PDA

View Full Version : How did you or how to you plan to finish the AT?

Hood Ornament
05-22-2004, 09:12
The ATC estimates that about 80% of the hikers who complete the AT are thru-hikers and about 20% are section hikers.

Jaybird
07-26-2004, 17:29
section-hiker Baby! (us middle-aged "baby-boomers" can't get off work for 6 months!!!) :D

Pencil Pusher
07-27-2004, 03:22
I plan to finish the AT butt naked with a cell phone and a Tikka. This is most deserving of a dancing banana:banana

Mountain Dew
07-27-2004, 05:02
I finished with what has to be a record 47 other hikers in October of 2003. Glorious day it was no doubt.

Kerosene
07-27-2004, 08:43
I started as a 15-year old Boy Scout (with 2 other scouts my age) with the DWG to Unionville section through NW Jersey in 1973. Every spring break through high school we would hike for a week on the AT. I didn't do much more until after college and then moved to Michigan which really put a damper on things as I started a career and family. I got the bug again in the late 90's ("White Blaze Fever" never leaves your system) and since then have done at least 100 miles with a plan to complete atop Katahdin in 2013. I just knocked off the Unionville to Vernon section (which I'm glad I did this year rather than the 20+ miles of road walking that used to be there), so now I've completed everything from Catawba, VA north to Glencliff, NH, plus Georgia.

[7/12/05: Completed the 140 miles from Catawba down to Atkins, Virginia in early June. I just tore my MCL, so hopefully I'll be back in hiking shape by next spring!]

Hammock Hanger
10-25-2004, 22:10
It started as a thru-hike (that had been my heart's desire), unfortunately it turned into a 3 year adventure! Which was so fantastic I should remove the word "unfortunately".

2001/900 miles -- 2002/1000 miles -- 2004/278 miles It was a grand time!!!

Sue/Hammock Hanger

Glee
10-25-2004, 22:43
I started out as a Thru Hiker and due to starting late, (April 20, 2004) and a host of other injuries & illness, I was only able to do 1,500. I left the trail 5 days ago and have been having a hard time dealing with it. I went from GA to Harpers Ferry and then jumped to Hanover, NH and went all the way, 440 miles to Katdatin. I then went back to Hanover and started south. I made it as far as Mt Killington, VT when after being sick for over a week and then stuck in a snow storm by myself I knew that after 6 months I had nothing left in me. I'm from California so I'm not sure what I'm going to do at this point. I have some really mixed emotions about everything. I'm still sick and waiting to get better so I can head back home. I'm sure things will become more clear down the road, but for now I wish I was still out there.

Cookerhiker
06-03-2005, 14:46
I don' t know if there's a record for how long it takes to complete the AT but if I finish this year as planned, it will be 28 years! From my first backpacking trip (Vermont, Rt. 30 south to Rt.9) in 1977, I've kept track of my miles ever since. Of course in between, I was doing little things like working and raising a family.

Sly
06-03-2005, 20:01
I don' t know if there's a record for how long it takes to complete the AT but if I finish this year as planned, it will be 28 years!

That's a seriously impressive effort. Congratulations! :clap

Heater
06-03-2005, 21:26
I plan to finish the AT butt naked with a cell phone and a Tikka. This is most deserving of a dancing banana:banana
Please introduce yourself around so that I can give you a least a good 2 hour start! :D

Heater
06-03-2005, 21:30
I plan to start with enough time to walk the whole trail and I will go as far as my body and mind take me.

:sun

The Hog
06-04-2005, 06:40
I started as a section hiker, because of job commitments only managed to put in 300 miles in ten years. I did the math and realized I probably wouldn't achieve my goal at that rate. Then I talked to some thru hikers and knew I was missing something. Something huge.

I kept rereading Ed Garvey's journal, and one page stood out. It was a tough 13 mile segment from Pinkham Notch to Imp shelter. When Garvey got to Imp, he was whipped, but he had enough energy left to cook himself a mess of split pea soup. His next comment: "Gad, but that tasted good!"

In the middle of my thru hike, I came across some Jiffy Pop left at Ralph's Peak Hiker's Cabin (NY). It was left by Ed Garvey. After I finished that popcorn, all I could think of was, Gad, but that tasted good!

Thanks again, Ed.

Nean
06-04-2005, 06:54
First time with my Dad walking the last mile up Springer. Another favorite was butt naked, watching the sunrise, everything was "beautiful" and had Katahdin to myself until I got halfway down 4 or 5 hrs later.

