PDA

View Full Version : for anyone who has gone from the trail to new york city

guitboxdude25
03-12-2009, 21:37
What is the best way to get from the trail to N.Y.C and how would I go about doing that?

Cookerhiker
03-12-2009, 21:47
Here are 2 options for you:

1. Metro North (http://mta.info/mnr/html/mnrmap.htm) train to Pawling or on weekends only directly to the AT train station a few miles north of Pawling.

2. Bus to Bear Mountain (http://www.coachusa.com/shortline/ss.details.asp?action=Lookup&c1=New+York&s1=NY&c2=Bear+Mountain&s2=NY&resultId=194410&order=&dayFilter=&scheduleChoice=&sitePageName=%2Fshortline%2Findex%2Easp&cbid=116432830496).

There are a myriad of other possibilities which you can find by using Google. Trains run to Arden near where the AT crosses Rt. 17 and buses run to Greenwood Lake. If you're doing a long distance hike, you could take a bus to the Delaware Water Gap and hike through NJ.

Are you talking about 1 day or a weekend or a longer hike?

Ender
03-12-2009, 21:51
New Jersey Transit also has trains that run on the weekends on the west side of Harriman State Park... look for the schedule for the Harriman station. Very quick ride in from there... the station is a little off the trail, but very easy to get to. There's also a connecting trail (the Sapphire Trail I think?) that goes right to the station if you want to avoid the roadwalk and stick to trails.

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainSchedulesTo

LIhikers
03-12-2009, 21:51
It depends where you are on the trail.
Browse through this (http://www.nynjtc.org/trails/no-car.html) page for some of the myriad of possibilities that Cookerhiker mentioned.

Lion King
03-12-2009, 22:16
Big Guy, myself and one other hiker caught it out near Vernon NJ to see David Letterman...it was pretty cheap for a round trip, we even met a couple from Brooklyn while drinking at a Pub who let us sleep in their living room.

Amazing

guitboxdude25
03-12-2009, 22:21
Ah im sorry, im doing a long distance hike, georgia to new york city, the airport specifically, I dont even know where that is, ive lived in florida all my life.

Compass
03-12-2009, 22:36
Here are 2 options for you:

1. Metro North (http://mta.info/mnr/html/mnrmap.htm) train to Pawling or on weekends only directly to the AT train station a few miles north of Pawling.

2. Bus to Bear Mountain (http://www.coachusa.com/shortline/ss.details.asp?action=Lookup&c1=New+York&s1=NY&c2=Bear+Mountain&s2=NY&resultId=194410&order=&dayFilter=&scheduleChoice=&sitePageName=%2Fshortline%2Findex%2Easp&cbid=116432830496).

There are a myriad of other possibilities which you can find by using Google. Trains run to Arden near where the AT crosses Rt. 17 and buses run to Greenwood Lake. If you're doing a long distance hike, you could take a bus to the Delaware Water Gap and hike through NJ.

Are you talking about 1 day or a weekend or a longer hike?

I hope you have a trail guide book of some type.
1. Metro North is at about 1430 miles fom Springer Mtn. Georgia.
(I used this at the end of my last long section)
2. Bear Mtn. is at about 1387 miles from Springer.

Compass
03-12-2009, 22:44
For option 1 its the blue line 5th or 6th from the end of the line. The trail goes right past a stop that has service on weekends or 3 mile road walk to Pawling for a scheduled stop about every 2 hours. I called for details and tips like to save five bucks buy your ticket at the station if the station has a ticket machine. They were very helpful.

Ender
03-12-2009, 22:44
Ah im sorry, im doing a long distance hike, georgia to new york city, the airport specifically, I dont even know where that is, ive lived in florida all my life.

Once you get into the city, the airports aren't too hard to get to, though not exactly direct either. There's three airports here, two in NYC and one in Jersey, so it depends on which one. Let me know and I can give you directions via public transportation, etc etc etc...

sasquatch2014
03-12-2009, 22:56
If it happens to be during the week and not the weekend give me a shout and I'll give you a lift from the trail to the train. I maintain the section of trail from the AT train stop south to the top of the hill. A lot of hikers take the train in to the city just to see it and blow off some steam. It's a nice change from all the quiet and serenity of the trail.

Johnny Thunder
03-13-2009, 03:02
If you're on such a long section you could probably go ahead and book your return in advance...just makes sure you'd make it to some place between Duncannon, PA and Kent, CT before needing to pull the cord on the hike and head for an NYC airport. There are predictable ways in/out of New York from many points in between those two towns.

By doing it this way you'd offer yourself maximum flexibility in your schedule. Obviously, the closer you are to New York the easier it will be, but I could list over a dozen ways into the city from those points.

Johnny Thunder
03-13-2009, 03:07
Off the top of my head...

