PDA

View Full Version : 100 Hiker Challenge

Pages : [1] 2

Taba
03-15-2009, 21:36
I am a professional hiker with several long distance trails on my resume. I was the 13th hiker to finish the Mountains-to-Sea Trail in North Carolina last year. It was either last year or the year before that the Appalachian Trail finishers hit the 10,000 mark. I am challenging 100 of those hikers or any hiker to join me on the Mountains-to-Sea Trail this year. It is a wonderful alternative to the Appalachian Trail and about 42.8% of the total distance. Once you have done the AT what's next. Grab your backpack and come out with me. I will be hiking the MST both directions this time from May to November. It will take 3 months to go each way. I have written a thru-hiker's manual for the trail so I know the trail and know where to go in town. Hiking the MST is a different experience that everybody should enjoy.

Help me help the Mountains-to-Sea Trail. I would love to see at least 100 people out for this challenge.

Taba

http://trailplace.com/forums/images/misc/progress.gif

theinfamousj
03-15-2009, 22:53
Can I count if I section hike it around my school breaks? What section do you recommend for a four day/three night trip?

4eyedbuzzard
03-15-2009, 22:58
What exactly is a professional hiker? :confused:

Lilred
03-15-2009, 23:07

I want to be a professional hiker. Does it pay well?

cupid
03-15-2009, 23:09
I think that as long as you think you're good at hiking you are a "professional" hiker.

Feral Bill
03-15-2009, 23:26
I think that as long as you think you're good at hiking you are a "professional" hiker.

Nothing wrong with being talented, experienced, etc, but professional means paid.

Mags
03-15-2009, 23:46
This out-of-work, slacker, non-professional hiker who has hiked some trails challenges you to all hike the Benton MacKaye Trail if you want. At 300 miles, you can keep your other professional job, go through areas hardly seen by most hikers, and experience the wonderful beauty of the Southern Apps off the beaten path.

You don't have to hike with me..but I hope we can hook up for a beer sometime.

I do not know what my BMT thru-hiker number is..nor do I care. ;)

Lone Wolf
03-15-2009, 23:55
I am a professional hiker with several long distance trails on my resume. I was the 13th hiker to finish the Mountains-to-Sea Trail in North Carolina last year. It was either last year or the year before that the Appalachian Trail finishers hit the 10,000 mark. I am challenging 100 of those hikers or any hiker to join me on the Mountains-to-Sea Trail this year. It is a wonderful alternative to the Appalachian Trail and about 42.8% of the total distance. Once you have done the AT what's next. Grab your backpack and come out with me. I will be hiking the MST both directions this time from May to November. It will take 3 months to go each way. I have written a thru-hiker's manual for the trail so I know the trail and know where to go in town. Hiking the MST is a different experience that everybody should enjoy.

Help me help the Mountains-to-Sea Trail. I would love to see at least 100 people out for this challenge.

Taba

what makes you a "professional" hiker? somebody pay you?

Pokey2006
03-16-2009, 01:30
And are they taking applications? Cuz I need a job...and I think I'd be pretty good at that professional hiker thing.

Taba
03-16-2009, 02:10
Ok I guess I should explain what I mean about being professional. Let's break the word down professional is someone who works a profession. A profession is an occupation. An occupation is something you do to occupy your time. Yes, professional does mean that you have to be good at it and have an impressive resume. I have chosen to occupy my time with light-weight long distance travel since 1988. I have ridden my bicycle over 40,000 miles and have hiked over 4,000 miles on long distance journeys through 36 states and have been to 49 of them. Every year I spend 4 to 10 months traveling somewhere, somehow. I have found a way to use my 20 years of experience to author the "Thru-Hiker's Manual for the Mountains-to-Sea of Trail North Carolina." I have sold a few copies already and with the help of a photo-journalist from the Raleigh News & Observer who created a documentary of my hike, we have helped to bring more attention to a relatively new trail.

"Thru-Hiker" means Goal Achiever. I don't get paid but I get rewarded. I could be the guy too tired from working in the factory to get out and enjoy any part of life. Too worried about paying the bills with the wife and 3 kids. I don't see myself doing that. I get stir crazy if I stay in one place for more than a month because I know there is something I would rather be doing somewhere else. I like to visit places and sometimes I will stop for a few months. I enjoyed Hawaii for 3 months at the end of my journeys of 2007. It is in my heritage to be nomadic. Since the early 1900's my family traveled with the Ringling Bros. as the trapeze performers called "The Flying Ward's." I became a Flying Ward when I learned how to skydive. I now have 75 jumps.

So to answer the question "What makes me a professional hiker?" By occupying over 3/4 of my time to hiking and working other jobs to pay for hiking and by trying to help others by writing books for them to follow that clear up any confusion for long distance trails, I think I am qualified to make that statement. If you don't like "Professional Hiker" how about "Professional Nomad." Either way my resume and the quality of my work is that of professional status. People retire after doing something for 20 years. I am just beginning. This is what I do to sustain my life and like I said I don't get paid but I get rewarded. Maybe someday I will find out how to get paid.

Taba
03-16-2009, 02:21
Can I count if I section hike it around my school breaks? What section do you recommend for a four day/three night trip?

Yes, you count. I was the only long-distance hiker on the trrail that I know of last year. Anybody who does any length of the trail counts. I would be happy to see 100 section hikers. At least people are seeing what a great journey the MST is. If you don't mind water crossings the Harper Creek is a beautiful area. You go from Ripshin Ridge to Beacon Heights. It's 25.87 miles and has great water and excellent camping.

Taba

fiddlehead
03-16-2009, 03:31
C'mon over to Thailand. I have a great trail that No one has hiked yet.
You can be the first to thru-hike it.

It's in the jungle, we have cobras, wasps that have been known to kill and elephant, monkees, illegal Burmese workers living in the mountains, and, oh yeah, elephants that charge people sometimes. (someone even saw a python they said) Good fun.

You can write a book about it.

ps. i'm sort of joking. the Burmese people have all been friendly, there's more cobras around my house than i've seen in the jungle, the elephant charged me 1,000 miles away from where the trail is.

It's not the AT, but it is good fun.

Lone Wolf
03-16-2009, 03:36
So to answer the question "What makes me a professional hiker?" By occupying over 3/4 of my time to hiking and working other jobs to pay for hiking and by trying to help others by writing books for them to follow that clear up any confusion for long distance trails, I think I am qualified to make that statement. If you don't like "Professional Hiker" how about "Professional Nomad." Either way my resume and the quality of my work is that of professional status. People retire after doing something for 20 years. I am just beginning. This is what I do to sustain my life and like I said I don't get paid but I get rewarded. Maybe someday I will find out how to get paid.

nope. nothing professional about walking with a pack. no training needed. it's just a recreational activity. you're a hobbyist is all

OldStormcrow
03-16-2009, 08:12

Hmmmmm......much money in that? Perhaps I've been going about this all wrong.....

4eyedbuzzard
03-16-2009, 08:52
If you're selling a trail guide, seems to me that would more make you a professional writer, or an aspiring one. Nothing wrong with writing and selling a book or trail guide. When I hear someone describe themselves as a "Professional Hiker", though, it tends to bring to mind the following image...

http://www.showtimearabia.com/$Common/Media/Bob/470x282/Yogi%20Bear%2010.jpg

Just FWIW...

McKeever
03-16-2009, 09:19
Are you an official w/the MST? My understanding is that it is 500 miles of trail, and the rest is road walking which can in no way be compared to 42% of the AT. It's good to bring positive publicity to a trail, but misinformation can cause damage. That also goes for creditability.

Mags
03-16-2009, 12:10
Perhaps professional horn tooter? ;)

By your definition ,many of us are "professional hikers". We just don't need to list every mile hiked and ever trail walked. ;)

I guess what we are saying is that it is not what you are saying..it is how you are saying it. "Extreme" (for an earlier thread) and "professional" hiker obviously aren't playing well to the audience.

You may want to re-think how you are packaging your product...

Guess it really doesn't matter. Good luck on your extreme professional hiking!

sheepdog
03-16-2009, 12:22
If you're selling a trail guide, seems to me that would more make you a professional writer, or an aspiring one. Nothing wrong with writing and selling a book or trail guide. When I hear someone describe themselves as a "Professional Hiker", though, it tends to bring to mind the following image...

http://www.showtimearabia.com/$Common/Media/Bob/470x282/Yogi%20Bear%2010.jpg

Just FWIW...
Hey is that Willma Flintstone in that pick i nick basket?

JAK
03-16-2009, 12:32
Amateur means you do it for the love of it.
Profession means you do it for money.

JAK
03-16-2009, 12:35
I suppose the root meaning of professional is that you profess to be able to do it to a certain standard of performance.

An amateur may acheive or exceed those standards, but the essence of the word is that they do it for the love of it.

Taba
03-16-2009, 15:10
I see that the word professional is not very well liked and that some people may have taken the meaning of the word the wrong way. I say that I am a professional because of the quality of what I know how to do. Professional means that you make a living doing one thing extremely well. I have spent 20 years out of 34 doing the same thing and refining my skills. I earn my way through life by walking. It is like being a professional driver. Everybody drives a car but there are certain people out there that depend on a car to earn a living. I rely on my backpack. Everybody is too concerned whether or not someone makes money (dollars) as a professional. What if that driver gets stiffed at the end of the night? Is he still a professional driver because he didn't get paid? The quality of work is what I was talking about. I am not "tooting my horn" just proving experience. You asked me to explain myself. I did that and now you are upset because you think I am trying to upstage every other hiker. I am not going to call myself an amatuer hiker and the word "Extreme" came from Ted Richardson a photo journalist for the Raliegh News & Observer. I did not call myself that. Yes I do believe that there are other professional hikers out there. For example, I believe that "Lion King" could be considered a professional hiker. If you spend 40 hours a week at a job you are a professional. I don't do anything else but hike.

I apologize if your interpretation of what I said is negative. It was not intended to cause controversy. My intention was to draw a group of people to a new experience. And that was supposed to be the main focus of this thread.

The 100 hiker challenge. How about it is there anyone up for the challenge?

Taba

The Weasel
03-16-2009, 15:17

It's kind of like being an investment banker, without the perks.

TW

TD55
03-16-2009, 16:09
Only if you have a job at it, like being a guide or testing gear, or doing something that pays you for hiking. For sure, the first requirment is probably being able to not ?alk in circles and get lost.

Rentman
03-16-2009, 16:28
Here ya got a guy wanting to promote an fairly untraveled Trail and all ya want to do is pick apart his meaning of "Professional", gotta love WhiteBlaze.........................:p

buckwheat
03-16-2009, 16:42
Is someone paying you to hike (or for example, pay you to write about your hikes)? Do you have endorsement deals? Are you working for Backpacker Magazine and they're paying you to go hike and then write glowing reviews of advertisers' wares?

If so, congratulations, you're a "professional hiker." Otherwise, you're just tramping.

Nothing wrong with tramping, but it don't pay.

TD55
03-16-2009, 16:45
Here ya got a guy wanting to promote an fairly untraveled Trail and all ya want to do is pick apart his meaning of "Professional", gotta love WhiteBlaze.........................:p
Sorta like the ral world. Whats the cyber world coming to?

TD55
03-16-2009, 16:47
Sorta like the ral world. Whats the cyber world coming to?
OK, somebody jump on my spelling of the word real.

ColdFire
03-16-2009, 16:49
Professional -
"Less technically, it may also refer to a person having impressive competence in a particular activity.[6] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional#cite_note-5)" - Wikipedia

lol Yea this forum really amazes me sometimes. Their are so many vultures just waiting to jump on every post to just tear it apart with no regards to the topic or the intended message. I think it's just to increase post count or to increase the size of their E-P**** :cool:

Anyways Taba good luck with your goal :)

Pootz
03-16-2009, 17:41
TABA thanks for bringing attention to this trail and good luck with your hike.

How is it that some of you can take an invatation to hike a trail and turn it into something negative. Who cares if he calls himself a profeshional hiker. This in no way takes away from your hiking accomplishments.

Mags
03-16-2009, 18:01
I think many of us were just amused.

The posts have been like Gen MacArthur. Lots of the "I" pronoun with a rattling off of achievements. :)

My standard excuse: I'm a rude, sarcastic NE transplant..and love to be a court jester.

If people want hugs, kisses, rainbows and kittens, please go to the Shambala Center (http://www.boulder.shambhala.org/)here in Boulder.

Perhaps we should all list our resumes with each post? :banana

Taba
03-16-2009, 18:55
What are the tools of the trade for a professional doctor or a professional lawyer. They have certain instruments they use to become better at what they chose to occupy their time with. If that professional attorney decides to no longer charge for his services and does his work pro-bono is he no longer a professional at what he does? What if that was his only intention for going to law school? So that he could use his talent to help others who might need someone who has made it his profession to learn about.

This was from cold Fire:

Professional - "Less technically, it may also refer to a person having impressive competence in a particular activity.[6] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional#cite_note-5)" - Wikipedia

Lone Wolf
03-16-2009, 18:57
dude, you're just a walker as we all are. you ain't no pro :D

CrumbSnatcher
03-16-2009, 19:05
alot of the people on this website have hiked more miles by accident than you have on purpose :D

Egads
03-16-2009, 19:05
I'm just recreational hiker trash

garlic08
03-16-2009, 19:06
One yardstick I use is this: An amateur does it until he gets it right. A professional does it until he can't get it wrong. Sure, money helps, but it's not the only measure. Lots of volunteer firefighters are true professionals at what they do.

Taba
03-16-2009, 19:10
alot of the people on this website have hiked more miles by accident than you have on purpose :D

How many miles have you walked on accident?

CrumbSnatcher
03-16-2009, 19:16
One yardstick I use is this: An amateur does it until he gets it right. A professional does it until he can't get it wrong. Sure, money helps, but it's not the only measure. Lots of volunteer firefighters are true professionals at what they do.
professional- one skilled or specially trained. your right about the volunteer fire fighters. but professionals can get it wrong. or pro race car drivers wouldn't put their cars in the wall from time to time. lawyers wouldn't lose cases.,etc. s*** happens

Slimer
03-16-2009, 19:16
geez, its a shame the guy gets micro-analyzed simply for trying to promote a trail.
Its no wonder more and more are drifting away from this site.

CrumbSnatcher
03-16-2009, 19:25
How many miles have you walked on accident?
zeroooooooooo miles by accident! just giving you s***.(i guess you missed the big grin,just messin' with you smiley face)i think its great you can do it full time,im jealous! let us know where to pick up this guide book when it comes out.

Taba
03-16-2009, 19:46
"The Thru-Hiker's Manual for the Mountains-to-Sea Trail of North Carolina" has already been released. Check the post "Now Available" in this forum for details.

