PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations Baltimore Jack

MedicineMan
05-22-2004, 21:51
Just perused this months National Geographic Explorer magazine which details the three great National Scenic Trails, the author and photographer doing the ATportion of the report selected Baltimore Jack to quote and placed his picture atop Katahdin in the article-not that Jack is the sole focus of the article by any means but he is there.
Having read everything Jack has posted here at Whiteblaze I am glad National Geo sought him out for opinion and honoring his many miles on the AT.
Even more glad I could shake your hand at Dots Jack!

Hammock Hanger
05-22-2004, 22:09
Oh God Jack, how will you ever get your head thru the door now... better yet up the trail! -- All joking aside, Jack has put his time into the trail and who better to quote. Way to go BJ. Sue/HH

MedicineMan
05-22-2004, 22:16
The pic of Jack is excellent...I would scan and post it here but something tells me not to do that (litigation you know)..anyway the article throughout is excellent with good comparisons of the AT, the CDT, and the PCT.....I dont have to tell anyone here which trail is the hardest but glad to see it in print.

Lone Wolf
05-22-2004, 22:17
I'm so ******in jealous.

Desert Lobster
05-22-2004, 22:46
I'm so ******in jealous.

They were going to use you, Lonewolf, but they figured your beard wouldn't all fit in the photo!

Lugnut
05-23-2004, 01:41
Is Jack becoming the Keith Richards of the Appalachian Trail? ;)

bfitz
05-23-2004, 02:14
wait a minute, I thought I was the sole of the AT...oh.

MedicineMan
05-23-2004, 02:23
I stay out of the religeous, gun owning, rivalry type debates here. But I'm thinking that there are some folks who are truly jealous and I know Lone Wolf is not one of them. Now wonder who those eaten by the purple monster are?

Kozmic Zian
05-23-2004, 07:27
Yea.......Honor. Good to recognize 'Baltimore Jack' by the National Geographic Magazine. A very worthy representative of the AT and Whiteblaze. Thanks Jack. KZ@

Footslogger
05-23-2004, 11:02
Baltimore who ??

...just kidding, of course. Too bad that the song wasn't about "Baltimore Jim" (Beam , that is ...)

'Slogger

Jack Tarlin
05-23-2004, 11:18
Many thanx for the kind words....the photo, by the way, was taken atop Mt. Washington, and not Katahdin. I'm also smoking a Camel in it, which is pretty funny if you think about it.

More importantly, the magazine uses much more space talking about Bob and Pat Peoples of Kincora Hostel, which is exactly how it should be.

The stuff on the other major Trails (yes, there ARE other Trails) is also worth a look. One of these days I might have to check 'em out.

SGT Rock
05-23-2004, 11:27
Saddam also smokes camels. But the camels seem to enjoy it.

Youngblood
05-23-2004, 11:48
The stuff on the other major Trails (yes, there ARE other Trails) is also worth a look. One of these days I might have to check 'em out.

Jack, have you ever hiked that far from the AT? :)

Congratulations on being a part of the article related to the AT, I'll have to get a copy and check it out.

Youngblood

MedicineMan
05-24-2004, 02:55
The title of the magazine is:
National Geographic Adventure
not
National Geographic Explorer
my bad....
good mag, subscription to it is worth strong thoughts

Jaybird
05-24-2004, 05:32
Many thanx for the kind words....the photo, by the way, was taken atop Mt. Washington, and not Katahdin. I'm also smoking a Camel in it, which is pretty funny if you think about it.
More importantly, the magazine uses much more space talking about Bob and Pat Peoples of Kincora Hostel, which is exactly how it should be.

Congrats on the FACE-TIME Jack! :D

i'll pick up a copy!

SGT Rock
05-24-2004, 09:12
They should have used the one with you and Smoky the Bear sharing a cigarette

oyvay
05-25-2004, 12:49
Baltimore Jack is a good source for quotes about the AT, but L.A. Tarlin is a far better source of info than Jack. L.A. makes Baltimore Jack looks like a newbie on the approach trail with a eighty pound pack!

SavageLlama
05-25-2004, 16:18
I'm also smoking a Camel in it, which is pretty funny if you think about it.
:D:D:D:D Smoking a Camel.. Now that is classic Jack!

Can't wait to see the article. Someone should post a scan for those of us too cheap to subscribe.

stranger
05-28-2004, 07:58
Just to play it and why not, has Jack really done anything that hasn't been done before, and why is it praised???

Lone Wolf
05-28-2004, 08:02
No he hasn't. Except maybe he's the only one who smokes Camels WHILE hiking uphill and slugging back copious amounts of bourbon and carrying a 50-70 lb. pack. I'm impressed.

squirrel bait
05-28-2004, 09:23
..non filter I hope, solves the LNT. :clap

The Old Fhart
06-01-2004, 14:00
Just opened the May-June Appalachian Trailway News magazine and on pages 18-19 is a large picture of hikers on Katahdin. Guess who's standing right behind the sign? Jack, of course. I'm beginning to think he lives on the summit.

Congratulations, Jack, and next time we meet I have another long and pointless story to tell you, just like the others I told you on our last road trip................

Mountain Dew
06-01-2004, 15:18
Stranger... "Just to play it and why not, has Jack really done anything that hasn't been done before, and why is it praised???"

Answer: He has hiked the A.T. 8 times with the last 7 being thru-hikes. Did I mention that they were in consective years ? I can only think of two people who have more miles on the A.T. then him. I could add more , but i think you might now understand what he has done. Why praise it ? Because people choose to.....simple as that.

Lone Wolf
06-01-2004, 20:41
You best oughta pull your nose outa Jack's ass! :D He just has a lot of free time on his hands,

MOWGLI
06-01-2004, 23:23
My first intro to Baltimore Jack....

I was just south of Pearisburg, VA in 2000. I came to a shelter, and this fellow was there having just gotten out onto the trail for a section hike. He started talking (jokingly) about the 3 wild goats on the trail, and that one of them was Baltimore Jack's love interest. He was writing something to that effect in the shelter journal. I said "who is Baltimore Jack?". The guy looked at me like I had 3 heads and said, "you don't know who Baltimore Jack is?". True story.

Jack it was nice to finally shake your hand in Erwin and again in Damascus. I just wonder how you developed so many friends that say such interesting & varied things about you. he he

Jeffrey Hunter

Mountain Dew
06-02-2004, 00:02
Lone Wolf..."I'm so ******in jealous."

No brown nosing going on here. The truth is the truth. Jacks pantyhose is way to tight to allow that to happen anyways.