry. After my shoulders got sore, I left a trace behind me ( of full jars of peanut butter and full boxes of instant milk) Mea Culpa!!

Blissful
03-10-2009, 23:52
I use a Wally World roll top stuff sack. They come in a 3 pack and I either use the large or medium depending upon how many days I'm out(which is rarely more than 2 or 3). Easy to use a bear bag as well with the folded over loop on top.

Used them as well, but forewarned, they are not waterproof.

I now use a sea to summit waterproof bag.

Tipi Walter
03-11-2009, 08:59
I use two size 4 Outdoor Research lightweight stuff sacks, lighter than their Hydroseal models. Different colors, and one is for cookables only and the other for snackables. Of course the question of size is totally dependent on trip length. For a weekend trip one bag will suffice, for 10-12 days the two bag system works best for me.

Mags
03-11-2009, 15:40
I use a x-large silnylon stuff sack. I am a chow hound and tend to fairly high mileage days so I go through the food quickly. :)

take-a-knee
03-11-2009, 16:37
Used them as well, but forewarned, they are not waterproof.

I now use a sea to summit waterproof bag.

Well, you found a dud because mine will function quite nicely as a water bucket.

Footslogger
03-11-2009, 16:51
I've made custom stuffsacks for all my other gear and the one thing I have left is a sack to carry my food. So I have a couple questions.

How much food (in bulk) do you, personally, normally carry? Did you buy a foodbag or do you just use like a plastic grocery bag. If you could make your own custom foodbag, how big would you make it? :-?

===============================

I used/still us a silnylon stuff sack that measures about 7" x 17". I have carried up to 6 days of food in it with no problems. Sometimes you have to repackage foods to get them compact enough to fit but that size bag fits nicely crosswise in a backpack so it's worth it.

'Slogger

Christopher Robin
03-11-2009, 18:20
I bought nylon ripcord fabric in three colors and made them 12x10 w/ a draw string. Work very well, I know which bag is needed for each meal.

SGT Rock
03-11-2009, 19:11
Started my hike last year with a sack that was about 8" x 17" or something like that. I traded it in on something bigger after one week. It wasn't big enough for when I leave out of town.

My recent bag was a Sea to Summit 10" x 18" I got on the trail after wearing out another food bag. The Sea to Summit still wasn't big enough. So my wife made me a new one. Basically we filled the old one up and made the new one big enough to fit around it with a little wiggle room. I've now got it packed with a 4 day lay out and it has some extra space in it.