PDA

View Full Version : Trekking Poles How Many ??

jcramin
03-11-2009, 09:52
Im just curious about peoples views on trekking poles ?
Do you use one, two, or none and why?

I am just curious because I have usually used just one because Ive always wanted one hand free to grab a tree or a person or adjust something on the move.

J

warraghiyagey
03-11-2009, 09:53
Two. . . mine have over 1500 miles on them and I've never had a problem with them if I have to use my hands for any type of maneuvering/climbing.

Hooch
03-11-2009, 09:57
I use two for the extra support on my knees. I don't worry too much about not being able to adjust on the fly, really. I can easily stuff one or both poles under my arm as I walk and make adjustments without difficulty.

Turtlehiker
03-11-2009, 10:04
I use 2, and have never had a problem with being able to adjust something or let go of the pole to grab a tree or rock.
One thing that I have noticed is that a lot of people do not use the straps right. Your hand should come up thru the loop then down over the grip. If the straps are adjusted right they help support the load instead of just using your hand strength. This will also allow the pole to fall out of our hand if you let go.
When I was a ski instructor using straps wrong lead to a lot of broken thumbs.

Spirit Walker
03-11-2009, 10:47
It may depend on why you are using the poles. If you want support for your knees, then two poles is better. You'll put pressure on them evenly if you have two. I use a stick primarily to prevent falls and to clear trail - so I only use one. It gives me enough extra help when going over blowdowns or across streams and has prevented many falls. However I don't need or want two poles - not for the way I use them.

4eyedbuzzard
03-11-2009, 10:54
I just use one, the old hiking staff concept. Also serves as a tarp pole, camera mount, etc. But I can see where two could be beneficial. Old habits are hard to break though. I don't think I'd be comfortable with two.

burger
03-11-2009, 12:49
I used one pole from Waynesboro VA to Glencliff. That was enough--the trail isn't very steep through there, and the one pole just provided a bit of extra support or stability on the occasional steep downhill. From Glencliff through central Maine, I used two, and I was glad to have both. That section has steep terrain, with lots of big steps on the downhills--it's nice to have two poles to let yourself down easy in those kinds of situations.

But now that I've ditched my tent for a tarp, I'll probably be taking two poles with me all the time, even if the terrain doesn't call for two poles.

Summit
03-11-2009, 12:53
One pole for each arm/hand! If you have more than two . . . then how ever many it takes! :eek:

Proper use of straps is critical. If your straps aren't bearing your body weight, then you aren't adjusting and using them properly. And if you aren't going to, or don't want to use the straps properly, then save your money and use a stick. Straps, used properly, will save your knees and legs from plenty of wear-n-tear! No wonder you see most thru hikers using them these days.

Frick Frack
03-11-2009, 12:58
One pole for each arm/hand! If you have more than two . . . then how ever many it takes! :eek:

Proper use of straps is critical. If your straps aren't bearing your body weight, then you aren't adjusting and using them properly. And if you aren't going to, or don't want to use the straps properly, then save your money and use a stick. Straps, used properly, will save your knees and legs from plenty of wear-n-tear! No wonder you see most thru hikers using them these days.

Ditto for me....good answer

garlic08
03-11-2009, 13:01
I used one pole for my first two Western thru hikes. The CDT especially required constant map and compass reading at times, and having one hand free was a real bonus. It was also easier to drink and sometimes snack while walking. But on the AT, concerned about the steeper grades and poor tread in places, I used two for the first time and was glad I did.

I was always in the extreme minority when I carried one pole but I didn't let that stop me from doing it.

D'Artagnan
03-11-2009, 13:18
Without my dog: 2
With my dog: 1

Foyt20
03-11-2009, 16:28

Big Dawg
03-11-2009, 22:04
Im just curious about peoples views on trekking poles ?
Do you use one, two, or none and why?

I am just curious because I have usually used just one because Ive always wanted one hand free to grab a tree or a person or adjust something on the move.

