PDA

View Full Version : maryland hiking

joneshiker
03-10-2009, 16:32
i am planning on hiking through maryland this summer (starting at harper's ferry & moving north). can anyone tell me about the trail conditions through there & also about the shelters. 1 person in our party may not have a tent...will that be an issue?

Caveman of Ohio
03-10-2009, 16:46
I just did Hapers Ferry to Boiling Springs this May and it was a easy stretch of trail. This was the first time back to the trail since September of prior year and I was in couch shape. I parked my car on the side of the Atc and got a cheap shuttle back with Gelinas B & B.

Toolshed
03-10-2009, 16:49
The trail is pretty nice through Maryland. Like PA, it is mostly ridges and the spots for water are usually more than a few hours away from each other - The trail gets drier as summer wears on, but as much as I worried about water, there was water in every spring except at the next Shelter South of Devils Racecourse (Can't think of the name right now).

I am a big believer in ABCS (Always be carrying...shelter) Can that one person seek shelter in another's tent in the event of adverse weather (dangerous if they get separated).
Although the shelters were not full when I went through, I would not bank on that normally being the case.
Also, Can the shelterless carry a simple tarp, and learn to rig it before you go?

wrongway_08
03-10-2009, 17:32
Easy area, some climbs on the PA side but Maryland is easy.

Should be fine without a tent, as long as it dont rain.

High Life
03-10-2009, 18:01
the only somewhat hard climb would be up to devils racecourse , but even that isnt too hard . just be prepared for hot temps if your there in mid to late june

Frosty
03-10-2009, 19:03
may not have a tent...will that be an issue?Not as long as you don't ask me to give up my spot in the shelter and set up my tent so you don't have to sit in the rain all night. :D

Toolshed
03-10-2009, 20:17
the only somewhat hard climb would be up to devils racecourse , but even that isnt too hard . just be prepared for hot temps if your there in mid to late june
I dreaded that climb as well as the one out of Harper's Ferry. Afterwards, I found both to be very much non-issues and it was the worrying about those climbs was far greater than the actual climb out of the valleys..

Lone Wolf
03-10-2009, 20:23
i am planning on hiking through maryland this summer (starting at harper's ferry & moving north). can anyone tell me about the trail conditions through there & also about the shelters. 1 person in our party may not have a tent...will that be an issue?

the terrain is extremely easy and i've never stayed in a shelter in maryland. they have them?

camojack
03-10-2009, 20:59
the terrain is extremely easy and i've never stayed in a shelter in maryland. they have them?
The Garvey shelter is VERY nice...

Lone Wolf
03-10-2009, 22:01
a shelter is a shelter is a shelter

camojack
03-10-2009, 22:12
a shelter is a shelter is a shelter
True. But you did ask.

Here are links to my pictures of the Garvey shelter:

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=22781&catid=member&orderby=title&direction=ASC&imageuser=8204&cutoffdate=-1
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=22780&catid=member&orderby=title&direction=ASC&imageuser=8204&cutoffdate=-1