PDA

View Full Version : Broken Leg

BearII
03-15-2009, 18:33
Hi All,

Well after planning for my 2009 thru for over a year this decade long yearning for the trip will have to go unfulfilled for yet another year. The plan was to leave on March 23rd until last weekend happened. I was out dirt riding on my motorcycle and hit a patch of sand and went down. Somehow my foot got trapped and I broke my leg!!! Yikes! I'm in a temporary cast now and am supposed to go see the ortho guy on Monday to tell me whether they are going to pin it or just set it.

Either way it puts me out of commission for 6-8 weeks. Maybe more if I'll need any kind of rehab. With that kind of delay I'm not sure if I'll be able to do the thru hike this year - I'm really bummed!!! :(:( The last thing I wanted was to rush this hike, I wanted a full 6 months to take my time and enjoy the hike, the people and the meditation time. But I'm postponing any final decision until I get the recommendations from Dr's on Monday.

To all my fellow 2009 thru buddies - best of luck! If the possibility of me joining you this year changes I'll let you know.

Cheers,
Dave

SGT Rock
03-15-2009, 18:37
Cheer up and heal up. I injured last year on the trail and had to get off. Healed up - and now saving for the next big one.

The trail has been there for 70+ years. It will be there when you are ready.

Get well soon and get back out there.

thestin
03-15-2009, 18:38
You could still leave from Springer in mid May. Take your time, enjoy your hike, and flip-flop at Harper's Ferry to Katahdin.

Or head to Maine in June or July and do a SoBo.

Marta
03-15-2009, 18:39
What a bummer! Good luck with the recovery and rehab.

BearII
03-15-2009, 19:04
You could still leave from Springer in mid May. Take your time, enjoy your hike, and flip-flop at Harper's Ferry to Katahdin.

Or head to Maine in June or July and do a SoBo.

You know, I've been chewing on these options too. My first reaction was no way because I've had this picture of arriving at Katahdin at the end in my head for so long. Climbing that final mountain seems to help define the hike for me.

Like I said though, I'm chewing, if I don't choke or spit it out one of those may be the solution I pick. If not, like SGT Rock says, it will be there next year too! ;)

Marta
03-15-2009, 22:22
I'm no expert on broken bones, but I don't know how reasonable it would be for you to hike this year. How bad a break is it? A crack? Or surgery and pins? It would be a shame to get out there and find out you just aren't able to do what it takes, especially if you can keep working this year, the better to have more money and free time next year.

If you are able to get out there, a flipflop might be just the thing. NOBO from Harpers Ferry, then flip around and go SOBO from there in the fall. You get to meet hikers from both groups.

If you need a bit more time to test your strength, a pure SOBO would put you among the Few, the Proud. You could start in July and finish around the end of the year. You definitely want to make sure you've got your strength and balance back before you tackle Maine and New Hampshire, though.

middle to middle
03-16-2009, 11:46
I tore a ligament in ankle and the doc. said I would be better off with a broen bone, I believe because it heals faster and better ! So just trying to give you a feel better option to the situation. It took two years for my ankle to feel good.
Good luck and Gods speed to your healing.
I hope you have a walking cast and can get out on paved roads or walks !

T

snowhoe
03-16-2009, 11:48
Hey just walk it off. It will be ok.

Maddog
03-16-2009, 12:09
how about duct tape? j/k get well soon! good luck!

BearII
03-17-2009, 13:21
how about duct tape? j/k get well soon! good luck!

Duct tape rules!!! In order to get back on my bike and ride out (27 miles of dirt roads) to a paved road I had to splint the ankle. Took a 1 gallon water jug, cut off the third of the jug around the handle, wrapped the remainder around my ankle/leg and wrapped several feet of duct tape around the whole thing! Great splint, I managed to get the bike turned around and rode that baby outta there!! :banana

Good news - no surgery required, they put on a removable cast (whew - way too much practice for the AT with the stink!!!) and predict I'll be ready to hike with full pack in 10-12 weeks.

I'm seriously thinking about doing the flip flop, working on details now.

Thanks for the well wishes!

Hiker Chris
03-24-2009, 13:20
I say crutches also double as hiking poles... :)

Chenango
03-24-2009, 13:34
I hope it heals quickly for you. You could hike the Long Trail later this summer and do a thru in 2010.

skinewmexico
03-24-2009, 15:32
Didn't you have it in your AT contract that you couldn't ride motorcycles, or skydive, or other dangerous activities?

Mighty Mouse
03-25-2009, 00:33
A word of caution - don't get on the trail until your bone is COMPLETELY healed and give it even more time after that point.

Last year on my thru attempt, I fractured my 4th metatarsal (a foot bone). Wasn't a complete break, but bad enough that I wasn't getting to Maine in shape. I stayed at Uncle Johnny's (some of the BEST folks I've ever met) for over a month to let it heal. I got the OK from the podiatrist to take off again. He said it was all healed up. I slacked the first few days and felt great. Three weeks later, I tore the ligament in my arch in the same foot.

Do I think this was coincidence? No. After sitting on my *ss for over a month and slacking for a few days, my foot was in no shape to have that amount of strain on it. So again, please be cautious when coming back from an injury.

BearII
03-25-2009, 14:57
A word of caution - don't get on the trail until your bone is COMPLETELY healed and give it even more time after that point...

Mighty - I think you're probably right on about this. I saw the Dr again on Monday and he warned they it may even take until early Sept to be ready for the kind of hiking a thru hike takes. I'll take my time and evaluate this as the healing progresses. If all else fails I'm going to be a 2010 thru hiker! One way or the other this is happening!

Thanks for all the support and encouragement (and gentle ribbing - LOL)!! It means a lot to have the WB community's support. Not many people get this idea of a thru hike, quitting work, etc. - your support and good natured laughs are invaluable in helping to keep my spirits up after this major diappointment!