PDA

View Full Version : Need to know a place to stay before Blueberry Patch Hiker Hostel.

inarea
03-15-2009, 05:20
Im suppose to reach Blueberry Patch Hiker Hostel in 2 days. So hiking today and hiking tomorrow get there Monday night.

Is their any way I could hike even off the trail today and hit a place i could sleep tonight and stay for a few days that would have power? Hotel or Hostel.

Thanks!

stumpknocker
03-15-2009, 05:30
If you were planning on going into Blueberry Patch from Dick's Creek Gap...and you are northbound now, you can get there from Unicoi Gap by heading towards Hiawassee. It's a two road hitch...once you get to RT 76 (I think that's the road number), instead of hitching left to Hiawassee, hitch right to get to Blueberry Patch. :)

stumpknocker
03-15-2009, 05:34
Or....from Unicoi Gap, hitch to Helen. I've stayed at Helendorf Inn lots of times. They usually have good hiker rates this time of year and there are plenty of places to eat.

Sorry...mis-read your post and thought you were trying to get to Blueberry Patch a day or two earlier. :)

inarea
03-15-2009, 05:49
How far down the Unicot Turnpike is that?

stumpknocker
03-15-2009, 05:58
Never heard of Unicot Turnpike.

inarea
03-15-2009, 06:04
Sorry do you know the name of the road i would hitch from? and how far down that road it is?

Lone Wolf
03-15-2009, 06:34
Sorry do you know the name of the road i would hitch from? and how far down that road it is?

Unicoi Gap, Ga. 75. 9 miles east to Helen if you're walking NOBO

inarea
03-15-2009, 07:11
looks south to me no?

inarea
03-15-2009, 08:29
is there anywhere closer then this just to get power?

Thanks!

Mother Nature
03-15-2009, 08:40
If you are walking north on the AT, as you approach Unicoi Gap and facing northbound, Helen is on your right on hwy 75 and Hiawassii would be reach on your left. The Uncoi Lodge is before Helen but that is a two road hitch and this time of year would be more difficult as the lodge is not busy. I had breakfast there last Tuesday morning and the lodge was completely empty. We were the only breakfast guests all morning and they had none the day before. The closest civilization would accomodations are the two spots Stumpknocker and Wolf listed.

Bulldawg
03-15-2009, 08:46
Just power? Do you just need power or do you want to stay somewhere with power? Helen is going to be your only bet with power AND somewhere to stay. Helen or hitch north from Unicoi Gap and then right (or east) on US 76 out of Hiawassee to get to Blueberry patch. I think they will help you slack pack the Unicoi to Dicks Creek section.

Hooch
03-15-2009, 08:47
is there anywhere closer then this just to get power?

Thanks!Why not just stop posting so much about where to find power and save power? Wouldn't that be easier in the long run? :eek::rolleyes:

inarea
03-15-2009, 08:49
what about just power?

Mother Nature
03-15-2009, 08:52
You are in the middle of no where. Just before Helen there is a gas station and a BBQ restaurant that may be seasonal and not open. That would be your first opportunity to find power before Helen. Other wise Helen is your best bet. It should be an easy hitch on such a yucky day. We locals are a soft touch for hiker lifts.