I think it's fun to poke at each other and maybe the professional word wasn't what you wanted to hear from me. But the fact of the matter is that there are wonderful adventures out there to explore and I found another worthy of sharing with other hikers. If you don't want to except the challenge you can't really say anything. The challenge is for every hiker to do at least 1 week on the trail with me or on your own. Let's help the Mountains-to-Sea Trail develope. I assure you that you will have fun.
Taba

Mags
03-16-2009, 19:57
Good luck with your goal! Have fun..and take lots of photos (Or be like some of my friends and take a FRIEND who takes lots of photos... :) )

Taba
03-17-2009, 13:57
Thank you Mags, I think it would be fun to watch the Mountains-to-Sea Trail grow. It is a similiar experience to the Appalachian Trail without thousands of hikers. I believe that if we get enough hikers who want to see the mountains from the AT and finish by swimming in the Atlantic Ocean, that the towns along the way will start to have festivals just like "Trail Days". This 100 hiker challenge will be to the benefit of everybody. The hikers get a wonderful journey and the story to tell and may even learn something. It will bring publicity to the Friends of the Mountains-to-Sea Trail. That would help them raise funds for the re-routes purchasing land or even getting it donated. The towns would benefit also. In current terminology, it would stimulate the economy. 100 hikers would go to every town for resupply, hotel, and recreation. Say that the average amount of money spent by each hiker is $100.00 in each town. Let's just say that there are around 20 full resupply towns. This would create a hiker season on the MST which would allow Backpacker Magazine, Teva, Leki, Granite Gear, etc. to have more options to increase the popularity of what we love to do. Isn't that what we are supposed to try and encourage? There are a lot of people out there with backpacks in the closet. Dust them off and go hike the MST. I would love to see 100 hikers next year thru-hike and finish.

Thank you,
Scot "Taba" Ward

All I am asking is for 100 people who want to help create another avenue of adventure. One week or 100 miles.

Taba
03-17-2009, 17:28
Are you an official w/the MST? My understanding is that it is 500 miles of trail, and the rest is road walking which can in no way be compared to 42% of the AT. It's good to bring positive publicity to a trail, but misinformation can cause damage. That also goes for creditability.

No I am not an official and I was talking about total mileage (distance of walking). I am just an advocate for goal achievers. If you would like we can make this a question the trail forum. You the ask the question to give someone the opportunity to answer. Let's expand our knowledge of new territory. Anything that helps to bring more hikers to North Carolina to hike the MST.

You are correct about the MST being half in the woods and half on the road. They are usually country roads with light traffic. A hike is a hike. Are you not open to something a little different? It's tough no matter how you look at it. The MST has different challenges and different weather conditions to prepare for. The sense of accomplishment when you finish it is the same, maybe better.

Taba

Taba
03-22-2009, 13:50
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKeever http://whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=802189#post802189)

As far as the credibility goes. What are you questioning? If it is the credibility of the information I have in the Manual then I encourage you to check out this link which is a Trailplace post from a hiker who has accepted the "100 Hiker Challenge."

http://trailplace.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1756

Or hike the trail yourself using "The Thru-Hiker's Manual for the Mountains-to-Sea Trail of North Carolina" and then get back to me on the credibility thing.

Taba

Big Dawg
03-22-2009, 14:27
It seems whenever I can get out to do a trip, (which is not as often as I would like, b/c of being a daddy, and running my landscaping business), I usually end up planning another AT section hike. Although, the MST is so tempting b/c of locale,,,, it passes close (Greensboro) to where I live. I'm w/in 20 minutes of the trail. That being said, if you're coming thru this area during a time that my schedule permits, I'd love to join you for at least a few days. For a number of years now, I've been trying to talk myself into section hiking the MST, mostly b/c of proximity. Your challenge may be the kick in the butt I need.:D

Taba
03-22-2009, 17:16
There is a 43 mile stretch from South Walnut Cove to Bryan Park that's half road and half around lakes Brandt and Townsend. It would be a 3 to 4 day trip and I will be there around the 2nd week in July and in the beginning of October on my way back, going the other direction. That is a great section and I know a great lakeside beach for swimming. There are several deer in the area. The road walk follows bicycle routes and it runs through small farms and a couple of small towns. Resupply and fast food will not be a problem around here. And I have some friends in the area, just in case we need them.

Taba

beakerman
03-23-2009, 00:36
Taba in today's terms most everyone thinks paid when they hear the phrase: "professional anything" It's a common misconception and really when you think about it quite silly. These same people will criticize an individual for "unprofessional" behavior when that person does not perform to some expected norm or standard of behavior right? Yet they don't see that getting paid is irrelevant to the discussion.

i would say you probably are a professional hiker...i will give youthe benefit of the doubt on your skill level (which is what I would say is teh halmark of professional) and say that you are attempting to get paid for your hiking experience by means of a guide book so yep you are a professional hiker by definition.

I'll have to check out the book here in the near future. Good luck with it in the mean time.

Big Dawg
03-23-2009, 07:29
There is a 43 mile stretch from South Walnut Cove to Bryan Park that's half road and half around lakes Brandt and Townsend. It would be a 3 to 4 day trip and I will be there around the 2nd week in July and in the beginning of October on my way back, going the other direction. That is a great section and I know a great lakeside beach for swimming. There are several deer in the area. The road walk follows bicycle routes and it runs through small farms and a couple of small towns. Resupply and fast food will not be a problem around here. And I have some friends in the area, just in case we need them.

Taba

Sounds good. I may only be able to join ya for a 2 day trip. I'll PM ya & we"ll talk details!

neighbor dave
03-23-2009, 08:44
we're all jus' "practicing"
(i.e.) the certificates you see on the wall in your lawyers or doctors office.
practicing medicine, or practicing law.
i agree wif da wolf. it's jus' walkin':D

Taba
03-23-2009, 12:29
My publisher has agreed to pay for my expenses while hiking. So I guess now I am being paid to hike and update my guidebook for the MST and to write several other trail guides in the near future.

I think that after 20 years of doing the same thing that I have finished practicing. Besides who would you rather trust your life to a practicing doctor or a professional doctor. I am beyond the inexperienced level of a practice hiker. But I am willing to help any practice hiker become a professional.

How much money to I have earn at hiking to be a professional?

Taba

Taba
03-23-2009, 12:32
Do you want receipts or check stubs?:D

neighbor dave
03-23-2009, 13:38
you, like everyone else is practicing here on planet earth :-?

Manwich
03-23-2009, 14:09
ain't no such thing as a professional hiker. Gussie it up all you want but one thing you won't find here is that status symbol. You seem more like a shill to me. Dare I provoke it... I'm surprised you haven't posted the ISBN number and a link to where to directly buy your book.

Taba
03-23-2009, 17:34
good idea

Frosty
03-23-2009, 20:44
Taba in today's terms most everyone thinks paid when they hear the phrase: "professional anything" It's a common misconception and really when you think about it quite silly.Not a misconception at all, and certainly not silly to associate professional to a person engaging in a profession. The most common definition of profession is the manner in which one makes a living, so why wouldn't that come to mind?

These same people will criticize an individual for "unprofessional" behavior when that person does not perform to some expected norm or standard of behavior right? Yet they don't see that getting paid is irrelevant to the discussion.I've haven't heard much behavior called unprofessional except as relates to a job, and then usually not a lower-tier job. If you are not a professional, how can your behavior be criticized as unprofessional?

I can't think of one off-hand, but I suppose there could be examples of unprofessional hobbyist behavior. It is hard to imagine hiker behavior called unprofessional, though. There have been lots of criticism of various hiker behaviors on these pages, from not paying in honor system hostels to peeing in shelters, but I've never heard such hiker behavior called "unprofessional."

Low Impact
03-23-2009, 21:58
Jesus, someone hang me from the nearest tree.

Taba
03-25-2009, 11:41
You guys are unbelievable. Why can't there be somebody who earns his way through life by hiking. If that is someone's only job then why can't it be a professional career? There are several hikers that I would call professional. I spend every spring, summer and fall hiking and take the winter off. Just like a professional teacher I take some time off but I am always planning my next years adventure. I do not plan on doing anything else anytime soon. This is what I love and have been doing for over 20 years. I find it funny that the people who have the most to say about the word professional, haven't even finished one trail whether it be the 280 mile Long Trail or the Appalachian Trail. Like "Totem" When are you going to finish a trail? Come out with me for the 100 hiker challenge and then tell me if you think I am professional or not.

Taba

Remember the focus for this post is the "100 Hiker Challenge."

CaseyB
03-25-2009, 12:54
Jesus, someone hang me from the nearest tree.
First we have to find a professional hangman.

restless
03-25-2009, 13:18
"The Thru-Hiker's Manual for the Mountains-to-Sea Trail of North Carolina" has already been released. Check the post "Now Available" in this forum for details.

I think it's fun to poke at each other and maybe the professional word wasn't what you wanted to hear from me. But the fact of the matter is that there are wonderful adventures out there to explore and I found another worthy of sharing with other hikers. If you don't want to except the challenge you can't really say anything. The challenge is for every hiker to do at least 1 week on the trail with me or on your own. Let's help the Mountains-to-Sea Trail develope. I assure you that you will have fun.
Taba

While I like others take issue with the word "professional", I must say that the MST is a wonderful trail, at least the section I've seen (Clingmans Dome to Moses Cone area). What I do take issue wiith is the thought that simply because some one or some group lace up a pair of lightweight shoes and heft a pack on their back somehow "develops" a trail. If you want to see some wonderful mountain vistas and experience the best the southern Appalachians have to offer, by all means the MST is one of the best. If you want to help develop it, volunteer for one of the many trail projects that the Friends of the MST have ongoing. The AT would not have been built simply by hiking it, neither will the MST.

restless
03-25-2009, 13:21
BTW-
Did I mention the fact that I am a "professional trailbuilder"? ( Yes I do get paid). I think it sounds way cooler than "professional hiker"

Frosty
03-25-2009, 14:15
You guys are unbelievable. Why can't there be somebody who earns his way through life by hiking.There could, there just hasn't been any examples of someone who was paid to hike.

Paid to guide, paid to write, paid to test gear, but never have I seen an ad saying, Wanted: someone to hike year after year. You don't have to write articles/books, guide anyone, test any gear. All you have to do is hike a lot, nohting else required. Will pay $50,000.

There are a lot of hikers who earn a living in conjunction with their hiking. I bought a Packa from Cedar Tree. But I gave him money, not for him to hike, but for him to make me a Packa (and a fine job he did). I bought more hiking books and DVDs (and a half doxen VCR tapes) from hikers. But again, I didn't pay them to hike, I paid them for making a DVD, writing a book, whatever.

It isn't that big a deal if few here agree with you. There are darn few topics here where everyone is in agreement. Call yourself what ever you want. That is a lot easier than trying to make other people call you what you want to be called.

kanga
03-25-2009, 14:25
if you have to hike to write the book, test the gear, etc. then you're paid to hike.

saimyoji
03-25-2009, 14:54
if you have to hike to write the book, test the gear, etc. then you're paid to hike.

well ****. add bill bryson to the list.

Taba
03-25-2009, 14:59
Bill Bryson wrote a story not a manual or guidebook.

Taba
03-28-2009, 00:19
Is there anyone who will take on the 100 Hiker Challenge? There are 3 people so far who have agreed to it already. I thought this site was full of hikers. For the most part all I have seen is a bunch of editors who want to pick apart every word in every post and be negative about it. I think you're scared to go into the woods.

Come on 1 week or 100 miles on the Mountains-to-Sea Trail. I am still going to hike it both directions this year. Who is going to join me?

Taba

fiddlehead
03-28-2009, 02:09
I thought this site was full of hikers. For the most part all I have seen is a bunch of editors who want to pick apart every word in every post and be negative about it. I think you're scared to go into the woods.
Who is going to join me?

Taba

Maybe they're out hiking (the trail of THEIR choice)

I'm on another continent, but you are more than welcome to join me on the trail i've been designing here in Asia. It's pretty scenic with some of the world's top beaches in the views and even on the trail at one point, but (I realize it's not for everyone with cobras and elephants and gigantic wasps and all)

But I am heading to the PCT in July.

Taba
03-28-2009, 03:09
Maybe they're out hiking (the trail of THEIR choice)

I'm on another continent, but you are more than welcome to join me on the trail i've been designing here in Asia. It's pretty scenic with some of the world's top beaches in the views and even on the trail at one point, but (I realize it's not for everyone with cobras and elephants and gigantic wasps and all)

But I am heading to the PCT in July.

Great if they are hiking. That just brings more attention to our sport/lifestyle. I don't mind snakes, large mammals, and bugs. You finish designing the trail and I will hike it. Challenge accepted!!!

Good luck and good weather on the PCT.

Taba

The Mountains-to-Sea Trail has the posibilities of being just as fun as the Appalachian Trail it just needs to see more people. The more hikers that are on the trail, the more the towns would realize the market and will increase the support for thru-hikers. Just think if 100 hikers went into 20 towns and spent $100 each in each town each year. How much money would that bring to North Carolina? In today's terminology "It would stimulate the economy." We would see more outfitters, hostels and festivals in all of these towns. Wouldn't it be nice to go to another festival just as big as "Trail Days." Why is that a bad goal to have? Why is everybody giving me so much slack because of one word in the entire post when all I am trying to do is help our culture grow and create more avenues for adventure. Quit being negative and help? It's really not a lot to ask.

Taba
03-28-2009, 03:27
By the way, everybody who hikes the Appalachian Trail will be hiking 3.5 miles of the Mountains-to-Sea Trail when they get to Clingman's Dome before the MST leaves and goes east.

Lone Wolf
03-28-2009, 03:32
By the way, everybody who hikes the Appalachian Trail will be hiking 3.5 miles of the Mountains-to-Sea Trail when they get to Clingman's Dome before the MST leaves and goes east.

since when? so you're saying the AT/MST are one in the same for 3.5 miles north of clingmans dome then the MST hooks a right and goes across the road?

jrwiesz
03-28-2009, 04:06
...Yes, professional does mean that you have to be good at it and have an impressive resume...

I'm a registered nurse, I belong to a profession. I have a "license to practice"; it doesn't mean, I have to be any good at it, or have an impressive resume. Just sayin'.
Enjoy your work on exposing the MST to more fellow hikers.:sun

ColdFire
03-28-2009, 04:25
lol this thread is still going? this forum should be renamed whiteflame.net

it's just too hard to wish the guy luck with his goal and be done with it? but noooo... pick a part every aspect of it from specifics to logistics to geographical accuracy and let the flames fly!!! LW maybe you didnt get close enough to death to really realize what a great new lease on life you have. why dont you get off your high horse and try to be a decent and helpful person and encourage ppl to help Taba out with his goal? and restless? totem? *** are you nubs thinking?

i saw a thread on here awhile back that someone said you people really need to get out more and quit being such pompus ass's on this forum. take the advice and do everyone here a favor.

now please all feel free to pick apart my grammar and punctuation and whatever else you want and prove my point right.

and btw good luck once again Taba :)

Taba
03-28-2009, 10:55
since when? so you're saying the AT/MST are one in the same for 3.5 miles north of clingmans dome then the MST hooks a right and goes across the road?

Yes, I am saying that. That is where this trail starts. If you go to Clingman's Dome you will see the signs for the MST. Right after Mt. Collins shelter is where the MST leaves the AT.

Taba
03-28-2009, 11:03
Then I profess to be a hiker and a good one at that. It's scary to think that a nurse feels that they don't have to be good at their job. America's medical system at work, huh?

Taba
03-28-2009, 11:18
The Appalachian Trail is like hiking in the mall, where theres lots of other mall walkers.

