PDA

View Full Version : Springer to Asheville

Beano
03-11-2009, 22:51
Anyone know approximately how many days it will take to get from Springer to Asheville (I-40) if i average about 15 miles a day? Im trying to time my start right so I can meet up with some friends on June 9 and not have to waste too much time waiting around because I went too fast or started to early. Thanks for the help.

A-Train
03-11-2009, 23:07
Anyone know approximately how many days it will take to get from Springer to Asheville (I-40) if i average about 15 miles a day? Im trying to time my start right so I can meet up with some friends on June 9 and not have to waste too much time waiting around because I went too fast or started to early. Thanks for the help.

It's about 235 miles to I-40 from Springer, so that should take you 15-16 days at 15 miles a day.

NashvilleBiscuit
03-13-2009, 22:02
Sounds like somebody wants to see Phish.

Ox97GaMe
03-15-2009, 01:31
Also figure out how many 0 or short days you might be taking for resupply. It wont be 16 straight days on the trail. you will want to go into town maybe 2 or 3 times before you get to Davenport Gap

Not sure which way your friends will be coming from, but here is something else to consider... From Ashville to Waterville is approx same distance as Ashville to Hot Springs. It is 33 miles from I-40 to Ashville. If you are ahead of schedule, you can push on to Hot Springs, rather than hanging out at Standing Bear or doing short mileage days.

Beano
03-15-2009, 23:40
Thanks a lot for the help. And hell yea Im gonna see Phish. But I think by then Ill be looking forward to a cold beer and a hot shower more than the show!

Ramble~On
03-17-2009, 18:37
It might be easier to get a ride from Hot Springs into Asheville..it's on the AT, Hiker friendly and plenty of folks heading that way.
I-40 through there isn't somewhere I'd want to hitch from- not saying it can't or hasn't been done though. ~ enjoy the show.

thollin
03-17-2009, 22:49
That show is going to be sick. I'm heading out on April 10th and really want to try to get to a festival at some point along the trail. Does anyone know of any off the top of their head that will be going on within hitching distance??

NashvilleBiscuit
03-18-2009, 11:03
Another idea is to bus it back. I am starting on the 28th. I have tickets to see Phish in Ashville and Knoxville. Im going to bus it back from wherever I can get to for the shows then get a ride back to the trail.

Beano
03-18-2009, 20:52
Arent knoxville and asheville back to back days? Thats gonna be a tall order gettin from one city to the other in a day without a car. Might wanna start checking the bus schedules now. Good luck and hope to see u in asheville.

Thollin- you might want to check out AllGood in WV. I think its in early July, and not too far from the trail. Ive heard good things about it, but never been myself.

DAJA
03-18-2009, 22:43
Wow very envyous... And very cool concept, tour hiking...LOL... I'm doing Camden, Burgettsville and Jones Beach... Wish that included a good long stretch on the AT...

Enjoy the show! Boo to the Roo!

I'd second the All Good! Magnificent sights, sounds and peole..

NashvilleBiscuit
03-18-2009, 23:47
I got friends giving me a ride. Getting picked up in Gatlinburg to follow the Dead for Greensboro, DC, Charlottesville. Then getting a ride back to Gatlinburg. Its a great plan tour-thru-hike! I'll look into All Good. That might be too much time off though.

thollin
03-19-2009, 09:06
Lucky SOB. I thought about pushing back my start date so I could go to Greensboro. I hope I don't regret missing that show. It would have made my life a lot easier if they had just started the tour in Atlanta on the 10th. Now that is a way to start a thru hike.

Mace
03-25-2009, 10:10
STAY AWAY FROM ASHEVILLE! Thats where I ended up hiking south in 2007 and didnt leave. I lived therre for a year. There is a motto in Asheville... "Come on vacation and leave on probation" For example, a buddy of mine got arrested for putting his pack down on the sidewalk... they got him with camping in the park. The cops are dicks to people with a pack on cause there is soooo many homeless people there.

For the love of god dont go with a pack!

RockDoc
04-27-2009, 16:49
Good luck getting where you want to go in Asheville from Hot Springs (or Dport Gap).
No public bus service (they laughed at me when I asked).
Shuttles from Bluff are $104.
It's possible to hitch, but Aville is awfuly spread out, and the airport is 10 miles past town, if that's where you're going.
Best deal is to know somebody with a car who is willing to help.

sloopjonboswell
04-27-2009, 22:44
finding a ride to the next show is tough? psh. i'd stick with i-40 for sure unless your friends dont mind picking you up in hot springs.. a stay at standing bear, waiting on a ride to a couple phish shows sounds like heaven from here.

sloopjonboswell
04-27-2009, 22:48
oh yeah, if you get to i-40 and wanna bolt, just make a quirky sign, my favorite is "just had a shower."

Chaco Taco
04-28-2009, 18:00
Arent knoxville and asheville back to back days? Thats gonna be a tall order gettin from one city to the other in a day without a car. Might wanna start checking the bus schedules now. Good luck and hope to see u in asheville.

Thollin- you might want to check out AllGood in WV. I think its in early July, and not too far from the trail. Ive heard good things about it, but never been myself.
Allgood is great. heaidng there this summer.

As for your ride to Asheville, I live here and Standing Bear (I40) is about 40 mins from here. Give me a date and time and I can get you where you need to be.

BrownBag
04-28-2009, 21:16
I'm starting a SOBO section from Bland next week and shooting for Standing Bear in time for Phish. Someone will be picking me up on their way through on the 8th. So if I'm there you've got a ride, and a room, if you need one.

Madison County Owl
04-29-2009, 11:09
Good luck getting where you want to go in Asheville from Hot Springs (or Dport Gap).
No public bus service (they laughed at me when I asked).
Shuttles from Bluff are $104.
It's possible to hitch, but Aville is awfuly spread out, and the airport is 10 miles past town, if that's where you're going.
Best deal is to know somebody with a car who is willing to help.

Shuttlees from HS to AVL are $60.00 call a cab from AVL its $150.00 it is a 55 min drive on winding roads, the Airport is south of Asheville so it is a little more but you can get a Greyhound aot of Geeneville, TN it is closer than AVL but it is still a 55.00 shuttle

RockDoc
05-02-2009, 23:17
Shuttlees from HS to AVL are $60.00

From whom? Nobody that I could find...

I was specifically quoted $104 from Bluff Mtn (that may include some tax).
I guess the driver for Bluff Mtn probably gets $60, and then Bluff gets $40 for arranging the job. That's how the world goes round.

Chaco Taco
05-03-2009, 23:02
Shuttlees from HS to AVL are $60.00 call a cab from AVL its $150.00 it is a 55 min drive on winding roads, the Airport is south of Asheville so it is a little more but you can get a Greyhound aot of Geeneville, TN it is closer than AVL but it is still a 55.00 shuttle

We would get a hiker $80 one way