PDA

View Full Version : Me

LIVESTRONG
03-12-2009, 15:18
My friend and I were planning on going up north the first week of june, Katahdin, the Whites, Rutland, maybe Adirondacks on the way.

I guess my question is, will Washington and Katahdin be open, maybe what are the chances it will be closed.

since I was there in october in 05 I really dont know how the black flies really are, will it totally ruin our hike or what?

any feedback is appreciated.

Manwich
03-12-2009, 15:20
Whites will most certainly be open. Mt. Washington will most likely be open unless theres some really severe weather.

Pokey2006
03-12-2009, 15:37
They don't "close" Mt. Washington the way they close Katahdin. You can go up there any time, even in the midst of winter. Just be prepared for the conditions you might encounter. With all the snow they've received this year, there's a very good chance there will still be some snow on the upper peaks of the White Mtns. in early June.

peakbagger
03-12-2009, 15:55
The black flies at Katahdin will still be pretty nasty, but its does vary year to year. The bugs in the whites have usually swapped from black flies to mosquitoes. Some years the bugs will vary by elevation with the summits the last one to let go of them. There are a few trails in the whites that hold snow into early June but they are fairly rare, mostly shady trails on the north sides of mountains. Some years there is still a patch of snow in Tuckermans ravine and a few skiers which is worth checking out for the novelty. A good resource for hiking in the whites is viewsfromthetop.com, unfortunately, you cant post but you can read through the past posts. Except for weekends, most campgrounds have plenty of spots.