PDA

View Full Version : shelter question

Bear Cables
03-12-2009, 17:53
On the section of Newfound Gap to Fontana which shelters are the better shelters and which have the more reliable water sources. There are a few quite close together...wondering which to reserve.

Kanati
03-12-2009, 19:28
Derek Knob shelter has a great water source, a piped spring. Was flowing well last August. Just follow the blue blaze.

Happy hiking. :sun

Kanati
03-12-2009, 19:29
And, it is a very nice shelter.....

bulldog49
03-13-2009, 09:07
On the section of Newfound Gap to Fontana which shelters are the better shelters and which have the more reliable water sources. There are a few quite close together...wondering which to reserve.

I would reserve Silar Bald and Spence Field Shelters. Both are among the nicer ones in the smokies in very nice locations. Mollies Ridge would be another one if you need three nights. The other choices are Mt Collins, Double Spring, Derrick Knob and Russell Field.
Mt Collins is a bit off trail. Double Spring is a dump. Derrick Knob is ok, not sure if it has been rebuilt with the new design. I avoid Russell because it's close to Cades Cove and is heavily used by horses. The water source is contaminated with horse manure.

Frick Frack
03-13-2009, 09:10
Double Spring is not a "dump", it may be one of the nicest shelters we stayed in from ME to GA. It was redone early fall of 2008 and is excellent! The water source is very good too. Mount Collins is a "dump" as well as Russell Field (real bad). All others are very nice.

SGT Rock
03-13-2009, 09:11
I thought Double Spring got the new look this last summer. I could be wrong.

SGT Rock
03-13-2009, 09:17
Double Spring is not a "dump", it may be one of the nicest shelters we stayed in from ME to GA. It was redone early fall of 2008 and is excellent! The water source is very good too. Mount Collins is a "dump" as well as Russell Field (real bad). All others are very nice.thought so on Double Spring.

Mt Collins is a dump - perpetually muddy. Russell field was fairly ugly when I hiked there in 2007.

Frick Frack
03-13-2009, 09:20
Russell field was fairly ugly when I hiked there in 2007.

It has not changed a bit...in fact it is worse....

You should checkout the "new" Double Springs since you are so close.

Frick Frack
03-13-2009, 09:22

How many days are you planning to hike?

Bear Cables
03-13-2009, 18:07
How many days are you planning to hike?

If we start at Newfound gap, most likely 5 days. We don't rush.

SGT Rock
03-13-2009, 18:17
5 days is a nice easy hike - about 40 miles.

Day 1 Mt collins 4.5 miles

Day 2 Silers Bald 8 miles

Day 3 Spence Field 11.8 miles

Day 4 Birches Campsite 10.8 miles

Day 5 Out to Fontanna. The boundry would be 5.2 miles

Ox97GaMe
03-13-2009, 20:18
The following shelters are slated for renovation projects. Funding has been approved, and work crews are being put on long range calendars.

Mt Collins - Sept 2009
Russell Field - June 2010

There are currently no plans for others through the ATC/SMHC/SMNP long term project plan (through 2017)