Duncannon (Harrisburg Amtrak/Bus to NYC)

Port Clinton/Hamburg, PA (Bus to Reading then on to Philly or NYC)

Delaware Water Gap (Shuttle to Stroudsburg then bus to NYC)

Culver's Gap (local bus or taxi to NJ Transit train into NYC)

Highpoint/Unionville/Vernon (local bus routs coordinate with NJ Transit to NYC or train from Port Jervis)

Greenwood Lake (Bus to NYC)

At Rt 17 hang a left and walk 1 mile to the Arden train station (to NYC)

Weekend buses in/out of Harriman

Bus from Bear Mtn Bridge (picks up near the zoo)

Train on the East side of the Hudson...I came back this way...there's a nice Irish bar at the station and then a cab ride to/from the trail.

Pawling/AT station on the Metro North Harlem line (train to NYC)

There's bus service in Kent.

I'm missing something in there...I know it.

mweinstone
03-13-2009, 05:33
johnney you never ceese to amaze my trail friends i gave you when i created you out of a need for directions. thank you brother.

mweinstone
03-13-2009, 05:35
i have created many a hiker. but you are my best work johnney thunder. i allways ment to go back and fix ms.but the next logical step was to create you.

dperry
03-13-2009, 07:10
Couple of corrections/additions to Johnny Thunder's post above:

--There is no train station in Arden. There is one in Harriman, which is about 2 miles from the AT. As Ender notes, there is a side trail directly from the AT to the station.
--According to the Martz Trailways web site, the "Stroudsburg" bus station is actually in Delaware Water Gap. It's probably about a mile walk from where the Trail passes through town.
--The train on the East side of the Hudson is the Hudson line, operated by Metro-North and serving Grand Central Terminal in the city. The closest stop to the AT is the Manitou stop; however, this is only served by a couple of trains each day on weekends and holidays. The stops on either side of Manitou which have regular service are Peekskill and Garrison. These are both quite a bit farther away from the AT.

Also, the NYNJTC has a new web site. The page on public transportation can be found here:
http://www.nynjtc.org/content/you-dont-need-car

i have created many a hiker. but you are my best work johnney thunder. i allways ment to go back and fix ms.but the next logical step was to create you.Sheesh, guy gets engaged and he thinks he's God all of a sudden. . .;)

4eyedbuzzard
03-13-2009, 07:26
i have created many a hiker. ... i allways ment to go back and fix ms....

So you're the one responsible?

The Solemates
03-13-2009, 09:38
the best way is to have a friend pick you up and take you in...thats what we did..:)

kyhipo
03-13-2009, 09:58
I went a couple of timesfrom bear mt,into port authority.ky

Bumshandler
03-13-2009, 10:10
My suggestion is to first figure out which airport you want to fly out of; Newark (EWR), LaGuardia (LGA) or JFK. Then figure out where you want to hike to.

One of, if not your cheapest public transit option would be to hike to the Bear Mountain/Pawling area and take Metro North to Grand Central Station. Then take the subway to the JFK airtrain. Total cost; $11.40 for Metro North (Pawling to GC, off-peak, web-purchased) + $2.00 for the Subway (transfers are free) + $5 for the JFK train = $18.40.

I'm sure some of the NYC veterans will politely :D inform both of us of other, better, cheaper ways (other than having someone drive you).

Gaiter
03-13-2009, 10:20
went from the city to delaware water gap, fall 07, don't recall how much it cost though, wasn't a bad ride

Old Grouse
03-13-2009, 11:12
If you should be planning to stop at High Point NJ, your'e much better off taking the bus from Port Jervis to NYC. The train service is almost nonexistent except during commuter rush hours. Plus the bus stop is closer to the trail.

Cookerhiker
03-13-2009, 11:19
You may wish to consider taking the train (AMTRAK (http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/HomePage)) home to Florida. It's more comfortable than flying and probably cheaper for a one-way fare. Dealing with luggage i.e. your backpack is easier and you don't have the hassle or expense of getting to the airport.

Johnny Thunder
03-13-2009, 12:30
The "harriman" train station at 17 is further than the "Arden valley" station...which is little more than a park/ride station for a train. It says "Arden valley" on the road sign when you pass the train and there's a metronorth logo on the sign. So's I assumed that's what it was called. Anywho, head North up 17 when your cross it (that's trail left as you hike north) and you'll be there in minutes.

mikec
03-13-2009, 12:40
I'm surprised that no one suggested taking the Long Path from the AT into NYC

Ender
03-13-2009, 12:49
I'm surprised that no one suggested taking the Long Path from the AT into NYC

There's really no camping for the last 40 some-odd miles into the city on that trail, so it's not a great option unless you have car support through that section.

dperry
03-13-2009, 23:38
My suggestion is to first figure out which airport you want to fly out of; Newark (EWR), LaGuardia (LGA) or JFK. Then figure out where you want to hike to.