4eyedbuzzard
03-28-2009, 11:22
The Appalachian Trail is like hiking in the mall, where theres lots of other mall walkers.
Guessing you haven't read this one...

http://tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:Vjbe_DYX5RxawM:http://selfhelprevolution.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/how_to_win_friends_and_influence_people.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://selfhelprevolution.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/how_to_win_friends_and_influence_people.jpg&imgrefurl=http://selfhelprevolution.wordpress.com/2009/02/16/how-to-win-friends-and-influence-people/&usg=__hHUjs5X3pxmeIv_89-yA2X-0DMQ=&h=500&w=309&sz=31&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=Vjbe_DYX5RxawM:&tbnh=130&tbnw=80&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dhow%2Bto%2Bwin%2Bfriends%2Band%2Binfl uence%2Bpeople%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1)

Lone Wolf
03-28-2009, 12:04

oh. but hiking the MST is like climbing everest :)

Lone Wolf
03-28-2009, 12:05
ain't most of it road walking?

ed bell
03-28-2009, 12:33
Is there anyone who will take on the 100 Hiker Challenge? There are 3 people so far who have agreed to it already. I thought this site was full of hikers. For the most part all I have seen is a bunch of editors who want to pick apart every word in every post and be negative about it. I think you're scared to go into the woods. <snip>

Well, to be fair, around 30 different folks have posted to your thread. I think significantly less have picked apart your posts and were negative. As far as "scared to go in the woods", there's one reason for the negative posts. For the record, I remember you getting a warm welcome here when you first started posting.

Big Dawg
03-28-2009, 13:14
ain't most of it road walking?

about half.

Tipi Walter
03-28-2009, 13:18
nope. nothing professional about walking with a pack. no training needed. it's just a recreational activity. you're a hobbyist is all

I think I agree although the word "hobbyist" seems a bit out of place, sort of like a couch-potato stamp collector or something.

And my question for Taba is this: How are you going to get 100 hikers to stealth camp around Greensboro and not get caught? Could get a bit awkward.

Perhaps professional horn tooter? ;)

By your definition ,many of us are "professional hikers". We just don't need to list every mile hiked and ever trail walked. ;)

I guess what we are saying is that it is not what you are saying..it is how you are saying it. "Extreme" (for an earlier thread) and "professional" hiker obviously aren't playing well to the audience.

You may want to re-think how you are packaging your product...

Guess it really doesn't matter. Good luck on your extreme professional hiking!

Self-promotion and tooting our own horn is a common human drive and backpackers are no different or less ambitious than the rest of humanity. I tried to get on Taba's Trail Journal site but it came up blank. My simple advice to Taba would be to let your trip reports do the talking, and sure, invite backpackers to join you.

lol Yea this forum really amazes me sometimes. Their are so many vultures just waiting to jump on every post to just tear it apart with no regards to the topic or the intended message. I think it's just to increase post count or to increase the size of their E-P**** :cool:

Anyways Taba good luck with your goal :)

I think people react quickly and bluntly to a fellow backpacker when they blatantly hang out their 'superior qualifications' for all to see. It rankles. But then again, he did make a bonafide invite to anyone willing to hike the MST. I would surely like to join him or at least do some of my favorite sections with him(Linville Gorge/Greentown/Harpers/Trout Lake), but to be honest I have a feeling he'd be moving way faster than I'd want to go. When I see the words 'pro hiker', I immediately think of 20-30 mile days, way beyond my hiking speed.

There's more truth to this than you'd think. Some of the real backpacking legends hike and live outdoors their whole lives and keep their mouths shut about it. Word gets around slowly and a few other people know about them. They die off and stay hidden for the most part.

As soon as I read this I thought of the hubris of expert backpacking, and then having a tree fall on my tent or a random lightning strike. My theory is, what you love will kill you. If a person loves backpacking, camping and living outdoors, he'll probably die while doing these things. So, a 'professional' is just someone who lasted to the bitter end and finally got it wrong. Or right, depends on point of view.

It seems whenever I can get out to do a trip, (which is not as often as I would like, b/c of being a daddy, and running my landscaping business), I usually end up planning another AT section hike. Although, the MST is so tempting b/c of locale,,,, it passes close (Greensboro) to where I live. I'm w/in 20 minutes of the trail. That being said, if you're coming thru this area during a time that my schedule permits, I'd love to join you for at least a few days. For a number of years now, I've been trying to talk myself into section hiking the MST, mostly b/c of proximity. Your challenge may be the kick in the butt I need.:D

Taba

I know the Greensboro section well and this is where I should've put my above question regarding 100 backpackers stealth camping. It should be said, some of the MST is closed to overnight camping. Doesn't make much sense, does it? I have a stupid question: Is the road walking sections open to overnight camping?? Or is it like the usual "wait until it gets dark and scoot on over into the treeline"?

While I like others take issue with the word "professional", I must say that the MST is a wonderful trail, at least the section I've seen (Clingmans Dome to Moses Cone area).

Yeah, I love the Moses Cone area, Trout Lake and the hike up to the Temple of the Gods(Rich Mt). I've backpacked this area for years, swam in Trout Lake and even stealth camped around Bass Lake one night. It's hard to believe a long distance trail passes thru my old backyard.

There could, there just hasn't been any examples of someone who was paid to hike.

Paid to guide, paid to write, paid to test gear, but never have I seen an ad saying, Wanted: someone to hike year after year. You don't have to write articles/books, guide anyone, test any gear. All you have to do is hike a lot, nohting else required. Will pay $50,000.

The reality is that most long term backpackers and "always out" types are impoverished self-chosen bums willing to forego marriage and the indoor family life for the free ranging glorious nylon humping world of wilderness and long-trail living. So, swap the word 'professional' with the words 'seriously committed' and you end up with the same thing. To be committed to living out of a backpack permanently means, for the most part, living in poverty with intermittent work, living off the grid and without a home, not having a car to support or tie you down to a certain backpacking area(a long-term parked car raises red flags), and seriously avoiding becoming a Dad with mouths to feed. These types get the most bag nights and the most trail miles. Why? Cuz they never stop living outdoors.

The speed hikers and triple crowners can make a name for themselves in one short season/year, and they can parlay their 'fame' into possible gear endorsements/whatever, but the guys living out all the time and with the most bag nights hardly ever get noticed and the only records they break won't be set until after 10 or 20 years of living out. To me, the only real professional hiker is the one who always lives out, period. It's their life, not a hobby. My fetid opinion.

Sly
03-28-2009, 13:48
You guys are unbelievable. Why can't there be somebody who earns his way through life by hiking.

There are a few but they're generally called guides, backcountry rangers, etc.

Taba
03-29-2009, 19:53
Well, to be fair, around 30 different folks have posted to your thread. I think significantly less have picked apart your posts and were negative. As far as "scared to go in the woods", there's one reason for the negative posts. For the record, I remember you getting a warm welcome here when you first started posting.

I did get a warm welcome here and I thank you all for that. I have received a lot of support and would like to continue to acquire more friends. I actually enjoy the friendly combativeness. It keeps me sharp and focused on my goal. I believe that we are all friends when we debate but turn to enemies when we argue. I have been poking back at those people who have been the most verbal about being against my ideas without actually looking at the possibilities of the positive results from the 100 Hiker Challenge. They see one word they did not like and turned the focus of this thread into a negative brawl. Trails are built for hikers. If there were no hikers then why build trails? I was the only long-distance hiker on the 1,000 mile MST last year, that I know of. The FMST did not build the trail just for me and the other 12 people who have finished it. They built it for you. I am just trying to help the MST grow in popularity. I think it has a lot of potential of being just as fun and even more challenging then the AT. The MST is around 20 years old or so and has only seen 13 finishers when the AT has seen 10,000. Let's populate the MST and create another wonderful avenue for adventure. It's not that hard to hike, just not popular. If we, collectively, bring attention to the MST it would increase the demand for new stores to open up that cater to hikers. That would bring in money for the towns and may convince the land owners around the trail to work with the FMST to allow the trail to be routed through their property. Then the trail would be moved off the roads. It might even sway them to sell the land or to donate it. The only way that this will happen is if the MST starts to see more people interested in hiking it. I hiked it last year knowing all of this and wrote the Manual to help this trail and the hikers who would attempt it. My main goal was to fix the camping issues of this trail. I camped at a lot of churches along the way and found 108 of them that would be possible locations for camping and water sources, by way of water spigots. There might still be a few sopts along the trail where camping might be a challenge or illegal, but isn't that part of the adventure. How many of us have stealth camped in the Smokies or in the Whites? Why did we have to do that?

Let's all get together to help the MST grow and develope into a great adventure. Let's keep focused on the positiveness of what could come from the success of the 100 Hiker Challenge. I don't mind answering your questions but I ask that you stop trying to create any more issues than the trail already has. I am trying to solve problems not bring more on.

Thank you,
Scot "Taba" Ward

P.S. My jabs like "I think you scared to go into the woods" are all in good fun and were said to stir you all up. Looks like it worked.

Big Dawg
03-29-2009, 20:01
Well said Taba! Keep up the drumbeat! I've always thought it would be cool to start a trail in the mountains & end at the coast, or vice versa. :sun

saimyoji
03-29-2009, 20:52
Bill Bryson wrote a story not a manual or guidebook.

so what?

Taba
03-29-2009, 20:59
so what?

Another example of someone who doesn't get the point.

Taba

Frosty
03-29-2009, 21:15
Another example of someone who doesn't get the point.

TabaSo you are saying that Bill Bryson didn't got paid to hike? Well, I agree. Just like guides are paid to guide, not paid to hike, writers are paid to write, not paid to hike.

Back to the MST, not sure why I am disinterested in this trail. Could be that it really isn't a trail yet because it is half road walking, but then the Ice Age Trail fascinates me and that has a lot of road walking. Most trails I read about make me want to hike them. The only three I can think of that leave me cold are the MST, Florida Trail, and Centennial Trail.

Maybe if someone paid me to hike them... :D

Taba
03-29-2009, 21:28
That is part of the freedom of choice. However, shouldn't you as a hiker show support to all trails, whether you want to hike them or not, to help our culture grow in psoitive ways.

Hiker is a job description that we use to tell people that we are all adventures. So I guess what I was saying by "Professional Hiker" is that I am a "Professional Adventurer" where as 3/4 of my life have been on lightweight long-distance journeys. With some vacations in between. To truly be a professional you have to first believe you are and act like one.

saimyoji
03-29-2009, 22:02
So you are saying that Bill Bryson didn't got paid to hike? Well, I agree. Just like guides are paid to guide, not paid to hike, writers are paid to write, not paid to hike.

and this was my point. regardless of what the product is, your not being paid for your walking, your being paid for what you produce. you wrote a guidebook? good for you. bryson wrote a funny story, good for him. again, so what? do you think you are better than bryson because of your product?

from all your talking, taba, i'm thinking you're the one who doesn't get it.

you want people to hike the MST? good for you. you want to call yourself a "professional hiker?" so far, from what you've said here, i think you already find that most don't agree with you. most do agree that hiking is good. it is good. but claiming to be something you're not, thats not so good.

get it? :rolleyes:

Hey, look at that. I must be channeling Jack. :D

Taba
03-29-2009, 22:13
Then let's agree to disagree about this topic and get back to the focus of the post. Remember, the 100 Hiker Challenge?

Tipi Walter
03-29-2009, 22:44
Back to the MST, not sure why I am disinterested in this trail. Could be that it really isn't a trail yet because it is half road walking, but then the Ice Age Trail fascinates me and that has a lot of road walking. Most trails I read about make me want to hike them. The only three I can think of that leave me cold are the MST, Florida Trail, and Centennial Trail.
:D

A good portion of the MST goes thru some of the wildest and most remote country in North Carolina, including Linville Gorge, the Steels Creek area, Greentown/Upper Creek area(with a gorge of its own as good a Linville), the Harpers Creek watersheds, Raider Camp, and skirts Lost Cove Creek and the cliffs, and further north up into the Price Park, Trout Lake and the Moses Cone area. The blue blaze potential alone is worth tackling this section of the trail. And after you reach Rich Mt above Trout Lake, just turn around and head back down south to Linville Gorge again. If a person could do this loop about 50 times he'd never have to see a town or a couch again.

NEPilgrim
03-29-2009, 23:00
Taba, good luck on your hike & getting others to hike it! I think it's great that you want to bring more attention to the MST.

Having said that, that's what this post should've been about only. That should've been the focus, hiking the MST. You blurred that focus somewhat when you called yourself a "professional hiker." You distorted your point with your own post. Chalk me up as another hiker who believes there's no such thing. The word hiker is also not a job description. You are a self-proclaimed pro-hiker, and even if there was such a thing as a pro-hiker, so what? It's a title and means nothing.

Besides, professional doesn't just mean you get paid for doing something, but that you underwent specialized training for what it is you're getting paid to do, and by another "professional."

At any rate, good luck with your hike, and do fix your trail journals link. Like someone said, let others read those and let the hikes speak for themselves.

Pilgrim.

jrwiesz
03-30-2009, 11:09
First we have to find a professional hangman.

Zep did a professional job on their version.

Just sayin'. :D

restless
03-30-2009, 17:16
I Trails are built for hikers. If there were no hikers then why build trails? I was the only long-distance hiker on the 1,000 mile MST last year, that I know of. The FMST did not build the trail just for me and the other 12 people who have finished it. They built it for you. I am just trying to help the MST grow in popularity. I think it has a lot of potential of being just as fun and even more challenging then the AT. The MST is around 20 years old or so and has only seen 13 finishers when the AT has seen 10,000. Let's populate the MST and create another wonderful avenue for adventure. It's not that hard to hike, just not popular. If we, collectively, bring attention to the MST it would increase the demand for new stores to open up that cater to hikers. That would bring in money for the towns and may convince the land owners around the trail to work with the FMST to allow the trail to be routed through their property. Then the trail would be moved off the roads. It might even sway them to sell the land or to donate it. The only way that this will happen is if the MST starts to see more people interested in hiking it. .

Taba,
While I think your idea is a noble and that a thru hike of the MST is an adventure that would parrellel the AT, I'm not sure I would want to see the MST overrun with hikers to the extent that the AT is. Tothink that because people hike a trail and people will magically be drawn to support it is a mistaken notion. Even the AT, with all its publicity and population has faced major obstacles to get where it is today. Many landowners in the past, as well as the present are opposed to the idea of a trail running through their backyards. If a landowner is willing to grant an easement for trail access, that easement can be withdrawn at any point. An easement does not protect the trail in the same way that a state or federal land purchase does. Even though the Florida Trail is a National Scenic Trail, there are constant landowner issues there as well, although the Forest Service is working to purchase land as it becomes available from WILLING SELLERS. I emphasize that last portion because unless an owner is willing to sell. that land cannot be purchased by the government. Eminent domain did not work for the AT and those in power have learned their lessons.
Would I like to see the MST moved off of roads? Sure why not. But ion talking to several thru hikers from 30 or more years ago, I thing I have heard is how some of the road walks are missed. (Rt. 42 in VA and road walks through the backwoods of Maine are a couple of specific instances that I have heard about.) But the reality of economics is that it is not likely to happen regardless of how many people hike it. That would raise awareness but I'm positive not all of it would be good.
Personally, I would hate to see the MST, the Florida Trail, the Cumberland Trail in TN, the Allegehny Trail in WV, or any trail for that matter become as popular as the AT has. I beleive people should be willing to check out other trails as each one has something unique to offer. But I am of the opinion that I would rather see a trail receive only a dozen or so hikers per year as opposed to the hundreds that the AT sees. Let's leave some of our trails less impacted by humans and keep our reputation intact along the byways and small towns that some of these lesser known trails pass thru.
I wish you luck on your hike this year, would economics make it possible I would join you. The MST is truly a wonderful trail in progress and hopefully in ten years there will be new things to explore as well.

Frosty
03-30-2009, 17:49
That is part of the freedom of choice. However, shouldn't you as a hiker show support to all trails, whether you want to hike them or not, to help our culture grow in psoitive ways.No, of course not. If I tried to support all trails, my efforts would be so diluted I wouldn't make a difference to any of them. Just as you don't support all trails, only the one that you like to hike.

