PDA

View Full Version : What's the worst item you've seen a hiker start the AT with?

drastic_quench
03-11-2009, 17:55
I love hearing stories of people starting off carrying cans of Coleman fuel and such. Supposedly, great sites like this have cut down on the phenomenon, but what've you witnessed over the years?

boarstone
03-11-2009, 18:24
10x10 heavy poly tarp, no experience, plenty of gusto, willingness to participate, no fear of the unknown, scout stove w/ 1lb. canister, started out w/two dogs lost both by Gulf Hags,(never did recover them) 5lb. two man tent,(1 person), Hoho packs of beer, cases of beer, 5ths of whatever, fishing poles that don't collapse(until later), total amnesia to hiking but have the "camping" part down. Can't comprehend directions when pertaining to the woods... A mile in the woods is not a mile on the road etc....but by gee! they are having fun!

JF2CBR
03-11-2009, 18:25
I'm not sure about one item but my friend just started with a 50 lb pack. He had a hatchet, two large knives, 3 pots, 3 fuel canisters, food for 5 weeks, 10 lbs of dog food, a large 2 person tent, and about 75 clif shots. All seemed wayyyy overkill to me.

John B
03-11-2009, 18:30
A 6-pack of bottled water.

Cannibal
03-11-2009, 18:35
67.5 lb pack on the approach trail. Dude had a steel hatchet, a circus sized tent, a huge blue tarp, 8lbs of rice, Coleman lantern (with size "D" batteries) and an extra pair of hiking boots dangling from his pack. That's just what I can think of off the top of my head.

To his credit, he carried it without complaint. Trailname was: "Mule". We gave it to him the first night at Black Gap Shelter.

JERMM
03-11-2009, 18:38
I saw a guy wearing a ice cooler on his chest last year. He had attached nylon straps to the sides and looped them over his shoulders, like wearing a pack backwards. I guess I don't need to mention he got off the trail at Mountain Crossings.

TD55
03-11-2009, 19:00
Plastic toilet seat with collapsible stand was the funniet, but I've seen more than one dutch ovens and iron skillets.

UnkaJesse
03-11-2009, 19:20
Lord I hope the dude I'm about to describe was just out for the weekend, but I witnessed the following just south of Black Gap Shelter......

Crossed the forest service road at Nimblewill Gap and noticed a military haul bag (I'm sure there's a name for it, but it looks like an olive drab climber's haul bag) just off the trail in the grass. I didn't think much of it as I know the Rangers train in the area. Stopped to pump h2o about half way to the shelter and spoke to a fellow in denim overalls, packless, coming down. Again, didn't think much of it. Stopped for lunch at Black Gap shelter and there's a big, steel cruiser bicycle leaning against the shelter wall. (It's even one of those Harley-Davidson inspired deals with huge tires and a sofa for a seat. It had to weigh 40 lbs. As a mountain biker, I almost fainted thinking about pedaling that sucker across a parking lot, much less up the AT.) And hanging from the cable is another of those military bags. Anyway, we all had a big laugh about the fool that pedaled that bike up there and what the fine would be for mechanized travel on the AT. We figured the owner of the haul bag was off in the woods takin' care of his bidness.

A bit later, the same fellow from the water stop rolls into the shelter carrying another military bag and flops it down on the table. He pulled out a cast iron sandwich griller and fire up his coleman carcamping stove, also in the bag. So, we had to get more info.....

Well it turns out that Capernicus here was shuttling his bike and two bags of stuff up the trail. So, leaving two bags in Nimblewill Gap he rode up to Black Gap on the bike, then hiked back down. He took one bag up leaving one at Nimblewill and one in the tree like I found it, then went back for the second.

God only knows what was in those bags. I have always wondered how far he made it with his triple shuttle hiking style. And, what the fudge did the bike add to his outdoor experience?

UnkaJesse
03-11-2009, 19:21
I saw a guy wearing a ice cooler on his chest last year. He had attached nylon straps to the sides and looped them over his shoulders, like wearing a pack backwards. I guess I don't need to mention he got off the trail at Mountain Crossings.

Just a side note here, if any of you are willing to carry the cooler, I'll buy the beer. I'm just sayin'......

Summit
03-11-2009, 19:31
I saw a woman with a five lb cast iron frying pan dangling from a rope off her pack near Woody Gap, GA. Said her destination was PA. I seriously doubt she made it out of GA.

Mighty Mouse
03-11-2009, 20:05
Last year, I saw:
1) One dude with a 5 lb bag of rice. Non-instant to boot! Never saw or heard of him after day 3 on the trail.
2) Four guys, hiking together, all carrying axes. The were supposedly going to use them to chop firewood. Kind of scary.
3) Four guys sharing one water filter, but each carried their own camcorder. Made perfect sense once you got to know them. Just not the smartest move, since they frequently got separated.
4) Guy carried a spice bag that was the size of my food bag. He still had it in Erwin, the last I saw him. I don't think he ate one Lipton's on the trail. I heard he finished too!

Blue Wolf
03-11-2009, 20:46
10 days worth of food a guy had in 07 he was going to resupply in Franklin his pack was 60 + pounds at Neel Gap.

EAnderson
03-11-2009, 20:49
A year ago March 1st, we hiked up the approach trail to Springer (where we met Kirby) and then stayed the night at Len Foote Hike Inn. We saw a guy (not Kirby) on the way up who looked to be in agony. On the way down, we passed him again not far from where we last saw him hours or so before. We found out that he stopped at Len Foote to ask for help in downsizing his pack. They removed a pair or 2 of jeans, a pound of coffee, a jar of honey for his coffee, a full sized saw and hatchet, a large maglight, & a heavy water proof bag liner. He started with about 72 lbs and got it down to 35lbs or so.

Another guy had a great light ULA pack with the largest almost gallon sized container of bear spray attached. Felt sorry for the bears.

freefall
03-11-2009, 20:52
Two cousins were carrying a 5 man tent between the two of them, easily 15 pounds. By the NOC one had dropped out. That meant that one had to carry the whole thing. The next morning I passed him on the trail about a half hour up. About an hour later he was passing me and said he dumped the tent a while back and felt much lighter!

Frick Frack
03-11-2009, 20:54
4) Guy carried a spice bag that was the size of my food bag. He still had it in Erwin, the last I saw him. I don't think he ate one Lipton's on the trail. I heard he finished too!

I think we ran into this same guy last year! It was VT maybe?

I did a section hike 3-4 years ago and met some nobos who started with "tater". He started with a 50lb sack of potatos and that is what he intended on eating along the trail. They may have been pulling my leg :-?

Frick Frack
03-11-2009, 20:58
On that same section hike we met "vertical eddie". He started up the approach trail with almost 80lbs and went back to AFSP and managed to get down to a uber-light 60-something lbs....he had tree stoves (alchohol, wood burning and butane). He told us it took him 3 trys to get up to Springer. He was quite the talker and funny as hell.

Skidsteer
03-11-2009, 21:16
A firelog.

http://images.hardwareandtools.com/P/6710024.jpg

My comment? Well, at least you can get rid of it easy enough.

snowhoe
03-11-2009, 21:27
I saw a guy with a pick ax. He said he was looking for gold. He was in GA.

Egads
03-11-2009, 21:27
10 days worth of food a guy had in 07 he was going to resupply in Franklin his pack was 60 + pounds at Neel Gap.

Musta been one of those hikers without an agenda. Packing 30 days of food just to get to Franklin

thecaptain
03-11-2009, 21:30
last year on our section hike from deep gap NC to springer we passed 4 nobo's one had a BB gun strapped to his pack...I did not see how many BB's he was carrying

Ox97GaMe
03-11-2009, 21:45
I have seen quite a bit. And I have heard even more. 8 years as a GATC maintainer gets you the inside scoop on all kinds of funny stories.

