PDA

View Full Version : Urethane Ripstop Tarp Tips

woodcraft
03-11-2009, 00:21
Hello. I just found this site a while back and I have been reading back a ways. I would like to make a couple of tarps. I found the "Identifying Fabric at Wal-Mart" thread helpful and I recently picked up some fabric from my Walmart. At my only local store that sells fabric they are having a 25% off clearance sale on all fabrics. They told me no stores will be selling fabric any more. I picked up some bright blue sil and a bunch of what I think is gray urethane coated ripstop. I would like to make my tarps from the urethane coated stuff. Does anyone have any tips for sewing and seam sealing the urethane ripstop fabric? Anyone have any links to a good tutorial on sewing a tarp in general?

Rocketman
03-16-2009, 12:29
Coated side as the inside. Hem it. Don't use metal grommets. Use grosgrain or nylon or polyester strip for attachments. Use reinforcement in tie-outs of all kinds. Borrow "the Tarp Book" from the library, if they have it (or get it on interlibrary loan or buy it). Look at some tarps people have made or tarps that are sold commercially.

Use Google to search for DIY tarps plans and patterns, such as those for DIY tarptents (without the inner bug netting).

RollingStone
03-18-2009, 02:50
As an FYI, you can pickup good ripstop at Jo-Ann fabrics. An 8X10 tarp made of their stuff weighs about 18 ounces.

sclittlefield
03-18-2009, 12:39
Coated Rip-stop at Jo-Ann's? I've never seen it.

RevoRunner
03-31-2009, 19:28
I picked up some ripstop from Hobby Lobby... gotta test the waterproofing though.