PDA

View Full Version : Mail Drop ?

trekkngirl
03-14-2009, 09:12
Is it necessary to call and get permission to mail boxes to a Hostel/Hotel you plan to stay at? Also I chose an outfitter for one drop.In the guide it lists these this places as accepting drops I just want to make sure I'm not missing something. Thanks

Captain
03-14-2009, 12:48
always a good idea to get permission,even if your a regular and know the people they might have very limited/non secure space to store the maildrops.

Captain
03-14-2009, 12:50
also i have seen places wanting 5-10 bucks or something to hold mail drops for you esp if you dont stay with them the night you pick the mail drop up

Ox97GaMe
03-15-2009, 01:06
Not required to contact them first, but it is a nice gesture. Also, put an expected arrival date on the package if you know it. This helps with keeping packages somewhat sorted at some locations. They will group either by estimated arrival dates or alphabetical by last name.

And more importantly, if for some reason you get off the trail and still have mail drops waiting, contact them so that they can remove them from inventory.

trekkngirl
03-15-2009, 09:05
Thanks for the help. My home coordinator and I have decided when I call for him to mail a box he would call the place and give them a heads up that a drop box and I are on our way. If that works for them great, if not we'll find another place. I really don't want to pay $10.00 though when I am going to stay there. Seems they would mention that detail in the guide along with saying they except drops. Hmmmm

Jack Tarlin
03-15-2009, 11:41
If a place is listed in one of the major Guidebooks as accepting hiker mail or parcels (like a motel, hostel, or outfitter) then you can reasonably assume this is the case, i.e. it's probably not necessary to call them.

There are a few (very few, actually) places that charge for holding hiker mail, and a few that charge for folks not actually staying at the place in question, which is entirely reasonable. These places are also listed in the guidebooks.

I have NEVER heard of a hiker going to pick up their mail and then to be told----surprise!!---- that the place wants ten bucks for the privilege. Hikers always know about this in advance.

This is why theTrail guidebooks are so useful to hikers, and it's also why one needs to make sure to own and use a current one.

trekkngirl
03-15-2009, 12:20
Sounds good Jack. That is why I picked the specific hotel,etc,because they also accepted drops.Ready to go!!

Captain
03-15-2009, 15:19
If a place is listed in one of the major Guidebooks as accepting hiker mail or parcels (like a motel, hostel, or outfitter) then you can reasonably assume this is the case, i.e. it's probably not necessary to call them.

There are a few (very few, actually) places that charge for holding hiker mail, and a few that charge for folks not actually staying at the place in question, which is entirely reasonable. These places are also listed in the guidebooks.

I have NEVER heard of a hiker going to pick up their mail and then to be told----surprise!!---- that the place wants ten bucks for the privilege. Hikers always know about this in advance.

This is why theTrail guidebooks are so useful to hikers, and it's also why one needs to make sure to own and use a current one.

well right if its in the guide at troll puts out or one of the other major guides, id say its safe to assume they wouldnt spring a charge on ya last second.
but if package gets sent to a business who doesnt understand the whole AT thing i could very much see them being like " well they NEED this box..and i AM running a business after all..so they have no choice but to pay me"
and in counter someone could argue businesses that dont understand the AT wouldnt be close enough to consider as a maildrop anyway...
just trying to offer the "better cuatious than screwed" point of view cuase odds are if you dont want to spend 10 bucks to pick up a maildrop you dont want to go to a store and buy things to replace your maildrop cause a greedy business owner tried to nickel and dime ya intobuying your maildrop from them...
these people do exist in the world.. and the AT does coexist with it so its not unreasonable to think one or two might be lurking about in some town along the way, might sound like im arguing... im not actualy just saying your right jack just in the most long winded way as possible....its my nature

Captain
03-15-2009, 15:20
good luck trekkngirl remember no sniveling

trekkngirl
03-15-2009, 15:54
Thanks Captain! BTW I do have a great guide book. But it won't hurt to call. I don't know about no sniveling though. It's in my nature ;)

Cookerhiker
03-15-2009, 15:59
Trekkngirl, sending your maildrops to hostels is a smart move as opposed to sending them to POs; you won't have to worry about timing your town visits with PO opening hours. Have a good hike!

Jack Tarlin
03-15-2009, 16:11
One last comment about maildrops......every now and then, a hiker might send a parcel or drop to a place (motel or hostel) and then, after arriving there, their plans change. Maybe they realize all their friends are all staying somewhere else. Maybe it's a beautiful day and they decide to keep hiking. Maybe a relative arrives unexpectedly and takes them home. In any case, your plans might change and you might decide NOT to stay at a place even tho you'd originally intended to.

In a case like this, I explain things to the hostel keeper or motel manager; I tell them my plans have changed, and that I won't be staying. I also thank them for holding my mail and ask them if they need a few dollars for having done me the favor.

They invariably decline, and tell me not to worry about it.

But offering them this is a nice thing to do, and helps to keep places hiker-friendly.

(Oh, and on the very off chance, they DO accept your money, be gracious about it; it's only a couple of bucks, and they did, after all, do you a favor by safeguarding your mail).

Ron Haven
03-15-2009, 18:55
Thanks Captain! BTW I do have a great guide book. But it won't hurt to call. I don't know about no sniveling though. It's in my nature ;)If you are stopping in Franklin,NC We at Budget Inn accept mail drops for hikers free even if you are not staying in town for the night.

trekkngirl
03-16-2009, 08:54
Thanks for all the advice and well wishes. I hope to see you Ron but I don't have a drop going to you. Off to Amicalola.:)