PDA

View Full Version : Two-hour CDT video link

handlebar
03-15-2009, 12:34
Want to get psyched up about the CDT? If you've got a high speed link, check out the download links at the bottom of this page. The two-hour hi-res version is a shade over 2 Gigs and takes about 7 hours to download---I downloaded it overnight. It's a great video of Lost and Fournd's 08 CDT thru.

Here's the link:

http://www.made-in-england.org/videos/cdt/

theinfamousj
03-15-2009, 13:03
Thank you. My mother has a bed-bound friend who loves any hiking videos we can bring to her. She prefers CDT videos. She's already seen the CDT videos we were able to purchase at Trail Days last year. This is a new one!

fiddlehead
03-15-2009, 15:01
That is awesome. Thanks for the link.
That's the first time i've seen a high definition camera for some excellent footage of my favorite trail.
Very good quality.

MDhiker1967
03-15-2009, 15:22
I keep getting erros when trying to open this file????

ColdFire
03-15-2009, 15:28
Nice thanks for the link! can't wait to watch it, the quality looks superb!!! :sun

freefall
03-15-2009, 16:14
...over 2 Gigs and takes about 7 hours to download---I downloaded it overnight....

Here's the link:

Only took 47 minutes but I'll have to watch it later. Watched the short one and it looks like it will be a good watch.

theinfamousj
03-15-2009, 16:25
I keep getting erros when trying to open this file????

It works fine for me in VLC player. Try using that program rather than Quicktime.

ColdFire
03-15-2009, 20:07
Excellent movie thanks again :)

Slo-go'en
03-15-2009, 23:16
Five stars aren't enough for this video! Well worth the 4 hours it took to down load the full 2 hr version here.

humunuku
03-16-2009, 18:06
if i only had 2 gig left on my hard drive to download it ( i have way too much music)

medicjimr
03-16-2009, 21:37
ya I watched the 15 minutes since old puter here not enough Gigs

leprechaun
03-18-2009, 17:07
downloaded the whole thing a few days ago, and wow. What a great movie!

leprechaun
03-18-2009, 17:16
Oh yea, great soundtrack too. Wonderful song placement and choice (love the Explosions in the Sky!)

omegaman13
03-25-2009, 04:24
Just finished watching the whole thing because I couldn't sleep. It's actually 2 1/2 hours, and it was a very cool movie. Music was pretty good, could have done without about 4-5 songs but 90% of them were good. Those guys seem like a blast to hang with and this movie makes me want to get some navigating experience under my belt so I can tackle the CDT.

neighbor dave
03-25-2009, 18:16
the 15 minute version was great!
is there a fast way to download the full version?
sure is a beautiful country.
hoping one day to hike it.

RITBlake
03-25-2009, 18:23
I just see a black box!

neighbor dave
03-25-2009, 18:39
ya gotta press the little start aroow at the bottom left of the black screen!

RITBlake
03-25-2009, 18:41
no start arrow for me, I think I need quicktime, downloading now, stand by

RITBlake
03-26-2009, 00:25
Wow, to whoever found and posted this, many thanks! Very enjoyable couple of hours spent on the couch watching this well done video.

omegaman13
03-26-2009, 01:58
I would have liked to see some more in town stuff going on and a little more background on the guys doing the hiking to humanize it a little more. The music was good up until the very end. Trail magic is still a new thing to people living around the CDT, but it seems that only nice people live near the trail.

That mustache was epic too

Christus Cowboy
03-26-2009, 08:50
This thread is killing me....I so want to see this... I downloaded the 2 hour vid and extracted it... I can't get it to run on quicktime, I downloaded VLC Player and couldn't get it work either and Windows Media player was a no go.... Any suggestions? If someone has a player that works and could send me the link I would greatly appreciate it......

fiddlehead
03-26-2009, 09:37
Worked on quicktime for me. I just clicked on the link and then the big blue Q came up for about an hour (slow internet here) and then the video started.
Good luck. It's excellent quality on the camera work.

