PDA

View Full Version : Mashipacong Shelter

jbwood5
05-23-2004, 17:32
I stopped here for a lunch break on the way to High Point Shelter (5/3/04). Shelter is just OK with no picnic table, but has a spiffy port-a-can that is big enough to change clothes in. There was plenty of trail magic by Deperado in the bear box.

steve hiker
05-23-2004, 18:13
Anything like Vietcong Shelter?

DirtyBird
05-25-2004, 11:44
Hello eveyone,

Just wanted to put up a post here to let you all know that Myself and Tribes are the shelter maintainers for the Meshipacong Shelter. We work for the NY/NJ Trail Conference. If there are any problems we should be aware of, or if anyone needs anything for or at the shelter, please let us know.
I also would like to thank Desperado for all of his help with the care of the shelter and all of the magic he provides to the thrus, always. Although we have never met we do appreciate you help and effort. If you read this and get a chance please contact myself or tribes, we would like to meet you and thank you in person.
Last but not least I would like to wish the best of luck, and health, to all the thru hikers this season. I hope to see some of you this summer in the NY NJ area. Just look for Kermit the frog, he'll be taking a free ride from me.

Yours Truly,

DirtyBird

Minerva
06-10-2004, 16:43
Just got back from a 348 mile section hike from HF to Glenwood Lake, NY. I passed by this shelter around noontime on Monday, June 7th on my way north. It is tick infected. I could see them crawling everywhere, so I didn't stay long. Maybe you could spray the place down with some insecticide. Desperado had left water north 2/10's of a mile at Deckertown Trnpk. The clean privy was a welcome sight.
Cin

Hammock Hanger
06-11-2004, 07:02
I stopped here for a lunch break on the way to High Point Shelter (5/3/04). Shelter is just OK with no picnic table, but has a spiffy port-a-can that is big enough to change clothes in. There was plenty of trail magic by Deperado in the bear box.
I believe (if memory serves me) that this is a picture of that spiffy port-a-can...

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/103/password/0/sort/1/cat/500/page/4

Sue/HH

mooseboy
04-19-2005, 14:54
Stayed here 4/16/2005 on a NJ Section Hike.

It was a very pleasant location at a higher elevation on the ridge, which meant it got more light (a plus in my book). The solar privy was very spiffy, and Desperado had left lots of trail magic for thru-hikers in the bear box.

The biggest down side was no water, and I didn't see any at Deckertown Rd. the next day either. Make sure to cart some water up here, since there isn't any for several miles (unless you feel like detouring off the trail).

I didn't notice any ticks like Minerva mentioned. Hopefully they are gone now.

Even though this shelter is close to a road, it seems to be a less-used one. I got a good night's sleep here.

Smile
04-19-2005, 15:16
Does this type of privy have a 'brand name", in other words, was it purchased from a company? Would like that info ;-)

ELi
04-28-2005, 14:06
Stayed here 4/16/2005 on a NJ Section Hike.

The biggest down side was no water, and I didn't see any at Deckertown Rd. the next day either. Make sure to cart some water up here, since there isn't any for several miles (unless you feel like detouring off the trail).

Was the water pump at Deckertown just not turned on for the season perhaps? I'm doing a section hike this weekend (4/29-5/1/05), and was counting on that water supply at Deckertown...

mooseboy
04-28-2005, 18:38
Well, I didn't look for it very long... but a Southbound hiker had just passed Deckertown Rd. when he sat down at Mashipacong for supper, and didn't find water either. On top of that, the 2005 AT Thru-hikers' Companion states, "No water." Generally if there's water within 0.5 mi. of a shelter, they include it.

ELi
04-28-2005, 19:29
That's weird- the NJ A.T. guide book I have from the NYNJTC says "water from pump at Deckertown Tpk."

There IS NO water at Mashipacong Shelter ITSELF; the pump is supposed to be where the A.T. crosses Deckertown Tpk. (just making sure we're talking about the same thing.)

Alligator
04-28-2005, 21:09
I did that section of NJ last summer. When I crossed the road there at Deckertown TPK, I ran into Desperado, a trail angel. The pump was no longer there, it had been removed. If I remember correctly he said it was the second time it had been removed over the years and that the well was contaminated. He had been leaving water close to the Mashipacong Shelter, but I wouldn't count on this.

