PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight shoes

Streamweaver
05-22-2004, 21:13
Hey up, I just got the latest catalog from Brigade Quartermasters and they have some shoes that look like they could be decent hiking shoes. one is the Bates,Enforcer series Ultralite footwear tactical boots. and the other Is made by Converse and they are similar to the Bates shoes/boots. Weights range from 2lbs1oz-2lbs11ozs and all are priced under 90 bucks. Anybody here familiar with these shoes or have any experience with them?? I might have to give em a try.

Also If you like the Petzal Zipka headlamp ,Brigade Quartermasters has a headlamp that is very similar to the Zipka but half the price.
Its called The Lumatec Ultralife Nomad.It has the retractable cord ,3 LED settings with flashing and steady modes and weighs 2.4 ozs $15.00

Brigade Quartermasters (www.actiongear.com)

Streamweaver

stupe
05-22-2004, 22:27
The Bates Ultralite 5" boot really looks nice, but I've never bought shoes through mail order.....has anybody any feedback on VietNam style Jungle Boots? They're supposed to be lightweight, quick drying, and sturdy. I don't like a high boot, but boots with all that padding take forever to dry, and these may be an alternative. And they're cheap!!

kncats
05-23-2004, 06:36
I don't have any experience with those particular boots, however Bates is a major supplier of footwear to the military. I wore several different types of boots and shoes made by Bates during my years in the service and I was never particularly impressed by the quality of construction or their comfort. I think it's a matter of you get what you pay for.

chowhound
05-24-2004, 14:08
The Vietnam jungle boots were not especially light except maybe by comparison to other military boots of that era. That being said, the boots that I was issued in Vietnam were among the most comfortable that I have ever worn. The mesh insole designed to increase drainage and reduce drying time actually formed to your feet. They did dry quickly, and could be laced to give quite a bit of support when you needed it. I brought a couple of pairs back with me, and was sorry when they finally fell apart. I don't know if you can get the real thing (I'd be wary of knockoffs), or if the modern versions are the same as the originals.

chowhound