Here are some of the best ones...

a) i heard a similar story of the dual duffle bag story from 2008. Except that guy had 2 25-30 lb duffles and an 80+ lb pack. He would carry the pack up the trail, set it down and then go retrieve the two duffles. He did that all the way to Suches before he ditched the duffles. I heard that he was still carrying almost 80 lbs of gear when he go to Neels Gap.

b) 2007 a guy started the approach trail with a 4 wheel dolly rigged so as to attach on the bottom of his pack. The dolly contained 3 large plastic tubs. Each tub contained various food items. He had calculated the amount of lipton dinners, drink mixes, tuna packs, granola bars, etc that he would need to get to Harpers Ferry. That was going to be his first resupply point.

c) 2005 we had to rescue a gentleman from the old fire tower remains near Frosty Mtn on the approach trail. His pack was approx 120 lbs and contained a dutch oven AND an 11 inch cast iron skillet. He had blown out both knees (big suprise). To his credit, when I asked him why he had the cast iron items, his response was.... He could use them in a camp fire and would therefore not need to carry a stove and fuel. I give him credit for at least thinking it through, even if it wasnt the most logical of conclusions.

d) 2007 a hiker pulled out a Glock 45 at Neels Gap, sets it on the counter, and tells Winton... 'They told me I couldnt stay in the hostel unless I turned this in to you.'

I can honestly say that I have probably seen it all or heard it all. But, every year there is someone that makes me smile and say.. 'Ive never heard that one before'. I cant wait to start hearing the '09 stories. :)

Ox97GaMe
03-11-2009, 21:49
Oh.. I almost forgot.. there was a guy last year or the year before that had ridden his bike to Springer, disassembled it, strapped it to his pack, and was carrying it up the trail. He intended to continue on some cross country bike trip after he got to Katadin.

fiddlehead
03-11-2009, 21:56
5 gallons of water. (and a Maine or Bust flag) I don't think they made it out of GA.

garlic08
03-11-2009, 21:59
Two guys, packs on backs, carrying motorcycle helmets.

Lumberjack2003
03-11-2009, 22:10
Two guys, packs on backs, carrying motorcycle helmets.

Please tell me that they were quickly named The Crash Test Dummies.

JJJ
03-11-2009, 22:12
These are great. I think everyone starting a thru should carry at least one totally illogical, unnecessary item, for humilities sake and good humor at shelters.

Lyle
03-11-2009, 22:46
Not on the AT, but a 70 something year old woman, carrying a full pack with an extra cloth bag around her neck, hanging in front. She used this to carry an extra two plastic milk jugs of water. She would hike for miles carrying this water.

4eyedbuzzard
03-11-2009, 22:46
Tuba Man '00 gets my vote - forget just showing up with a Tuba, but actually carrying that sucker 2000 miles is both wierd and impressive at the same time.

Jim Adams
03-11-2009, 22:58
A firelog.

http://images.hardwareandtools.com/P/6710024.jpg

My comment? Well, at least you can get rid of it easy enough.
Skids,
Was it in his emergency rescue pack?:D

There is gold near the AT in Georgia.

geek

Tinker
03-11-2009, 22:59
http://ngeorgia.com/history/goldrush.html
Maybe he wasn't quite as nutty as you thought.:-?

Jim Adams
03-11-2009, 23:11
1990-Mule had a 100lb. pack at Springer...ax, machette, Rambo knife, LARGE pepper spray, tazer and 380 pistol...and those were just the weapons!
Mule was talked into sending "stuff" home and got down to a feathery 55lbs. He made it to Katahdin.

2002- Think it was Rocky Top...saw him on the approach trail with a 2 burner coleman camp stove, a gallon of water and a gallon of coleman fuel strapped to the back of his pack, "spare" hiking boots dangling/swinging below the pack and a huge 12" x 36" tent roll in his arms. He had 3 weeks of food and another gallon of coleman fuel inside the pack with his 5lb. cotton sleeping bag and all of his cloths. From behind you could not see any of his body from the knees up...the pack was that big!
He re-outfitted at Neel's and hiked to Katahdin with a 28lb. pack.

geek

DavidNH
03-11-2009, 23:51
I recall somewhere in NJ a hiker who packed a gallon jug of spring water!!

David

Wags
03-12-2009, 00:07
funny thread keep going

Manwich
03-12-2009, 00:30
Please tell me that they were quickly named The Crash Test Dummies.

mmm mmm mmm mmm

once there was this guy who
carried a bunch of heavy crap
like cast iron skillets

and when he finally gave up
he
had
blown out both of his knees
he said it was for campfires but little did he know
that new jersey doesnt allow them.

Manwich
03-12-2009, 00:32
some context for my previous post:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4WbwwhBmRk

Manwich
03-12-2009, 00:38
before i ended up being hiker savvy, i used to carry some embarrasing crap:

walmart headlamp that ran off'a 3 AAA batteries + 6 spare batteries
Solar+Crank Radio / Emergency Lamp
Capri Sun
Military Surplus Collapsable Trowel / Axe
Char Cloth (Not so much dumb... but kinda superfluous)
Dryer Lint - I'd use it primarily for a camp pillow of sorts with the doubling up capability for tinder... I'd go to the laundromat and ask if I could take some from their 40 dryers. I still have about 3 full gallon-ziplocs full of them. Useful for car camping still.
My guitar. Sometimes I'll bring it, My jaw harp, harmonica and bongo on a weekend trip with the AMC or friends.
I once brought my laptop. I had a term paper due that monday.

drastic_quench
03-12-2009, 02:00
mmm mmm mmm mmm

once there was this guy who
carried a bunch of heavy crap
like cast iron skillets

and when he finally gave up
he
had
blown out both of his knees
he said it was for campfires but little did he know
that new jersey doesnt allow them.
Oh, that's priceless. We should keep it going.

Once there was this boy who
packed along two duffel bags
with his Harley-brand bicycle

And when he finally found out
he
would
hike every mile three times,
he mailed himself home from
Walasi-Yi's trail store

mmm mmm mmm mmm

TJ aka Teej
03-12-2009, 08:38
I love hearing stories of people starting off carrying cans of Coleman fuel and such. Supposedly, great sites like this have cut down on the phenomenon, but what've you witnessed over the years?
Two house cats on leases.

grumpypickle
03-12-2009, 08:42
67.5 lb pack on the approach trail. Dude had a steel hatchet, a circus sized tent, a huge blue tarp, 8lbs of rice, Coleman lantern (with size "D" batteries) and an extra pair of hiking boots dangling from his pack. That's just what I can think of off the top of my head.

To his credit, he carried it without complaint. Trailname was: "Mule". We gave it to him the first night at Black Gap Shelter.

Cannibal, we stayed the 1st night together at Stover last year. Remember the guy named Backwater that showed up? He was carrying three unopened #10 cans of Mountain House. He had a 65lb pack and about 20 days of food.

JukeBox

Doctari
03-12-2009, 08:52
1997, Me: at least 70 Lbs being carried on my first trip :( Not going into all I carried, but I sure wasn't going to be caught unprepared. Partal list: 2 Qt stainless pot, 2 extra coats in March, a 10 x 10 HEAVY DUTY tarp.

1999 NOBO at locust gap just N of N.O.C. Guy with a food bag that had to weigh at least 35 Lbs, maybe alot more. "There is no place to resupply till Hot Springs". He had carried it into NOC, not re-supplied there. I think he filled up the food bag at Rainbow springs. :eek:

2007: Solo hiker Leaving Damascus carrying: 12 cotton tees, 24 Pair of cotton socks, 53 Power Bars (only food for 1 month section hike), 3 person tent - no - an actual "you can really get 3 adult type people in this tent" 3 person tent, paperback version of "The brothers Karamotsov" & some other stuff. By Partnership shelter this list had been paired down alot, & by Atkins she was actually enjoying the trip. :sun

Homer&Marje
03-12-2009, 09:03

I cant take my cats hiking! They are gonna be pissed.

Rockhound
03-12-2009, 09:07
I've seen some crazy things. Hiking poles, water filters, Jet Boils.... Where do these people come from?:rolleyes:

Lilred
03-12-2009, 09:14
LOL I love these kind of threads. Hiked with a girl starting at Springer and she had heard the latest things was Hammocks for backpacking so she brought one. A brazillian hammock, the kind you hang in your backyard. She had no tarp. She had at least a dozen bandanas and enough powdered protien drink mix to last her to fontana. She totally outfitted herself at neel's with the help of Restless going through her pack, spending $500. He sent home 30lbs of crap and introduced her to a drop box. She did make it all the way.

