PDA

View Full Version : Help starting south of Harpers Ferry

The Big J
03-11-2009, 22:01
It is time for my annual section hike. last year was Pine Grove furnace Pa. to Harpers Ferry. I am thinking of starting about 90 miles south of Harpers Ferry and hiking back to my car. I want to hike about 12 miles a day give or take. I did not purchase maps and I am wondering where does this put my starting point on the trail. Any infomation on this section would be helpful; shelters,water crowds,hostels,diffucilty. I will be hiking the week of April 11-18. I need to get a new companion guide. I have seen the wingfoot guide and know someone else is writing it now but can not remember the name of it. Thank you ahead of time for the help.

dzierzak
03-12-2009, 13:02
You could start with the Thru-Hikers Companion (online) at http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

About 80 miles south of Harpers Ferry would put you at Thornton Gap - Luray, VA.
About 110 miles south to Swift Run Gap. Both are in Shenandoah National Park.

The ATC has a shuttle list at
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/cf/{D25B4747-42A3-4302-8D48-EF35C0B0D9F1}/ATShuttleWeb_Feb-4-09.pdf

The Outfitter at Harpers Ferry may also know of shuttlers in the area.

ed

Blissful
03-12-2009, 14:53
I'd get a map and check out the terrain. It's the rollercoaster area.

:)

The Big J
03-12-2009, 20:59
I'd get a map and check out the terrain. It's the rollercoaster area.

:)

Just ordered the maps today. I will get the new companion, I have one from 2005. It looks like the rollercoaster is about 14mi. I would probably do it two short days. Is it doable in one day? I like to push myself at times, to know I still have the determination when I want it. What bag would you recommend for the middle of April, my 40 degree marmot pounder, or 25 degree Big Anges. Kind of rambling here,sorry.

Cookerhiker
03-12-2009, 21:06
Just ordered the maps today. I will get the new companion, I have one from 2005. It looks like the rollercoaster is about 14mi. I would probably do it two short days. Is it doable in one day? I like to push myself at times, to know I still have the determination when I want it. What bag would you recommend for the middle of April, my 40 degree marmot pounder, or 25 degree Big Anges. Kind of rambling here,sorry.

I would go with the winter bag. Even if you experience warm days, the nights will likely be cold enough to warrant the warmer bag. Mid-April can produce anywhere from light snow & freezing rain to warm sunshine and everything in-between. I think it's a wonderful time to hike that stretch because early wildflowers will have emerged and you'll see nice views since the trees will not have leafed out yet.

Darwin again
03-15-2009, 14:44
Two years ago a friend and I hiked Thornton Gap to Harper's Ferry, starting on April 1st (ever the fools...).
The first three days were warmish to hot, with plenty of shunshine and no leaves on the trees for shade. The third night, a cold front came through plunging temps into the upper 30s in the daytime and freezing cold at night. The last afternoon down into Harper's Ferry, we had flurries and our water bottles were sloshing with ice.

The cool weather made the series of hills known as the Roller Coaster slightly more tolerable and those, plus the final climb up to Bear's Den Hostel, made for a longish tiring day (for northern Virginia, and for a couple of fools out of hardened hiking shape!). The pizza and warm bunks at Bear's Den were great after a day out in the blustery cold.

You can do the roller coaster in a day, no problem, just snack up in advance! We stayed at Rod Hollow Shelter just before the Roller Coaster and stopped for the day at Bear's Den, about 10.5 miles I think.

And I'd take the warmer bag and be glad I did. I wound up wearing my smartwool socks on my hands a couple of mornings!

The Big J
03-15-2009, 20:45
Two years ago a friend and I hiked Thornton Gap to Harper's Ferry, starting on April 1st (ever the fools...).
The first three days were warmish to hot, with plenty of shunshine and no leaves on the trees for shade. The third night, a cold front came through plunging temps into the upper 30s in the daytime and freezing cold at night. The last afternoon down into Harper's Ferry, we had flurries and our water bottles were sloshing with ice.

The cool weather made the series of hills known as the Roller Coaster slightly more tolerable and those, plus the final climb up to Bear's Den Hostel, made for a longish tiring day (for northern Virginia, and for a couple of fools out of hardened hiking shape!). The pizza and warm bunks at Bear's Den were great after a day out in the blustery cold.