ELi
04-29-2005, 06:21
Thanks! I'm just glad I found out NOT to count on that pump at Deckertown as a refill site. Thanks for the info- I'm heading out the door now to meet the crew at the trailhead!

neo
04-29-2005, 06:28
i got water left by trail angels down the trail near the road,also there was trail goodys :cool: neo

jamarshall
05-01-2005, 17:42
Just passed through this week, nearest water is about a mile away on the Iris Trail. There's a sign for it at the intersection with the AT if you're coming in from the north.

Fortunately, we had teenagers in the shelter who were willing to carry water just for something to do - gotta love it!

-Joyce

ELi
05-03-2005, 17:41
Just passed through this week, nearest water is about a mile away on the Iris Trail. There's a sign for it at the intersection with the AT if you're coming in from the north.

Fortunately, we had teenagers in the shelter who were willing to carry water just for something to do - gotta love it!

-Joyce
Yeah- that's where we got water from. Good, running, close source.

That privy is cool- except when the sun isn't bright enuff to operate the solar cells- then it smells WORSE than alot of the privies I've been in. That thing needs to be emptied. BAD.

NJHiker
07-19-2005, 18:43
Deckerton Pike water pump was shut down in 1998 due to contamination (Giardia and bacteria). There's a spring about 5/8ths of a mile north on the Iris (Red blaze) trail. Desperado, Dirty and crew leave water and often soda just off the AT near the shelter...check the log book for it's location. Although the bear box gets raided by locals from time to time....they only seem to take the cookies and candy the Angels leave for thru's...sugar addicts, it seems. I've replenished what I can, when I can.

Having met both DirtyBird and Desperado, they do an amazing job of maintaining this and several other shelters in Stokes. I've seen Desperado at Brink Rd, Gren Anderson and Mashipicong (no, it's nothing like Mei Cong or VietCong)...

I met Dirty at the Rutherford Shelter last year. You and your guys are great, and many thanks for all your efforts.

Air Head
07-31-2005, 10:20
This shelter looked really promising, but it was closed due to bear activity when my friend and I ran into it July 29 '05. Just a bit of warning for anyone who gets this. You'll probably have to go to the Rutherford Shelter a little further up the AT. A shame too; that shelter was nothing compared to this one.

A-Train
08-02-2005, 12:28
The shelter is open again for business! and now has a picnic table

TDale
08-02-2005, 13:39
Talk about an encounter that would make you scream like a little girl:

Tuesday, August 2, 2005 By LYNN OLANOFF

Herald Staff Writer

MONTAGUE — A bear bit a sleeping camper and tried to drag him away from a shelter along the Appalachian Trail at High Point State Park last month, state officials said Monday. The bear was killed Friday after becoming ensnared in a trap at the same campsite, officials said.

The male camper, whose name has not been released, was sleeping with a group around 6:30 a.m. on July 13 at the Mashipacong Shelter when the bear bit him on the leg and attempted to drag both him and his sleeping bag, said Karen Hershey, a spokeswoman for the state Department of Environmental Protection.

The bear left "marks" on the camper, Hershey said, but would not release details of his injuries Monday.

State officials learned of the incident from a High Point State Park ranger on July 21, Hershey said. The spokeswoman said the late notification combined with a weeklong investigation into the incident was the reason for delayed public notification.

The State Division of Fish and Wildlife set a trap for the bear Wednesday at the shelter, the campsite on the Appalachian Trail in Montague where the July 13 incident occurred, Hershey said. The shelter is near Deckertown Turnpike in the southeast corner of the park close to the Wantage border.

The 152-pound, 5-year-old female bear caught in the trap Friday was later identified as the same bear who bit the camper, Hershey said. She did not say how the bear was identified.

"The Division (of Fish and Wildlife) was confident it caught the offending bear," she said.

DEP Press Director Elaine Makatura said the department does not release the names of people involved in bear incidents to "protect (their) anonymity."

The Mashipacong Shelter and nearby sections of the Appalachian Trail were closed for a few days during the investigation. They have since been reopened.

High Point State Park Superintendent John Keator referred a call Monday inquiring about the incident to the DEP press office.
http://www.njherald.com/307207592292689.php

adagio
08-20-2005, 22:34
Does this type of privy have a 'brand name", in other words, was it purchased from a company? Would like that info ;-)
The brand is Clivus, they are used in many places. NJ is planning on installing them in other locations as well.

adagio
08-20-2005, 22:44
Hello eveyone,

Just wanted to put up a post here to let you all know that Myself and Tribes are the shelter maintainers for the Meshipacong Shelter. We work for the NY/NJ Trail Conference. If there are any problems we should be aware of, or if anyone needs anything for or at the shelter, please let us know.
I also would like to thank Desperado for all of his help with the care of the shelter and all of the magic he provides to the thrus, always. Although we have never met we do appreciate you help and effort. If you read this and get a chance please contact myself or tribes, we would like to meet you and thank you in person.
Last but not least I would like to wish the best of luck, and health, to all the thru hikers this season. I hope to see some of you this summer in the NY NJ area. Just look for Kermit the frog, he'll be taking a free ride from me.

