PDA

View Full Version : Passover on the trail

GuyB
03-11-2009, 12:41
hey guys,

I'm a northbounder, currentlly in neels gap, and I'll be at ervin, or hot springs in a couple of weeks, april 5th I hope.
Passover (I'm Jewish, from israel :D) is celebrated at april 8th night, does anyone here know about a nice jewish community or family that will host me along the trail for the night?
thanks

slowandlow
03-11-2009, 12:55
The likelihood of you finding a Jewish community or even a Jewish family in that area is very slim. You may run into other Jewish hikers though, maybe you could celebrate with them.

The Weasel
03-11-2009, 13:19
There is a synagogue in Johnson City, reachable from Ervin, at this web address. A call to them might find a family in Ervin. It is not impossible that Elmer's in Hot Springs would be aware of where a seder may occur nearby.

http://www.mavensearch.com/synagogues/C3339Y41999RX

Weasy

Red Hat
03-11-2009, 15:00
I have contacted a friend in the area that might be able to help. Shalom!

Mags
03-11-2009, 15:31
Enjoy the Passover. It occurred to me that the Wandering Jew may just end up being your trailname. :)

On that note..this website may be of interest/help:
http://www.blogher.com/node/17102

(I am invited to a Seder dinner every year and feel very fortunate to take part in this wonderful evening)

HeartFire
03-11-2009, 15:57
Guy B
You are welcome to come to my house for a Seder, it will be kosher for passover, but vegetarian. I live just south of Asheville, and will be glad to come pick you up in Erwin (it's only about 1 hr drive). Let me know
HeartFire aka Judy

mkmangold
03-11-2009, 18:44
hey guys,

I'm a northbounder, currentlly in neels gap, and I'll be at ervin, or hot springs in a couple of weeks, april 5th I hope.
Passover (I'm Jewish, from israel :D) is celebrated at april 8th night, does anyone here know about a nice jewish community or family that will host me along the trail for the night?
thanks

Hey. I'm not Jewish but believe every Christian should be honoring Passover anyway. I hope you find a family to honor it with (since my understanding is that it is a family-centered holiday) but if you don't, how about holding a Seder yourself for other hikers who happen to be interested? Just a thought.

Ox97GaMe
03-11-2009, 22:36
If you get a chance, I would get in contact with Elmers in Hot Springs. Elmer might be able to help you out with this. I cant guarantee anything, but I know that Elmer has a lot of different religous groups at his B&B throughout the year. He would be your best bet for initial information. Since you plan to be in that general area, that should work out for you.

Also.. it will be a push to get from Neels to Hot Springs in just 2 weeks. Most hikers are doing that distance in about 3 weeks. You are talking about doing about 240 miles. With short days, rain and likely snow, that is VERY aggressive. I would say it might be more realistic to target for Gatlinburg for that weekend.

Jeremy
03-11-2009, 23:08
I leave for my thru hike right after passover. Elmer in hot springs is a good guy, that is a good suggestion. I'm sorry I can't help you, but as a fellow Jew, I wish you a happy passover, and I hope you find what you're looking for. I love the state of Israel, I visited Israel right after the war with Lebanon, and it is a beautiful place. I just want you to know you are not alone, it's good to hear you're taking a long hike. L'chaim!

.5step
03-12-2009, 01:46
GuyB--if you find out let me know. I should be in those parts around that time as well and would love to celebrate with some other M'sOT.

I'm looking forward to spending Shavout out on the trail.

Red Hat
03-12-2009, 10:19
Not sure why there are two of these threads, but you should have been contacted by someone who will be pleased to share Passover with you.

Red Hat
03-12-2009, 10:29
Bumping this up since there are two threads...

Alligator
03-12-2009, 11:36
Threads merged.

High Life
03-12-2009, 13:35
this thread is absolutely blowing my mind , those of you .. that know anything about my 2007 thru-hike might know why .. all i can say is this it's a very nice to see the support
that one finds here :)

Gray Blazer
03-12-2009, 14:39
this thread is absolutely blowing my mind , those of you .. that know anything about my 2007 thru-hike might know why .. all i can say is this it's a very nice to see the support
that one finds here :)

Oy vey!!

NCYankee
03-19-2009, 15:11
I don't know if you found a suitable place for Passover but I will be going up to my brother's in Asheville and you are more than welcome to ours. We don't do a traditional one in any way or form (it's very abridged) but it would be our pleasure to have you and help in any way we can.

HeartFire
03-19-2009, 15:57
I've been in touch with GuyB, and he will be coming to my house for a Seder.:)

Nicksaari
03-19-2009, 18:15
im a Heeb, too. nice to see all y'all on WB because i seriously thought i was the only one. haha.

i hope that no one judges me now.

mazal tov!

mkmangold
03-19-2009, 18:24
im a Heeb, too. nice to see all y'all on WB because i seriously thought i was the only one. haha.

i hope that no one judges me now.

mazal tov!

Just don't steal my kids and make them work for you!

Nicksaari
03-19-2009, 18:46
haven't step foot in synagogue in a few years. ive abandoned my faith for this decade. footpaths enveloped by woods are my temple

maybe the next near-death experience will rekindle my faith, and god and me can date once again.

j/k- i have faith. much faith. ive got a soul, but im not a soldier.

"if god is truly just, than i pray for the fate of my country."
-ben franklin

Tennessee Viking
03-19-2009, 19:13
hey guys,

thanks
I believe Johnson City or Asheville will be your closest locations to find a synagogue.

sjdTN
03-30-2009, 22:00
I live in Johnson City, Tenn. The nearest synagogue on this side of the mountains is the B'nai Sholom Congregation in Blountville, near Bristol, Tenn. Here's the web site: http://tn006.urj.net/index.html. I think there is also a synagogue in Asheville, but I don't know where it is.
Best wishes.