Think Globally, Act Locally, HYOH and stop complaining when others do the same.

Taba
03-30-2009, 22:49
I don't pay dues to a lot of trail organization but I do encourage hikers to hike no matter what trail they choose to do.

Taba
03-30-2009, 23:18
Taba,
While I think your idea is a noble and that a thru hike of the MST is an adventure that would parrellel the AT, I'm not sure I would want to see the MST overrun with hikers to the extent that the AT is. Tothink that because people hike a trail and people will magically be drawn to support it is a mistaken notion. Even the AT, with all its publicity and population has faced major obstacles to get where it is today. Many landowners in the past, as well as the present are opposed to the idea of a trail running through their backyards. If a landowner is willing to grant an easement for trail access, that easement can be withdrawn at any point. An easement does not protect the trail in the same way that a state or federal land purchase does. Even though the Florida Trail is a National Scenic Trail, there are constant landowner issues there as well, although the Forest Service is working to purchase land as it becomes available from WILLING SELLERS. I emphasize that last portion because unless an owner is willing to sell. that land cannot be purchased by the government. Eminent domain did not work for the AT and those in power have learned their lessons.
Would I like to see the MST moved off of roads? Sure why not. But ion talking to several thru hikers from 30 or more years ago, I thing I have heard is how some of the road walks are missed. (Rt. 42 in VA and road walks through the backwoods of Maine are a couple of specific instances that I have heard about.) But the reality of economics is that it is not likely to happen regardless of how many people hike it. That would raise awareness but I'm positive not all of it would be good.
Personally, I would hate to see the MST, the Florida Trail, the Cumberland Trail in TN, the Allegehny Trail in WV, or any trail for that matter become as popular as the AT has. I beleive people should be willing to check out other trails as each one has something unique to offer. But I am of the opinion that I would rather see a trail receive only a dozen or so hikers per year as opposed to the hundreds that the AT sees. Let's leave some of our trails less impacted by humans and keep our reputation intact along the byways and small towns that some of these lesser known trails pass thru.
I wish you luck on your hike this year, would economics make it possible I would join you. The MST is truly a wonderful trail in progress and hopefully in ten years there will be new things to explore as well.

I don't want to see that many people on it either but I would like to see more than one. I walked the trail last year and found that many of the people in town were very supportive of people hiking the MST. That was one of my main objectives when I planned my hike. I looked for the people who have a desire to help the thru-hikers. I found people who have property on the trail who want to open hiker hostels to help us acheive our goal. Some people still don't know that it runs their town and when they find out it does they are full of questions. As far as the enjoyment of the road walks, there were several sections of raod walk I would miss seeing if they rerouted it from there. You can't deny the fact that if the locals start to see more excited hikers on a mission that they would get excited with us and finally understand why we are there and maybe start to accept us more in their towns. Why do you want to keep this experience a secret? 100 people on a 1000 mile trail is 1 hiker 10 every miles.

Taba

Taba
03-31-2009, 00:28
My apologies for the typo I meant to say that 100 hikers on a 1,000 mile trail is 1 hiker for every 10 miles.

Taba

Taba
03-31-2009, 17:15
I know that I am going to hike the MST, I was just looking for company. Maybe acquire a few more hiking partners. Share the experience. I had fun last year and I plan to have more fun this year. I am not asking you to join me for the entire journey, just a small portion of it. Unless you want to hike the entire trail then I will do everything I can to support you. I like success and enjoy watching it happen. This year is going be a great year for the MST. Give it a chance and join the 100 hikers. It will be 1 week of your life I guarantee that you will remember.

Taba

Taba
04-03-2009, 19:01
Here is another idea for the 100 hiker challenge. I think it would help even more with the development of the MST if we could try to raise $1.00 for every mile from everbody who takes on ths challenge. My personal goal will be to donate a minimum of $1,000.00 at the end of my hike to the FMST. If we all got together to accomplish this goal, I believe that the MST will be one of the greatest adventures. Doing the math, 100 hikers doing 100 miles each and donating $100.00 equals $10,000.00 plus my $1,000.00 would be a great year for the MST. What do you all think and who is going to hike with me? You don't have to donate any money to hike but it would be awesome for the trail if you did.

Taba

Taba
04-03-2009, 19:03
I had to point this out. This is the 100th post for the 100 hiker challenge!!! Let's accomplish this goal!

Jester2000
04-03-2009, 21:15
I'm on another continent, but you are more than welcome to join me on the trail i've been designing here in Asia. . .

You finish designing the trail and I will hike it. Challenge accepted!!!

Actually, that was an invitation rather than a challenge.

Good luck in all of your adventures!

Taba
04-04-2009, 01:15
Guess I kind of got a little defensive. If the offer still stands then, when I can create the time, I would like to accept the invitation. Maybe in 2010? I should learn more about it. What is the name of the trail? What mountain range is it in? What beaches does the trail go to and where are we going to see elephants? What would be the major resupply points? How's the water availability? How many miles is it and how long will it take to complete? What time of year?

Taba

fiddlehead
04-04-2009, 02:09
Guess I kind of got a little defensive. If the offer still stands then, when I can create the time, I would like to accept the invitation. Maybe in 2010? I should learn more about it. What is the name of the trail? What mountain range is it in? What beaches does the trail go to and where are we going to see elephants? What would be the major resupply points? How's the water availability? How many miles is it and how long will it take to complete? What time of year?

Taba

I'll be here. I'll try to answer what i can. Problem is, i've been working on this for a little over a year now and get out there about 3 or 4 times a month and now, it's half-finished>
When i say finished, the route itself is finished. It still has no trail for about 20% of it, which means bushwhacking in jungle for now. I have learned to like that. Last weekend, i took some friends out for a supposedly easy section and rainy season has now started so it was quite overgrown since i had been on it. An 11 year old kid freaked out a bit as he thought there were spiders on him. (there weren't)
Ok, your questions:
name of trail: has no name yet. let's just call it "Phuket high route trail" until (hopefully the Thailand Dept. of Toursim puts some money into building some trail and they can name it whatever they like)
what mountain range?: i suggest you open up google earth, find Phuket, Thailand, and use the control button and your mouse wheel to tilt the earth, you'll see that Phuket is very mountainous although it's not a ridge by any means. The word Phuket actually comes from a Malay name meaning "mountain" (bukit)
What beaches? The only beach that the trail ACTUALLY crosses is Ya Nui beach near the southern tip of the island. It is a very beautiful one and i have some pictures of it on my blog here. (http://fiddlehead.wordpress.com/2008/09/26/guidebook-for-phuket-high-trail-section-a/) (that is an entry from last Sept. when some friends and i did the 1st section of 15 miles)
Will we see elephants? Definitely. Phuket is known for its tourists as the nice beaches on the island attract people from all over the world. Since one of the things they like to do is ride elephants, the trail passes near at least 3 of these elephant camps and right thru one of them. As for wild elephants, sorry, they have all moved north.
Resupply points: so far, the trail goes past a restaurant and within 5 miles of a major town that has everything. (google Patong if you like) Also the trail will pass through a major intersection at the "Heroine's Monument at the center of Phuket and where i have stopped most recently in my trailblazing. (3 days food would be the most that we would need to carry)
Water availability? Lots. If you don't want to drink from the springs, many of the rubber tree farmers who live out in the jungle usually offer me water, bananas, coffee, and are very friendly. Personally i drink from the many springs.
When complete, the trail should be around 70 miles. Possibly 100 if switchbacks are put in. But it is a rugged 100 miles. No road walking except some badly rutted dirt roads that the rubber tree people use with motorcycles to get the rubber out. Lot of very steep climbs.
What time of year? April is too hot. (hottest month of the year), Nov, Dec, Jan are ideal but tourists know that and prices are up for accomodations.

I don't know if the govt here will ever put money into making this trail a marked, maintained, switchbacked trail. IF not, it will be very rugged.
I got hammered on my last trip as the bushwhacking in the rain caused me to get dehydrated and exhausted. But, i was pushing the miles a bit too much and should've just taken some breaks.

It can be beautiful, or it can be a real pain, depending on the section, weather, you load, and of course: frame of mind.

If you search through my blog, you'll find many entries on my days experiences after going out and trying to figure out the best way to go.
Eventually, i'll build a website, and put it all on google maps, complete with pictures and stories and links to the blog. For now, the important thing to me is to be out there planning the best place for it to go to take advantage of the wildness here, the views, water sources, etc. without dropping too much elevation or road walking. I try to keep it up on top, like the AT. (although that's where the similarities end)

Sorry to hijack your thread but you asked.

Taba
04-04-2009, 03:19
Sounds like a real adventure. Good luck with developing it. You may see me out there but, for now my main focus is the MST and the 100 hiker challenge. What does everybody think about the $1.00 per mile idea?

Taba

Taba
04-05-2009, 00:53
I know of 4 people going out on thru-hikes of the MST. Is there anyone else who plans on hiking any of this trail this year?

Bearpaw
04-05-2009, 10:57
For this year, my trails are the Bartram Trail, Benton MacKaye Trail and the Alabama Pinhoti Trail.

As for the MST, I hiked it in the Smokies, the Croatan National Forest and much of the Outer Banks. Nice sections. But I doubt I would do it as a thru-hike unless I were supported and I actually bicycled the road sections. I HATE long paved road walks. Forest service roads are more tolerable.

Good luck. What I've hiked has been quite nice.

Panzer1
04-05-2009, 11:06
The term "professional hiker" is a very contentious term on this web site.

Panzer

EasternBox
04-06-2009, 10:39
I plan on section hiking this trail during my school breaks this year.

Taba
04-12-2009, 17:05
I plan on section hiking this trail during my school breaks this year.

That's awesome! I will be on the trail from the end of May to November or so. Maybe we could meet up out there and hike some of it together. I am always looking for company. That is one of the reasons for the 100 hiker challenge. Another reason for the challenge is that the MST is around 29 years old and there have been only 13 people to finish it. I think that number is too low. It is an amazing adventure and I would like to see at least 100 people on it each year. It has great potential of being one of the greatest long distance trails on the east coast.

So far the interest has increased tremendously and I look forward to see just how many people take on this challenge. There are several hikers who have told me that they are planning a thru-hike of the MST this year and many others who are planning section-hikes.

Anyone else planning to hike any of the MST this year?

Taba

Marta
04-12-2009, 19:56
I'm planning to hike the part of it in the Smokies this year.

Taba
04-13-2009, 20:05
That is a great section. Good camping on creeks then a pretty extended uphill. Depending on the season, the gnats may be thick at Newton Bald Camp. On the downhill, you criss-cross streams that lead to Mingus Creek which feeds the Mingus Mill. It's a working gristmill that sells their product on site. The Oconaluftee Visitor Center is an old pioneer homestead that is well worth the exploration. Say hi to the white and black pig there for me. He doesn't eat the grass from outside his pen though. I tried to be friends with him last year. He is a cool pig. Cherokee is a fun town. The locals demonstrate their culture in various locations. There is good lodging in town. I would suggest the Cherokee Lodge. They offer a hiker's discount. The Blue Ridge Parkway is a very scenic road walk that I don't think you would mind however, and I do apologize that I can't help here, there is no legal camping on the parkway, yet. There is roughly 25 miles of parkway before the trail goes back into the woods. The first campsite that I found with a fire pit is 35 miles from Cherokee with no water. You will have to fill up 5.7 miles before the camp at a creek. Waterrock Knob is a good side trip. The summit is 1.58 miles round trip from the MST and is 6,292 ft. Excellent resupply in Waynesville, 55 miles from the western terminus of the MST.

Have fun,
Taba

jrhord6
04-13-2009, 21:10
Living on the boundaries of The Great Smokey Mountains National Park I have often been hiking in the area and ran across the Mountain to Sea trail. I hope to complete the thru hike this year. Depending on how things go at work It will either be a thru hike or section hike, that is still undetermined. I would like any advice you may have for me to help along the trail. From my understanding most of the trail is still under construction, and many parts run along roads.

Marta
04-13-2009, 21:19
That is a great section. Good camping on creeks then a pretty extended uphill. Depending on the season, the gnats may be thick at Newton Bald Camp. On the downhill, you criss-cross streams that lead to Mingus Creek which feeds the Mingus Mill. It's a working gristmill that sells their product on site. The Oconaluftee Visitor Center is an old pioneer homestead that is well worth the exploration. Say hi to the white and black pig there for me. He doesn't eat the grass from outside his pen though. I tried to be friends with him last year. He is a cool pig. Cherokee is a fun town. The locals demonstrate their culture in various locations. There is good lodging in town. I would suggest the Cherokee Lodge. They offer a hiker's discount. The Blue Ridge Parkway is a very scenic road walk that I don't think you would mind however, and I do apologize that I can't help here, there is no legal camping on the parkway, yet. There is roughly 25 miles of parkway before the trail goes back into the woods. The first campsite that I found with a fire pit is 35 miles from Cherokee with no water. You will have to fill up 5.7 miles before the camp at a creek. Waterrock Knob is a good side trip. The summit is 1.58 miles round trip from the MST and is 6,292 ft. Excellent resupply in Waynesville, 55 miles from the western terminus of the MST.

Have fun,
Taba

Thanks for the information about the BRP section, and the water info.

TOW
04-19-2009, 15:13
My dog Sally and I challenge you to hike the entire width of the AT right out in front of my house. Any day is fine with me.

I am getting ready to challenge Taba to it here in a second, he is sitting on my front porch right now. I believe I can leave his ass standing in the dust.

I'll show him what a REAL pro can do..............

We be bad........

Taba
04-19-2009, 15:59
Wow, I am tired. That Wanderer sure can move. I still haven't caught up with him. Guess I will just go take a nap.

TOW
04-19-2009, 16:02
Shoot man, I went flipped flopped at least five times before ole Taba even took a step!

Ain't none of youin's can beat me!

Taba
04-19-2009, 16:06
Come on man, I'm off the clock. I shouldn't have to work this hard.

Taba
04-20-2009, 20:05
Just wanted to let everybody know that I made it home safe, from my road trip to North Carolina. The truck was ok even though it needed some minor maintenance. There are now 100 books in circulation. I will have another post soon to tell more. But right now I am going out. Will be back soon.

Taba

Taba
04-21-2009, 01:45
On April 5th I got in my truck with enough gas to get through Gatlinburg to Cherokee, NC. I had no money and 20 "Manuals" when I got there. My intention was to stop in every town along the trail and earn the gas, food, and printing money by selling the "Manual" to the stores so they could put them on the shelves and draw more attention to the MST. My goal was to have at least 100 in circulation by the time I returned home. The road trip was fun. I got to visit some areas that I learned about last year and brought back a few good memories. I traveled to all of the outfitters, bookstores, coffee shops and several other places that I thought hikers would go to. Most of the owners and managers were very enthusiastic about the book and purchased a few to put on the shelves to help get some hikers out this year.

I had fun visiting with the friends I had made along the way and the new friends I just made. I even enjoyed knocking on Tim's door in Black Mountain 2 days after he received his copy in the mail. We sat on the porch and talked for an hour or so. I will go into more detail on about these visits at www.Trailjournals.com (http://www.Trailjournals.com) tomorrow, sometime.

The ultimate goal was achieved. There are now 105 copies of "The Thru-Hiker's Manual for the Mountains-to-Sea Trail of North Carolina" in stores and in hikers hands. Hopefully those books will get some use this year and we will see 100 hikers on the trail. Thank you to everybody who supported me, the book, and the trail. I will hopefully catch up with you again when I walk by this year.

