PDA

View Full Version : Outer wear

EMAN
03-12-2009, 15:21
I've been caarying an old set of Frogg Toggs since I started seriously hiking several years ago. They are an early set where the pants have the suspenders, the top has a packable hood. Neither has pockets, just slots.
They are well worn and showing signs of age, thinning at the elbows, a few burn holes, etc.
I have another set but the pants have no suspenders and I'd swear this set is heavier.
I have been unable to find replacements for my original set.
Does anyone know who might have these?
In lieu of replacements, does anyone have a recommendation for outerwear that is as light, or lighter, than the Frogg Toggs? Something wind and weather resistant. Somewhat breathable? I have an REI rain jacket sort of thing that is OK but causes me to sweat pretty badly.
Anyway, what's new that I don't know about?
Thanks.

Cabin Fever
03-13-2009, 08:15
Marmot Precip seems to be all the rage. I have a North Face Hyvent jacket and Columbia pants that have their own pack pocket. I also use the REI version of an OR Seattle Sombrero. Works for me.

kanga
03-13-2009, 09:14
hey, eman. talk to roots about her dri ducks.

Skidsteer
03-13-2009, 09:57
Eman, I think I've got a pair of the pants you're looking for. I'll check the size tonight and PM you.

EMAN
03-13-2009, 13:55
Thanks folks. Kind of reviewed all these items including the Frogg Toggs. They all have bad joojoo written about them. I've been pretty tough on my set and they've held up OK. Sure, after 4 or 5 years they're showing wear but there is still no open wounds on the things. I can find the Bibb suit but I made a trip to Bass Pro to check the new stuff out and I'd swear it's heavier. Doesn't seem to want to be indelicately crammed and stuffed the way I treat the current set.
Yeah I know...wah!

SGT Rock
03-13-2009, 14:21
Used provent pants (Frogg Togg knock offs) for years. They died on day 1 of the thru-hike attempt. I replaced them with some expensive marmont pants that worked - but I liked provent better. Last week I got me some new frogg togg pants.

datachomper
03-13-2009, 14:26
I really like my Precip gear. It doesn't seem nearly as hot and sticky as my EMS rain gear.

Summit
03-13-2009, 15:46
I've got the Marmot Precip jacket and pants. They aren't miracle sweat preventers, but they do a good job of keeping rain, wind, and cold out. With the jacket's armpit zips, and wearing the right under layer, you should be able to do strenuous hiking without excessive sweating. The pants only have the bottom leg zips for putting on / taking off over boots, so you'll likely sweat pretty heavy below the waist with them. I like the pants more for in camp cold evenings where sweating is not an issue.