PDA

View Full Version : Dehydrating Chili Con Carne

Surplusman
03-12-2009, 13:22
I'm a babe in the woods when it comes to dehydrating food, but 'ya gotta start from somewhere. I love chili con carne and would love to dehydrate some of my homemade stuff to take hiking. Is it possible because of the meat in it? I don't know. And do I really need some super-honker expensive unit to dehydrate it in? Help!

mister krabs
03-12-2009, 13:50
sure you can, I got my dehydrator at goodwill for 5$. It works just fine.

hoz
03-12-2009, 13:55
Since you make it yourself I would recommend frying the meat first (hamburger?) an draining the fat. Some even rinse the cooked meat under hot water to remove as much of the fat as possible.

Then continue making the chili.

Spread the finished chili one layer thick and dehydrate at the top setting of your dehydrator.

sarbar
03-12-2009, 14:24
Parchment paper works well with thick liquids - just cut to fit your trays.

Btw, you can always blot off any extra fat as the item dries using paper towels.

Store your dried items in the freezer from term storage for best results and use up in 6 months time if containing meat :)

budforester
03-12-2009, 14:31
I'm a babe in the woods when it comes to dehydrating food, but 'ya gotta start from somewhere. I love chili con carne and would love to dehydrate some of my homemade stuff to take hiking. Is it possible because of the meat in it? I don't know. And do I really need some super-honker expensive unit to dehydrate it in? Help!

Here's a WB thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1189&highlight=oven+dehydrate)about dehydrating in an oven: just a quick search... probably lots more, here. Other DIY dehydration methods are available, too. Also check Sarbar's website and Google- search.

russb
03-12-2009, 14:54
Most definitely. If there are huge chunks of meat or whatever, you might want to make them smaller (much easier before you cook it). Anyway, it will dy and rehydrate awesome. Just a note of caution, in my experience it will be a little spicier when rehydrated than it was when you tasted it fresh. Not necessarily a bad thing either!

garlic08
03-12-2009, 15:44
Are you doing this for a thru hike? If so, keep in mind that your home-dehydrated meat may have to survive for months, part of the time may not be in the best climate-controlled conditions (the hot back storage room of a rural PO or hostel). I'll only take my own dehydrated food on weekend hikes or in cool/cold weather, to minimize risk of spoilage. I guess I don't trust my own quality control under poor conditions, maybe because I do it so rarely. Good luck!

Surplusman
03-12-2009, 15:55
Are you doing this for a thru hike? If so, keep in mind that your home-dehydrated meat may have to survive for months, part of the time may not be in the best climate-controlled conditions (the hot back storage room of a rural PO or hostel). I'll only take my own dehydrated food on weekend hikes or in cool/cold weather, to minimize risk of spoilage. I guess I don't trust my own quality control under poor conditions, maybe because I do it so rarely. Good luck!

I wish it was a thru-hike! No, my jaunts are usually three days/two nights due to my bum right leg. So I'm in the ballpark for toting my own chili on hikes like I do.

Surplusman
03-12-2009, 16:01
Since you make it yourself I would recommend frying the meat first (hamburger?) an draining the fat. Some even rinse the cooked meat under hot water to remove as much of the fat as possible.

Then continue making the chili.

Spread the finished chili one layer thick and dehydrate at the top setting of your dehydrator.

Thanks for the recommendation about getting as much fat out of the hamburger as possible beforehand.

Surplusman
03-12-2009, 16:04
Most definitely. If there are huge chunks of meat or whatever, you might want to make them smaller (much easier before you cook it). Anyway, it will dy and rehydrate awesome. Just a note of caution, in my experience it will be a little spicier when rehydrated than it was when you tasted it fresh. Not necessarily a bad thing either!

Spicier is better. I always carry Tabasco Sauce anyway!

4eyedbuzzard
03-12-2009, 17:16
I wish it was a thru-hike! No, my jaunts are usually three days/two nights due to my bum right leg. So I'm in the ballpark for toting my own chili on hikes like I do.

I know you asked about dehydrating, but for a two day hike you could just carry some fresh or precooked frozen meat. Freeze it before you go and wrap it tightly in some 1/4" to 1/2" thick styrofoam and plastic like a micro cooler. It'll last up to two days in my experience. Just be prepared for some yogiing when you start cooking real meat at an AT shelter.

hoz
03-12-2009, 18:07
Thanks for the recommendation about getting as much fat out of the hamburger as possible beforehand.

No problem. Fat don't dehydrate. Depending on how long you are out before using it could go rancid. We have used dehydrated hamburger as much as 2 months with out refrigeration.

You could buy 97/3 (very lean) to start with.

Surplusman
03-15-2009, 07:47
Just a note of thanks to everyone who responded to my question. When I'm chowing down on chili on the AT I will thank you again!