I made it to Greensboro where I visited with Scott and Lou. I found that the larger citys are not ready for my book yet or my book isn't ready for them. Either way I wasn't earning the gas money and decided to head home from there. My truck was in need of repair. I purchased a new front rotor and new caliper for the brake system to see if that would work. It fixed one problem and left another. I was confident in my ability to get it home from there and Damascus, Virginia was on the way home. I stopped there to say hi to several of my trail friends and to take some books to the outfitters there before the influx of hikers comes into town for "Trail Days" in May.

It was a great trip. I didn't earn any extra money. In fact came back with less than I left with. At least when I left I had a full tank of gas now it's empty. But the truck is home and safe and the point of this trip was not to profit but to get the "Manual" out and ready for this hiking season.

The 100 Hiker Challenge is still on. Come on out and enjoy North Carolina and the Mountains-to-Sea Trail.

Taba

Worldwide
04-21-2009, 11:45
I have met one professional hiker. His name is Lumpy and he hiked the AT in 2007 while wearing a grey suit a pink tie and a dress shirt. All professionals should dress the part!

TOW
04-21-2009, 13:59
It was good meeting you Taba, hope to see you soon......

Taba
04-21-2009, 23:14
It was great to see you, Wanderer. You are still doing a great service to the hikers with the phone on the porch. I think that's awesome. Thank you! I'll be back sometime around May 15th.

Taba

Taba
05-20-2009, 17:32
That is the question I want to answer here.

Hiking is not just walking through the woods. It requires the right gear, having the right knowledge of how to use the gear, having a little common sense, and the ability to improvise when in tough situations. A person can walk into the woods with no gear but how far do you think they would get without having to be rescued or turn around and leave the woods because of the lack of gear. A hiker needs a backpack, a tent, a stove, food, water treatment or filter, footwear, the proper clothing for the seasons, hiking poles and a map or guidebook. All of these items are required to successfully complete any hike no matter how far the distance.

I have gotten permission from my sponsors to call myself a professional hiker. My sponsors for this trip are Leki, Wandering Buddha and Teva. They have supplied some of the gear that I use everyday to hike with. They did not sponsor this trip for me to test gear. They sponsored the walk.

So again with permissions from my sponsors I am officially a "Professional Hiker"

I am hiking the MST now and I am at a hotel in Cherokee using the computer here and will be leaving to continue my hike tomorrow. I am hiking it both directions to update the manual and to write it for the other direction. My plan is to take 5-6 months to complete this hike.

Does anyone want to join me out here. I will be going through Waynesville on the Blue Ridge Parkway in 3 days wich will be May 23rd. I am averaging about 10 to 12 miles a day. Feel free to call me if you would like to accept the invite @ 561-319-2564.

Thanks and see you on the trail and thank you to my sponsors one more time. Who are "Leki, Wandering Buddha, and Teva." The gear is making the trip a whole lot more enjoyable.

Taba

tucker0104
05-21-2009, 08:13
See, most people work 6 months out of the year and hike the rest for the rest of their lives. I plan on making a lot of money and retiring in about 10-12 years. Be done with working for the rest of my life at 40. Be free to do what I want.

restless
05-21-2009, 10:07
I guess some people just won't rest until they have a title before their name.

Taba
05-21-2009, 10:36

Don't really care about a title but I wanted to prove a point that you can be a professional at whatever you do if you try hard enough at it. I work hard at what I do and therefore I have created a career out of hiking. My down time is to prepare for my next hike. Why don't you join me out here. You might learn something from me. Like being nice to fellow hikers!

Thank you,
Taba

Tipi Walter
05-21-2009, 11:08
Part of being a "professional hiker" is dealing with loneliness or aloneness, so suck it up and get used to getting your bag nights for the most part alone. Or get a dog for companionship. Dogs generally love the outdoors and don't need a crash course on accepting Nature as their religion, etc.

I equate backpacking and living outdoors with an inner calling, something like the "call of the wild", and no desinated "professional hiker" designation needs to go with it. For the most part it's a lonely, solitary journey, a turning back from modern life to a stint in the stone age, and if done "properly" will eat up years of a person's life in primitive shelters getting a thousand bag nights.

Who needs sponsors or titles of professionalism? Just get your gear and go. You may meet fellow backpackers or you may not.

Frosty
05-21-2009, 12:07
I have gotten permission from my sponsors to call myself a professional hiker.

Don't really care about a title but I wanted to prove a point that you can be a professional at whatever you do if you try hard enough at it.Well, at least you can get people like sponsors who have a vested interest to call you a professional. And given the fact that you've posted about a hundred times trying to get us to say you were a professional hiker tells me you care a lot. Nothing wrong with it, but at least face up to its importance to you. If you put half the effort into hiking that you expend trying to get a hiking title, you'd be miles ahead of the game. It does seem to me that your emphasis is more on being called a professional hiker than it is to actually hike.

Are you going to put PhD after your trail name, now? (Doctor of Professional Hiking)

I have no idea why it is so important to you that you be called a professional hiker. You don't need validation. Just get out and hike. Hike for yourself, for your enjoyment, and don't worry about how others see you. It is the smell of fir trees or damp earth, taste of water on a hot day, an viewpoint looking way down to where you were three hours ago, laying on a sunny ledge litening to the buzzing of insects, the rhythm of your legs pumping away on a long flat straightaway, the sense of being where you are and in the moment. These are the rewards of hiking, not feeling you now have the right to brag to people, "I'm a professional hiker." As though that is somehow different from everyone else who goes out into the woods and puts one foot in front of the other.

Hiking is not just walking through the woods. It requires the right gear, having the right knowledge of how to use the gear, having a little common sense, and the ability to improvise when in tough situations. A person can walk into the woods with no gear but how far do you think they would get without having to be rescued or turn around and leave the woods because of the lack of gear. A hiker needs a backpack, a tent, a stove, food, water treatment or filter, footwear, the proper clothing for the seasons, hiking poles and a map or guidebook. All of these items are required to successfully complete any hike no matter how far the distance.
Hogwash. Read the story of Grandma Gatewood sometime, who used a shower curtain for a tent, or Earl Shaeffer, who used gas company road maps to navigate.

It makes sense to have gear in some critical situations like cold weather, but hiking is putting one foot in front of the other repeatedly. It ain't rocket science, Babe.

You should apply for a job as a writer for Backpacker Magazine. They will be impressed with your attitude and may even put professional hiker below your byline. Wouldn't surprise me a bit.

restless
05-22-2009, 20:10
Don't really care about a title but I wanted to prove a point that you can be a professional at whatever you do if you try hard enough at it. I work hard at what I do and therefore I have created a career out of hiking. My down time is to prepare for my next hike. Why don't you join me out here. You might learn something from me. Like being nice to fellow hikers!

Thank you,
Taba

As I've stated before, the MST is a wonderful trail, what I have seen of it, and the mountain section is on par with anything on the AT. As for joining you, I am unfortunately i nthe White Mtns of NH, building trails and gwetting paid for it. I guess that makes me a "professional" trailbuilder.

BTW, I have included the definition of the word "professional" from the Miriam-Webster dictionary for info's sake:

Main Entry:
1pro·fes·sion·al Listen to the pronunciation of 1professional
Pronunciation:
\prə-ˈfesh-nəl, -ˈfe-shə-nəl\
Function:
adjective
Date:

1 a: of, relating to, or characteristic of a profession b: engaged in one of the learned professions c (1): characterized by or conforming to the technical or ethical standards of a profession (2): exhibiting a courteous, conscientious, and generally businesslike manner in the workplace2 a: participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs <a professional golfer> b: having a particular profession as a permanent career <a professional soldier> c: engaged in by persons receiving financial return <professional football>3: following a line of conduct as though it were a profession <a professional patriot>
— pro·fes·sion·al·ly adverb

restless
05-22-2009, 20:21

Taba

Other than Gatewood, lets see, as to a water filter, maps and guidebook, and hiking poles, if memory serves me correct, Daniel Boone didn't have any of the afforementioned items. Lewis and Clark, nope. Christopher Columbus, hell he should have just fallen off the earth because it was flat! Oh I almost forgot--Earl Shaeffer. Never will figger out how he did it without maps, besides what was up with that helmet he was always wearing? Didn't I hear somewhere that Earl cut the heels off his boots? Oh YEAH I heard it from him--that's right. Don't guess you have heard of Horace Kephart (pick up a copy of Camping and Woodcraft-it will show all of us how soft we have become when we go into the woods).
In other words, hiking successfully is not ALL about the equipment. There is a element of mental toughness and ingenuity that without, no hike can be a success.

Jester2000
05-24-2009, 12:09
See, most people work 6 months out of the year and hike the rest for the rest of their lives. I plan on making a lot of money and retiring in about 10-12 years. Be done with working for the rest of my life at 40. Be free to do what I want.

Unless, you know, you drop dead the day after you turn 40. God seems to have a weird sense of humor when it comes to people planning out their lives.

. . . if memory serves me correct, Daniel Boone didn't have any of the afforementioned items. Lewis and Clark, nope. Christopher Columbus, hell he should have just fallen off the earth because it was flat!

True, although none of the people mentioned would have defined themselves as hikers, and if memory serves no one else has ever referred to them that way either.

Oh I almost forgot--Earl Shaeffer. Never will figger out how he did it without maps . . .In other words, hiking successfully is not ALL about the equipment. There is a element of mental toughness and ingenuity that without, no hike can be a success.

Earl did have some maps, although according to him they were free gas station road maps, so maybe not all that helpful. I do agree with you about successful hiking not being about equipment, but I think Taba would essentially agree with you as well. There have been too many people all kitted out at Springer who quit by Neels for it to be otherwise.

Nean
05-24-2009, 15:47
Based on the 10 million steps,:-?-- factoring in my age, height and a few bad tacos :eek:, I've logged well over 4000 miles just going to the bathroom!;) Pooping is my profession and my sponsors, American Standard, White Cloud, and Depends, all agree!:banana I'm gifted, to say the least, but because of size restraints, can only ask 3 (at a time so make a line) to join me.:) I have septic issues as well.:o
I am not, repeat NOT!!!, a RJ/WF/WD wannabe!:mad: Just wanted all the thousands of poopers, etc. who visit this site to know that this journey won't be with an average, at best, pooper.:cool:
My guidebook on the subject, some nitpickers will argue sonnet, is available within reach and comes in handy at the end of the trip...:D

Promote the trail, promote your guidebook, but going to lengths to promote yourself has the smell of a trip I just made. Now don't try it at home folks, as it has been well documented that I'm pretty darn special,:rolleyes: but I did do my business.... mid-post.:p
just sayin word yo
:welcome

Jester2000
05-24-2009, 16:15
Nean, that must be the record for most emoticons in one post. Congrats!

Frosty
05-28-2009, 12:09
Taba, if you are still looking for ways to help the MST, check this out:

http://www.carolinamtnclub.com/enews/Enews%20archive/090529-e-newsletter.htm

You are invited to extend the MST (Mountains-to-Sea Trail) South on June 6 , 2009 ( rain date- June 13 ) for National Trails Day..

This is a great opportunity to give something back for all the fun and enjoyment you've had on the trails this past year. We hope to have a large group to help us complete another piece of the MST going South to the Soco Gap Overlook, South of Balsam Gap, BRP milepost 456.

We 'll meet at the Moose Café at 9:00 AM for car pooling. The second meeting place is at the intersection of the Blue Ridge Parkway and Rt. 19, South of Maggie Valley. Tools will be available but if you have digging tools of your own, please bring them.

Please call all your friends and acquaintances and invite them. The bigger the group, the more the fun!!! No prior experience is required. Piet Bodenhorst

Taba
05-28-2009, 17:24
Taba, if you are still looking for ways to help the MST, check this out:

http://www.carolinamtnclub.com/enews/Enews%20archive/090529-e-newsletter.htm

You are invited to extend the MST (Mountains-to-Sea Trail) South on June 6 , 2009 ( rain date- June 13 ) for National Trails Day..

This is a great opportunity to give something back for all the fun and enjoyment you've had on the trails this past year. We hope to have a large group to help us complete another piece of the MST going South to the Soco Gap Overlook, South of Balsam Gap, BRP milepost 456.

We 'll meet at the Moose Café at 9:00 AM for car pooling. The second meeting place is at the intersection of the Blue Ridge Parkway and Rt. 19, South of Maggie Valley. Tools will be available but if you have digging tools of your own, please bring them.

Please call all your friends and acquaintances and invite them. The bigger the group, the more the fun!!! No prior experience is required. Piet Bodenhorst

Thank you Frosty,
That is good information for everybody to know. Unfortunately I will be past that point on that date. I am currently hiking the MST again to update the manual. I have been out since May 18th and will not be finished with my yo-yo of this trail until mid October. I am nearing Asheville and have had success with getting the new REI to carry the Manual here on Shenck Parkway. As I am hiking the trail with my manual I have found it to be extremely helpful, even to me, with planning out where I will be camping and getting my water. I am no longer in the dark as to where my resources are and I don't have the question in my brain as to whether or not I will be able to cook dinner when I get to a spot where I could camp. If there is not water near the campsite I know where to get it before I arrive at the campsite. It is a rainy season and I am finding more water sources. The water sources I find this year that were not here last year will be listed in the updated manual as "wet season water." It makes me smile every time I find the points of interest right where they are listed in the manual.

As far as helping the trail, I feel that I have contributed a great deal with releiving the stresses of navigation and planning for every other thru-hiker who plans to hike this great adventure. When I have more time I will probably be out here to help build new trail, but this year is commited to documenting the new trail that was not trail last year. There will be plenty of time to help out in the next few years as the trail grows and gets rerouted.

Taba

Taba
05-28-2009, 17:26

You seem to want to rest a lot. Maybe we should just call you "Rest".

Taba

Mags
05-28-2009, 17:41
I have lots of titles before my name:

That loser Mags..
That schmuck Mags..
That a-hole Mags...
etc..
:)

On a serious note.. EVERY trail user should put in some sweat equity at some point.
Trails Day is a good day as any.. (other days, of course, work)
http://www.americanhiking.org/NTD.aspx

Come on..LEAVE A TRACE! :D

(What can I say..I grew up blue-collar and Catholic. I feel guilty all the time..and it only feels like work if I feel sore, achy and sweaty. ;) )

Taba
07-02-2009, 18:52
Just wanted to give an update on my hike. I am now 46 days in and have hiked 450 miles. Sounds slow but the mountains section is tough. I will be speeding up now. The last 3 days were 21, 14, and 24 miles. Today was 3 and maybe off until the 5th. I will be hanging out with some friends for July 4th.

It doesn't feel like I have been out this long yet. I passed by another hiker named Jonathon who is hiking the MST from Sea-to-Mountains. I didn't see him though. I even carried a cheeseburger from a family reunion for him for 5 miles before I ate it. We passed as I was charting the new directions for getting to the Sauratown Trail from Pilot Mountain I guess.

Check out the updates for the manual in the "Important Updates" thread.

I have a new website:

www.thru-hiker.us (http://www.thru-hiker.us)

Gotta go! see you again soon.

Taba

Taba
07-21-2009, 00:12
There are several hikers starting thru-hikes in August and September and one more than half way complete with his. Anyone else up for the challenge yet?