Buckingham
07-10-2005, 23:41
The obligations of being a barely above poverty level worker, and helping my wife raise our hand-full of a two year old, prevent me from doing anything more than section hikes. Someday, after my daughter is old enough, and I hit the lottery so I can afford not to work for 3 to 4 months, I am all over the entire A.T. like a cheap suit.

Turtle2
07-11-2005, 11:12
I sectioned GA in 2004 and am planning to do the rest of the AT in 2006. Husband thinks I'm nuts but is supportive. Can't wait!

Tin Man
07-11-2005, 12:51
Let's see at 40-50 miles per year with 190 already completed, I will complete trail in about 45 years or when I am 88. :-? Maybe I will pick up the pace when I retire.

Actually, my hiking partner/brother and I debate if we will through hike or just finish section hiking when we retire. While we think it would be nice to do it all at once, we are a little concerned our wives will follow through on their talk of traveling around Europe for the 6 months we are gone. :eek:

jackiebolen
07-11-2005, 15:18
I started with a plan to thru-hike it but got bit by a tick and ended up in the hospital. Only 600 more miles to go...so when school is finished I'll be back for sure.

stupe
07-11-2005, 23:31
I did Delaware Water Gap to High Point fifteen years ago, and High Point to the Hudson River five years ago. Never considered doing the whole trail until I read Bill Bryson's book in 2004. It was just a foot trail that was convenient to public transit, and it was in my area.

I was going to through hike last year, starting in Maine in July. But then my dentist delayed me for a month because of periodontal work, and I could'nt start until the middle of August. So I changed my plans and figured I would just do the Long Path ( not to be confused with the Long Trail ) from NYC to Albany, NY, and then take the AT back home. ( I live in NYC) I abandoned that plan when I realized there were challenges to resupplying on the Long Path after one goes north of the Catskills. The Catskills are beautiful.
So I wound up doing the AT from Bennington, Vermont, to Bear Mountain, NY, then stopping home for a week. Then I took Amtrak down to Harper's Ferry, and headed back north. I stayed an entire week in Duncannon, it was a monumental Yeungling (sic) binge for me. In collaboration with Shrek ( is he still there?) , I developed the Bacon Veggie Burger, a culinary oxymoron. Had to leave because the locals ( Jimmy, Johnny, Larry, and Stump ) were trying to find me work. I wanted to observe the locals, not become one. Then I hiked to DWG, and got a bus home in NYC just in time to vote.
I think I would like to do New Hampshire and the rest of Vermont, and maybe Virginia. As much as I love the south, I don't think I care to go further south than Virginia, backpacking, anyway. I'm sure other members will let me know what I am missing. If I ever go to Maine, I want to do it like Thoreau did, with a canoe and a native american guide. Maybe without the guide. I don't think I will ever bother to finish the whole trail.

Nean
07-12-2005, 21:29
With my dad; with a group; by myself

Tim Rich
07-12-2005, 23:40
I plan to finish it next week, on my seventeenth year of sectioneering. We fly out Thursday, roll on to Monson to spend the night at Shaw's and start hiking Friday. We're planning to summit the following Thursday or Friday, if all goes well.

What's next? Perhaps a two year sectioning of the JMT; a completion of missed new sections, or an entire re-hike, of the Pinhoti; and visits back to some of our favorite AT sections.

I should go to bed. My last day of work before heading out starts in six hours...

Take Care,

Tim

Patrickjd9
07-13-2005, 00:03
I don' t know if there's a record for how long it takes to complete the AT but if I finish this year as planned, it will be 28 years! From my first backpacking trip (Vermont, Rt. 30 south to Rt.9) in 1977, I've kept track of my miles ever since. Of course in between, I was doing little things like working and raising a family.I know someone who took 40 years to finish, he started as a Boy Scout during WW II.

Congratulations on your approaching finish. I've hiked about 300 miles of the AT and am thinking of getting more ambitious, mostly as a means of staying sane.

Joey
10-07-2005, 09:38
I started as a 15-year old Boy Scout (with 2 other scouts my age) with the DWG to Unionville section through NW Jersey in 1973. Every spring break through high school we would hike for a week on the AT. I didn't do much more until after college and then moved to Michigan which really put a damper on things as I started a career and family. I got the bug again in the late 90's ("White Blaze Fever" never leaves your system) and since then have done at least 100 miles with a plan to complete atop Katahdin in 2013. I just knocked off the Unionville to Vernon section (which I'm glad I did this year rather than the 20+ miles of road walking that used to be there), so now I've completed everything from Catawba, VA north to Glencliff, NH, plus Georgia.

