PDA

View Full Version : Laurel Fork Lodge/hostel

Bluebelle
03-11-2009, 19:23
I am getting ready to hike a section that includes the Dennis Cove area and would like to stay at the Laurel Fork Lodge.....I tried to call today to confirm they were open.....handbook just says March to October...no definate dates and no answer on the phone....just the answering machine so......anybody know if /when they open?

Bluebelle

Blue Wolf
03-11-2009, 19:26
Brady will call you back when he gets the message you could also stay at the Kinkora?

Cabin Fever
03-11-2009, 19:54
Stay at Kincora. Top notch.

Lone Wolf
03-11-2009, 19:59
or push on to hampton and stay at braemer castle. it won't be crowded like kincora is and you don't have to rely on a shuttle for resupply

Bluebelle
03-11-2009, 20:43
Hey Lone Wolf, good to hear from you! Hope you are feeling great! We will be in Damascus on Friday to drop off the car and shuttle down to Erwin.....this the need for a maildrop and lodging at Dennis Cove. I have stayed at Kincora....yes it is topnotch ....just thought we would try something else this time. I could try Braemer......just didn't think of that...hopefully I will hear something tomorrow a.m. as I need to get a maildrop in the mail.....thanks again,

Bluebelle

Tennessee Viking
03-12-2009, 00:14
I am getting ready to hike a section that includes the Dennis Cove area and would like to stay at the Laurel Fork Lodge.....I tried to call today to confirm they were open.....handbook just says March to October...no definate dates and no answer on the phone....just the answering machine so......anybody know if /when they open?

BluebelleLaurel Fork Lodge is ok. It mainly gets its business from its cabins and lodge. The hostel is just something extra they offer. They should be officially opening up the hostel for the year with in the next couple weeks. Usually you have to make arrangements with them before the crowd hits the area.

They offer a menu of frozen foods and small snacks.

Usually the manager is out working on the grounds or in town. So you message will be returned soon.

If you stayed at Kincora, Braemar Castle is also great. Just take the blue blazed trail along the Laurel Fork into Hampton. Walk into town, and its near the end of Dennis Cove Road. The Browns (the owners) also run the local market.

Red Hat
03-12-2009, 12:48
We plan on staying at both Laurel Fork and Kincora since they are about 11 miles apart. We're camping the first four nights, then staying at hostels the last two. At least that's the plan for now. We'll see next week how it goes.

Slo-go'en
03-12-2009, 13:09
We plan on staying at both Laurel Fork and Kincora since they are about 11 miles apart.

Umm, sorry, thier 1/2 mile apart and on the same road. LF is 1/4 mile one way and Kincora 1/4 mile the other way at the road crossing.

Next stop north would be Hampton and the castle thing.