One of, if not your cheapest public transit option would be to hike to the Bear Mountain/Pawling area and take Metro North to Grand Central Station. Then take the subway to the JFK airtrain. Total cost; $11.40 for Metro North (Pawling to GC, off-peak, web-purchased) + $2.00 for the Subway (transfers are free) + $5 for the JFK train = $18.40.

I'm sure some of the NYC veterans will politely :D inform both of us of other, better, cheaper ways (other than having someone drive you).

Also, be warned that MTA is planning fare hikes for their railroads. See their website for more details.

YoungMoose
04-14-2009, 14:58
why would you want to go to the city after being in the woods? i hate nyc.

Gaiter
04-14-2009, 15:26
i hate nyc.

good for you, not everyone hates the city

le loupe
04-14-2009, 15:54
why would you want to go to the city after being in the woods? i hate nyc.

give us a break, the guy asked a question--

What do people in Westchester do, btw? no doubt daddy's job in the city provides you with a cushy place from which to be ideological.

YoungMoose
04-14-2009, 16:24
good for you, not everyone hates the city I know that everyone doesnt hate it. whats your point.

give us a break, the guy asked a question--

What do people in Westchester do, btw? no doubt daddy's job in the city provides you with a cushy place from which to be ideological. I know but everyone already answered it. am i allowed to put my opinion up??. Also my "daddys" job isnt in the city. its 5 minutes away from my house which is in northern westchester. And why am i being ideological. Im just saying that i would rather be in the mountians and woods then being in the bustling city.

elangomat
04-14-2009, 17:02
The AT train station in Pawling operates on weekends only. Hike about 2 miles south of that point to the Pawling Station for service all week long. www.mta.info (http://www.mta.info) east of Hudson (Harlem line)

mudcap
04-14-2009, 17:57
I know that everyone doesnt hate it. whats your point.

I know but everyone already answered it. am i allowed to put my opinion up??. Also my "daddys" job isnt in the city. its 5 minutes away from my house which is in northern westchester. And why am i being ideological. Im just saying that i would rather be in the mountians and woods then being in the bustling city.

Like I have mentioned before...maybe you are not mature enough for this site. Do you have parental guidance when you post ?:rolleyes:

YoungMoose
04-14-2009, 18:02
Like I have mentioned before...maybe you are not mature enough for this site. Do you have parental guidance when you post ?:rolleyes:have you looked at my other posts? Also my parents are supporting me to be on this site. This is a great reason why i brought up that point a few weeks back about putting up a teen forum. That idea was shot down so we dont need to talk about it. But to me i feel like you you doing care about my opinion just becuase im young.

sly dog
04-14-2009, 18:26
But outward, I've seen posts where you recommend what items someone should buy but you don't even have one yourself...ie a sleeping bag. How can you give advice on something you don't even own?

YoungMoose
04-14-2009, 18:50
because ive tried it on sly. i dont know what ie means. but i have the cats meow from northface. thats what i give advice about. I also say to people that the low alpine is good. I havent gotten that yet but i have tried it on with 30 pounds on becuase i wanted to see how it was comfortable and it was good. thats why i talked about it. What items do i say thats good but i dont have. Arent you able to talk about gear that you like. And say its good even though you dont have it. I have seen people do that

sly dog
04-14-2009, 18:57
Try on and use for multi day trips is a big difference my friend.

Feral Bill
04-14-2009, 20:32
Like I have mentioned before...maybe you are not mature enough for this site. Do you have parental guidance when you post ?:rolleyes:

There are plenty of immature posts from people of all ages.

sasquatch2014
04-15-2009, 14:01
Ok get back to the OP. Give the kid a break. Also just because it shows Westchester County it does not mean all million dollar plus homes and trust fund babies. There are plenty of those but also some tough hard working blue collar areas. There are plenty of adults who give crap recommendations with out any real info to back it up from as well. The main difference is if you ride them as hard as outward has been getting ridden lately they would tell you to blow it out your ass. At least the kid is mature enough not to go that route.

As far as getting to the city there is also a train stop up in Wingdale Ny north of where the AT crosses and only 1/2 mile from a motel where hikers stay from time to time.

YoungMoose
04-15-2009, 14:23
Ok get back to the OP. Give the kid a break. Also just because it shows Westchester County it does not mean all million dollar plus homes and trust fund babies. There are plenty of those but also some tough hard working blue collar areas. There are plenty of adults who give crap recommendations with out any real info to back it up from as well. The main difference is if you ride them as hard as outward has been getting ridden lately they would tell you to blow it out your ass. At least the kid is mature enough not to go that route.