[7/12/05: Completed the 140 miles from Catawba down to Atkins, Virginia in early June. I just tore my MCL, so hopefully I'll be back in hiking shape by next spring!]Dont feel bad Kerosene, I had some great hikes planned this winter and fractured my left fibula and destroyed the ligaments as well. Had surgery August 22 and have a 6 inch plate 4 pins and a screw through the center of my ankle!! You talking about torture!! Doc says no hiking until summer or this time next year and my snowskiing!!! Late 2006 early 2007!! Looking at these photos and all sure makes me "Trailsick"!! I start rehab next week and I am focused on getting in even better shape than I was prior to the injury!!

drsukie
01-05-2006, 20:58
I gotta give some applause here -- I work with physical problems all day long ( I am a sports chiropractor, and teach at a massage school), but in these Forums and in the books on long distance hiking, I am absolutely amazed (and smiling) at the persistence of y'all.

I have people come into my office every day that won't use a different kind of PILLOW (hello!) to make their "problem" resolve! Here, people have endured and suffered so many different types of sprains, strains, fractures, breaks, dislocations, the Virginia and other Blues, and God-knows-what-else (I won't even go into the digestive and plant and insect things) that I have to laugh!

I also have to chill - I have three more months until I can leave it all to pursue this journey. I suspect I will have less tolerance for bogus problems as my departure date (April 15) looms closer. Wish me patience.

Kudos to all of you who have made it, tried to make it, plan on making it, want to make it, and on and on.

;) Sue

shades of blue
01-05-2006, 21:08
I started June of 2003 and finished August 18, 2005. The second half of the trail I hiked from the end of May 2005 to August, 2005. In some ways, it was similiar to how I hear thru-hiking described. Section hiking was great, but now I want to take my soon to be wife and thru-hike the trail. I would like to see the southern trail in March and hike into Spring. Anyway, it's all good. I love the AT....even when it kicked my butt...which it often did.

KirkMcquest
01-05-2006, 21:33
I plan to finish my hike without slackpacking, I find this to be a little like cheating. Hiking the trail from beginning to end without the aid of a support team is the way to go.

Lone Wolf
01-05-2006, 21:34
I'm with ya kirk! You da man!!

KirkMcquest
01-05-2006, 21:40
I'm with ya kirk! You da man!!

Thanks wolf!!! Some of these slackpackers are just fooling themselves.

Lone Wolf
01-05-2006, 21:44
Matter of fact, in 16,000 AT miles backpacked I've only slackpacked 17 miles. I ain't proud of it. Seriously. I'm still in a 12 step program cuz of it.

KirkMcquest
01-05-2006, 21:49
Matter of fact, in 16,000 AT miles backpacked I've only slackpacked 17 miles. I ain't proud of it. Seriously. I'm still in a 12 step program cuz of it.

That is an acceptable percentage of slackpacking, just don't let it get out of controll. You definitly want to do it the REAL WAY.

Lone Wolf
01-05-2006, 21:51
And I always carry a 40lb +/- pack.

KirkMcquest
01-05-2006, 21:57
I knew a guy, virginian I think, who had his mama pick him up each day with some milk and cookies and dropped him off without a pack. He claimed he was a thru-hiker!

ed bell
01-05-2006, 22:09
Wolves are great hunters. Always get their prey right where they want them.:cool:

Lone Wolf
01-05-2006, 22:11
Wolves always take the sick, diseased and weak. Nature's cleanser.

KirkMcquest
01-05-2006, 22:13
Wolves always take the sick, diseased and weak. Nature's cleanser.

But always run from a direct challenge, natures' cowards you might say

Lone Wolf
01-05-2006, 22:18
Lone wolves are different than pack wolves.

KirkMcquest
01-05-2006, 22:19
Wolves are great hunters. Always get their prey right where they want them.:cool:

Another interesting fact about wolves ( though this is abit off topic), they only hunt in packs, not very formidible one on one.( contrary to popular belief)

Skidsteer
01-05-2006, 22:59
Another interesting fact about wolves ( though this is abit off topic), they only hunt in packs, not very formidible one on one.( contrary to popular belief)

Don't know about that, but in a showdown between one lone wolf and one little puppy, I know who wins.

Skidsteer
01-05-2006, 23:46
I think we must have killed him.

ed bell
01-06-2006, 00:14
Ever since I started camping/hiking/backpacking I have always looked foreward to the next time. The AT hike as a ME>GA or GA>ME is but a dream to most, but so is completion in one's lifetime. I really hope to finish the trail in one year as well as finishing all of my section hikes. I've got a long way to go, but I've always got the time I'm out there, and that always seems like the most important.:sun

Wolfpaw
01-06-2006, 00:36
when i am about to summit in maine im gonna play the rocky them song on my mpthree player probably the only time ill hike with it. But ill probably ill do the jeffersons before a good dinner though:clap