PDA

View Full Version : whats the deal with baxter reservations?

blackyjones
03-11-2009, 18:39
now im getting confused. depending on where i look or who i ask, there are different ways to stay in baxter. someone told me you have to pay for camping no matter what the entire time your there. someone else told me only at sites. another told me the sites fill up and you need to book them months in advance. i dont wanna show up there (early june) and find i have no where to sleep and have to bandito it in the woods somewhere. will someone give me a straigh answer? do i need reservations? do i have to pay for campsites the whole time in BSP? how many nights will i have to pay? can i just crash somewhere in the woods?

rickb
03-11-2009, 20:05
You can check this out:

http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/camping/nextyear.html

and here

http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/hiking/thru-hiking.html

Sailor (The other one)
03-11-2009, 20:17
Hey Rickb, thanks. I have just started researching that end of the trail for our planned (someday) SOBO. This helps a lot.

naturejunkie
03-12-2009, 15:36
There are often people who have already made reservations and have extra space. They will usually share if you split the costs. Put up a post when you decide on a date and see if anyone has space.

Wrangler88
03-12-2009, 19:17
There are often people who have already made reservations and have extra space. They will usually share if you split the costs. Put up a post when you decide on a date and see if anyone has space.

Well in that case, I plan on being in Baxter on June 30th. Anyone willing to split a campsite?

TJ aka Teej
03-14-2009, 06:49
You can check this out:

http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/camping/nextyear.html

and here

http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/hiking/thru-hiking.html

Good links, Rick. Also, you can talk with a Ranger at HQ (207) 723-5140.

TJ aka Teej
03-14-2009, 06:56
someone told me you have to pay for camping no matter what the entire time your there. Nope. someone else told me only at sites. Right, only if you camp. another told me the sites fill up and you need to book them months in advance. Your best bet is to book well ahead. do i need reservations? I always suggest MEGAs book two nights at Katahdin Stream. can i just crash somewhere in the woods? Please don't - you'll get kicked out of the Park.
If you're you're not hiking this year, consider visiting Baxter this season. What you'll learn first hand will be valueable to you.

TJ aka Teej
03-14-2009, 06:58

Good point! Campers must pay the two person per site rate even if they're alone (with the sole exception of the Birches) so doubling up is always smart.

Nest
03-14-2009, 14:38
I know it's illegal, and a few people here will get all bent out of shape about this. When I summited Katahdin last year my buddy and I got into BSP around midnight and just stealthed in the woods. The ranger never asked where we camped or anyhting. They weren't even in the office when we got there. Just switched packs, signed the hiker register, then registered with the Ranger when we got back down.

Lone Wolf
03-14-2009, 14:39
I know it's illegal, and a few people here will get all bent out of shape about this. When I summited Katahdin last year my buddy and I got into BSP around midnight and just stealthed in the woods. The ranger never asked where we camped or anyhting. They weren't even in the office when we got there. Just switched packs, signed the hiker register, then registered with the Ranger when we got back down.

it happens quite a bit. the rangers know about it

The Scribe
03-15-2009, 11:08
I know my situation wasn't about hiking but wanted to relate this. My better half and I set a date for our wedding. July, 2007. So we then thought a week on Kidney or Daicey Pond would be perfect. So I read, and reread, and read again the rules pages for BSP.

Finally, in January of 07 sometime I called HQ. I said that I could probably recite the webpages to them but all they did was give me a headache. I said I wanted a cabin for a week starting on July 8. "How do I make that happen".

With the four month in advance reservation policy, we each took March 8 off. We headed north about 5:15 a.m. from southern Maine. It was 25 below zero. The "Arctic Sea Smoke" on the Kennebec River when we went over it was awesome.

We got to HQ about 7:50 a.m. Walked in when they unlocked the door at 8. By 8:15 we were all set. But even then I only got my third choice.

Best of luck.