RITBlake
03-26-2009, 10:09
This thread is killing me....I so want to see this... I downloaded the 2 hour vid and extracted it... I can't get it to run on quicktime, I downloaded VLC Player and couldn't get it work either and Windows Media player was a no go.... Any suggestions? If someone has a player that works and could send me the link I would greatly appreciate it......

If VLC can't run it, something is wrong. VLC is basically indestructible.

Slo-go'en
03-26-2009, 10:25
I down loaded the movie, installed Quick Time, double clicked on the movie, Quick Time started, the movie didn't. Then I clicked on the "play" button and it started - duh! I've watched it like 4 times now.

RITBlake
03-26-2009, 10:29
the way they finish is brilliant, put the camera down and both start running for the border

Lucy Lulu
03-26-2009, 12:24
I had a couple of "duh" moments also, trying several times to play the movie...until I clicked the play button at the bottom left of the screen.

It really is the best CDT movie I've seen to date, but then I've not seen many.

Ellie

The Will
03-26-2009, 18:03
I hiked with those blokes for a few days in southern Colorado when I joined my friends (both AT alums) for a week of their CDT thru hike last year.

I recall seeing the large solar recharger they carried, but never realized they were putting together such a great production.

Geez there was a lot of snow in southern Colorado last year.

RITBlake
03-26-2009, 18:48
I recall seeing the large solar recharger they carried, but never realized they were putting together such a great production.

AHHH

I wondered if that's what it was that I saw him rolling up.

Rickosovitch
04-03-2009, 14:27
I've been curious about the CDT awhile now. Thanks for the link!

Spirit Walker
04-10-2009, 22:55
Really nice movie. It made we really want to go back soonest.

Bidwell
04-15-2009, 20:19
yeah - not that it hasnt been said, but excellent movie... inspired me to look at some section CDT hikes this summer (too bad its snowing like crazy now)

Omarwannahike
04-19-2009, 09:28
As hiking videos go I thought this one was great. The website has their full journal, and some other resources. Music was so effing good.

I don't think you can really compare it to the Flagler one, they don't do the same thing, both have great stuff.

The one thing that kept me watching (really) were those freaking views, makes the CDT soooooo enticing.

Christus Cowboy
04-21-2009, 20:51
Finally, got the video to work and thoroughly enjoyed it.... The only suggestion that I could make would be for them to have sub titles when the guys were speaking because sometimes it was hard to understand what they were saying when they were trying to speak in high winds....

Wrangler88
05-03-2009, 19:10
I'm having the hardest time with this video. I've watched it on a computer at my college but I was wanting to download it and burn it to a disc. I keep running into a lot of problems with this.

Anyone out there kind enough to burn it to a disc and send it to me?
This is the kind of thing I'd watch over and over...

High Life
07-16-2009, 18:56
totally has inspired me to thru the CDT some day

GeneralLee10
08-11-2009, 15:51
I must say that it was a really cool video, a must see if your into Hiking.

I give it 5 thumbs up

Mags
08-11-2009, 19:29
Best line of the video?

Skittles, any advice to CDT hikers?
Don't do it!

:D

Connie
09-29-2009, 13:12
Tears in my eyes, downloading now. I can't be home. I miss it.

My home is a few miles east of Chief Mountain. The access is from Highway 17.

This link is a great resource. Their "Useful Continental Divide Trail Links" are useful.

I didn't think anyone was actually hiking the CDT.

In Dupuyer, MT where I pick up my mail, I see people "hiking" Highway 89, which is about 30 miles away from the mountains. They ask questions, fishing fishing for information so they can tell a big story about mountains they did not see. I even saw a YouTube video of a man "hiking" Highway 15, about 60 miles away from the mountains.

I think I will add some CDT-practical tips to my website for lightweight gear that, while not rated and approved equipment for mountainclimbers, will serve.

I know that country: it is my "backyard".

I recently had 30 acres basically "gifted" to me, east of Chief Mountain, the access road off Highway 17.