Taba

Taba
07-25-2009, 22:44
It makes sense to have gear in some critical situations like cold weather, but hiking is putting one foot in front of the other repeatedly. It ain't rocket science, Babe.
Posted by Frosty 5-21-2009

You are so very wrong about that. Not only do you walk 15-20 miles a day you have the daily chores of setting up your tent, cooking dinner, washing you pot, and filtering water, just to name a few. Then you have the town chores; doing laundry, shopping for groceries, looking for a place to take a shower, and making sure you have all the gear you need to make it to your next resupply point. Now add in all the extra work I do to write and publish a book while hiking; tracking the mileage, looking for and documenting every resource I pass by, making contacts for possible camping locations for other hikers, then when I can find a place to print copies of the Manual. I keep the stores stocked and have copies for some future thru-hikers, and update everything on the computer so the people who are following the Manual right now have more detailed information and will have less stress on their adventure.

So, again I say hiking is not just walking. If you believe that go hike in a mall!

Taba

Lemni Skate
07-25-2009, 23:26
Mountains to Sea trail? I always wondered if I'd get in trouble for hiking it backwards. I mean a west bound hiker is doing Sea to Mountains.

Taba has learned an important lesson about the world. If you go around telling people you are wonderful 10% will believe you and that's enough to get followers. If you don't tell anybody then no one will follow you.

I, by the way, am a professional Hawaiian Beach Inspector. If you'd like to sponsor me just have your credit card ready and call 555-SPEEDOS.

Mags
07-26-2009, 16:12
Taba, I think it is great what you are doing.

But, plenty of people do write guides, give advice and walk 25-30 MPD without the need for a title. Just saying. :)

Just hike, do your good work and the rest will fall into place.

Happy Trails!

Bad Co
08-01-2009, 18:17
Call yourself what you like
just give me directions to the trail sounds like an adventure

ShelterLeopard
08-01-2009, 19:12
I think everyone including you, Taba, should let the "professional hiker" thing rest. Just putting it out there...

ShelterLeopard
08-01-2009, 19:15
Oh, and AMEN to frosty's post (last day in May, I think). Anyone can hike, I didn't need anyone to tell me how. I started, figured what I was doing wrong and fixed it. Hiking is walking with a backpack. And I agree with what he said about the professional hiking thing too. Just let it go.

ShelterLeopard
08-01-2009, 19:22

You are so very wrong about that. Not only do you walk 15-20 miles a day you have the daily chores of setting up your tent, cooking dinner, washing you pot, and filtering water, just to name a few. Then you have the town chores; doing laundry, shopping for groceries, looking for a place to take a shower, and making sure you have all the gear you need to make it to your next resupply point. Now add in all the extra work I do to write and publish a book while hiking; tracking the mileage, looking for and documenting every resource I pass by, making contacts for possible camping locations for other hikers, then when I can find a place to print copies of the Manual. I keep the stores stocked and have copies for some future thru-hikers, and update everything on the computer so the people who are following the Manual right now have more detailed information and will have less stress on their adventure.

So, again I say hiking is not just walking. If you believe that go hike in a mall!

Taba

Yeah, and what exactly is so difficult about setting up a tent and washing your dishes???

(PS- Sorry to do three posts in a row, I kept reading other people's responses after posting, etc...)

DapperD
08-01-2009, 23:11
Oh, and AMEN to frosty's post (last day in May, I think). Anyone can hike, I didn't need anyone to tell me how. I started, figured what I was doing wrong and fixed it. Hiking is walking with a backpack. I always thought hiking was walking in trails, and backpacking was walking with a backpack?:D

Taba
08-01-2009, 23:27
So how about "Professional Pioneer". With 3 sponsors, like Leki (hiking poles), Teva (footwear) and Wandering Buddha (fleece clothing), I think that qualifies as a professional. I have corporations noticing that I am accomplishing something more than just walking around aimlessly in the woods. I am helping people with the knowledge I have acquired from over 20 years of long-distance light-weight nomadic traveling.

What is the definition of Pioneer? It is a person who travels into new territory already inhabited by someone else to chart a new path for others to follow who are interested in adventure or a change of scenery, atmosphere, or even a change of lifestyle. A pioneer relies on his product to sustain his lifestyle. I rely on the Manual I wrote to buy my groceries. I don't get paid for what I do but I get rewarded. In fact I ran out of money 3 days ago but I still keep going and have been figuring it out along the way.

The Manual is the start of my repaying the kindness and generosity of the people along my adventures who randomly showed an interest in what I was doing and wanted to help. All they wanted me to do was to give it back to the next person. I took all of the stress off of the MST so you can hike it with no concerns but the miles. I have also gotten a great response from the churches along the trail to allow hikers to use the property as a camping location. So I am fixing the camping issue one church at a time. This is the longest door-to-door job I have ever worked. If you don't think this is a job, come out and hike with me for a day and see for yourself how hard I work to make your experience easier on the MST.

Taba

ShelterLeopard
08-01-2009, 23:29
I like professional pioneer. But I really don't care what you call yourself, it's just annoying when all the threads go astray with people nitpicking about everything.

Taba
08-01-2009, 23:41
True, they are nitpicking. Why can't there be a professional hiker? There are professional swimmers, bicyclists, and kayakers. Heck there are even professional chess players. I believe that there is room in the professional class for someone who exerts himself everyday at the same thing and tries to be the best that he can be at it. I work just as hard as Michael Phelps or Lance Armstrong but I don't compete against anybody but myself. That is why I am not recognized as a professional athlete. I don't win gold medals or huge trophys but I am rewarded with the confidence that I can do anything I put my mind to. I think that anyone who can cover 30+ miles carrying a 35 lb. backpack on a consistent basis should be a professional athlete. That is a marathon, plus. people train for a very long tome to run one marathon. Some hikers do several marathons a week.

Taba

mudhead
08-02-2009, 06:33
If it makes you happy I am glad.

Taba
08-03-2009, 13:28
If it makes you happy I am glad.

I am extremely happy!!!! Thank you for being glad for me.

Taba

Bad Co
08-03-2009, 13:46
Here is what Websters online says

Main Entry:1pro·fes·sion·al http://www.merriam-webster.com/images/audio.gif (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/professional#)Pronunciation:\prə-ˈfesh-nəl, -ˈfe-shə-nəl\ Function:adjective Date:16061 a: of, relating to, or characteristic of a profession (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/profession) b: engaged in one of the learned professions (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/professions) c (1): characterized by or conforming to the technical or ethical standards of a profession (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/profession) (2): exhibiting a courteous, conscientious, and generally businesslike manner in the workplace2 a: participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs <a professional golfer> b: having a particular profession (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/profession) as a permanent career <a professional soldier> c: engaged in by persons receiving financial return <professional football>3: following a line of conduct as though it were a profession (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/profession) <a professional patriot>

I'm cool with you being a professional hiker
still want directions to the trail though

Linker
08-03-2009, 14:05
Taba-good for you! and to the rest of you good-bye-you are a bunch of retards.i cannot beleive the childish posts and arguments on this site-it is absolutely ridiculous-proffessional whiners-farewell Whiteblaze-i will never be back!!

saimyoji
08-03-2009, 16:53
So how about "Professional Pioneer". With 3 sponsors, like Leki (hiking poles), Teva (footwear) and Wandering Buddha (fleece clothing), I think that qualifies as a professional.

many Olympic athletes are "sponsored" by various companies that want to make money off their endorsements. that doesn't make them professionals.

just sayin'

saimyoji
08-03-2009, 16:57
Taba-good for you! and to the rest of you good-bye-you are a bunch of retards.i cannot beleive the childish posts and arguments on this site-it is absolutely ridiculous-proffessional whiners-farewell Whiteblaze-i will never be back!!

does anyone else see the irony of this post? :rolleyes:

Frosty
08-03-2009, 17:15

You are so very wrong about that. Not only do you walk 15-20 miles a day you have the daily chores of setting up your tent, cooking dinner, washing you pot, and filtering water, just to name a few. Then you have the town chores; doing laundry, shopping for groceries, looking for a place to take a showerOMG! Laundry? And buying food? Cleaning my pot? Filtering water? Looking for a place to shower? You set up your own tent??? Wow! You do all that? You must be one of those PROFESSIONAL hikers. Can I have your autograph?

Sorry, it ain't rocket science. I guess I'll stand by that statement.

It's fun, but it isn't anything special. It's just walking. Anyone can do it.

TD55
08-03-2009, 18:27
[quote=saimyoji;875883]does anyone else see the irony of this post? :rolleyes:[/quote

Well, ya, but he does have a point. The definitions for professional has been posted a bunch of times on this thread. Taba clearly fits into some of them. You might argue that he doesn't fit the specific definition you have selectivly chosen to argue your point and hence feel like you have won an argument about something very silly, but thats kind of what makes the argument retarded, or at least childish.

DapperD
08-03-2009, 19:47
[quote=saimyoji;875883]does anyone else see the irony of this post? :rolleyes:[/quote

Well, ya, but he does have a point. The definitions for professional has been posted a bunch of times on this thread. Taba clearly fits into some of them. You might argue that he doesn't fit the specific definition you have selectivly chosen to argue your point and hence feel like you have won an argument about something very silly, but thats kind of what makes the argument retarded, or at least childish.It appears that the use of the word "professional" has become enigmatic:D.

saimyoji
08-03-2009, 20:18

Well, ya, but he does have a point. The definitions for professional has been posted a bunch of times on this thread. Taba clearly fits into some of them. You might argue that he doesn't fit the specific definition you have selectivly chosen to argue your point and hence feel like you have won an argument about something very silly, but thats kind of what makes the argument retarded, or at least childish.

gimme a break. this isn't even CLOSE to the more childish arguments here on WB. :p

ShelterLeopard
08-03-2009, 20:23
does anyone else see the irony of this post? :rolleyes:

Ohh yeah. :D

dreamsoftrails
08-05-2009, 00:16
If you don't like "Professional Hiker" how about "Professional Nomad." Either way my resume and the quality of my work is that of professional status. People retire after doing something for 20 years. I am just beginning. This is what I do to sustain my life and like I said I don't get paid but I get rewarded. Maybe someday I will find out how to get paid.
You need to become a professional raft guide. You will actually be getting paid while you enjoy something outdoors, and there are rafting venues all over this land, and all over the world for that matter. your mecca should be the zambezie in africa.

Taba
08-06-2009, 00:12
You need to become a professional raft guide. You will actually be getting paid while you enjoy something outdoors, and there are rafting venues all over this land, and all over the world for that matter. your mecca should be the zambezie in africa.

No, I like what I do now. I am doing something phenomenal for the Mountain-to Sea Trail. I am fixing the camping issues for the trail and providing a valuable resource for anyone who wants to attempt thru-hiking it. How many more people are thru-hiking the trail this year than there were last year? I think that some of the people here are narrow minded and have nothing more to do but to try and defeat success. To live big you have think big!

Taba

dradius
08-06-2009, 15:37
who cares what some old grumpy men on an internet message board have to say? if you think you've earned a title, then by all means embrace it. FTW and good luck on your future adventures man.

Taba
08-06-2009, 18:17
All I see is the humor in how people can't fathom having a profession as a hiker. This is my job. I hike and promote my product of adventure to sustain my lifestyle. I earn my right to be out here everyday.

Taba

Frosty
08-06-2009, 18:21
No, I like what I do now. I am doing something phenomenal for the Mountain-to Sea Trail. I am fixing the camping issues for the trail and providing a valuable resource for anyone who wants to attempt thru-hiking it. How many more people are thru-hiking the trail this year than there were last year? I think that some of the people here are narrow minded and have nothing more to do but to try and defeat success. To live big you have think big!

TabaLotsa people do a lot of work on trails. You just don't know about them because they don't post three times a day telling everyone how awesome they are for doing it. Congrats and thanks to all, including both walkers and Professional Hikers.

ed bell
08-06-2009, 21:54
All I see is the humor in how people can't fathom having a profession as a hiker. This is my job. I hike and promote my product of adventure to sustain my lifestyle. I earn my right to be out here everyday.

TabaYou already know that, and its your reality. No sense in thinking that "some of the people here are narrow minded and have nothing more to do but to try and defeat success". You have gone back and forth with a couple people on a message board over this profession label, it's not like you are in a serious battle over your livelihood. The MST is your thing, and you know what they say: "It's your thang, do what you wanna do".:cool:

TD55
08-06-2009, 22:38

Taba

You are doing important stuff. Valuable stuff that adds to the hiker community in general. I agree with Ed Bell. Do your thing and don't let little trivial stuff get in your way or slow you down. Keep up the good work.

Arizona
08-07-2009, 16:56
With 3 sponsors, like Leki (hiking poles), Teva (footwear) and Wandering Buddha (fleece clothing), I think that qualifies as a professional.
Taba

You claim to be sponsored by these companies, but I don't see your name listed anywhere. Also, nothing comes up in a Google search. Could you please post a link that backs up your claim?

Taba
08-07-2009, 19:43
You can go to my website. There is a sponsor page that has links to Teva's website where there are stories from their tribe and links to Leki and Trail Hound. They are only supplying equipment for now, but I beleive that they understand the ultimate goal.

www.Thru-hiker.us (http://www.Thru-hiker.us)

P.S. I just finished hiking the MST for the second time at 4pm August 7th, 2009. I am now on my way back to Clingman's Dome.

Taba

Arizona
08-08-2009, 16:57
That is info YOU put on YOUR website.
There is nothing about you on Leki's or Teva's website. Who is your contact at Leki and Teva?

TD55
08-08-2009, 17:12
That is info YOU put on YOUR website.
There is nothing about you on Leki's or Teva's website. Who is your contact at Leki and Teva?

Yes Taba, you must answer to and prove everything and anything that every jealous person or person with wierd issues comes up with. It's either that or just ignore them and continue on with your awsome project.

Arizona
08-08-2009, 17:37
Yes Taba, you must answer to and prove everything and anything that every jealous person or person with wierd issues comes up with. It's either that or just ignore them and continue on with your awsome project.

No, doesn't have to "answer to and prove everything and anything." Just prove one thing: That he is sponsored by these companies. Funny how he can't do that. Do a little research before you get fooled again TD55.

ed bell
08-08-2009, 18:42
No, doesn't have to "answer to and prove everything and anything." Just prove one thing: That he is sponsored by these companies. <snip>

In the interest of accuracy, Arizona has a point. A free pair of hiking sticks, a living does not make. Actually, it sounds like Taba is paying them, in a way. It's not strange that folks who love hiking are curious about someone who claims to be a professional. Who wouldn't want to earn a living doing what they love to do?

Taba
08-08-2009, 20:36
In the interest of accuracy, Arizona has a point. A free pair of hiking sticks, a living does not make. Actually, it sounds like Taba is paying them, in a way. It's not strange that folks who love hiking are curious about someone who claims to be a professional. Who wouldn't want to earn a living doing what they love to do?

There was once a single professional for bicycling, skydiving, surfing, skating and so on before they were popular sports. May be I am the first to start a professional class of hikers.

I would have to ask my contacts at these companies if they want their name to appear on this forum before I indulge that information. You are correct I am doing a lot for these companies however I am not paying them anything. This is just the beginning. At least they have shown an initial interest into someone who wants to increase the popularity of a culture that we all enjoy and thank you for your interest. How about a congratulations for achieving something that everyone thinks is an impossible task instead of trying to bash me every chance you get. I am achieving huge goals on a daily basis!

Taba

TD55
08-08-2009, 21:09
No, doesn't have to "answer to and prove everything and anything." Just prove one thing: That he is sponsored by these companies. Funny how he can't do that. Do a little research before you get fooled again TD55.

