PDA

View Full Version : Double Rainbow Tarp Tent

-SEEKER-
03-11-2009, 18:24
Users of the Double Rainbow:
What have you done to alter it? I'm considering altering the elastic strap under each door so it will bring the sides of the floor up higher. I'm also thinking about removing the Velcro near the staking grommets at each end.

Franco
03-11-2009, 19:36
Those wall clips can change in tension depending on your set up ( a wrinkled floor indicates that the corner guyouts may not be set correctly) and I think temperature and humidity. As you know silnylon stretches and shrinks. (not 100% sure about the second point but that is what seem to happen with my Rainbow). So maybe test it a bit more before surgery.
BTW occasionally I attach the clip directly to the loop without using the elastic band. Weight saved by removing those bends, maybe 1/5th of an oz...
Franco

Sailor (The other one)
03-11-2009, 20:12
I tied some knots in the side loops so I can raise and lower the floor three levels. I also used very thin line and mini-cordlocks to make adjusters along each end wall, three per wall. In this way I can further raise the floor if rain splash comes in, which happened to us when we first got the tent. I was careful to seal every place I sewed the line on three times inside and out with a mixture of silicone caulk and mineral spirits.

Franco
03-11-2009, 20:30
"I tied some knots in the side loops so I can raise and lower the floor three levels"
Yes, me too. Very likely I posted about this before.
Franco

Big Dawg
03-11-2009, 21:51
I enclosed one of my vestibules, adding a zipper to the door and mesh to the bottom.

Big Dawg
03-12-2009, 17:52
I also added flaps on each end that can unroll to the ground to keep splash out during heavy rains.

Sailor (The other one)
03-12-2009, 17:59
"I tied some knots in the side loops so I can raise and lower the floor three levels"
Yes, me too. Very likely I posted about this before.
Franco

Probably where I learned it.

bigcranky
03-14-2009, 12:22
Huh, I added the knots to the elastic this week, and thought it was a pretty good idea. Now I realize there are no original ideas anymore....

I had my DR out for my section hike of Georgia. Slept in it for 5 of the six nights. Great design, very stable in high wind (used my trekking poles for added support on two nights.) Love the easy setup and all the room inside for a solo hiker.