J

I use 2. Mine have straps, so when I need to use my hands, I just let go of the poles, even while I'm moving. They may drag while I use my hands, but can be re-gripped easily while I'm on the move.

Blissful
03-11-2009, 22:05
Two.

Toolshed
03-11-2009, 22:12
After reconstructive knee surgery in 94, I started using 1 pole. After a couple of years, I started seeing more using 2. I tried it and foundI could really crank up and down hills and have used 2 ever since.

Pokey2006
03-11-2009, 22:17
I used one pole from Waynesboro VA to Glencliff. That was enough--the trail isn't very steep through there, and the one pole just provided a bit of extra support or stability on the occasional steep downhill. From Glencliff through central Maine, I used two, and I was glad to have both. That section has steep terrain, with lots of big steps on the downhills--it's nice to have two poles to let yourself down easy in those kinds of situations.

But now that I've ditched my tent for a tarp, I'll probably be taking two poles with me all the time, even if the terrain doesn't call for two poles.

Actually, I'm the opposite. I find that in steeper terrain, I prefer one pole, so I can use my free hand for balancing and rock scrambling. I always found that in the White Mtns., I was putting both of my poles in one hand as I eased down or crawled up a mountain, so I tried leaving one pole behind, and, lo and behold, those steep trails became so much easier to navigate!

I used to use two poles all the time, but I'm finding more and more that I prefer just one. It's just enough for support and balance, yet leaves another hand free for map reading, water drinking, etc.

JAK
03-11-2009, 22:33
I use 0 or 1 hiking staff when hiking, and 2 cross-country ski poles when skiing.

I find the hiking staff most useful at night, and on slippery ice, on down slopes, and around wet place. In general it is for balance, probing, vaulting, self-defence. Also for looking great, of course, which is my gift to my small and very exclusive local hiking community. :D

Summit
03-11-2009, 22:38
After reconstructive knee surgery in 94, I started using 1 pole. After a couple of years, I started seeing more using 2. I tried it and foundI could really crank up and down hills and have used 2 ever since.Now you know that's just marketing hype, 'trekking pole religion' that makes you think they're helping! :rolleyes: Trekking pole users like yourself and I are delusional and stupid.

It's really silly for someone to call me stupid for using trekking poles. Heck, call my wife @ BR549 and she'll give you 100 really good, unarguable reasons to call me stupid! :eek: :D

JAK
03-11-2009, 22:55
Hey, even I think 2 hiking poles are stupid, and I'm stupid. ;)

Blue Wolf
03-11-2009, 23:06
Hmm maybe I will try one pole? maybe I can hike in circles. I trek with 2 and I still say poles are a preference and it's one that I prefer cause my ass is old and my knees hurt when going down a hill. And i like the boingity sound they make it scares the bears away I hope.

Mags
03-11-2009, 23:10
0,1 or 2.

It all depends upon your hiking style, preference and finding what works for you.

Despite what other people tell you about knives, water filters, phones,stoves,whatever, there is no one, correct and absolute way to hike.

(Well, unless you read my book: HIKE MY HIKE - DAMN IT! (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37459&highlight=high+holy+council+hiking))

BrianLe
03-12-2009, 18:57
"... there is no one, correct and absolute way to hike"

Definitely agreed. There is, however, some specific logic to each specific "style" item, such as the number of poles and how they're used. When I switched a few years ago from one pole to two poles, I found it a fundamentally different experience --- it's not like both arms are doing separately what the one arm does with just one pole. The two poles are integrated with the walking process in a more fundamental way.

I'm a convert, of course with caveats --- when on fairly level smooth terrain I like to carry the poles in one hand and swing my arms and move out faster. In certain situations it definitely is better to have one hand free.

LBJ
03-12-2009, 19:50
Definently - three.

hopefulhiker
03-13-2009, 08:13
I use two poles. I just got another set from REI on clearance, trying to save a few oz's... When I go down the hill to get water I sometimes use one...