I have done trail work with the East Slope Backcountry Horsemen. They have an agreement to do so with the U.S. Forest Service. There were prepared trails we "groomed" no one had used.

I went in places no one has been for a very long time. One grandfather camped, waiting for me to come back out, questioning me about everything seen and experienced. He said, he didn't know anyone that had been in there in his lifetime.

The CDT is rugged, dangerous and beautiful.

If you actually have maps, compass and gps, know how to use them, because even the "pack trips" outfits carry a satellite telephone.

My first time, I had map and compass I know how to use in the backcountry.

Mags
09-29-2009, 18:37
T

If you actually have maps, compass and gps, know how to use them, because even the "pack trips" outfits carry a satellite telephone.

Just a quick note...

I'll just say you *do not* need a GPS to hike the CDT. It is can be useful at times, but you can hike the trail without one.

Canada Goose
09-29-2009, 22:59
I'm having the hardest time with this video. I've watched it on a computer at my college but I was wanting to download it and burn it to a disc.

I downloaded this movie onto my computer hard drive, but as with Wrangler88, have no idea how to burn a dvd of it that I can watch on my TV setup. My computer does have a dvd burner, and in addition to Windows Media Player, I have also installed Quicktime and VLC players. Playing it isn't a problem; burning it to a dvd has me baffled. Anyone have a clue about this? CG :confused:

Slo-go'en
09-30-2009, 12:12
I downloaded this movie onto my computer hard drive, but as with Wrangler88, have no idea how to burn a dvd of it that I can watch on my TV setup. My computer does have a dvd burner, and in addition to Windows Media Player, I have also installed Quicktime and VLC players. Playing it isn't a problem; burning it to a dvd has me baffled. Anyone have a clue about this? CG :confused:

You would need a program to convert the Quicktime video format to the format used for DVDs. I belive youtube has a utillity which you can down load from the home page which will convert most any format to any other, but since I've never downloaded that program, don't know if it will do the conversion needed. If you have a PC with a high end video card with S-Video output, and a DVD recorder with S-Video input, you might be able to do it that way, but of course, will have to record it in real time.

Roughin' It
02-11-2010, 23:26
I keep trying to download this video, and for some unknown reason, it just stops downloading with no warning.

The first time, i got 405 mb downloaded and it just stopped.
The second time, i got 55 mb.... stopped
The third time, i got 604 mb.... stopped.

And each time i re-try, it starts back at 0%, so all progress is lost.

WHHHYYY

Roughin' It
02-11-2010, 23:53
.. just got to 1.4 gb out of 1.9, and it STOPPED AGAIN

Spirit Walker
02-12-2010, 00:10
I can't get it either, just the short versions. I'd like to see the whole thing but it hangs the computer up every time.

Meta
02-12-2010, 00:27
I've got the entire thing, and sorry for you guys who can't get ahold of it, but it's awesome. :P

Chaco Taco
02-12-2010, 12:02
i just watched the short versiona dn cant wait to watch the whole thing. Gonna download it and put it on DVD and watch it on the big screen.

NotYet
02-13-2010, 11:59
We were finally able to download it...it's great! We can't seem to burn it to a dvd...any tips?

burger
02-13-2010, 12:20
If you're having trouble downloading the whole thing, you can download each state separately. Here's the link for New Mexico: http://www.made-in-england.org/videos/cdt/NewMexico.mov

Just fill in the other states' names, capitalized, to download them. BTW, I really enjoyed their video--can't wait to get out on the CDT in 2 or 3 more years.

Meta
02-13-2010, 18:13
To make a DVD readable by a vanilla DVD player you need to convert the video to MPEG2. It's in, right now I believe, an h.264 MPEG4 format. You can google for "QuickTime to DVD conversion tutorial" for help

Grampsb
02-14-2010, 06:26
Downloaded and watched it Saturday. Excellent video.

Wrangler88
08-28-2010, 18:01
I've watched this video 5 or 6 times now. One of my favorite videos ever.

