PDA

View Full Version : Double wide sleeping bags

wrongway_08
03-13-2009, 16:59
Any of you use a double wide bag when couple camping?

Not two small bags zipped together but a real double wide.

20 degree bag is what Im looking for, down is fine or syn..

Checking on the net but getting cheap ones and I dont want to carry a 6 or 7 pound bag around. Any of you tried any that you really liked?

Thanks,
- Rick

puddingboy
03-13-2009, 17:00
How exactly do you zip two together?

superman
03-13-2009, 17:17
I have a 0,20 and a 40 degree down rectangular LL Bean sleeping bags. They all zip together but they are usually too hot. A passed thru hiker gave me the address of a place in Florida to get zippers that would mate with what we have. Pat sew'd a zipper to light weight rip stop material that she made the same size as the bags. We use the rip stop material underneath us zipped to the sleeping bag. We usually only carry one bag. We put the sleeping pads inside the double size bag. While it keeps the pads from walking around the big reason is...one person can't cacoon and leave me without anything over me.:)

wrongway_08
03-13-2009, 19:14

I dont wanna do that. I want a extra wide with just the one side zip.

My Montbells are both mummys, so that wouldnt work so well anyways.

wrongway_08
03-13-2009, 19:26
Found this Marmot Down Yurt bag. 40 degree bag, should be enough considering two people in it together would heat up pretty fast.

http://src.marmot.com/web/s09/detail/2066_7243.jpg Ideal Uses

Backpacking / Hiking

Specs Weight:3 lb 12 ozs / 1.701 kgsFill Weight:0 ozs / 0 gMain Material: Tilt 2.4 oz 100% Polyester DWRLining Material: Glide 2.4 oz 100% Polyester WR TaffetaInsulation Material: 600+ Fill Goose DownSizes:0'0"Colors:7243 - Carob/Hemlock

Features

Full-length Zip Around Zipper
Opens to Queen-size Comforter
Stitch-through Construction

stumpknocker
03-13-2009, 19:35
A bag like this; http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=Microfiber%20Series&viewpost=2&ContentId=36

Zipped up with this summer coupler might work for you; http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Accessories

Feral Bill
03-13-2009, 19:36
I remember seeing the two person mummies in catalogs ages ago. They may just not be available. Of course I am sure someone would make you one, for a price.

daddytwosticks
03-13-2009, 19:41
Double bags hummmm....are the trail intamacy threads doing there thing to ya all? :)

JERMM
03-13-2009, 19:52

you need one left side zip and one right side zip, of the same length and same kind of zipper. Zip them together for one big-o-bag.

Compass
03-13-2009, 21:55
I believe the term is "mate able". TNF has some product lines that can be. How about a large quilt. With two in a bag it gets hot 3 seasons of the year. A quilt would give you ventilation and be the lightest.

Wags
03-13-2009, 22:44
pretty sure big agnes did a double quilt type thing. you may want to look into that

tuswm
03-14-2009, 01:15
I know you didn't ask this, but I have tried zipping other mummy bags together with the GF and they work OK but not to the point of leaving them together all night on cooler nights. But our marmot never summer RHZ and her girl version LHZ actually work like a 2 person mummy bag when together, the draft collar and hood sinch things even work when sipped together. even the draft tubes for the zipper were made to work when sipped together. you get the best of both worlds. Marmot has a "outdoor" line of sleeping bags, the are only 650 fill and like half the price of the other bags but the big plus for couples is that they were designed to be zipped together. All the Zippers are the same length so you can even zip a womens short LHZ 15 deg to a mens long 0 deg RHZ and you heads will be even and your feet will be further away then hers. My GF has the womens angle fire long LHZ and I have the never summer reg RHZ and they work great together. I can actually fit both of them zipped together in the stuff sack that came with my bag as well.
http://marmot.com/spring_2009/equipment/sleeping_bags/outdoor
Go to REI and try this with other mummy bags and you will see they may zip together but they were not made to work zipped together, things like both draft tubes being on one side and none on the other, and the placement of the zippers can also make or brake the sleepability of the bags.

then you also have to have sleeping pads that work well together also, mummy pads don't work. After a few trys we now use thermarest foam square pads, the egg create ones, if you over lap them they will actually kinda hold them self together so you don't need fancy matting Velcro straps.

Other things I have tried that failed, synthetic square bags don't close around your head when its cold. Then out REI sub kilos didn't work well at all because the zippers where almost on bottom of the bags. Something I never noticed until we tried to zip them together.

on a side note REI bags and Marmot bags do zip together but not with MHW.

Wags
03-14-2009, 01:40
here's the one i was referring to:

http://www.campsaver.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=bag0017

Jayboflavin04
03-14-2009, 12:03
Try looking at TNF twin peaks....+20 5lbs

wrongway_08
03-14-2009, 18:46
Double bags hummmm....are the trail intamacy threads doing there thing to ya all? :)

:D:D Gotta have enough room to do things properly :D:D

wrongway_08
03-14-2009, 18:48
Try looking at TNF twin peaks....+20 5lbs

Checked it out, just not sure if 20 will get to hot. Thinking 40 might be better with 2 people. Its past that winter prime time. thanks for the info.

JERMM
03-14-2009, 19:04
Wrongway- have you considered a JRB quilt?

Jayboflavin04
03-16-2009, 13:06
Yeh but it is mummy shaped.....This bag design allows for proper spoonin! At least that is what you could tell your girlly!

McKeever
03-16-2009, 13:27
I have made several single and double quilts

McKeever
03-16-2009, 13:30
Oops, AND.... after using them extensively, broke down and bought a golite double quilt for my wife and I several years ago but now they don't make them anymore. They work great but too many hikers were afraid of them so they apparently didn't sell well enough to keep them on a product line. Might want to call them and see what they say, I'd be interested to find out what happened to the Jardine/Golite double quilt.

saimyoji
03-16-2009, 15:32

http://www.moontrail.com/details/lafuma/extreme800/mate.jpg

The Will
03-16-2009, 16:29
Have you looked at Feathered Friends? They have a few models that allow you to zip a single rectangular or semi-rectangular bag to a ground sheet. There are several temperature ratings available as well as hood options.