Yours Truly,

DirtyBird

Trail magic as defined as leaving food and goodies in bear boxes and shelters is forbidden in NJ due to to the large and active bear population. For the safety of both hikers and bears,the NYNJ Trail Conference encourages all to follow this policy. Certainly, passing out cold sodas and food to hikers is encouraged but please do not leave food anywhere on the trail.

nails
10-03-2005, 11:08
Does anyone know if the stream at the Iris Trail is running. It's been very dry in NJ and I'm doing a section hike in November. I was hoping to use it as a water source.

whcobbs
11-16-2005, 12:27
I briefly visited Mashipacong shelter the morning of Nov 5, having stayed the night at the Rutherford Shelter and hiked S along the AT. Two hikers and their spaniel had spent a comfortable night. Alas, as they pointed out, the privy was unusable. The seat was heavily smeared and the trash can was full and overflowing with garbage over most of the privy floor. I marched on toward Sunrise Mountain, where there is a well-maintained pit toilet at the parking lot.
Walt

BigToe
06-26-2006, 19:44
I stayed at this shelter on 6/20/06. It was really a nice experience. It has no water, but I knew that and packed more than enough in. It's on a ridge and had a gentle breeze blowing so the mosquitos were practically non-existent. Didn't find any ticks on me. There's a generous tenting area with great trees for my hammock. Bear boxes are new and in good condition. The privy is fit for a king, was clean and not smelly, and is huge! It even has a trash can and an alcohol cleanser dispenser. It was the nicest shelter I stayed in on my section hike.

According to multiple register entries, the teenager who had his leg bitten by the bear had crackers in his sleeping bag - most of the blame for the incident and destruction of the bear is put on him. I didn't get a bear visit that night but the register had lots of non-threatening bear sightings at this and other NJ shelters.

nails
11-08-2006, 20:32
I stayed at the Mashipacong Shelter last night (11/7/2006). The shelter was very clean and in good shape, it even had a broom. It rained all night long and I only saw one small leak. The privy was in good shape and the bear box looked new. The lack of a water source in the area is a concern, I dropped off water there before I started the hike. Overall I give the shelter high praise.

the onondaga kid
06-11-2007, 14:28
Stayed at shelter June 9, 2007. Got a good night's sleep, enjoyed the five star privy (lots of TP, but out of alcohol cleanser, but now I'm nitpicking). The registery was a bit messed up, and we didn't find any water around, but the grass was short (ie no tick problems), and the tenting area up the iris trail looked really nice.
-The Onondaga Kid

sgc22
10-25-2007, 21:29
I'm about to head up to the Meshipacong Shelter shelter the weekend of 11/3-4. Does anyone know the current water situation? Has a new well been built, or is water still dropped, or do I have to go down to the Iris trail?

Thanks.

nails
10-26-2007, 08:00
I was advised about a year ago that the nearest well, which was about 1/4 mile north on the trail near the parking area, was contaminated. I suppose whatever contaminated the well is still contaminating the ground water, therefore preventing a new source in that area. I think the Iris Trail is your best bet. But I haven't been there in a year, maybe things have changed?

fish the banks
05-29-2009, 18:27
shelter was in good shape it now has a picnic table , privy was the worst smell in the world , it has a very nice lawn that's been mowed recently, someone left a few gallon jugs of water which a sobo got sick from drinking it and he thinks that maybe the kind person didn't rinse them out .

GalHikingTheGap
04-07-2010, 18:59
My NY-NJ guide says that 1/10th of a mile south the A/T joins a woods road. The blue-blazed Hoeferlin Trail leads along the road east 0.3 mile to the headquarters of Wawayanda State Park (where there is apparently H2O at park headquarters.) Anyone know any different?

L

GalHikingTheGap
04-07-2010, 19:00
Wait, wrong shelter **dugh**

sasquatch2014
04-08-2010, 21:33
It is dry at the shelter. When myself and a few others rolled through there a year ago we were lucky enough to meet up with a fellow from here on WB that brought a few gallons of water in his car and we hauled them up the shelter.