Research what, the definition of "sponsor". Some companys gave him some free stuff. The stuff has a financial value. That means they are helping to finance his project. When someone contributes to your project they are sponsoring you. Maybe I'm wrong. Perhaps we should debate the meaning of "sponsor" the way we have debated the meaning of professional.

Big Dawg
08-08-2009, 21:45
Perhaps we should debate the meaning of "sponsor" the way we have debated the meaning of professional.

Don't get em started... you know they'll jump at the chance. :rolleyes:

Congrats Taba,,, yoyo on brother!! :sun

ed bell
08-09-2009, 02:55
Taba, I haven't "bashed" you. Let alone "any chance I get". Forget I asked.

Taba
08-09-2009, 09:55
Taba, I haven't "bashed" you. Let alone "any chance I get". Forget I asked.

That was not directed towards you personally. But you do have to admit that there are several people who are on here that do try to bring negative views on this subject with just about every post they do. I can name names if you would like, but I just don't have the time, nor the want, to go back through and pull out all of the negative quotes. I am still trying to become friends with everybody here. I am a great person. This poking match we have going on here is sometimes fun and sometimes annoying. There is a bigger picture here that most people are overlooking. I encourage everyone to look passed their nose and understand what I am trying to accomplish. It is not just going to benefit me but everybody in the hiking community. We will see an increase in interest of our culture if we stop being so narrow minded about hiking. We can be more than just "Walkers"! I am out to prove that.

No excuses, just hike!!!

Taba

Bad Co
08-09-2009, 14:58
GO Taba
I can't believe that any hiker or outdoorsman doesn't admire or at least wish they could do what you are doing and live that lifestyle at least for a while weather thy admit it or not

High Life
08-09-2009, 15:52
From Andrewskurka.com :
What it means to be "sponsored"

There are approximately three levels of sponsorship:

Tier 1: Free or discounted gear;
Tier 2: Tier 1 + an expense stipend for race fees, travel costs, and lodging; and,
Tier 3: Tier 2 + a salary

Within each tier there can be significant differences in the level of support provided by the sponsor. For example, does the sponsor fulfill all gear requests or does it impose a budgetary cap? Does the sponsor pay for a rental sedan or for a Winnebago? And does that "salary" still require a day job or can it allow for full-time training.
Most athletes sponsored by companies in the outdoor industry only receive gear. Some athletes receive a stipend for competitions costs and/or a small salary. Very few athletes earn a salary that adequately supports a lifestyle. If you are looking to get sponsored, expect to start with Tier 1 and then move up as you begin to prove your worth to them."

From me (highlife) :

I personally suspect you are able to support yourself on the "earnings" of hiking the MTS therefore I don't consider you a " professional" hiker .

I would with out a doubt consider Andrew Skurka a professional hike.
I don't know if he gets checks cut to him by his sponsors , but he does a lot of appearances and speaks on the topic of hiking which he gets PAID for.

if I was to get a few sponsors in which a gear company gave me some free or discounted gear , I certainly wouldn't run around calling myself " great " and or "Professional". well anyway thats my cent .. i'll give you the other one later ..im kinda broke

Arizona
08-09-2009, 17:00
Research what, the definition of "sponsor". Some companys gave him some free stuff.

Ok TD55, Please name one person at any of these companies who has given him free stuff or even has heard of him. Oh, you can't. I thought so. I am tired of hoaxes on Whiteblaze.

Frosty
08-09-2009, 17:11
All I see is the humor in how people can't fathom having a profession as a hiker.You, Big Dawg and the others keep saying that, and I wnoder why. People do "fathom" having a profession as a hiker. But most of us have hiked as many miles as you, some many, many more, but we don't see ourselves as professional hikers. As has been said many many times, there is just a disconnect in what people mean by professional.

Most see professional in the classic definition, as in professional and amateur. One does it for money, the other for love of the sport.

If you make your living as a hiker, good for you. One and all will agree youare a professional. But it seems to some of us that you just call yourself a professional because you hike a lot and think it is so hard to do (your post on how hard it is to set up your own tent, buy your own food, wash your pot, etc is a good example. To you, doing that makes you a professional. To the rest of the world, it makes you a hiker.)

Everyone here I'm sure admires anyone, you or anyone else, who hikes long distance trails. But most of us feel that merely backpacking long distances does not endow anyone with special stature. In some cases it is merely a need for esteem, but in other cases thining you are special because you hike results in a sense of entitlement that has caused problems on the AT.

Hiking is great; it makes people feel good. Hiking is enough. Take pleasure in your hiking and your hiking accomplishments. You don't need a special title. Honest.

TD55
08-09-2009, 17:52
Ok TD55, Please name one person at any of these companies who has given him free stuff or even has heard of him. Oh, you can't. I thought so. I am tired of hoaxes on Whiteblaze.

I kind of prefer to "not bare false witness" and not judge people guilty of things until they prove thier innocense. Sort of works the other way around. If a person says they got some free stuff from some company or store or whatever, I don't have a problem believing them.
Whats the big deal?
You are calling a guy a hoaxster who has been posting about his hike and if nothing else, attempt to make a career and profession out of hiking. His hike(s) have been covered by media and he has posted links to TV news coverage. He has a guide book that hikers who want to hike the trail can obtain and he is working on an updated version. In the last two months he has managed to make tentative and or certain permission for hikers on the trail to use 10 churchs as camps sites. Add to these accomplishments the publicity he has gotton for the trail and is making a name for himself as an extreme hiker. You nor anyone else can take that title away from him. He was called an extreme hiker by an independent and recognized news organiztion
You call his endeavor a hoax on a public internet site because you don't believe somebody gave him some free stuff. How about if you accept the challange you have made to me. Prove that it's all a hoax. Your the one making the dumb as$ accusation.

Big Dawg
08-09-2009, 18:36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taba http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=877121#post877121)
All I see is the humor in how people can't fathom having a profession as a hiker.

You, Big Dawg and the others keep saying that, and I wonder why.

Oh really, when did I say that... :rolleyes:

I just don't see the reason for nitpicking a word so feverantly. Taba's out there enjoying himself, & collecting/providing info. He can call himself whatever he wants... doesn't affect me whatsoever.

hikingtime
08-09-2009, 18:51
I kind of prefer to "not bare false witness" and not judge people guilty of things until they prove thier innocense. Sort of works the other way around. If a person says they got some free stuff from some company or store or whatever, I don't have a problem believing them.
Whats the big deal?
You are calling a guy a hoaxster who has been posting about his hike and if nothing else, attempt to make a career and profession out of hiking. His hike(s) have been covered by media and he has posted links to TV news coverage. He has a guide book that hikers who want to hike the trail can obtain and he is working on an updated version. In the last two months he has managed to make tentative and or certain permission for hikers on the trail to use 10 churchs as camps sites. Add to these accomplishments the publicity he has gotton for the trail and is making a name for himself as an extreme hiker. You nor anyone else can take that title away from him. He was called an extreme hiker by an independent and recognized news organiztion
You call his endeavor a hoax on a public internet site because you don't believe somebody gave him some free stuff. How about if you accept the challange you have made to me. Prove that it's all a hoax. Your the one making the dumb as$ accusation.

You have missed the point entirely with the above post, and have tried to steer the discussion away from the real issues.
So, here is the issue simplified:
Taba says he is "a Professional Hiker."
Whiteblazers ask, "How so?"
He says he is a professional if he is good at something.
Whiteblazers say, "no, you have to be paid to be a professional."
So Taba changes his tune and says, "I have sponsors."
Whiteblazers say,"Prove it."
It should be very simple to prove, but Whiteblazers are still waiting for even a shred of evidence.

Bad Co
08-09-2009, 18:54
DITTO : Big Dawg
If he can live that way and do the things he has done and make a living at it
then way can't he be a professional
as well as anyone else that can do it
Not many of us get a chance in life to do what we love and live our dreams
At the very least he is inspiring
It fail to see how it could hurt anyone for Taba to call himself a professional

TD55
08-09-2009, 19:59
You have missed the point entirely with the above post, and have tried to steer the discussion away from the real issues.
So, here is the issue simplified:
Taba says he is "a Professional Hiker."
Whiteblazers ask, "How so?"
He says he is a professional if he is good at something.
Whiteblazers say, "no, you have to be paid to be a professional."
So Taba changes his tune and says, "I have sponsors."
Whiteblazers say,"Prove it."
It should be very simple to prove, but Whiteblazers are still waiting for even a shred of evidence.

I haven't missed the point, you have, by a long shot.
The ORIGINAL POST was about a guy hiking the Mountains to Sea Trail and a challange for others to join him. He discribed himself as a professional hiker.
A debate followed about the definition of "professional". For a few, the numerous dictionary definitions offered in this thread are not sufficient and they have chosen to use one that they have made up. The word can mean different things, it has multiple uses.
When did you become the spokesperson for Whiteblazers? I don't see unity of opinion, I see a debate. I also see you using the made up definition of professionals have to be paid to call themselves professional.
Taba says he has sponsors. You claim Whiteblazers say prove it. How many Whiteblazers said that? Really dude, you can't just make stuff up like that. Actualy, how dare you make the claim you are talking for Whiteblazers.
If to not bare false witness and a person being innocent until proven guilty is beyond your understanding or belief system then go ahead and slander on. Some of us believe that no one, not anyone, not the government, not the press, no one, has the right to throw out an accusation of wrongdoing without some kind of evidence and then demand the accused prove him or heself innocent of the charge.
Now do YOU get the point?

Taba
08-14-2009, 14:09
I just wanted to take a minute here in the coffee shop to respond to the sponsorship issue. I "changed my tune" later on because that is when I got the Leki sponsorship. When I was personally handed the poles the representative told me that I was now sponsored by Leki and that he expected to see something about it on the internet. Teva has seen my website where I called them a sponsor and have told me that it looked great and they thanked me for the "Shout out". I will not provide the names for the people I deal with because I worked hard at getting these companies to recognize me. If you want the names do the work yourself. It took me 20 years of doing what I do to acquire these sponsors. If you are not sponsored then you are not trying hard enough.

Thank you to everybody who has shown support to my adventures. I didn't know that people were going to be this upset about someone trying to create a sport out of hiking. There are professional runners why can't there be a professional hiker? Please answer this.

Thanks again,
Taba

Arizona
08-15-2009, 14:18
"When I was personally handed the poles the representative told me that I was now sponsored by Leki and that he expected to see something about it on the internet. Teva has seen my website where I called them a sponsor and have told me that it looked great and they thanked me for the "Shout out". I will not provide the names for the people I deal with because I worked hard at getting these companies to recognize me."

These companies have not recognized you. I can't find anyone at Leki or Teva who has even heard of you or your trail name. I will admit I am wrong if you can give the name of even one person who can verify your claim. There are no secret sponsors. You putting a Leki logo on your website does not make you sponsored by them.

"There are professional runners why can't there be a professional hiker? Please answer this."

Nobody is saying there aren't professional runners and professional hikers. What everyone is saying is that YOU are not a professional hiker.

Bearpaw
08-15-2009, 14:36
I can't believe folks are still http://www.appalachiantrailservices.com/pics/smilies/beatdeadhorse5.gif.

Heater
08-15-2009, 15:09
I can't believe folks are still http://www.appalachiantrailservices.com/pics/smilies/beatdeadhorse5.gif.

They're professionals! :D

TD55
08-15-2009, 15:10
Nobody is saying there aren't professional runners and professional hikers. What everyone is saying is that YOU are not a professional hiker.
No they aren't. It's you that seems hung up of the issue. Maybe in the earlier post people were questioning the use of the word professional but once the many dictionary definitions were posted most folks kind of backed off and decided it was a non-issue and the guy could call himself whatever he wanted. It amazes me that that a small few folks simply refuse to accept that a word can have multiple meanings and refuse to accept difinitions listed in dictionarys.

elmotoots
08-15-2009, 15:11
Bearpaw

That is some funny stuff.........

I also cannot believe there are over 22,000 members who have not posted on this thread.

Hey Arizona
Everyone did not say he was not a professional hiker. I for one did not, so don't pretend to be able to speak for everyone

Give me some of the names of the people you know at these companys. I would like to see if I can get them to sponsor me. Or could it be that you don't know anyone there who handles such matters.

If you can't help me out i guess i will try another route.

Elmo

Arizona
08-15-2009, 15:25
No they aren't. It's you that seems hung up of the issue. Maybe in the earlier post people were questioning the use of the word professional but once the many dictionary definitions were posted most folks kind of backed off and decided it was a non-issue and the guy could call himself whatever he wanted. It amazes me that that a small few folks simply refuse to accept that a word can have multiple meanings and refuse to accept difinitions listed in dictionarys.

TD55, or Taba or whoever you are calling yourself today, you keep trying to throw people off by shifting the conversation away from the main issue, which is the claim you made of sponsorship. You can't name a person at any of these companies because they have not sponsored you in any way.

TD55
08-15-2009, 15:38
TD55, or Taba or whoever you are calling yourself today, you keep trying to throw people off by shifting the conversation away from the main issue, which is the claim you made of sponsorship. You can't name a person at any of these companies because they have not sponsored you in any way.

Are you serious? You think that I might be Taba? Do you really think there is a conspiracy going on to trick people into thinking Taba got some free stuff?
How in the world do you figure the "...main issue..." is wether this guy is sponsored or not? You seem to be stuck on that point. It does not seem obvious that others give a crap.

Arizona
08-15-2009, 15:51
Do you really think there is a conspiracy going on to trick people into thinking Taba got some free stuff?

As ALWAYS you twist what people are saying.
The conspiracy is trying to trick people into thinking Taba is a professional hiker and is sponsored. He is neither. People have asked for any type of evidence. He refuses to produce any, because he has none.

TD55
08-15-2009, 16:13
N0, you suggested a conspiracy when your #195. When you opened your post with the statedment "TD55, or Taba or whoever you are calling yourself today," you suggested that TD55, which is ME, and Taba were one in the same. I am not Taba. I do not know Taba. I have never met Taba. I did not twist your words. You typed them out and posted them. They came from inside your head.
There is not a conspiracy to convince people about Taba being a professional or having sponsors. He said what he had to say and others have said what they have to say. Everyone has a right to an opinion. My opinion at this point is that you, Arizona, are perhaps drunk when you post, or, perhaps a very jealous person who can not accept that someone like Taba is doing something you failed at, or have some kind of mental type issues going on. I mean no disrespect, but but you are kind of exsposing yourself as a person with some problems. You are accusing people of wrongdoings with no evidence or back-up. Who knows why.

ed bell
08-15-2009, 16:28

Taba

OK folks, TABA was requesting others consider hiking the MST. If you want to talk about what the meaning of "professional hiker" is, please start a new thread. At some point this has become a distraction to the spirit of Taba's original post. Please move on.

Arizona
08-15-2009, 16:49
Everyone has a right to an opinion.

Except for all of the people who have posted with doubts about Taba.

My opinion at this point is that you, Arizona, are perhaps drunk when you post,

I see, when you have nothing, make up stuff (hmmm, just like Taba)

or, perhaps a very jealous person who can not accept that someone like Taba is doing something you failed at,

Nothing to be jealous of. He is not a professional hiker, nor does he have sponsors.
What have I failed at??? You keep throwing in stuff over and over that is not relevant to the conversation.

or have some kind of mental type issues going on. I mean no disrespect, but but you are kind of exsposing yourself as a person with some problems.

You throw insults, because you have no case. Try sticking to the discussion.

You are accusing people of wrongdoings with no evidence or back-up. Who knows why.