As far as getting to the city there is also a train stop up in Wingdale Ny north of where the AT crosses and only 1/2 mile from a motel where hikers stay from time to time. thanks. i also talked to my dad about if we can drive him to the trains station and he also said that he wouldnt mind. so if you are interested in that we can make a time to meet or you can call and we would come. we would bring you to peekskill train station. they have trains going to the city non stop all day if your interested pm me and we will talk

CrumbSnatcher
04-15-2009, 14:24
Don't Ask For Onions On Your Hotdog!!!

YoungMoose
04-15-2009, 14:25
Don't Ask For Onions On Your Hotdog!!! hehe only nathens hot dogs. they are amazing

Gray Blazer
04-15-2009, 14:28
How do you get to Carnegie Hall?

Feral Bill
04-15-2009, 14:36
Practice.....

CrumbSnatcher
04-15-2009, 14:39
Practice.....
good one:D:D:D

YoungMoose
04-15-2009, 15:34
How do you get to Carnegie Hall?just get a taxi and say carnegie hall. all taxi drivers know those famouse places. I went there one time to a concert and the sound was amazing.

elangomat
04-15-2009, 16:47
From Grand Central you can take the 4,5, or 6 subway uptown to 59th Street. Walk south two blocks, then west 4 blocks.

mrc237
04-15-2009, 16:58
There's really no camping for the last 40 some-odd miles into the city on that trail, so it's not a great option unless you have car support through that section.

LP is a good option IMO. I've hiked it a few times (N&S) and found stealth sites easy enough. Not all that risky. Cross right over the GWB and you're in town. Just another option.

Ender
04-15-2009, 17:04
hehe only nathens hot dogs. they are amazing

Nathan's are from NYC... not hating NYC so much now, are ya?? :p

(kidding) :sun

YoungMoose
04-15-2009, 18:50
hehe i only go down there to eat. by me there is no places with good food.

Feral Bill
04-15-2009, 20:37
good one:D:D:D

It's older than dirt, of course.

JAK
04-16-2009, 08:47
If you get caught between the moon and New York city
Best that you can do ......

flemdawg1
04-16-2009, 10:45
just get a taxi and say carnegie hall. all taxi drivers know those famouse places. I went there one time to a concert and the sound was amazing.

You should hear it from the stage.

sasquatch2014
04-16-2009, 14:18
I am trying to recall the hiker but it was a Sobo 07 hiker who after doing the CT challenge and taking a slow day from the CT line to NY 22 took the train in tot he city and just walked all over the place all night. He watched the sunrise from the Brooklyn Bridge and then took a train back out to Pawling and climbed up to Telephone Pioneer Shelter and slept the rest of the day. He said it was one of the best experiences he had from the trail, and it wasn't even on the trail.

Chaco Taco
04-17-2009, 21:14
We stayed down from Harriman last year at the Budget Inn and took a bus into the city. Made it 3 hours before we wanted to get the hell outta there.

Kirby
04-17-2009, 21:25
I stayed with a WB'er.

dperry
04-18-2009, 00:28
The "harriman" train station at 17 is further than the "Arden valley" station...which is little more than a park/ride station for a train. It says "Arden valley" on the road sign when you pass the train and there's a metronorth logo on the sign. So's I assumed that's what it was called. Anywho, head North up 17 when your cross it (that's trail left as you hike north) and you'll be there in minutes.

There may have been a station there once upon a time, but there isn't now. See the schedule here:

http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/planning/schedules/pdf/WoH0409.pdf

Either that, or Arden Valley is for buses. In any event, Harriman is definitely the closest train station to that part of the trail.

kugelschreiber
04-22-2009, 14:31
hey guys, i am moving back to NYC, but i have never taken the train out to the AT before. What would be the best Metro North Line to take and what station to get off at that is close to the trail, but also runs consistently throughout the week? Also, do you know of any good loops that I could do for a 2-4 day trip? I want to be able to get out of the city on my days off and go on 2-4 day trips during the spring/summer/fall. Thanks for the help!

kugelschreiber
04-22-2009, 14:34
hey guys, i am moving back to NYC, but i have never taken the train out to the AT before. What would be the best Metro North Line to take and what station to get off at that is close to the trail, but also runs consistently throughout the week? Also, do you know of any good loops that I could do for a 2-4 day trip? I want to be able to get out of the city on my days off and go on 2-4 day trips during the spring/summer/fall. Thanks for the help!

Also, a combination of train stops would be helpful.. Say if I got off at Manitou on a weekend and then hiked to Pawling for the return trip on a weekday? I don't know if that would work, but it just an example.. Thanks!

Feral Bill
04-22-2009, 14:55
You are in luck. There are 3 or 4 stations on the west side of Harriman state park, and bus service to Bear Mountain. Harriman has numerous loops for a few days hiking, some including parts of the AT. And yes, you can hike from Bear Mountain to Pawling in a few days and catch a commuter train home.

No car needed, or advisable in most parts of the city.