Ran into some guys hiking in the Smokies from Texas that brought fly fishing poles. They had them in tubular cases that stood at least three feet over their heads when strapped to their packs. Always did wonder how they made it through the rhoddie tunnels.

Also ran into a guy that was using a state of the art tent from J.C. Penny's, from 1962. It actually had walls that stood three feet tall.

IceAge
03-12-2009, 09:39
Once there was this girl who
thought camping with a rope hammock
would really make her cool

But when it finally rained out
she
found
her protein powder all soggy.
And sadly all the bandanas in the world
couldn't fix that.

mmm mmm mmm mmm

Jayboflavin04
03-12-2009, 09:55
One of the guys I am hiking with showed me pics of his last trip. I saw them cooking on a coleman stove attached to one of the green 1lb propane canister. I also heard he carries a bevy of assorted knifes. I told him at our first planning meeting that I wanted to be around 30lbs for 5 days. He said he would like to know how I do that.

Serial 07
03-12-2009, 10:00
no kidding...a portable shower that required like 16 D batteries...which he had spares for...

Serial 07
03-12-2009, 10:02
dutch ovens

you said "dutch oven"...:D

Red Hat
03-12-2009, 10:05
Last year in Maine two young guys started out with full military gear. They had at least 100 lbs each. OldMan got them down to about 70 lbs, but they wouldn't leave anything else. They didn't climb K, but started south from Katadin Stream Campground. After losing some gear in a ford, they decided to go home at Abol Bridge.

UnkaJesse
03-12-2009, 10:12
Not on the At, but in the Wind River Range, I saw a family of six about five miles from the nearest trailhead. Now, it was late in the afternoon, so they must have taken about six hours to get that far. Mom, the three girls were packless. I do think the littlest one was carrying her own teddy bear. Dad had his one pack. The rest of the gear was on the teenage son's back. He was loaded down like the Grinch's sleigh. He had his own pack, and three others on his back. Of course, there was a frying pan dangling off the load.

He was obviously suffering, but I think he was approaching it as a challenge. This poor kid had to have had 150 lbs on him.

It took them another three or so hours to make it two miles. I was fly fishing in a lake up the trail when they rolled in and set up the screen house and the cabin tent. Poor kid.

UnkaJesse
03-12-2009, 10:14
you said "dutch oven"...:D
Settle down, Beavis. Don't make me have to smack you.

Valentine
03-12-2009, 10:24
A CASE of Bush Light. I won't admit to that!

Turtlehiker
03-12-2009, 10:33
I saw a guy carry a beer ball up to the pinnicale on the AT in PA. That night I was really glad I talked my buddy into doing that. I did carry his sleeping bag for him.

Cannibal
03-12-2009, 10:39
Cannibal, we stayed the 1st night together at Stover last year. Remember the guy named Backwater that showed up? He was carrying three unopened #10 cans of Mountain House. He had a 65lb pack and about 20 days of food.

JukeBox
Jukebox-
Think I was sitting there with "Bananas" when you walked up. Ha, I had forgotten about the cans that Backwater had with him. Didn't Wasabi get named that night?

IceAge
03-12-2009, 10:46
On a 4 day trip my buddy was carrying seven 20oz gatorade containers, each with a different booze in them. Tequila, dark rum, light rum, whisky, brandy, etc.. Sure was nice drinking them up next to the fire! Thanks Nate!

l0ngterm
03-12-2009, 10:56
Just a side note here, if any of you are willing to carry the cooler, I'll buy the beer. I'm just sayin'......
I'll pitch in for the beer. :sun Man, for some reason when I read this I laughed so hard my sides hurt.

l0ngterm

Pootz
03-12-2009, 11:19
in 03 I saw a guy at the Darlington Shelter in PA with a cross bow. He was from out of state and cabela's would not sell him a gun. Needless to say I did not sleep well that night. Thankfully he was headed south.

In 07 a kid had an alcohol stove and 1 litre of fuel, at least the stove was lite.

08 met a guy on the approach trail with cotton everything, including a huge Coleman sleeping beg.

neighbor dave
03-12-2009, 11:21
saw robert on the pct last year, now that's alot of stuff
http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/download.php?id=217850657_696d80da54&p=406109

Blue Jay
03-12-2009, 11:34
I've seen some crazy things. Hiking poles

Damn, you beat me to it. However with hicking poles, unlike tubas and axes and frying pans you can't put them down and hike on.:eek: Once your knees go you have to keep them forever.

Dogwood
03-12-2009, 11:48
Saw someone on the AT thru-hiking with two sleeping bags, a plastic Coleman cooler full of steaks, and a long handled axe strapped to his pack. Surprisingly, he quit after a couple of hundred miles because he hurt his knees and back. Saw another hiker on the AT with a Coleman double burner stove that must have weighed 3-4 lbs and two full 16 oz bottles of propane. Witnessed a female attempting an AT thru-hike, who earlier had bragged about how light her gear was, empty out the contents of her pack at a shelter. Half her gear, no exaggerating, was toiletries(40 tampons, make-up, hair brush, baby wipes, big bottles of hydrogen peroxide and rubbing alcohol(her light wt cat stove w/ alcohol fuel was separate), 4 pairs of panties, mouthwash, shampoo, seperate soap, and last but not least, a curling iron). Came across a prospective AT thru-hiker, recently returning from fighting in another American war, hauling 40 days of food and an 80 lb pack. He wasn't aware that he could resupply so often along the way. Have seen several solo hikers, again on the AT, hauling 2 and 3 person tents as their only shelters. Saw a hiker on the AT in VA during late May with a full on 2 lb parka. What? I could go on, but I'll stop there.

grumpypickle
03-12-2009, 12:03
Jukebox-
Think I was sitting there with "Bananas" when you walked up. Ha, I had forgotten about the cans that Backwater had with him. Didn't Wasabi get named that night?

You are correct! Good guy. Packed 3lbs of Wasabi peas and didn't say a word all night except "you know, the thing is, I don't like Wasabi peas." you can't make this stuff up.

I hiked with him until Franklin. I think he got off at Fontana.

barefoot
03-12-2009, 12:13
Hiked with a guy who had a socket set in his pack. We had him chuck it half way up Snowbird mountain.

Cannibal
03-12-2009, 12:16
You are correct! Good guy. Packed 3lbs of Wasabi peas and didn't say a word all night except "you know, the thing is, I don't like Wasabi peas." you can't make this stuff up.

I hiked with him until Franklin. I think he got off at Fontana.
I ran into him again in Hot Springs. He took some time off to reassure his wife who was very anxious with him being away. Pretty sure he finished. Was kind of funny that he was carrying all those peas just to give them away.:D

atsent
03-12-2009, 12:20
a TUB of "monkey-butt powder" yes, a tub.

atsent
03-12-2009, 12:34
PS- we convinced him to send his "extra" stuff home at Neel's Gap, but he didn't get away before earning the trailname "Monkeybutt."

Lilred
03-12-2009, 12:53
Hiked with a guy who had a socket set in his pack. We had him chuck it half way up Snowbird mountain.

Surely you didn't talk him into leaving it as litter along the trail???

gearfreak
03-12-2009, 12:53
My buddy and I stopped for water at Low Gap Shelter, GA mid-afternoon last April. A hiker dressed in blue jeans and a long sleeve cotton t-shirt was there, as were two other young bucks. Gear was spread everywhere and we assumed all three were set up and done for the day. When the two younger guys left, all the gear was still spread out. This guy had more stuff than you could imagine - portable DVD and movie selection, portable CD player, large supply of SPAM and a 5 lb. bucket of peanut butter just for starters. We quickly dubbed him "Nightwalker" as he indicated that he liked to hike at night and have the shelters to himself during the day. He suggested that local Boy Scout troops should get on the trail and clear it of any loose or protruding rock as a community service project. To his credit, he was attempting to lighten what he estimated to be a 70 lb. load - by trimming the handle off his toothbrush with a 14" Bowie knife! :eek: Did see him again the next day at Blue Mountain Shelter but never again.

Gray Blazer
03-12-2009, 12:58
Wait till you guys see me on the trail. Then you'll really have some stories. I don't see how people can carry so much stuff. After I put my sleeping bag, pillow and teddy bear in the pack there's not much room left.

