PDA

View Full Version : footprint needed??

Grinder
03-13-2009, 11:38
I am tenting on this years hike. I have a Shires Virga Tarptent. It has a waterproof floor.

Do I ***need*** a Footprint underneath or is it an optional nice to have thing??

Thank You.

skinewmexico
03-13-2009, 11:52
I always make on just for piece of mind, out of tyvek. It saved the floor of my Lunar Solo last trip.

Frick Frack
03-13-2009, 11:56
I have a MSR Zoid that I have used for over 8 years and have never used a foot print. Even after our SOBO last year the tent shows no sign of wear.

Lone Wolf
03-13-2009, 11:57
I am tenting on this years hike. I have a Shires Virga Tarptent. It has a waterproof floor.

Do I ***need*** a Footprint underneath or is it an optional nice to have thing??

Thank You.

no, not needed. i've tented hundreds of nites. i never use one

Lyle
03-13-2009, 12:19
Kinda like asking, Do I need to wax my car?

No, you don't. Will the finish (floor) last longer if I do? Probably.

skinewmexico
03-13-2009, 15:46
Depends on where you live.

garlic08
03-13-2009, 16:09
Not needed, and for me, not worth it. I got a new Contrail in '07, put over 4000 miles on it, (including plenty of miles in the Sonoran Desert, about the spiniest place I've ever seen) never used a groundsheet, and it still looks like new. Henry can replace the floor if needed for reasonable cost. I think it's worth not carrying the 6 oz Tyvek or whatever for all those miles.

Blissful
03-13-2009, 17:02
You don't need it per say. I used Tyvek sheet though.

Mags
03-13-2009, 17:48
Most newer tents (c. 1995+ !) are strong enough where you do not need a ground cloth. In fact, if you make the groundcloth too big and/or do not set it right, it ends up collecting water UNDER your tent.

I DO use a ground cloth when tarping/cowboy camping...but that's another thread. :)

Summit
03-13-2009, 22:55
if you make the groundcloth too big and/or do not set it right, it ends up collecting water UNDER your tent.Or if the manufacturer makes it too big! I bought the customer Sierra Designs footprint for my Lightning, and if I stake it out the way it was made/designed, that's exactly what happens. I have to not attach it and fold it in about six inches both length-wise and width-wise. Then it works OK. Should have just bought and cut a piece of Tyvak. :rolleyes:

I use a footprint/groundcloth for the simple reason that I'd rather a sharp undiscovered root, stick, whatever have to go through something fairly tough to damage my tent floor. Plus, in real wet conditions your tent floor will stay a little dryer if the groundcloth is set right. Worth six ounces to me.

Tin Man
03-13-2009, 23:17
i have found a vapor barrier is more useful inside the tent rather than outside. any uninvited water collects underneath

Tennessee Viking
03-13-2009, 23:37
I have heard people getting ground cloth from house construction sites. Some use regular tarp liner. Then others using a shower liner.

But if camp on solid dirt, and not on any rocks, roots, branches, or anything that can tear or poke through, then your ok.

Summit
03-14-2009, 10:46
I have heard people getting ground cloth from house construction sites.That is most likely Tyvek . . . good stuff! Get permission from the site foreman or you run the risk of the consequences of breaking the law!

Grinder
03-14-2009, 10:52
thanks guys,

I'm going with the majority and leaving the footprint home.

If there are negative consequences, I'll report back late next month.

Feral Bill
03-14-2009, 11:17
I use one at gravelly car camp sites. Never on the trail.

daddytwosticks
03-14-2009, 11:25
Do you NEED a tent footprint? No. Does it help extent the like of the tent floor? Maybe. Glad you are willing to experiment and keep an open mind. :)

Survivor Dave
06-07-2009, 16:40
Rather than open a new thread, I'll just open this one.

The dilemma I havve is this. I got rid of my Hubba Hubba and toted the Tyvek with it. The floor in the HH is pretty durable. So is the new tent.

I bought a Henry Shires Contrail Tarptent and am really impressed. At 24.5 oz., I didn't expect to have as durable a floor as the HH.

Some folks take the Tyvek to put under their sleeping pads on the inside rather than under the tent. I figure outside will save the tent.

Personally, I'd rather save the 5 oz. of weight and take nothing. The only thing keeping me from it is there will be that one frickin' time that I wished that I had it.........:-?

Grinder
06-07-2009, 16:49
Like a used car lot: location location location!!

I went without. tented half the time with no problems. (Shelters the rest)

daddytwosticks
06-08-2009, 07:51
I've heard the lightweight sil-nylon floors will pass moisture/water if enough body pressure is put upon them AND you are pitched on very wet ground...good luck. :)

garlic08
06-08-2009, 10:10
I've heard the lightweight sil-nylon floors will pass moisture/water if enough body pressure is put upon them AND you are pitched on very wet ground...good luck. :)

They certainly do! That's why location, location, location is so important in a silnylon shelter.

World-Wide
06-08-2009, 12:36
I am tenting on this years hike. I have a Shires Virga Tarptent. It has a waterproof floor. Do I ***need*** a Footprint underneath or is it an optional nice to have thing??
Thank You.

Hey Grinder....I'd avoid the area and setting camp atop this foot print! ;) Hope others are more helpful than me! Best of luck whatever you decide!! :D

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_HXP2Z5GXFO8/SCHvAn-m9GI/AAAAAAAAClM/DVI-Hbk8iuE/s400/big_foot_print1.jpg

Foyt20
06-08-2009, 19:35
Now thats a FOOT PRINT!!!!!

mudcap
06-08-2009, 21:12
I always make footprints,guess I am not all that stealthy....