PDA

View Full Version : Camping NC/TN Greasy Creek Gap to Kincora

Red Hat
03-12-2009, 11:38
So we're heading out for spring break and have five nights/six days planned to get to Kincora. Any suggestions for nice camping spots not at a shelter? Out of wind preferable, with trees for my hammock... spring would be nice. ideas anyone?

Tennessee Viking
03-12-2009, 14:29
Ash Gap is a big campsite. Great views to the south of the site, but great sight when climbing Roan.

Overmountain Barn is awesome especially on a full moon night.

Elk River/Sugar Hollow.

Upper Laurel Fork.

Canute Place

Cabin Fever
03-12-2009, 15:02
Ash Gap is a big campsite. Great views to the south of the site, but great sight when climbing Roan.

Overmountain Barn is awesome especially on a full moon night.

Elk River/Sugar Hollow.

Upper Laurel Fork.

Canute Place

I cannot believe you did not mention Doll Flats or Bradley Gap. Elk River is great. It is what I envision the Garden of Eden to be like (at least in summer).

Rain Man
03-12-2009, 15:37
Elk River is great. It is what I envision the Garden of Eden to be like (at least in summer).

I think I'll have to agree on the Elk River portion of the trail and there is an official campsite along it.

Rain:sunMan

Bootstrap
03-12-2009, 17:18
I cannot believe you did not mention Doll Flats or Bradley Gap. Elk River is great. It is what I envision the Garden of Eden to be like (at least in summer).

Bradley Gap is beautiful, but it can be COLD when the wind is blowing. There's a camp site a way up Little Hump that is quite nice if it's not taken ...

Jonathan

Red Hat
03-12-2009, 18:02
Thanks everyone for all the ideas. We are really excited about this hike! Bootstrap are you the same Bootstrap that hiked SOBO last year?

Tennessee Viking
03-12-2009, 23:02
I like Bradley Gap and Doll Flats its a good place for privacy...I go for the barn just for the view of Roaring Fork Valley view. Its can get a bit crowded with the people at the Barn. But if you get to the barn on a moon light night, it is well worth the view.