4eyedbuzzard
03-12-2009, 13:00

Surely you didn't talk him into leaving it as litter along the trail???

I think this guy found them. He and Clyde are scrappin' Caddies for a living.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/00793/Bear-hubcap-460_793498c.jpg

Pootz
03-12-2009, 14:09
I forgot to mention the food bag I carried on my first 40 mile trip on the AT. I carried my old gym bag from high School. Older WB people will remember the one, plastic, big handle and a wooded bottom. Thing must have weighed 3 pounds by itself. Inside I had my food all seperated in additional bags for breakfast, lunch and dinner. my pack was atleast 50 pounds.

Feral Bill
03-12-2009, 20:14

You can rent house cats?:rolleyes:

Doctari
03-12-2009, 20:26
Not on the AT, but a story with a happy ending:

Coffee & I took my work partner Matt on an overnighter to a Ohio State park, Among other stuff, he had a HUGE knife. At 6' tall this knife still reached to his knee & above his waist, it had an attached tether at near the tip to tie to his leg to reduce "flapping". Attached to the knife, was a saw blade & other attachements. Did I mention it was knife #1 of 3, well, he only admited to 3, but I think he didn't count his multi tool as a knife. At 21 years older & in poorer shape, I was smoking him on the hills he was carrying so much "Crap" (likely as much as Coffee AND I were carrying combined).

We worked a 24 hr shift the following day, he was oddly quiet about the trip, so I let it go.

48 hrs off.

0600 AM, I'm sitting at work doing paperwork, in comes Matt, sets his pack down in front of me & says: "I took all the weight off I could on my own, FIX ME!" I was so proud!

His base weight is now under 20 Lbs. He sold The KNIFE & now carries a single knife. Suffice it to say that now he smokes me on the hills, which is as it should be. :D

SGT Rock
03-12-2009, 20:43
I didn't see him at Springer, but heard about him. In 2007 he carried a pack and a duffle bag. He would take one a couple of miles and set it down and then go back and get the other. The story went that he made it all the way to Neels gap and unloaded enough stuff to be able to carry the bag and the pack at the same time.

In 2008 I ran into the guy. Still had about a 60 pound pack, a gym bag type duffle, and another bag. He carried the large pack on his back, the duffle on one side, and the other bag (military thing I couldn't ID) on the other. He said he made it all the way to Daleville in 2007 before his wife made him quit. He went back and worked it out with her and was hiking again in 08 starting at Springer again and everything. His name was Tobasco (not the same one here). He mentioned he might lighten up a little this year when he hit Daleville. I saw him north of Daleville - he had gotten a slightly smaller gym bag.

This time he made it about 1700 miles, but I don't know what caused him to leave. But Tipi Walter has nothing on Tobasco07/08. That guy carries mega loads and makes lots of miles.

And he is a former Marine. Cool guy.

Doctari
03-12-2009, 23:00
OK, after a few posts of guys making multiple trips back & forth for bags & stuff, I am reminded that:
A few years ago (I think on trailplace, may have been here) I posted a joke about a guy "Pure hiker" that was going to hike the AT & never leave, not even to resupply, starting at Springer with ALL of his food & stuff, I think it was 12 bags in all, average weight 50 Lbs. :p

I never in a million years thought anyone would actually do anything even remotely similar. :eek: I'm impressed,, I think! :-?

JERMM
03-12-2009, 23:35

This was the guy

Kerby
03-13-2009, 00:04
About 4 years ago I was helping lead about 30 teens on a 3 day romp through Dolly Sods in WV. Halfway through day 2, noticed a young lady carrying nothing but her purse and sleeping bag. "Traveling light?" I quipped. She proceeded to explain that she had talked all the guys into caring everything else in exchange for doing all the cooking.

So, the guys humped her gear, and she boiled water. Smart girl.

tuswm
03-13-2009, 01:00
This wasn't the AT but it was a 100 miles with no resupplies in canyonlands. I was leading a group of ten including 6 first time backpackers. A small girl in my group took a huge camera bag, a change of clothes for every day, and even school books to study. by day two we had split up her stuff. what was more amazing was the stuff she was not carrying like a water filter, a tent, a stove, fuel, pots or pans, or THE BACK UP TRAIL MAP I MADE HER BUY AT THE RANGER OFFICE!

UnkaJesse
03-13-2009, 10:23
About 4 years ago I was helping lead about 30 teens on a 3 day romp through Dolly Sods in WV. Halfway through day 2, noticed a young lady carrying nothing but her purse and sleeping bag. "Traveling light?" I quipped. She proceeded to explain that she had talked all the guys into caring everything else in exchange for doing all the cooking.

So, the guys humped her gear, and she boiled water. Smart girl.

This is my strategy for coffee. I have the Press-bot system that fits in a Nalgene, which I'd carry anyway. I always make a deal with my hiking partners that if they'll carry the coffee, I'll carry the French press. I've never had anyone decline that offer.

Coffee for a weekend for four javaheads is about 1.5 pounds. (Yes, I like it strong!)
Press-bot weighs about 1.5 ounces, not counting the Nalgene, which again I'd carry anyway.

That first cup of the first morning is always the best as they they realize they've been had by the Jedi mind trick.

saimyoji
03-13-2009, 13:18
Wait till you guys see me on the trail. Then you'll really have some stories. I don't see how people can carry so much stuff. After I put my sleeping bag, pillow and teddy bear in the pack there's not much room left.

no room for blankey? :mad:

Gray Blazer
03-13-2009, 13:22
no room for blankey? :mad:

I had to make a choice between Blankey and Footies. Guess who won?

lucky luke
03-13-2009, 17:03
hi,

in february ´85 i met a guy 3 days north of delaware watergap who carried 5 filled, frozen nalgene bottles. one quart each, plus food for about 14 days. he had a big oversize blue tarp, and all gear that you need. we ended up hiking those 3 days together, i carried his food and got to keep it after dwg.

in ´98 my wife carried 3 fat paperback-books starting out from kathadin.

happy trails
lucky luke

puddingboy
03-13-2009, 17:08
A 6-pack of bottled water.

On our first backpacking trip my dad insisted on bringing a 12 pack of bottled water, I told him he had to drink it all and I would use my purification tablets. He ended up having me and my uncle chug them so he wouldn't have to carry the weight.

turtle fast
03-13-2009, 17:10
In 08' a hiker named Kitchen Sink had one of those industrial size containers of peanut butter.

puddingboy
03-13-2009, 17:14
Also bag of charcoal and me my dad and my uncle carried a 15 lb tent between us on our first backpacking trip.

Monkeywrench
03-13-2009, 17:34

You can lease cats? Now there's a business opportunity I hadn't thought of!

Summit
03-13-2009, 20:16
Damn, you beat me to it. However with hicking poles, unlike tubas and axes and frying pans you can't put them down and hike on.:eek: Once your knees go you have to keep them forever.Leave it to Rockhound and BJ to introduce products that a lot of veteran hikers with 10s of thousands of miles of experience use, and clearly do not belong in this thread. You two probably collect royalties from the movie "Dumb and Dumber" don't you? :D :p

BigCat
03-13-2009, 20:36
What about that guy in 2006 who had three duffel bags and would walk about 100 yards up the trail leave the bag, return for another, etc? Told me he was hiking to Canada and then all the way across to Washington State. Think he got kicked off the trail by the Forest Service for setting fires in downed trees...

I saw him just north of Neels in late April (2006).

GMTMinusFive
03-13-2009, 21:28
This thread is worthless without (more) pictures.

Summit
03-13-2009, 21:38
This thread is worthless without (more) pictures.I doubt pictures would make it any less worthless! :p

NashvilleBiscuit
03-13-2009, 21:51
On one of my first Boy Scout hiking trips we hiked a little of the AT in North Carolina. One of the kids in my troop brought along a rug to place in front of his tent and a badminton racket to beat the dirt out of it.

Tin Man
03-13-2009, 22:51
in '03, i met a guy in vt doing big miles daily who was hiking the IAT from canada, AT thru springer, and continuing to key west with the smallest pack i have ever seen. i was very surprised when out of that tiny pack he pulled a water filter pump.

