PDA

View Full Version : Quehanna Trail in Pennsylvania

clockman
05-22-2004, 11:53
Has anyone here hiked the Quehanna Trail in Northern Pennsylvania? If so, what can you tell me about it? eg. water, re-supply points and campsites. The DCNR map that I have really doesn't show any re-supply points-stores, towns, etc. Or campsites. Hoping to get out late summer-early fall before hunting season and was looking for a 7-10 day hike.

Thanks!

John

Toofarafoot
05-22-2004, 22:32
Just hiked the Quehanna Trail last week. I had been hiking the AT in VA for 2 weeks in April, but found it too crowded with northbound thru hikers. I longed for more solitude, so returned home and did the QT. In my 5 days on this trail, I encountered NO hikers, just 2 trail maintainers and one turkey hunter. Water is no problem - plenty of streams; there are numerous campsites, but no shelters. No resupply points, unless you walk (or hitch) 4-5 miles to the town of Sinnemahoning at the Wykoff Run Rd crossing. If you do go to Sinnemahoning, be sure to stop at the Willows restaurant for their Willow burger; they also have Yuengling on draft for 1.25. By the way, I also maintain 4.5 miles of the QT. After my hike, I returned to blaze my section, and have to return soon to finish as it began raining before I finished. Hope that you enjoy your hike!

Toofarafoot

Spirit Walker
06-01-2004, 12:18
We just hiked the eastern loop over the long weekend. Water is definitely not a problem. We had no problem finding campsites either. The trail is only 73 miles. You really won't need a resupply, or if you really don't want to carry that much food, you can do a cache on your way to the trailhead. Just be sure to hang it well - there are lots of hungry critters who would like to get into it. We had a raccoon come check us out at lunch one day, hoping we would leave some food behind. I agree about the lack of company on the trail. Though it was a holiday weekend, we only ran into two other backpackers. We saw some dayhikers near the beaver impoundment on the cross-connector and by the number of cars in the parking lots we knew there were other people out there, but we never saw them. Did see nine deer though.