PDA

View Full Version : Shaved some weight

JaxHiker
03-14-2009, 17:36
I don't consider myself a gram weenie but I'm trying to get my pack weight down. Today I finally replaced the ridgeline tie-outs on my tarp. Not only did I lose weight I also added reflective line so hopefully I won't clothesline myself anymore. :p

I went from .6oz per line to .2oz. That's a .8oz savings total! :D

RockDoc
03-14-2009, 19:37
These little things seem laughable by themselves, but they all add up to pounds. Sometimes many many pounds. Incremental improvements add up to superior results. Good work!

Many Walks
03-14-2009, 22:37
Braided construction string may save even more, while still being really strong. Just a thought.

JaxHiker
03-14-2009, 22:44
Actually I used that for a while on the side tie-outs. The neon green was ok but still didn't work well at night. I've switched to reflective all the way around and I'm very happy with how visible everything is. The braided construction string is slick stuff though.

Manwich
03-14-2009, 23:06
Jax, whered you get the reflectocordies and would you recommend?

JaxHiker
03-15-2009, 10:02
Totem, I use a 4-pack of Figure 9s from Nite Ize. It's a brand new product and I don't see it on their website yet. I forget when the rep told me it would be available. I'll have to see if it's in their dealer catalog. It's like this set (http://www.niteize.com/productdetail.php?category_id=29&product_id=140) except that the 9s are plastic so you save weight there and the line is green reflective instead of black. The entire set weighs 2oz.

What I added yesterday is Kelty Triptease Guyline (http://www.rei.com/product/617569). It's $15 for 50' at REI. I didn't specify the length of my lines in the OP but they're 10'. And of course each 10' section weighed in at .2oz.

garlic08
03-15-2009, 10:36
I wasn't sure you were serious at first! Welcome to gram-weenie-world. Nothing wrong with using something that works as well or better for lighter weight, especially if you needed to replace it anyway.

I heard somewhere that the average hiker's pack contains 50 to 60 items. If you reduced the weight of each item by one ounce, that's 3 to 4 pounds off. (And unlike what Backpacker magazine urges, that does not mean you can now buy and carry the espresso machine and new lightweight fly rod.)

JaxHiker
03-15-2009, 12:41
Great. Now I have to take the espresso machine back. :(

River Runner
03-16-2009, 01:02
I heard somewhere that the average hiker's pack contains 50 to 60 items. If you reduced the weight of each item by one ounce, that's 3 to 4 pounds off.

:eek: Or get rid of 25-30 items and save even more!

Unless they are counting individual band-aids and aspirins, 50 to 60 seems like a LOT of items.

bobbyw
03-24-2009, 13:49
One thing that finally got my pack weight down to about 12 pounds was looking at my gear and shaving pounds, not ounces. I went multipurpose with everything, and jesus willing I'm going to shaving another pound off when I make a custom poncho tarp.

Speer Carrier
03-24-2009, 17:30
Why not lose a little body weight? Unless one has less than 5% body fat or something like that most hikers could afford to lose weight. I'm not trying to be a wise guy, but offering an alternative.

Cutting out unneeded items is great, but why not just eat right, and shed some completely unneeded fat.

I'm speaking as a person who lost 25 pounds a few years back, and it has made a huge difference. Since my pack with 5 days worth of food plus 72 oz. of water weighs about 25 pounds, I'm now carrying the same weight I did when just day hiking a few years back. It's all just a stroll in the park now.

Oh, and by the way, weight training with an emphasis on leg strength has helped too.

Chenango
03-24-2009, 17:56
Why not lose a little body weight? Unless one has less than 5% body fat or something like that most hikers could afford to lose weight. I'm not trying to be a wise guy, but offering an alternative.

Cutting out unneeded items is great, but why not just eat right, and shed some completely unneeded fat.

I'm speaking as a person who lost 25 pounds a few years back, and it has made a huge difference. Since my pack with 5 days worth of food plus 72 oz. of water weighs about 25 pounds, I'm now carrying the same weight I did when just day hiking a few years back. It's all just a stroll in the park now.

Oh, and by the way, weight training with an emphasis on leg strength has helped too.

Speed - I agree. For those of us who are carrying a few extra ounces (being generous here) around the gut, this a great way to tackle things. Lower body weight and pack weight === >>> Great Strategy

Thanks for the reminder.

bigcranky
03-24-2009, 18:21
:eek: Or get rid of 25-30 items and save even more!

Unless they are counting individual band-aids and aspirins, 50 to 60 seems like a LOT of items.

I dunno. I just went over my packing list from last week's hike, and got about 50 items. I counted things like "first aid kit" and "pot and lid" as one item, too. But then I counted my pack and my plastic trash bag liner as two items, and every stuff sack was separate, etc. I don't see any way to cut it to 30 items without either cheating and calling my clothing bag one item, or dropping stuff that I like to have.

slow
03-24-2009, 21:39
UL from most on here have no clue,25 is even out of hand

UL..MLD has and will hold that for a long time.I'm talking great gear and should be said to ALL.ULA refitted the conduit ..and i wonder why?

FamilyGuy
03-24-2009, 22:07
UL from most on here have no clue,25 is even out of hand

UL..MLD has and will hold that for a long time.I'm talking great gear and should be said to ALL.ULA refitted the conduit ..and i wonder why?

ULA re-designed the Conduit because the Relay was dropped and the COnduit was made to be more modular - removable belt pockets, etc. It allows it to be 17oz as a day pack or expanded for multi-days.

slow
03-24-2009, 22:32
ULA re-designed the Conduit because the Relay was dropped and the COnduit was made to be more modular - removable belt pockets, etc. It allows it to be 17oz as a day pack or expanded for multi-days.

It was done cause,when one dont sell and YOU feel the HEAT...you drop OZ.

JaxHiker
03-24-2009, 22:39
Because this is a gear forum and not a fitness forum. If I wanted to talk about losing weight I'd post in the latter. Regardless of whether I weight 250 or 150 I don't want to carry a 50 lb pack.

FamilyGuy
03-24-2009, 23:44
It was done cause,when one dont sell and YOU feel the HEAT...you drop OZ.

Actually no. There is a smaller day pack due out in the Summer from ULA.

Functionally, however, the Conduit and Relay were actually designed quite differently.

What is your problem with Tarptent and ULA?

Curious.

mtnkngxt
03-25-2009, 15:28
Dudes a troll, and I've dealt with MLD once and only once. Didn't like the guys attitude, but Brian and Henry have always been great to deal with.

slow
03-31-2009, 21:11
First off Dude is what kids say in GANGS like in LA.
Ron is a great guy.So for you not to like him,Was it the money for his great work that you chose not to pay?