PDA

View Full Version : Question on boots for wide feet

JLB
05-24-2004, 16:13
I have a wide foot (EE) with a high instep. Consequently, it's really hard to find comfortable shoes, much less boots. I've been to several outdoor stores, but few stock wide sizes.

A couple of years ago, I did some day hiking out in Glacier and Yellowstone. I went to Travel Country Outdoors in Orlando, and purchased a pair of Montrail Ultra IIs for the trip. These shoes are low cut sneaker types, with large tread pattern. They worked very well out in the National Parks for up to 8 mile hikes, with a day pack. My concern is that they are low cut, and not very waterproof. On the plus side, they fit me very well, and are still in great shape. Here is a picture of what they look like:
http://www.travelcountry.com/shop/SessionId/db2704c3bbeccbd0897127c66b8bfecd/Action/Vendor_Prod/CatId/508/ProdId/1749

My questions are:

Does anybody else have a wide, high instep foot, and what boot did you find that fit you well?

Do I really need a boot that is waterproof, and offeres ankle protection?

What about using a Gore-tex booty with a regular boot?

Thanks.

Jaybird
05-24-2004, 16:52
I have a wide foot (EE) with a high instep. Consequently, it's really hard to find comfortable shoes, much less boots.
A couple of years ago, I did some day hiking My questions: Thanks.

JLB

have you tried any VASQUE boots on...seems like they're one of the last manufacturers that carry a WIDE boot.

a friend of mine ("TooTall") wears a 14 wide....& he loves his VASQUE boots! (the only ones that would fit his wide foot)

Does anybody else have a wide, high instep foot, and what boot did you find that fit you well? see above

unless you're getting trail-runners (lighter weight trail shoes)..go with an ankle-covering boot for protection...& i'd get waterproof boots too...you never can tell when the trail will become a "stream" or small creek rather than the nice soft footpath we'd all like to see 24/7!

What about using a Gore-tex booty with a regular boot? hmmmmm. dont know about bootys.
hope this helps...happy hikin'!

JLB
05-24-2004, 17:23
JLB

have you tried any VASQUE boots on...seems like they're one of the last manufacturers that carry a WIDE boot.

a friend of mine ("TooTall") wears a 14 wide....& he loves his VASQUE boots! (the only ones that would fit his wide foot)

Does anybody else have a wide, high instep foot, and what boot did you find that fit you well? see above

unless you're getting trail-runners (lighter weight trail shoes)..go with an ankle-covering boot for protection...& i'd get waterproof boots too...you never can tell when the trail will become a "stream" or small creek rather than the nice soft footpath we'd all like to see 24/7!

What about using a Gore-tex booty with a regular boot? hmmmmm. dont know about bootys.
hope this helps...happy hikin'!

I tried on the Vasque boots that were all leather Sundowner (model 7135), and the problem wasn't the width, but the instep. They had a lower priced model that was called the Clarion that was suede and Goretex, but it wasn't in a wide. They are ordering a pair for me to try. I assume the sueded won't be as durable as the regular leather models, but probably will be more comfortable.

Alligator
05-24-2004, 18:46
Try getting your feet fit by an experienced boot-fitter. You may need an insert (Superfeet) for your high instep. I have high arches and borderline wide feet. The clerk stretched my boots at the store at a slighty tight spot. Paying extra money for boots at the outfitters is well worth it to get a good fit.