Wags
03-13-2009, 23:42
Leave it to Rockhound and BJ to introduce products that a lot of veteran hikers with 10s of thousands of miles of experience use, and clearly do not belong in this thread. You two probably collect royalties from the movie "Dumb and Dumber" don't you? :D :p

god summit, lighten up. you don't have to take life so seriously

Tin Man
03-13-2009, 23:45
god summit, lighten up. you don't have to take life so seriously

one learns who to ignore as i am sure many do me

Pokey2006
03-14-2009, 00:45
I've been enjoying this thread, and finally thought of one to add. It wasn't at the start of the AT, more like Watauga Lake, two days before Damascus.

I was rejoined by some friends who had been at Trail Days while I was hiking, and we all camped together beside the lake. One of them pulls out an ENORMOUS food bag. Turns out, he has 20 pounds of carrots in the bag. He bought them in Damascus during Trail Days, with plans to feed them to the ponies in Grayson Highlands -- AFTER going through Damascus again. He could have just bought the carrots the second time through town! Great guy, but the rest of us just had to rag on him a bit for that one. It was really funny watching him trying to hang that bag in a tree for the night.

Homer&Marje
03-14-2009, 07:14
I wanna know why it is that I can go out on a 5-7 day trip with a 23-27 lb pack with everything I need.

And when I go on an overnight my pack weighs 21 lbs. Boggles me.

Tin Man
03-14-2009, 07:58
I wanna know why it is that I can go out on a 5-7 day trip with a 23-27 lb pack with everything I need.

not surprising :rolleyes:

Blue Jay
03-14-2009, 08:10
You two probably collect royalties from the movie "Dumb and Dumber" don't you? :D :p

That's so original, did you think that one up yourself. Actually I get royalties from "The Last Temptation of Trecking Poles".:banana

saimyoji
03-14-2009, 08:13

don't mind Tin Man....he's just smarter than all of us.

I think your pack weight is higher because of conservation of energy. the further you hike, the more energy you use to carry your stuff. if you hike shorter distance, you need to carry more stuff to make up for it.

:p

Tin Man
03-14-2009, 08:26
it's probably the booze to days out coefficient factor... the fewer days, the less rationing/more inebriation probability

Summit
03-14-2009, 09:08
god summit, lighten up. you don't have to take life so seriouslyI always keep in mind the new, inexperienced wanna be backpackers who do a lot of reading on WB. So when I see statements that go beyond personal preference (nothing at all wrong with that) to down right wrong, I will speak up every time.

So in this instance we're all having a little fun with what we've seen people carrying, and along comes Rockhound, echoed by BJ, stating that three products, used by a lot of veteran hikers with a lot more mileage and experience under their belts than these guys, are 'crazy' to carry. That's mis-information to newbies and I will call it to attention every time I see it. I am completely 'lightened up' in doing so! :)

Summit
03-14-2009, 09:33
That's so original, did you think that one up yourself. Actually I get royalties from "The Last Temptation of Trecking Poles".:bananaThat's good. You got me on that one! But as in the movie (and reality) where Christ overcame sin, maybe you should overcome your fear of trekking poles phobia! ;)

Tin Man
03-14-2009, 09:38
I always keep in mind the new, inexperienced wanna be backpackers who do a lot of reading on WB.

curious, how many miles is experienced? and how many you got?

Summit
03-14-2009, 10:17
To your first question, since people become trail-wise at different learning/retention rates, there is no magic number of miles to achieve 'experience.'

While I do not claim to be anywhere near the most experienced hiker on WB, I have been backpacking 35 years and I lost count of how many miles after about 5,000, and that was years ago. Although job and family have never permitted me to work in a 'thru,' I have hiked numerous mutli-hundred mile hikes of two, three, four weeks in duration. So while I'm not even in the same league as some folks here who've done the AT thru umpteen times, or the triple-crown, I do feel experienced enough to render advice/opinions on non-thru specific questions. I try to avoid giving advice where I do not have experience.

Manwich
03-14-2009, 10:20
To your first question, since people become trail-wise at different learning/retention rates, there is no magic number of miles to achieve 'experience.'

While I do not claim to be anywhere near the most experienced hiker on WB, I have been backpacking 35 years and I lost count of how many miles after about 5,000, and that was years ago. Although job and family have never permitted me to work in a 'thru,' I have hiked numerous mutli-hundred mile hikes of two, three, four weeks in duration. So while I'm not even in the same league as some folks here who've done the AT thru umpteen times, or the triple-crown, I do feel experienced enough to render advice/opinions on non-thru specific questions. I try to avoid giving advice where I do not have experience.

As a newbie, I consider Summits posts to be helpful and insightful. Thank you summit.

UnkaJesse
03-14-2009, 10:27
Can we just get back to baggin' on the n00bs?

Tin Man
03-14-2009, 10:31
Can we just get back to baggin' on the n00bs?

okay, what worthless crap are you carrying? :)

UnkaJesse
03-14-2009, 10:35
okay, what worthless crap are you carrying? :)
http://www.iosss.com/shopping/images/hd80172.jpg

Ekul
03-14-2009, 10:36
On one of my first Boy Scout hiking trips we hiked a little of the AT in North Carolina. One of the kids in my troop brought along a rug to place in front of his tent and a badminton racket to beat the dirt out of it.

lol "be prepared" :D

Summit
03-14-2009, 10:37
I carried a white quartz, laced with mica, rock I found on top of Standing Indian Mtn weighing a couple of pounds about 30 miles (as a present to my baby boy) many years ago! :)

Summit
03-14-2009, 10:38
http://www.iosss.com/shopping/images/hd80172.jpgSo did you carry all of these items, or the tent, the bag, or the girl? :eek: :D

Think Spring
03-14-2009, 10:49
Spring of '07 someone was at the parking lot of the forest service access road a bit north of Springer with a two wheeled cart and gear packed in plastic boxes. It was reported that they intended to do a NOBO with this rig, and that they had traveled the access trail to Springer and on to the parking area with it.:-?

Homer&Marje
03-14-2009, 11:52
it's probably the booze to days out coefficient factor... the fewer days, the less rationing/more inebriation probability

That's definitely the issue. If I am going out for an overnight you can bring something nice with you and it will usually get consumed. Longer trips we drink a lot less simply for the reverb morning factor. Last thing you want on the summit is a hangover.

Stupidest thing I ever carried with me was a metal campfire grate. We all know the one that has the two sides attached by a hinge with a metal ring to hold it closed. I thought it would make a good edition to my already 45 lb pack since it was only, in my famous words, "about a pound" "sounds about right" "Strap it to the back of the pack":D

I left it at a shelter with a large fire pit. As far as I know it still hangs on the wall and gets used to this day.

vonfrick
03-14-2009, 12:00
That's good. You got me on that one! But as in the movie (and reality) where Christ overcame sin, maybe you should overcome your fear of trekking poles phobia! ;)

i'd like to point, as a service to newcomers here, that this is not a preachy christian website

Summit
03-14-2009, 12:12
i'd like to point, as a service to newcomers here, that this is not a preachy christian websiteWhich I wasn't doing . . . just merely referencing another's use of a Christian movie title along with an analogy. I should also point out to newcomers that WB has its share of members who are overly sensitive and intolerant of any mention or hint of a person's faith. They are small in number but loud in voice. :)

Roots
03-14-2009, 12:13
It's Sunday?????

Summit
03-14-2009, 12:16
It's Sunday?????Nope, but I'm not a one-day-a-week-Christian!

Jayboflavin04
03-14-2009, 12:18
For me "non-religious". I dont care what color race or religion you are....Just dont be an ***hole......No reference to you summit, just my point of view. That is the last you'll hear it.

Walessp
03-14-2009, 15:25
Not a Sighting - Just a Report

Certainly not the worst, but probably one of the strangest items carried, was the report of a man with a large wooden cross with a wheel on the bottom. It may be the AT equivalent of an urban legend...

Outlaw

Lilred
03-14-2009, 17:55
What about that guy in 2006 who had three duffel bags and would walk about 100 yards up the trail leave the bag, return for another, etc? Told me he was hiking to Canada and then all the way across to Washington State. Think he got kicked off the trail by the Forest Service for setting fires in downed trees...

I saw him just north of Neels in late April (2006).

