PDA

View Full Version : Any Good Day Hikes Near Stone Mountain?

vaportrails
03-13-2009, 07:17
My husband and I will be going to the Stone Mountain, GA area in a few weeks. We were thinking of hiking up Stone Mountain or on the longer trail around the base. Has anybody done this and how was it?

Is there some better day hikes within a 30-45 min drive from Stone Mountain or Liburn? :confused:

Dances with Mice
03-13-2009, 07:54
My husband and I will be going to the Stone Mountain, GA area in a few weeks. We were thinking of hiking up Stone Mountain or on the longer trail around the base. Has anybody done this and how was it?

Is there some better day hikes within a 30-45 min drive from Stone Mountain or Liburn? :confused:I know someone leading a hike both to the top and around the mountain on the 22nd. PM me if you'd like to join a GATC outing.

mister krabs
03-13-2009, 08:35
Make sure to time your walk up the mountain with sunrise or sunset, the view is spectacular as it's the highest place to the horizon. The 5 mile cherokee trail is nice and wooded with lots of sections along the lake, it's easy, fairly flat and well groomed. You'll probably want to do both. The side trips to the covered bridge, carillon, mill and quarry are interesting. You should be able to go into the village part for free, the food there is pretty good. Riding the duck boats is fun, you'll get a little park history and a ride in the lake. Check out their website to see what will be open, IIRC some things are closed in march. Enjoy your day!

http://stonemountainpark.com/images/maps/hiking/smp_map_hiking_map.gif

Tennessee Viking
03-13-2009, 15:02
It is easy as heck. Very smooth, small grade climb up the rock face trail.

Tallulah Gorge is also another good state park to visit.

Then Cleveland and Helen GA are not too far from Atlanta and Stone Mountain with some the best sections of the AT.

ColdFire
03-14-2009, 07:35
I know someone leading a hike both to the top and around the mountain on the 22nd. PM me if you'd like to join a GATC outing.

DwM, Thank you that would be great! as we will also be up there on the 22nd of March and would love to be involved in another GATC outing. PM sent.

Buckles
03-14-2009, 09:45
A former Atlantan here.

I concur with TN Viking....the trail around Stone Mountain is an easy and nice hike, with great views of the lake and mountain. The wife and I have done it many times, with the Lab. The trail to the summit is not difficult for anyone who gets out and even occasionally hikes.

The closest decent trail to Stone Mountain is Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park. Start at the Information Center. From there, it's about a 1/2 mile and 1000' elevation change to the top of the Kennesaw Mountain (scenic 360' view at the summit). A continuing trail will take you over Little Kennesaw and Pigeon Hill. You can take a loop trail back to the Information Center or do a 180 and go back the way you came. Occasionally, I've run into prospective AT hikers using this trail to test their pack weight and get some vertical up and down.

OPIE
03-25-2009, 19:03
Kennesaw Mtn Battlefield. Great loops, better views, less tourons

Egads
03-25-2009, 20:36
Another led hike around Stone Mountain April 1 http://www.atlantaoutdoorclub.com/events/details.asp?eventid=1518