Green Lantern
03-25-2011, 13:05
I read through this thread, but most of it is five years or more old. Is the water situation still the same, and is the nearest water here"

"There's a spring about 5/8ths of a mile north on the Iris (Red blaze) trail."

Would appreciate an update as I am starting a 50 mile section hike to DWG starting from Ferguson Rd on Monday.

oopsdy
06-05-2011, 23:17
Hey:
anyone have any updates to share on this shelter?
I'm doing my first 3 day hike passing through here mid-June...

Dogwood
06-06-2011, 01:25
A bear bit a sleeping camper and tried to drag him away from a shelter along the Appalachian Trail at High Point State Park last month, state officials said Monday.

That's what happens when you sleep with gummy bears in your pockets!

The bear was killed Friday after becoming ensnared in a trap at the same campsite, officials said.

And so the story ends in typical fashion.

There's a spring about 5/8ths of a mile north on the Iris (Red blaze) trail. Desperado, Dirty and crew leave water and often soda just off the AT near the shelter...check the log book for it's location. through. - NJhiker

YUP! Exactly as I recall last time I was there!

The partly open grassy field in front of the shelter can be tick central!

NJ=ticks! + Jerseylicious reality shows! What a way to advertise the "Garden State!"

oopsdy
06-06-2011, 07:10
thanks - so long as "Mob Wives" and Snookie et al steer clear...

snorz
06-06-2011, 07:38
water situation is the same. *Alf* drops water off ocassionally. I don`t believe that bear attack was recent! I believe that occurred a few years ago.

oopsdy
06-07-2011, 08:55
yes - i got a little nervous and did a google search...
ended up spending 20 minutes reading about attacks and sightings
from all over withing the past 8 years...a great lunch time activity!

thanks you guys!

BigHodag
06-07-2011, 10:57
Just section hiked past Mashipacong Shelter in early May.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=345667

While there is no water officially, ALF had hiked 13 gallons in to the shelter. There was a gallon jug on the shelter floor and 13 more in blue jugs in the bear box. Personally, you should plan to bring adequate water with you and consider any water you find at the shelter "trail magic".

If headed north, there is water crossing the trail about halfway to the Rutherford shelter blue blaze and also at the bottom of the Rutherford blue-blaze. Next water after Rutherford is the fountain beside the park HQ.

If passing by NOBO, note the AT takes a sharp left at the shelter, follows the south wall, and descends sharply downhill to the road and parking area.

Good hammocking area just down the fire road between the privy and bear box.

cpzuroff
06-07-2011, 20:02
I am not the maintainer for the shelter, but I am the maintainer (since April 2010) from there to Sunrise Mountain.
-
The shelter is the same small structure it has always been. The roof is leak-free. There has been a shiny new privy near it for more than a year now. The new bear box is nice. There is no water source there.
-
I've been keeping 2 blue six gallon water containers filled in the bear box for the past year (in warm weather). I try to fill them at least once a week. I work within a 20 minute drive from there (during the school year). Unfortunately, I live over 1.5 hours away from there. So I keep them filled as well as I can.
-
I have put in over 150 hours working on the trail (and some help from my friends Donna & Jim). I've pushed back the growth several feet from the center of the trail. I still have 0.2 miles in the center to fully clear, but it is passable.
-
Water sources in that region are no so great. There's beaver dam half-way between Sunrise Mtn and the Mashipacong Shelter, but the water is very stinky, but is there year-round. There is a lake to the west of the shelter (follow Deckertown Rd 1.0 mile).
-
There is a bear that wanders near the shelter for over a year now. It runs away when it sees me, but the trail journal has entrees from others it is not afraid of.
-
The people who maintain the shelter are up there very frequently. I often see their entrees in the trail journal. So it is very well maintained.
-
"Alf" GA-ME '07 - '09

cpzuroff
06-07-2011, 20:05
If passing by NOBO, note the AT takes a sharp left at the shelter, follows the south wall, and descends sharply downhill to the road and parking area.

Good hammocking area just down the fire road between the privy and bear box.
-
Many hikers have mistaken the fireroad as the AT. I added a yellow sign on the fireroad that says "THIS IS NOT THE A.T." to remedy that situation.
-
"Alf"

oopsdy
06-08-2011, 07:17
ah, great information - thank you VERY much - I had planned on carrying water in...
Can't wait!

snorz
06-08-2011, 23:08
I will try to drop some water tommorrow,maybe some ice?

