PDA

View Full Version : Camping on Big Bald!

Jayboflavin04
03-12-2009, 09:28
We are leaving for our section in a couple weeks. My buddy mentioned camping on top of big bald. I have heard the wind is unpredictable there.
Thoughts?

Summit
03-12-2009, 09:48
You should have a 'Plan B' and see what the conditions are when you get there. You will also have to haul or go a fair ways to water.

Serial 07
03-12-2009, 09:50
loved it! there's a little nook along the side by the trees...if you have a look around you'll find a pre-existing fire spot that's tucked away from the peak and the wind...cowboyed up there myself...good times...

Frick Frack
03-12-2009, 09:50
I have been up there no less than 4 times and the wind is always howling (20mph+). It is close to the shelter though (which is north of the bald). Big Bald is one of the best views on the entire AT. Have a great trip.

Lone Wolf
03-12-2009, 09:56
We are leaving for our section in a couple weeks. My buddy mentioned camping on top of big bald. I have heard the wind is unpredictable there.
Thoughts?

correct. but who cares, give it a shot

Jayboflavin04
03-12-2009, 10:01
I am hoping it is nice...would love to wake up to that view and enjoy a cup of coffee n breakfast. Could you please tell me if the campsite is on the north or south ect of the top?

Jayboflavin04
03-12-2009, 10:04
Thanks Lone Wolf! How you feelin? Hope your not transmittin via Wi-Fi from some hosptial bed!

Serial 07
03-12-2009, 10:05
there's really only one grouping of trees that will be present when you get to the top, you won't be able to miss it...it is a big bald you know... ;)

Jayboflavin04
03-12-2009, 10:08
Oh!!! My bad I am a newb.......thought is was more "away" from the top.

DiamondDoug
03-12-2009, 10:10
Was on top two days ago. It can be windy up top - it is an open bald with nothing to stop the wind. But yes, it is gorgeous.

There are a couple of nearby choices to camp if you don't stay on top. There is not much south on the trail. There is some flat land off to the west, or TN side of the bald you could camp on. This would be the closest spot to the top. Also, if you go north on the trail down off the bald there is a little saddle and a second, lower hump that is mostly clear with some small trees. If you stay on the trail you will come to a big rock on your left; you can't miss it.

This would be a good, sheltered spot that would be mostly open yet somewhat protected and a 10-15 minute walk back up to the top of the bald, yet with some pretty spectacular views 10-15 streps from your tent. The shelter is about a half mile further north. It is downhill all the way from the spot I just described, and quite wooded without much of a view.

Hope this helps.

Jayboflavin04
03-12-2009, 10:14
All the reples have been awesome......Thanks!!!!

ranfreem
03-12-2009, 10:49
north of big bald to left, down road bed about 200 yds is site with fire pit and seating, it is somewhat exposed to wind, but if doesn't suit shelter is 20 min. north

Gray Blazer
03-12-2009, 11:25
I always camp on the summit. We were there last July when the remnants of Hurricane Bertha came thru in the wee hours. Make sure you guy your lines really well and stake your tent well. No hammock hanging on the summit. Be prepared for locals to be outside your tent watching the sunrise when you pop out. Say hi for me to the Hermit of Little Bald if you see him (pic in my WB gallery).

Jayboflavin04
03-12-2009, 11:36
That is kinda my concern. I just bought a HS cloudburst, I have set it up a couple times, I replaced the stakes with 3 MSR groundhogs and bought 6 needle shepards for the sides.

Not that I am not confident in the tent.....I am not confident in ME. Begin new and all. I have done a little backpacking and quite a bit of car camping. I have never really encountered any weather (lucky I guess)

Blissful
03-12-2009, 11:58
We got blown away by 60 mph winds, but you never know. Though it is March.

Blissful
03-12-2009, 11:59
I have never really encountered any weather (lucky I guess)

You will, never fear. So long as you're prepared and have plan a, b and c - which means, go with the flow. :)

Jayboflavin04
03-12-2009, 12:07
Thanks blissful. I am hoping to go NOBO in 2011 maybe we'll cross paths!

Short Term
03-12-2009, 13:22
Thoughts?

We are doing this section in a few weeks also and have the same idea. We wished we would have camped on top of Max Patch last year and didn't, so hopefuly the weather will cooperate!

Jayboflavin - maybe we'll see you there!

Pony
03-12-2009, 13:59
I stayed at low gap about 2.5 south of Big Bald. It was a nice campsit, woke up in the middle of the night to a barred owl hooting no more than thirty feet above my head, that was cool. I didn't get to enjoy the summit though because the wind was blowing sideways and there was a storm coming in. Just made it off the summit in time. I would be more worried about storms than wind up there.

Tennessee Viking
03-12-2009, 14:57
I was up there last April, and it was WINDY! There is Low Gap at the bottom. If you know how to tent down in the wind, then go for it on the summit. Just make sure there isn't an oncoming storm. But there is Bald Mtn Shelter, and campsite about a mile from Big Bald.

OldStormcrow
03-12-2009, 16:15
Thoughts?

The wind isn't unpredictable there.....it's ALWAYS blowing hard! I got caught up there in a vicious lightning storm a few years ago and made a new land speed record running down the mountain with all of that lightning-attraction gear on my back!

Tennessee Viking
03-13-2009, 00:41
The wind isn't unpredictable there.....it's ALWAYS blowing hard! I got caught up there in a vicious lightning storm a few years ago and made a new land speed record running down the mountain with all of that lightning-attraction gear on my back!I think I hit the same storm. I was over at Sugarloaf and Devils Fork Gap. Every minute or so, lightning was hitting around me. I did Sugarloaf to Devils Fork Gap in less than 30 minutes.

Serial 07
03-22-2009, 11:54
don't set up your tent and use your pack to block the wind...man, i'm gonna be there in two weeks! i can't wait!!!