PDA

View Full Version : First Aid Kit for Thru

hikergirl1120
03-14-2009, 07:51
I am looking into buying a first aid kit for the thru hike this year.

I would like to know what other people have used or brought along. Should I buy a kit or build my own?

Hoop
03-14-2009, 08:21
The home page has an "articles" link; look under 'health and safety' to get ideas for a good kit if you're unsure.

fiddlehead
03-14-2009, 08:28
I certainly wouldn't buy one.
On a thru-hike, weight is important and ones that you buy are not going to have weight as their concern.

IT's been batted around here pretty heavily already.
Personally, i take: needle and dental floss (for repairs or first aid), aspirin, one of those little packets of neosporin, and some duct tape.
On some hikes, i've carried a knife too but a razor blade will suffice.
I used to carry one band aid but found that duct tape works just as good.

garlic08
03-14-2009, 09:00
You're hiking the AT, right? It's fairly benign and civilized out there so you won't need much. I carry basically what Fiddlehead lists, adding a couple more bandaids and pair of tweezers. You may get a bee or wasp sting, so if you have problems with that, bring what you need. The uncoated white athletic tape is pretty good for hot spots, too. It all fits in a sandwich bag and weighs a couple ounces.

Ekul
03-14-2009, 09:03
IT's been batted around here pretty heavily already.
Personally, i take: needle and dental floss (for repairs or first aid).

If you are taking dental floss for sewing yourself up I would suggest the uncoated kind. Been there done that and sheww it burns if its minty

Manwich
03-14-2009, 09:18
I keep duct tape on my trekking poles, I could frill the ends of my backpack straps for cord, I keep 3 safety pins pinned on my pack (for blisters or if a buckle breaks or something...) if I'm bleeding i'll use a bandana or spare shirt, if i break something I can splint with my hiking pole and duct tape.

Jayboflavin04
03-14-2009, 09:37
Totem...You would look pretty silly with a trekking pole splinted to your finger!:)

4eyedbuzzard
03-14-2009, 10:16
Totem...You would look pretty silly with a trekking pole splinted to your finger!:)

'specially if he had to pick his nose.:D

Panzer1
03-14-2009, 10:34
Should I buy a kit or build my own?

Always build your own. Bring what makes sense for you.

Panzer

energier
03-14-2009, 10:41
In addition to the above I don't know if it goes with a first aid kit but I pack toe nail clippers long nails bite and hurt pun intended don;t add much weight and well worth it to me

Ekul
03-14-2009, 10:43
In addition to the above I don't know if it goes with a first aid kit but I pack toe nail clippers long nails bite and hurt pun intended don;t add much weight and well worth it to me

meh just bite em off extra protein =P

Panzer1
03-14-2009, 10:49
Here's what I have in my med kit:

in a zip lock bag:
one Neosporin tear open packet
Band Aids (qty 5)
Ibuprofen (24 tabs - 200 mg)

for blisters:
1" surgical tape (for toes)
1/2" paper surgical tape (for toes)
moleskin regular
duck tape (rolled up on itself)
Band-Aid Compeed (qty 4)
small and large safety pin

Panzer

Strategic
03-14-2009, 11:19
I tend to be a bit more heavy on the first aid supplies than most of the lightweight hikers here, so I'll try to give you a different perspective.

First, never assume that just because the AT is a relatively civilized trail that really bad things can't go wrong that you'll have to deal with before you can get yourself (or be gotten) off-trail to deal with them. That's what a first aid kit is for, so for me it needs to cover the possibilities well enough to ensure that I have what I need in the event of trouble.

Here's my basic list:

1" ace bandage - for small sprains and breaks, it's much better (and lighter) than duct tape for the purpose. You'd have to carry a lot of duct tape to make up for what one of these can do.
4" gauze pads (x2) - these are for serious bleeding and do a great job of keeping a larger wound properly covered until you can get to treatment. Using a shirt or bandana is asking to have these things cut out of your wound later.
Small roll of 3/4" surgical tape - also for wound treatment and a host of other uses.
Waterproof fabric band-aids (4x1" & 2xknuckle) - just to keep minor wounds clean and cared for until they heal sufficiently.
Needle and 6' of Hy-Mark thread - for repairs if needed but also for sutures if needed. Hy-Mark is an all-cotton thread that's very strong but won't cause most people problems if used for suturing.
Single individual packets of first aid creams (Neosporin, burn ointment, 5% hydrocortizone ointment) - these are very light and indispensible.
Moleskin (4"x4" square) - for blister padding.
Blister patches (4) - these are a relatively new product, but they work beautifully.
Single-dose packets of various medications - some of these are OTC (Immodium, Benedril, Pepcid, aspirin, vitamin I) and some are not (valium) but all are there to meet the need to hold off or reduce something until you can get off-trail (Immodium for diarrhea, Benedril for any allergic reaction, etc.)
Personal medications - most of these aren't really of interest to anyone else, but they do go in the kit so I include them.

One item that I use that many others might like to know about is Lidocaine patches. These aren't easy to get (unless you're a rheumatoid arthritic like me) but they're incredibly useful. Basically they act as a topical anesthetic that goes rather deeper than what most people are used to. If you have joint problems of any kind, these will be your friend on the trail.

I also carry a knife at all times so I have access to a cutting edge, which you'll likely need in a first aid situation. That's what I see as a more complete kit, but not one that will badly weigh you down. My kit, with my toothbrush, toothpaste, comb and other personal hygene bits stuck in and silnylon stuff sack included comes in at 6.5oz, which isn't much for something that represents your ultimate backstop against trouble and illness on the trail.

Spogatz
03-14-2009, 12:11
Moleskin.......I just love that stuff....

cupid
03-14-2009, 16:25
moleskin and duct tape have saved my feet many times.

Peaks
03-14-2009, 17:44
Moleskin.......I just love that stuff....

I've replaced all the moleskin in my first aid supplies with blister pads.

theinfamousj
03-14-2009, 18:40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq_ZwjxgLnE

Mongoose2
03-14-2009, 21:29
What type of blister pads do you use?

I've replaced all the moleskin in my first aid supplies with blister pads.

Many Walks
03-14-2009, 22:56
I include a few butterfly bandages. They're light and close wounds well.

A little Technu is great for Poison Oak/Ivy.

Small tweezers. In Maryland with all the moths around, my partner got a moth in her ear and it kept going in further and further until it was against her eardrum. Every time it fluttered she screamed and collapsed. We wouldn't have gotten it out without the tweezers. She would have been crazy by the time we got to a town. One of those freaky things that can happen, but isn't generally anticipated. They're good for slivers too.

BobTheBuilder
03-14-2009, 23:37
This is overkill, as I have never used it all in a week, but it doesn't weigh much. As a philosophy, I'm big on blister care and ibuprofen, since as a section hiker my feet and knees are always starting over again. I'm assuming my duct tape can fix most injuries until treatment. I also have no moral qualms with buying a $2 tube of triple antibiotic and squeezing 3/4 of it into the garbage can.

-Several 1" bandaids for blisters
-Ibuprofen (a couple dozen)
- quarter of a small tube of Benadryl
-quarter of a small tube triple antibiotic
-2 or 3 benadryl pills
-2 or 3 Imodiums
-2 or 3 daytime cold pills
-a few large bandaids for heel blisters
-1/2" wide first aid tape
-small toenail clippers