PDA

View Full Version : Critters and food bags

RevoRunner
03-12-2009, 08:36
Last hike out I had some critters chew through my food bag while hanging from the bear lines.

What types of protection do you guys use in the smokies? I've ordered a Rat Sack (metal mesh type cache bag). Just curious as to what others use.

Pickleodeon
03-12-2009, 09:18
www.ursack.com

Bearbait
03-20-2009, 14:24
For the last 6 years I have carried a dozen or so moth balls in a ziplock bag and hung above my food bag. I also put a few in my pack at night and have never had mouse chew on anything. Maybe I was just lucky, but I will continue to carry them until the mice prove that it does not work...........

UnkaJesse
03-20-2009, 14:44
I carry an old CD in the bottom of my pot. When I hang the bag up, I tie a small stick in the cord about a foot above the bag. I run the line through the CD's hole so that it makes a little barrier. Mice, squirrels and gremlins that come down the line hit the CD, and slide off. It's the same concept as the cans hanging all around the shelters........just 12 feet off the ground.

Sometimes in the middle of the night you can hear the little bastards hit the ground.

Christus Cowboy
03-20-2009, 14:53
I don't own one of these yet but have read some pretty good reviews on the Ursack... Here's the link:

http://www.ursack.com/ursack-catalog.htm

take-a-knee
03-20-2009, 16:07
Hang it PCT-style five feet away from a tree trunk, any closer and the squierls will jump to it.

medicjimr
03-20-2009, 16:12
I hang a bell from the rope above the bag It scares them away when they get near it.

Blissful
03-20-2009, 19:37
I carry an old CD in the bottom of my pot. When I hang the bag up, I tie a small stick in the cord about a foot above the bag. I run the line through the CD's hole so that it makes a little barrier. Mice, squirrels and gremlins that come down the line hit the CD, and slide off. It's the same concept as the cans hanging all around the shelters........just 12 feet off the ground.

Sometimes in the middle of the night you can hear the little bastards hit the ground.

Never heard of doing this, I must admit.

A-Train
03-21-2009, 14:23
Hang it PCT-style five feet away from a tree trunk, any closer and the squierls will jump to it.

I thought PCT style was using your foodbag as a pillow. That's what everyone does.

Gaiter
03-21-2009, 14:50
Never heard of doing this, I must admit.

i've done it, used a cat food can, i like the cd idea

SGT Rock
03-21-2009, 20:51
Hang it at the end of my hammock.

take-a-knee
03-21-2009, 20:54
I thought PCT style was using your foodbag as a pillow. That's what everyone does.

Not quite:

http://www.pineapplefish56.net/Scouting-Fun-DOC/BearBagHangingTech.pdf

DO try this at home, quite a bit of muscle memory involved, unless you want to impersonate all three stooges at once. Spectra line from Anti Gravity Gear or Gossamer Gear is a must. Tying that middle-of-the-line clove hitch standing on your tiptoes is a bit of a trick, but quite doable with practice.

bessiebreeze
03-21-2009, 21:05
I put my food inside tupper ware continers, and put these inside the food bags to hang up. I have never any critters, big or little, to open up any tupper ware.

1azarus
03-22-2009, 14:14
Hang it at the end of my hammock.

sooooo, do you use break-away clips?

SGT Rock
03-22-2009, 14:16
Nope.

1azarus
03-22-2009, 14:19
... been doing the same thing -- glad to hear you haven't had any issues...