You can do the roller coaster in a day, no problem, just snack up in advance! We stayed at Rod Hollow Shelter just before the Roller Coaster and stopped for the day at Bear's Den, about 10.5 miles I think.

And I'd take the warmer bag and be glad I did. I wound up wearing my smartwool socks on my hands a couple of mornings!

Thanks for the help. I am looking to do the same. How long did it take you. Did you resupply, and where? Did you leave a car in Harpers Ferry? I will bring my warmer bag!!

Kerosene
03-15-2009, 21:42
9.8 miles from Rod Hollow Shelter to Bear's Den Hostel (at least as of 2001), and it was a lot easier to hike than I had been led to believe.

Darwin again
03-15-2009, 22:22
Hey Big J.
Here's how it went for us:
Day 1: Compton Gap to Gravel Spring Hut, 14.3 miles
Day 2: to Tom Floyd Wayside, 10.3 miles
Day 3: to Manassas Gap Shelter, 13.6 miles
Day 4: to Rod Hollow Shelter, 13.4 miles
Day 5: to Bear's Den Hostel, 9.9 miles
Day 6: to David Lesser Shelter, 11.1 miles
Day 7: to Harper's Ferry, 9.8 miles
Total miles: 82.6

*Trail mileages according to my old '05 copy of Wingfoot.
*We stopped by the Blackburn Center, eight miles north of the Bear's Den, but it was closed and the caretakers were nowhere to be seen, so we watered up and kept going. It looked nice.
*The Bear's Den was a really nice stop. Got the pizza and ice cream deal. Caretaker was very helpful and friendly.
*We didn't resupply along the way and got picked up in Harper's Ferry, so didn't leave a car there. We didn't plan on eating at the Bear's Den, so the pizza there left me with a little extra food at the end of the trip.
*Don't miss the just-barely noticeable civil war trench systems on the Loudoun Heights, the hill across the river from Harper's Ferry that the Trail traverses (link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Harpers_Ferry)

Hope this helps!

Downhill Trucker
03-16-2009, 05:05
The rollercoaster aint that bad, especially when you stay at Bears Den at the end of it! Bears Den is a must stay. Watch the sunset and then eat pizza and ice cream. Visit their site for details.

The Big J
03-17-2009, 11:30
Just trying to finalize a couple of things. Do I need to get a permit for the SNP if I will only be in the park for one night? I plan on driving to Harpers Ferry to drop my car. Where is a cheap place to crash for the night, campground,Hostel,Motel. I am also looking for a shuttle from Harpers ferry to Trail head near Thorton Gap, for three maybe four people. Last is what is the food resupply like at Bears Den Hostel.

Darwin again
03-17-2009, 12:38
You can pick up your camping permit tag at the Thornton Gap ranger/entrance station.

I'd guess a good place to call for info about services in Harper's Ferry would be the ATC office there. (regarding parking, etc.) Or refer to an up-to-date copy of the companion or other guide book for shuttles, motels and such stuff.

There's all kinds of food at Bear's Den, typical hiker stuff, Red Baron frozen pizzas, Ben & Jerry's, candy, soda, etc., and even a well-outfitted kitchen to use. They have a Web site: http://www.bearsdencenter.org/

Have a great hike.

Vadayhiker
03-17-2009, 18:00
There is a hostel on the MD side of the river which you can drive or hike to.

There is a comfort in right off 340 in HF, which you can also easliy drive or hike to.

Ther is a commercial campground just South of the HF park entrance to the visitors center.

The Big J
03-18-2009, 08:55
Has any body used Mountain Valley Shuttle service near luray,Va.. http://www.mvshuttle.com/

Cookerhiker
03-18-2009, 09:12
Has any body used Mountain Valley Shuttle service near luray,Va.. http://www.mvshuttle.com/

I believe that's Skyline's service. He's active on WB, the PATC, and serves as an ALDHA field editor. So you can reasonably expect good service from someone who knows the trail and the area very well.

Drifter2161
04-05-2012, 20:11
My sons hiking the trail and left springer April 2nd. I would like to meet him at Thornton Gap - Luray Va and hike to Harpers Ferry. I have no idea how to get to the area from Miami Fl. ( Bus?, Airports? )