He was setting fires right smack dab in the middle of the trail if I remember correctly. This, during the drought and fire ban.

Buckles
03-14-2009, 19:06
A few years back, while day hiking Blood Mtn., saw a NOBO heading towards Neel's Gap with snorkeling gear. Mask, snorkel and flippers. And, no, I didn't ask.

Just Plain Jim
03-14-2009, 21:44
I did meet a couple of young guys up in the SNP with a 5 lb skillet. I did'nt laugh until they pulled out a 3 lb summer sausage to cook for supper. They could'nt get a fire started so I voluntered to throw in a couple of Esbit tabs for some of that sausage. :D It sure was good.

Big Dawg
03-14-2009, 23:09
OK, I'll have to chime in and tell on myself. October/2000, starting 1st section hike from Springer w/ an 85# pack.:eek: Partial list: Eureka K2 XT tent (11 lbs) & yes, the tent was just for me:o, portable CD player w/ at least 2 dozen CD's, at least 25 lbs of food, Thermarest LE Camprest w/ full cover sleeve seat/lounger, Slumberjack 0 degree heavy-a$$ sleeping bag,,,,, I think I've embarrassed myself enough. Funny story.... shortly after embarking on this particular hike (w/ said massive pack), my friend & I came across a SOBO thru-hiker w/ what seemed like a 10 lb pack, wearing Teva's. The look on his face was priceless. He uttered a few quips of wisdom, and, needless to say, we learned a valuable lesson that day.:D

BobTheBuilder
03-14-2009, 23:21
Three section hikers at Hawk Mountain Shelter, December '05. SIX full rolls of toilet paper on a broom stick holder, three multi-D-cell cop flashlights, and Gameboys, among other stuff. They were really proud of the TP, showing everyone how they had it stacked on the broom stick. They had been hung up for a couple of days because they got too tired between Springer and Hawk and were asking NOBOs for help carrying the stuff to their car at the next road crossing.

Pokey2006
03-15-2009, 00:34
This thread is making me want to do some hiking in Georgia this spring, just so I can get a good laugh and have some stories to tell!

Tin Man
03-15-2009, 00:46
This thread is making me want to do some hiking in Georgia this spring, just so I can get a good laugh and have some stories to tell!

take a video camera and try not to make stuff up... not that anyone made any of this up :rolleyes:

Wags
03-15-2009, 01:26
summit i understand your point. however if a person couldn't tell that this wasn't a serious thread then well. everyone was just joking around, including the guy about those 3 things, whatever they were. then you went and got all joe serious and started talking about god.

i was enjoying checking this thread for some funny stuff and to get a little laugh and you were a buzzkill. and please keep the religion stuff in the appropriate forums. there are some here who may be offended by your dogma

Tin Man
03-15-2009, 01:39
summit i understand your point. however if a person couldn't tell that this wasn't a serious thread then well. everyone was just joking around, including the guy about those 3 things, whatever they were. then you went and got all joe serious and started talking about god.

i was enjoying checking this thread for some funny stuff and to get a little laugh and you were a buzzkill. and please keep the religion stuff in the appropriate forums. there are some here who may be offended by your dogma

amen... :)

camojack
03-15-2009, 04:18
From what I hear, somebody started the A.T. this year with a POS motorhome for a support vehicle... :eek:

Tin Man
03-15-2009, 04:39
From what I hear, some POS started the A.T. this year with a busted motorhome for a support vehicle... :eek:

i heard that too

Summit
03-15-2009, 11:04

i was enjoying checking this thread for some funny stuff and to get a little laugh and you were a buzzkill. and please keep the religion stuff in the appropriate forums. there are some here who may be offended by your dogmaAs I said, with as little 'religiosity' as possible, I turned BJ's pun on 'The Last Temptation of (Christ) Trekking Poles' into an analogy. He was the one who introduced a Christian-based movie title into the discussion, and I wasn't offened. I thought it rather funny. If my little innocent one-liner was a 'buzzkill' for you, quit snivelling and man-up!

I'm sick and tired of you anti-religious minority few demanding that not the slightest hint of one's faith be mentioned, yet you think it's perfectly OK to infect everyone with some very crude words and discussions about sex, drug abuse, flaunting breaking laws, etc., without regard to who may be offended. It seems that faith based statements are the only words that offend . . . anything else goes (with a very small, vocal minority of members).

Summit
03-15-2009, 11:05
amen... :)I don't appreciate your 'dogma!' :D

Tin Man
03-15-2009, 11:11
I don't appreciate your 'dogma!' :D

religion and politics don't belong on the trail, around a campfire or on WB. take that back to your god and keep it off here. ty

Wags
03-15-2009, 11:12
it was more than your little 1 liner that was the buzzkill. it was pretty much every thing you've said in here. like i said, it was light and funny and you tried to turn it all serious.

i didn't say i was anti-religious. i just said i don't want to hear about yours in a thread about worst item carried on a backpacking website.

randyg45
03-15-2009, 11:27
One opinion. And, in my opinion, a minority one.

Summit
03-15-2009, 11:42
Wags,

I responded to BJ's bringing it up, and if it weren't for you and others, there would have been one single post with a slight hint of religion. We had moved on until you brought it back up again. So you are the guilty one for not just letting what everyone else had let go . . . go.

I will not be intimidated by you or anyone never to elude to my faith. Just like you and most others, what you are passionate about is woven into what you say and talk about. I live and breath my faith in God and inferences to that are part of my natural conversation, just as what you are passionate about is with yours. That's not to say I have any desire to have faith discussions on WB. IT IS NOT THE RIGHT PLACE. But I will not censor natural religious references in discussions because 1/10 of WB members are 'offended.' I have a thick enough skin to put up with a lot of the crude, vulgar things that seem to crop up on page 4 or 5 of nearly every thread on WB, so the anti-religious need to thicken their skins too. It is unrealistic to expect people passionate about their faith to completely subdue ever speaking of it. Just skip over it as I do the vulgar, crude stuff.

4eyedbuzzard
03-15-2009, 11:43
People, I just want to say, you know, can we all get along? Can we get along? Can we stop making it, making it horrible?...It’s not, it’s not going to change anything... - Rodney King

McKeever
03-15-2009, 11:48
religion and politics don't belong on the trail, around a campfire or on WB. take that back to your god and keep it off here. ty

You no right to limit free speech, political, or religious freedom as a tyrant would, here, or anywhere else. Perhaps you need to move on.

High Life
03-15-2009, 11:51
my friend fiesta picked up a amateur compound bow and some arrows and carried that for a while , i picked up a piece of a cows pelvis and carried that on my pack ..

Tin Man
03-15-2009, 11:57
You no right to limit free speech, political, or religious freedom as a tyrant would, here, or anywhere else. Perhaps you need to move on.

sorry politics is already banned here and religious discussions are generally discouraged. as far as on the trail goes, i said religion and politics don't belong, like they don't belong on the job, at a party or anywhere you want to keep it friendly and be respected. but you go ahead if it makes you feel good.

Homer&Marje
03-15-2009, 12:00
Wow. Good thread hijacked again. Happens all the time,we should be used to it. For reference I "am" anti-religious and was no where near offended by your comment Summit.

Lay off him people, you don't get more anti religious than me and your jumping down the guys throat for a silly analogy. It's like a lynch mob sometimes.

Anyone got good stories of funny camp/hiking clothes people were wearing?

I know on my romp through the Berkshires I came into Dalton wearing white thermal long underwear rolled up to the knee of course due to mid morning heat, a pear of black nylon shorts with red waist band over those...hiking boots of course with grey wool socks. No gaitors thank god. I had I think a blue v neck t shirt on with a white and pink bandanna tied around my forehead. Add the purple pack that was on my back and I was probably a sore sight:D

Summit
03-15-2009, 12:03
religion and politics don't belong on the trail, around a campfire . . .I, and most others would completely disagree with that. A thread about religious experiences on the trail would completely disagree with that . . . not all, but many find the trail a great place to exercise their faith as well as their bodies. Read my last post about the 'WB' part of your statement. As for your demand to take it back to God, who the horse hockey are you? :eek: :(

Tin Man
03-15-2009, 12:05
apparently, you will never get it... i'm moving on... feel free to whine one

Summit
03-15-2009, 12:07
apparently, you will never get it... i'm moving on... feel free to whine onesnivel snivel . . .