Best part of the whole thing .... (during the full version) ...

1hour - 22 minutes - and 35 seconds
to
1 hour - 23 minutes - and 40 seconds

The entire video is amazing but that part hits me more than anything. Hope to be able to do something like this someday.

handlebar
10-25-2011, 20:58
Just bumping the thread. Any of you out there dreaming of a 2012 CDT hike will find this inspirational.

blackbird04217
10-26-2011, 20:40
Thank-you much for the bump- I never saw this until now; And now I wanna do the the CDT... Won't be for a few years - definitely different than the AT. It seems there is a lot of places where this is no trail/markers really. I'm only 1/2 through the Colorado video right now but... wow. Miss LD hiking already.

handlebar
12-10-2012, 11:46
Want to get psyched up about the CDT? If you've got a high speed link, check out the download links at the bottom of this page. The two-hour hi-res version is a shade over 2 Gigs and takes about 7 hours to download---I downloaded it overnight. It's a great video of Lost and Fournd's 08 CDT thru.

Here's the link:

Don't know if the old one works or not, but this video is also posted on Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/23740576

NeanderJoel
12-14-2012, 09:07
I think I'll watch this one tomorrow. It looks like a much easier watch than Lynne Whelden's 6 hour "How to hike the Continental Divide Trail".. I'll get to that one eventually.

Sly
12-14-2012, 11:28
It looks like a much easier watch than Lynne Whelden's 6 hour "How to hike the Continental Divide Trail".. I'll get to that one eventually.

I probably watched that no less than four times before hiking the trail.

I've made a playlist and embedded quite a few CDT videos to one page. The first 10 or so, which will play in succession, is one DVD made by a guy named Savant that's really good, as well as the others.

http://www.soruck.net/cdt/video.html

NeanderJoel
12-16-2012, 03:36
Thanks Sly, I'll get to those videos.. eventually. Most of my time is taken up working to save for the hike but I do get around to things eventually :) Watching Cookie and Paul has gotten me excited all over again! I wish I could pull off a moustache like that guy.

kgottshalk
12-16-2012, 15:11
The associated blog is also excellent and is just as entertaining. May 2008-October 2008 are the blog entries that cover the hike.
Entry #1 http://www.made-in-england.org/category/continental-divide-trail/page/34/ puts you at the beginning of the hike.
http://www.made-in-england.org/category/continental-divide-trail/ is the overview.

Very entertaining, well worth the read as it fills in a lot of details. Linda Jeffers "Gotta Go"'s Trailjournal covers her time with them. Boston and Cubbies CDT Journal on Trailjournal has a few pertinent entries also.

Karl

k2basecamp
12-16-2012, 16:12
A great video! Thanks

The associated blog is also excellent and is just as entertaining. May 2008-October 2008 are the blog entries that cover the hike.
Entry #1 http://www.made-in-england.org/category/continental-divide-trail/page/34/ puts you at the beginning of the hike.
http://www.made-in-england.org/category/continental-divide-trail/ is the overview.

Very entertaining, well worth the read as it fills in a lot of details. Linda Jeffers "Gotta Go"'s Trailjournal covers her time with them. Boston and Cubbies CDT Journal on Trailjournal has a few pertinent entries also.

Karl

Hosaphone
12-30-2012, 02:37
These guys are too much! Those massive packs, extra weight of the camera gear, stopping to film so much, booze and campfires every night, and somehow they still manage to squeeze in 20+ miles per day even without a trail to follow half the time!

I love this:
http://www.made-in-england.org/dedication-to-a-good-drink/

SevenPines
12-30-2012, 04:08
thank you so much for this incredible video

SCRUB HIKER
12-30-2012, 04:37
Yeah, their journal is hilarious. I've never read through an entire thru-hike journal until that one. Their dedication to liquor, steak and apple pie is quite admirable. It's also short on tedious descriptions and long on sweet pictures, which is a good model to follow.