PDA

View Full Version : Maine hiking time

phillipthehiker
05-23-2004, 23:33
Hello Fellow Hikers, I've climbed Katahdin twice and plan on hitting the AT from there headed south the last week in June. I have two weeks and would like to approximate an ending point. I have slight flexibility and am a strong hiker/climber. Thanks for any and all input. Phil

attroll
05-23-2004, 23:53
I would estimate that since you said you were a strong hiker that you should be able to Make it to Route 27 (Stratton) or to Route 4 (Rangeley) in two weeks.

Peaks
05-24-2004, 18:54
If you read your Maine AT guide, 14 days should put you at least to Caratunk. Statton may be a little ambitious, and Rangely even more so.

weary
05-24-2004, 23:10
If you read your Maine AT guide, 14 days should put you at least to Caratunk. Statton may be a little ambitious, and Rangely even more so.

It really depends on why you are hiking -- and, of course, how strong you are. If it's to enjoy the outdoors in Maine, during a truly beautiful season (except for the black flies) I wouldn't plan on going beyond Caratunk. If your plan is not to enjoy the lakes, mountains and forests, but just to see how far you can go in 14 days, then Stratton is possible for a strong hiker. Only a tiny minority have the ability to reach Rangeley.

I like to poke along, exploring the side trails to scenic overlooks, exploring Gulf Hagas. I've done it faster, but typically I'll spend 3 or 4 days traversing the high terrain between Route 4 (Rangeley) and Route 27 (Stratton.)

Another two days will get me across the Bigelow Range. Figure two or three days for a comfortable traverse of the Carry Ponds and north to Monson. Well except for when the blueberries are ripe. Then wise hikers will pause an extra day to pick a few quarts.

You can figure out the 100-mile "wilderness" yourself. It's not particularly strenuous, but no one should traverse that section without stopping at East and West Chairback Ponds, and spending a morning at least at Cloud Pond.

Finally, or firstly, depending on your direction, Katadin's 11 mile round trip is a full day by itself. Plan on another day to exit Baxter Park. The falls alone will slow wise hikers for at least an hour or two -- perhaps more.

Weary

phillipthehiker
05-24-2004, 23:16
Thanks...I appreciate the quick replies to my post. Today I was discussing the fact that I'm a look and ponder type and that I won't get far in Maine in the time I have. I've decided to start at the top and enjoy....speed and distance are not the objectives....enjoying the awesomeness of the Maine section of the AT is.