Summit
03-15-2009, 12:10
BTW, the thread about religious experiences on the trail was by and large respected and not hijacked by WB'ers who hate religion, and for that I thank you.

Now, if folks will quit using me to hijack this thread that started out funny, I'll do the same. ;)

Hooch
03-15-2009, 12:13
Anyone got good stories of funny camp/hiking clothes people were wearing?

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. So here's a story:

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo188/HoochNC/Miscellaneous/P1000565.jpg

'Nuff said.

UnkaJesse
03-15-2009, 12:13
http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/images/gallery/chris-crocker-cries.jpg

My God, enough already!

oops!

Summit
03-15-2009, 12:14
Wow. Good thread hijacked again. Happens all the time,we should be used to it. For reference I "am" anti-religious and was no where near offended by your comment Summit.

Lay off him people, you don't get more anti religious than me and your jumping down the guys throat for a silly analogy. It's like a lynch mob sometimes.I appreciate your 20/20 vision! :)

sticks&stones
03-15-2009, 12:23
a 5 gallon bar-b-q propane tank, a considerably large boombox, a couple who both had laptops, a disguarded bicycle, a solo hiker w/ six 1 liter nalgenes filled w PB, jelly, syrup, olive oil, pancake batter, and sugar. a hiker w speakers built into his backpack (that was actually pretty cool).

knicksin2010
03-15-2009, 12:31
Last year in Maine two young guys started out with full military gear. They had at least 100 lbs each. OldMan got them down to about 70 lbs, but they wouldn't leave anything else. They didn't climb K, but started south from Katadin Stream Campground. After losing some gear in a ford, they decided to go home at Abol Bridge. I second this. Didn't they have flak jackets?

vonfrick
03-15-2009, 12:32
It's Sunday?????

i love you

High Life
03-15-2009, 12:36
oh man, GOOD THREAD RUINED BY CRAP .. bummer :(

Alligator
03-15-2009, 13:40
Can we just get back to baggin' on the n00bs?Did you say noobs or

http://www.iosss.com/shopping/images/hd80172.jpg

So did you carry all of these items, or the tent, the bag, or the girl? :eek: :DHe was clearly carrying a woman in the rain:-?, what tent and bag:confused:.

This thread is making me want to do some hiking in Georgia this spring, just so I can get a good laugh and have some stories to tell!I think I may be going southbound in a couple weeks, so maybe I will get some additions. My first time on the AT I had a metal case for my PEAK 1, one of those army stools--well they were sold in the Army-Navy Store--and a shower. I wasn't in GA though, it was NJ, hope I'm not hijacking here;).

Anyone else have any interesting items spotted in GA?

UnkaJesse
03-15-2009, 14:13
I might run up to Neels Gap next weekend with a lawn gnome on my pack wearing nothing but a banana hammock and see if get mentioned here.....

Summit
03-15-2009, 15:09
I might run up to Neels Gap next weekend with a lawn gnome on my pack wearing nothing but a banana hammock and see if get mentioned here..... TMI . . . made me shudder! :eek: :p

tom_alan
03-15-2009, 22:34

Just about a week or two ago we had one of our own rushed to a hospital after a heart attach. The man has not shown much faith on WB but there was a request for prayers that went out for him. It is my belief that without that “prayer chain” he would not be here today. I truly believe that anywhere there is man than there is room for faith. I will not “dog” anybody that doesn’t believe the same way that I do and I expect the same in return. From what I see here you all need to back off of summit. He was just making a comparison for a visual effect.

Now as for the thread, two of us were just coming down Barr’s Trail that leads up to the summit of Pikes Peak (14,110ft). We spent the night at 12,000ft in an a-frame and woke the next morning with snow above us, sleet where we were and rain below us. We hiked in and out of rain most of the day. It was around 4:00pm as we got down to the trailhead. Just before we got there we talked to two guys and a girl. Our best guess was that the girl had the lightest pack that we estimated to be 30 lbs. We suspected the guy that did most of the talking was her boyfriend. We estimated his pack to be around 85 lbs. The other guy looked like he was carrying 50 lbs. All of their packs looked brand new and were stuffed to the hilt. We on the other hand were only carrying around 25 lbs loads.

The trail starts out at 6,700ft and in the first 3.5 miles you gain nearly 2,500ft. From there you gain another 1,000ft in two miles to Barr’s Camp at around 10,200ft. In the next 3.5 miles you gain another 1,800ft to get to the a-frame (we didn’t pack a tent ~ we knew we wouldn’t need one). The trail is rough and rocky and most people only average around 1 to 1.5 miles per hour going up. Well these three were all sure that they would be at the a-frame by nightfall (about 6:30). We didn’t want to burst their bubble but we knew they wouldn’t be at Barr’s Camp by nightfall (bet the guy and girl split up after that one).

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/8/7/6/6/hpim1261.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=28376&original=1&c=member&orderby=dateline&direction=DESC&imageuser=18766&cutoffdate=-1)
Barr's Camp

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/8/7/6/6/100_1302.jpg
A-Frame @ 12,000ft

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/8/7/6/6/100_1304.jpg
A view looking out of the A-Frame before we headed down.

Summit
03-15-2009, 22:47
Thanks for the pics Tom. I did the Barr Trail to Pike's Peak summit in 1975. In those days there was nothing but trail . . . only signs after leaving the trailhead. I probably camped somewhere near the A-frame as my camp was near tree line also.

River Runner
03-15-2009, 23:03
I was testing a pack once, and wanted to throw in a little weight just to see how it handled it, so I decided to take something frivolous. I took an inflatable foot tub, some foot soak, foot scrub, and lotion. I had a lot of fun that evening watching every one else's face in the group when I pulled that stuff out and had a mini-spa treatment!

tom_alan
03-15-2009, 23:07
Thanks for the pics Tom. I did the Barr Trail to Pike's Peak summit in 1975. In those days there was nothing but trail . . . only signs after leaving the trailhead. I probably camped somewhere near the A-frame as my camp was near tree line also.

We got up at 6:00 am to go to the summit and we had about 30 yards of visability. We3nt back to bed for a long while than headed down. We stopped in at Barr's Camp to warm up and get some left-over pancakes. We were told that the road to the top got closed due to ice and snow. That mountain will be there for another day.

"Getting up is optionial, getting back down is mandatory" ~ Steady Ed Viesturs

tom_alan
03-15-2009, 23:09
Lmbo :d:d:d:d:d

Christus Cowboy
03-16-2009, 00:27
I'm sorry guys but I have wade into this one...moderators please feel free to remove my post if you find it necessary but I feel that some context and perspective would be helpful....

As a newbie, I consider Summit's posts to be helpful and insightful. Thank you summit.

I'm with you on this one Totem... If you check out Summit's profile and look at the totality of his posts I think most objective inquiries would support your observation.

i'd like to point, as a service to newcomers here, that this is not a preachy christian website

Ironically, I agree with VonFrick's statement even though I'm probably making a conscious effort to overlook the point that is trying to be made here.... WB is not a preachy christian website, though people of faith (myself included), along with a wide diversity of others freely engage in the discourse along with everyone else. So as a service to our newcomers if you search the tens of thousands of posts on WB I think you will find the posts that even reference politics, God, religion, faith, or any other related topic are a microscopic percentage of the overall volume of discussion that takes place here. Yet what concerns me here is the few times such issues are even mentioned, alluded to, or even referenced, then sometimes we see a viceral reaction followed by calls to remove such references by those who claim to be doing so in the name of tolerance, etc.... So to our newcomers I would like to say come on in the water's warm there's alot of great stuff here on WB, alot of different perspectives here, and diversity of opinions as well...

summit i understand your point. however if a person couldn't tell that this wasn't a serious thread then well. everyone was just joking around, including the guy about those 3 things, whatever they were. then you went and got all joe serious and started talking about god. i was enjoying checking this thread for some funny stuff and to get a little laugh and you were a buzzkill. and please keep the religion stuff in the appropriate forums. there are some here who may be offended by your dogma

Wags..I appreciate the attempt to understand the point here but in your attempt to understand I believe you may have missed the point.... From my vantage point, it is quite common for humorous threads to get serious at times and serious threads take a less than serious tone...this happens on many threads at WB.... I'm not sure what buzzkill means so please pardon my ignorance here but dogma is a term (from Wikipedia)....derived from the Greek word δόγμα which is rendered "that which seems to one, opinion or belief" and that from δοκέω, which means "to think, to suppose, to imagine". Isn't that what discussion threads are for? In terms of "offending" could it not be argued that your reference to "religion stuff" is marginalizing for people who consider faith an important part of their lives? I'm not trying to get into a hypersensitivity contest nor am I trying to be "more offended" than the next person.. I just wanted to ask some questions to get people to think.... Rather than viewing faith, God, religion, etc. as some disease that should be erradicated, or viewing the word God as the source of a negative reaction, maybe we need to ask ourselves why we so quickly want to rid ourselves of such references when other references which cause a coarsening affect on our culture seem to be given a much higher level of tolerance.