Panzer1
06-08-2011, 23:50
yea, I'd also like to thank Desperado for the trail magic he did for me back in 2001 during the heat wave. Way to go D. :)

Panzer

Panzer1
06-08-2011, 23:52
I will try to drop some water tommorrow,maybe some ice?

shhhhhh, don't say that too loud. There's some trail maintainer who has been swiping water jugs.

Panzer

Panzer1
06-09-2011, 01:43
its a weird name for a shelter.

Panzer

Dogwood
06-09-2011, 03:53
I think Mashipacong means big or great pond. I vaguley recall hearing a rumor that their used to be a pond near the shleter but it was filled in. I think the word may be of Lanape Native Indian origin.

Dogwood
06-09-2011, 03:54
That's Lenape Native Indian origin.

oopsdy
06-09-2011, 06:04
hikers up there today will sure be happy for water!!!!

cpzuroff
06-09-2011, 07:02
shhhhhh, don't say that too loud. There's some trail maintainer who has been swiping water jugs.

Panzer
That's not entirely true. The shelter maintainers did remove the assortment of left over 1-gallon containers up there. They were taking up space in the bear box.
-
The shelter maintainers have left my blue 6/7-gallon containers alone. I have four of these, two are up there at a time. If I lug up a new one and find that the two there are full, then I'll leave all three there because I lugged the darn thing up there.
-
I have high respect for the shelter maintainers. They go up there often and they do a good job. The ridge-runners pass through there pretty often as well.

cpzuroff
06-09-2011, 07:03

Panzer
That's not entirely true. The shelter maintainers did remove the assortment of left over 1-gallon containers up there. They were taking up space in the bear box.
-
The shelter maintainers have left my blue 6/7-gallon containers alone. I have four of these, two are up there at a time. If I lug up a new one and find that the two there are full, then I'll leave all three there because I lugged the darn thing up there.
-
I have high respect for the shelter maintainers. They go up there often and they do a good job. The ridge-runners pass through there pretty often as well.
-
"Alf"

snorz
06-09-2011, 18:18
I dropped two gallons today,left for awhile ,came back to one jug that was unopened.Took the empty with me.Met about a dozen thrus between Mashipicong and High pt.

oopsdy
06-21-2011, 16:57
we stayed at the shelter this past Sunday night - there is a stream within a half mile of the shelter that was noted by a nobo in the
shelter log book...really pleasant stay - not too buggy, only one other hiker who was passing a zero day (Whisper)
He had refilled and purified a few of the empty gallon containers he found there the previous day...

Rusty Nail
09-11-2011, 17:35
Stayed here last night. Didn't need to use the water but thanks to ALF for lugging up.

LIhikers
02-27-2012, 23:56
My wife and I took a lunch break at the shelter on 2/23/12.
The shelter and all of it's amenities were in good condition.
We appreciated the picnic table.
The bear box looked to be almost new.
Thanks to the maintainers for keeping the place in good condition!

Highway Man
11-13-2012, 12:42
I met Al, the trail/shelter maintainer in the afternoon last Sunday, about one mile north of Mashipacong Shelter. He was busy working on the felled trees on the trail. He had worked in the last two days in the woods clearing up the trail. He also had 5 gallon water cache in the bear box, that I believe he kept filling up in the past summer. From just a hundred yards north of the shelter till the road crossing, there're very nice sections of stone steps recently built by him and other crew. The trail section Al is responsible for from Sunrise Mt. to Mashipacong Shelter was almost cleared of the felledtrees except for a few big ones with diameters up to 2 Feet. A very dedicated trail maintainer, and a genuine thoughtful person. Thank you, Al, for your care!

Talking about the water source near the shelter, at the red dot trail junction about 20 minute walking north of the shelter, turn left if Nbouding, go down for 3 minutes to the gully, there's a good stream that would be running most of the year.

RED-DOG
11-13-2012, 12:45
What do you expect a mansion.

trinzushi
09-04-2013, 02:46
Stayed here over the weekend. Things were in good condition and there was plenty of water in the bear box. Thank you to whoever maintains the shelter and it's grounds.. the place is wonderful!

loriet
09-06-2017, 14:01
Hi Alf,
I camped at the Mashipacong Shelter last week and really appreciated the water left in the bear box! Also, the privy was well maintained. Thank you so much!!!!

jfarrell04
09-06-2017, 14:30

Mashipacong Shelter on a sunny morning in October 2010.