As I said, with as little 'religiosity' as possible, I turned BJ's pun on 'The Last Temptation of (Christ) Trekking Poles' into an analogy. He was the one who introduced a Christian-based movie title into the discussion, and I wasn't offended. I thought it rather funny. If my little innocent one-liner was a 'buzzkill' for you, quit snivelling and man-up!

...just merely referencing another's use of a Christian movie title along with an analogy. I should also point out to newcomers that WB has its share of members who are overly sensitive and intolerant of any mention or hint of a person's faith. They are small in number but loud in voice.

It was clear to me that Bluejay was merely taking a humorous jab at Summit by using the issue of faith as a backdrop... I'll have to give Bluejay some points here for creativity as well as knowing the person he was directing the pun toward.... It just appears to me that Bluejay knows Summit well enough to make the joke to begin with and Summit knows Bluejay well enough to acknowledge the creativity by filling in the blanks of the pun... Ironically it seems like to the two individuals involved here where not even the ones who were originally "offended"....

I can't agree with you more here McKeever.... I've read countless threads on WB and the diversity of opinions expressed is a testament to the free speech we have in this country. I would like to add though that since WB is a website with a user agreement in effect, moderators are empowered to regulate the various discussion threads and they have a tough job. I certainly wouldn't want to be a moderator... Moderating is imperfect science that comes with the territory.

I, and most others would completely disagree with that. A thread about religious experiences on the trail would completely disagree with that . . . not all, but many find the trail a great place to exercise their faith as well as their bodies. Read my last post about the 'WB' part of your statement. As for your demand to take it back to God, who the horse hockey are you?

I believe the thread that Summit is referring to can be found here....

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43358

While it is pretty clear that many who participated on this thread won't agree with the faith perspective of many of the thoughts on this thread, the fact remains that atleast on this thread people from many different backgrounds (Atheists, Buddists, Christians, Agnostics, etc.) discussed this very topic and for the most part were pretty civil.... for those who haven't read this thread you may find that it runs contrary to some of the assertions found on this thread.....

Pokey2006
03-16-2009, 00:39
Can't have nothin' nice around here.

Big Dawg
03-16-2009, 07:48
this is... religulous.....

just a little reminder...:rolleyes:

" What's the worst item you've seen a hiker start the AT with?"

Tin Man
03-16-2009, 07:54

Homer&Marje
03-16-2009, 07:56
Priceless. I don't have some shots of my more memorable outfits...some I do....and they have been shared :-? enough...:D

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. So here's a story:

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo188/HoochNC/Miscellaneous/P1000565.jpg

'Nuff said.

sheepdog
03-16-2009, 08:11
Summit has tried to drop the "religeous" debate several times. Why don't you anti free speech types just let it go. We now continue with our light, fun thred.

Wags
03-16-2009, 11:39
someone owns this site, making it a business. freedom of speech does not apply here. please learn the law before throwing it into people's faces. thank you

saimyoji
03-16-2009, 11:44
Okay, so I met this one guy carrying a life-size cut-out of Britney Spears on the trail. I don't think he was a LD hiker though. Was pretty funny.

sheepdog
03-16-2009, 11:59
someone owns this site, making it a business. freedom of speech does not apply here. please learn the law before throwing it into people's faces. thank you
Let it go dude

McKeever
03-16-2009, 12:00

Copied from About WB: Our Mission Statement

- Our goal is provide a free Internet community for the sharing of information related to the Appalachian Trail.
- We will do this by using open forums for all to use.
- We will honor freedom of speech (within limits).
- We will do tour best to keep this environment friendly for all.
- We will share or pass information on to others in regards to updates and information on the Appalachian Trail as it becomes available.
- We will respect others opinions and not force our views on to others.
>>>>>- We expect the same in return from others.

**************Note: One person does not own WhiteBlaze. Everyone on this site shares a piece of it. Lets work together and help our community of Appalachian Trail Enthusiasts grow.

The Weasel
03-16-2009, 12:23

- Our goal is provide a free Internet community for the sharing of information related to the Appalachian Trail.
- We will do this by using open forums for all to use.
- We will honor freedom of speech (within limits).
- We will do tour best to keep this environment friendly for all.
- We will share or pass information on to others in regards to updates and information on the Appalachian Trail as it becomes available.
- We will respect others opinions and not force our views on to others.
>>>>>- We expect the same in return from others.

**************Note: One person does not own WhiteBlaze. Everyone on this site shares a piece of it. Lets work together and help our community of Appalachian Trail Enthusiasts grow.

Actually, WhiteBlaze IS owned, and by two people. They let the rest of us chat here, and usually with wide latitude, but in the end, they decide what can and can't be said. They're almost always right in their calls, but it's not really "freedom of speech" here any more than it is in your backyard: As the Mission Statement says, it's "limited" free speech. Which means, "restricted." And, as valued guests, but guests nonetheless, the wishes of our hosts need to be respected. That means some things don't get said. Most things do.

Weasy

tom_alan
03-16-2009, 12:27
https://home.comcast.net/~smith_brothers/images/Max First Pack.jpg

This was my son's first trip to spend a night on the trail. My 76-year-old father was going with us as well. Dad had not carried a pack in some 30 years. I was carrying extra stuff for both of them plus all the group gear. The four-man tent only weighed 4.3 lbs; however, I was still pushing 65 to 70 lbs. My son wanted to carry all of his stuff but I just couldn't do it to the little guy.

https://home.comcast.net/~smith_brothers/images/Best-Tom-Max.jpg
Sun Down in The Rockies ~ need I say more?

drastic_quench
03-16-2009, 12:31

What's my piece worth? I might want to cash in. Hell, I'll open multiple accounts and make a killing!

sheepdog
03-16-2009, 12:32
One of those big 6 volt flashlights. Had to weigh at least a pound.

4eyedbuzzard
03-16-2009, 12:34
What's my piece worth? I might want to cash in. Hell, I'll open multiple accounts and make a killing!

Probably 42 cents, less postage.

Christus Cowboy
03-16-2009, 12:42

Absolutely! I'm with you on this Wags and as I stated on my post I tried to point this out.... There is a user agreement that each of should abide by when participating on this forum. Compliance of this user agreement is maintained by the moderators who I might add are doing these duties free of compensation except the grief they sometimes catch from WB users. I try to support them the best I can and express gratitude periodically for the job they do.....

There is an important distinction between the regulation of speech on a commercial forum such as WB as you have aptly stated and the regulation of speech, thoughts, and beliefs around a campfire where a commercial interest is not being served and I think that is were some people were getting confused.....

McKeever
03-16-2009, 13:41
Actually, WhiteBlaze IS owned, and by two people. They let the rest of us chat here, and usually with wide latitude, but in the end, they decide what can and can't be said. They're almost always right in their calls, but it's not really "freedom of speech" here any more than it is in your backyard: As the Mission Statement says, it's "limited" free speech. Which means, "restricted." And, as valued guests, but guests nonetheless, the wishes of our hosts need to be respected. That means some things don't get said. Most things do.

Weasy

To clarify, you are arguing with a complete cut/paste of the mission statement, not anything I said or added.

Alligator
03-16-2009, 14:02
Closed so that folks can take some time to get to Springer and return with some new material here. Thanks for the anecdotes, they were enjoyed!