All the evidence shows what he said about being a professional hiker and having a sponsor is not true. There is has been absolutely no evidence on your side.
You are only digging yourself in deeper.

Arizona
08-15-2009, 16:51
OK folks, TABA was requesting others consider hiking the MST. If you want to talk about what the meaning of "professional hiker" is, please start a new thread. At some point this has become a distraction to the spirit of Taba's original post. Please move on.

Will do. Sorry, I was typing my response when you put up this request.:)

Taba
08-16-2009, 16:55
Arizona, I don't have to prove anything and I can't beleive you would think that TD55 and I are the same person. I see that you have a lot of experience on trails but not a lot of experience in the world. Just like some people are booksmart and others have common sense. I am a sponsored hiker. I am not going to give the names of my contacts because, if I was the company, I wouldn't want an influx of requests for sponsorship. I can't help that you disbelieve that fact that there is a sponsored hiker. I am sure that, with your resume, you could get a sponsor but you must do your own homework. I can pass your name off to my contacts if you would like but I can't gaurantee anything for you. Just send me a transcript of your resume and your ideas on how to increase the popularity of the product and the sport in which you are so good at. How will you increase sales and be a positive influence on newcombers to your sport? I will help you if I can.

Now, Ed Bell has a point. I think even I was thrown off the actual reason for this thread. I did invite people to join me or hike on their own 100 miles or 1 week of the MST. Thank you for bringing us back here, Ed.

Has anyone done any hiking on the MST this year?

How many miles? How long were you out? What section(s) did you do? and What was your experience like?

There is a license plate here in North Carolina that says "Share the Journey". I am finally trying to do what they tell me to do and it is a journey worth sharing. Come out and hike! I wouldn't mind some company out here. This trail shouldn't be this lonely.

Taba

ed bell
08-16-2009, 17:26

This applies to you as well, Taba.

Thanks.

Ol Mole
08-16-2009, 20:40
To quote Taba

I beg to differ. Grandma Gatewood doesn't fit your defination, but thru hiked the AT in her 80's. Read about it.

Taba
08-18-2009, 10:35
Grandma Gatewood was a great inspiration for many hikers. She, just as much as all of us who hike, put herself in situations, that without the right knowledge, could be dangerous. Being so far away from civilization can pose many problems. I don't however consider the Appalachian Trail "away from civilization". If something happens to you out on the AT all you have to do is wait an hour or so for the next hiker to walk by. The AT is a shelter hop. You don't even need a tent out there. I would like to see more trails like the AT but we need to get people to realize that there are more trails to hike then just the AT. If you want to challenge yourself and your ability to survive on your own then hike the MST. The MST is not a shelter hop and you are not catered to in every town like the AT, but has the same experience and great potential of being just as popular as the AT. You just have to look a little more to find your resources. That is why I have written the Manual for the MST to let you know where those resources are and to bring the AT hikers who are looking for something else to do and enjoy another different challenge. Hence the reason I have labeled this thread the "100 hiker Challenge."

Hiking is more than just walking! You are away from all of your comfort zones, except while on the AT. You can't just go to a fast food restaurant and spend money to get prepared food and you can't just go home to crawl into a nice comfortable bed or simply run into a building in bad weather. You are by yourself, unless on the AT, and you must rely on what you have learned throughout your own life to get you through your quest however long that is. Why do you think the drop-out rate is so high on the AT? If it was easy everybody who attempted it would finish. I walk around the country like most people walk around their neighborhood. I am not a one timer I am a lifer. I have the greatest time knowing that I am accomplishing huge goals, not just for me but for everybody. This manual will hopefully be successful in bringing more hikers to North Carolina, which is going to benefit every town along the route. Financially, these towns would see an increase in sales of food, camping supplies, lodging etc. How much money does a hiker spend in town to re-energize himself? I figure it is about $100.00 in each town. The money you spend buys you a hotel stay, a restaurant meal, groceries and maybe even a six pack of beer to celebrate the accomplishment with your friends. There are about 30 towns along the MST. In 5 years I project 100 hikers a year on the MST. Now if you do the math, that brings in $300,000 to the state just from hikers. This means more shops will open up that cater to hikers, which means more jobs. The towns will eventually start to have festivals for thru-hikers on the MST, which will bring vendors, locals and more attention to the trail. That will increase interest for more hikers to walk a different path. The trail was built for hikers, let's hike it!!!!!!!!

I have plans to write manuals for several more long distance trails in the next few years. I want my passion of hiking to be contagious. I want to see more people enjoying the true spirit of America. Why is this so hard to understand? When I document a journey I find everything that a hiker needs and wants. Unless you have bought a copy or have even looked through the Manual, I don't beleive that you understand how much work I have put into making these trails less stressful for everyone. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to hike every trail with the confidence of knowing where all of your resources are? That is what I am doing and will continue to do until my body says it can't go any farther.

Stop the arguements and go hike, somewhere. If you want to do the MST I can help you on your journey. I have completely hiked this trail twice and I am now on my third trip across the state. I pretty much know where everything is at on this trail and still finding more with every mile I hike.

Taba

restless
08-18-2009, 16:47
Haven't piped in lately as I've been building trail in NH but would like to make a few observations.
1.) I agree with some of the recent posts that we should let the argument of "professional hiker" die on this thread.
2.) I have to admit that I look forward to checking out Taba's guidebook once I get back down south. The MST is one terrific trail and it's beauty matches anything along the AT. However, info on the MST has been limited to a rather bulky, but well done book, written by a person with a history of putting out trustworthy guidebooks. He has also been extensively involved in getting the MST put on the ground and off the road. If Taba's book is more of a more useful, say like the Data Book, chances are I will pick up a copy.
3.) While I would encourage anyone on here to hike the MST, if for no other reason than to get some of the traffic off of the AT, I would rather not see it become like the AT. Too many people on a single trail, regardless of it's length, can cause irreversible damage to the flora and fauna. The MST from my perspective is a special trail because of it's "wildness". Taba is right in that a person had better know his or her stuff before setting off. No, it's not rocket science, but you would be surprised at how many hikers, even AT thru-hikers, lack common map and compass skills. A GPS unit usually won't tell you where to find a water source. When a trail gets too much overexposure, people without proper level of expertise want to hike it without taking into consideration the consequences (how many of you met people starting out the AT at Springer or Katahdin who just didn't have a clue), maintenance levels increase to support the increase of foot traffic and to deal with subsequent erosion issues, the wildness aspect is gradually removed from wilderness to the point where nothing wild remains, health issues become more problematic as shelters draw mice, raccoons and bears as a result of ignorant hikers leaving trash, food scraps, s*** and s*** paper nearby, wildlife habitat and sensitive species are destroyed by repaeted trampling of vegetation and the ever increasing size of fire rings and campsites. I could go on and on but this is not what I look for in a wilderness setting. If this is what people really want for the MST, in short, another AT, well count me out. I would just as soon keep it wild and see less people. Nuff said.

Taba
08-25-2009, 01:34
Restless, I finally agree with you. I don't want to see the MST turn into another AT either. The FMST has been attending "Trail Days" in Damascus and promoting the trail to thru-hikers. My guide book is for those hiker's and others who want to hike part of the MST. It is not going to tell you how pretty the trail is. You will find that out while hiking it. You don't need to carry the weight of that information on your back the entire trip. "The Thru-Hiker's Manual for the Mountains-to-Sea Trail of North Carolina" weighs 4 oz. and is very detailed about what you are going to see and pass along the trail. It is designed as a landmark guide to let you know where all of the resources are.

I have now hiked the MST twice and I am now 200 miles into my third thru-hike and over 1,100 miles into a yo-yo this year. When I am finished in October I will be working on the updated 2010 versions that will come out in February 2010. The Manual will then be available for Eastbound and Westbound. They will be seperate Manuals for which ever direction you wish to travel the MST. I will also let you know, as a thru-hiker, the Manual is an amazing resource. Not just because I wrote it but because I tested it and had a much better experience on the trail because of it.

You can now plan out your days with the confidence of knowing where you will end your day, get your water and know where hundreds of view points, hotels, hostles, campgrounds, restaurants, grocery stores, outfitters, gas stations, post offices, coffee shops, book stores, libraries and universities for internet connections, laundry facilities, medical facilities not only for you but for your pets, banks and many other attractions along the Mountains-to-Sea Trail route. I have found several private residents that are willing to help hikers out with the camping issue also, they will be listed in the 2010 versions. I am also receiving a great response from the churches along the way about camping on their property. I believe there are now at least 15 churches who welcome hikers and I expect more phone calls and emails from other churches. This is fixing the "Illegal Camping Issue." I have done a lot of work to help people enjoy this adventure. It really is a trail worth looking into and with more people hiking it the more likely it will all be in the wilderness and will have less road walk, quicker than expected. The reason you build trails is to have hikers hike them. Let's hike this one!

Thank you,
Taba

JoshStover
08-25-2009, 05:23
Dude Taba, I love what you are doing and I am truly jealous. Just don't toot your own horn so much man. Your great work should speak for it's self...

Taba
08-25-2009, 10:30
Dude Taba, I love what you are doing and I am truly jealous. Just don't toot your own horn so much man. Your great work should speak for it's self...

Thank you Josh. I wasn't trying to toot my horn. I was just trying to help people understand how much effort I am putting into making the Manual as precise as possible. I want to help hiker's in every way I can and find others who wish to do the same. It really is a lot of work for one person to do alone and I feel that some people on here are not willing to look at the future results of what is happening now. This trail will be a wonderful adventure for many years. We just need to see some hikers on it. Maintainers build trails, hikers develop them. Why would you reroute a trail if nobody hikes on it? Why would you open an outfitter if you don't have hikers in town? I would be happy to see 100 hikers attempt the MST each year. I can see this happening within 5 years. My work should speak for itself, as long as people are listening.

Taba

The Weasel
08-25-2009, 11:14
I've followed this thread for a while, and I have to admit to being a bit perplexed:

First, while I respect Ed's request not to divert this into a debate about what a "professional hiker" is, I'm confused about that as well as mysterious "sponsors". I haven't heard of anyone really making a living off of hiking - and I believe Dan Bruce when he's said he lost a lot of money trying to - and if someone is encouraging me to do something (and that includes hiking the MST) based on their experience and support from others, I guess I'd like to know what that is made up of. Otherwise, I have a bit of sense of being used for some purpose that I'm not clear about.

Second, if the goal is 100 people to hike the entire MST each year, I'm not sure what that accomplishes to make it a better trail. Thruhiking doesn't define a trail; weekend users do. Right now the MST appears to be only 500 miles of noncontiguous pathway, with the rest using temporary alternatives. That's not bad, but it is a strong point more for encouraging greater short (25-50) and medium (50-100) miles legs, rather than thru hiking an incomplete trail; often, trip reports from trails with major road components end up being very discouraging, giving a trail a negative image that isn't dispelled for a long time.

Third, while it's not clear that Scot has really done a trail guide, he seems to be suggesting that he has. Is one available? Is it truly useful, for an incomplete trail? Is it for sale, or is it going to be posted on line?

While I have no doubt that, particularly in different seasons, the completed segments are delighful (and I have a pretty good idea of NC, from end to end), I'm not sure this is a trail that is yet ready for the majors. I may be wrong, but I think it would help if Taba were more forthcoming about himself and his agenda as a way of promoting confidence in his recommendations about this trail.

TW

Big Dawg
08-25-2009, 16:27
Third, while it's not clear that Scot has really done a trail guide, he seems to be suggesting that he has. Is one available? Is it truly useful, for an incomplete trail? Is it for sale, or is it going to be posted on line?

I've seen it available at MRO, and I'm sure it's available in other outfitters.

Keep up the good work Taba!

JoshStover
08-25-2009, 21:38
Thank you Josh. I wasn't trying to toot my horn. I was just trying to help people understand how much effort I am putting into making the Manual as precise as possible. I want to help hiker's in every way I can and find others who wish to do the same. It really is a lot of work for one person to do alone and I feel that some people on here are not willing to look at the future results of what is happening now. This trail will be a wonderful adventure for many years. We just need to see some hikers on it. Maintainers build trails, hikers develop them. Why would you reroute a trail if nobody hikes on it? Why would you open an outfitter if you don't have hikers in town? I would be happy to see 100 hikers attempt the MST each year. I can see this happening within 5 years. My work should speak for itself, as long as people are listening.

Taba

I am planning to thru the AT in '10 but once I finish that I will most def have to try out the MST. I would like to go ahead and get one of your books now so I can know what to expect once I get on the trail. Is there anywhere I can get it online? Let me know and keep up the good work man. :banana

Taba
08-25-2009, 23:29
The question about the trail being finished is up for debate. As of right now I have walked across the state 2 times on the MST. If it is not finished than how is that possible? If the question is whether it is all wilderness trail than no it is not complete. We need to get out of the mind set that every trail has to be in the woods. The road walk is like a bike trip but a little slower.

As for my Manual. I have sold over 200 copies and over 40 stores are carrying it for retail purpose. There are at least 6 hikers who plan to use the Manual for their thru-hike this year. Why would I hike the trail twice if I didn't write the manual on my first trip? I have completed the second trip and have gathered all the information for the 2010 version.

I believe that my intentions have been clear from the very first post. I want to help the MST gain a little popularity and see the trail develop into another avenue for adventure for long distance hikers. What is so hard to understand about that. I have made this a project for 2 years and have created a manual that helps take all of the stress off of this journey.

If you would like a copy of The Thru-hiker's Manual for the MST of NC, they are going for $20.00 and can be purchased by mail at:

PO Box 55536
Lexington, KY 40555-5536

Or if you live in North Carolina send me a message about where you are at and I will give you a store close to you that has them on the shelves. Feel free to ask me any question about the hike, the manual or it's contents.

As far as the sponsors, I know that I am a sponsored athlete and so do my sponsors. Granted I am low on the totem pole right now but isn't that a foot in the door for greater opportunity. I am not making a living at being a sponsored hiker, in fact the book sales are barely keeping me with food money. But I am enduring this challenge to help future hikers of the MST and the sponsor have recogonized this.

Taba

The Weasel
08-26-2009, 00:00
Taba:

A few thoughts...

First, the MST Trail Association is the one which says that the road sections are "temporary connectors." And while every trail has road sections, to have a 1000 mile trail that is only 500 miles of pathway isn't a finished trail. It's a series of trails, with roads to connect it. If I want to hike roads, I don't need the MST to do so. And yes, I have no doubt you've walked from end to end, using those temporary connectors. But I reiterate: Most long distance hikers have other, more enjoyable choices, and if you get a negative reputation for the MST by prematurely encouraging thruhiking it as "too much road hiking" that rep will be harder to get rid of as it gets more complete. Other long trails recognize this by not encouraging thruhiking (e.g. the NCT and others that are still works-in-progress). Help your trail, and that's a good thing. But don't damage it by hype, even if unintended.

Second, some of us here are a tiny bit cynical - and I'm sorry, but it's true - because we've seen a lot of hype in the past for crusades of different kinds. As you spend more time explaining your trail (is it listed in the "other trails" forum here? if not, it should be!) and how it's exciting, people will just get interested in it and also post things. That'll do more for your trail than 100 thruhikers in 5 years. Just be natural and not quite so aggressive. It might help some if the defensive tone of your posts was reduced a bit.

Lastly, you're the one who has trumpeted - there's no other word for it - that you're a "professional" hiker with "sponsors". You may not be aware of it, but there have been several scamming and semi-scamming posters on WB over the years who suddenly appear, tout their "experience" and "massive support" from others, and seek some kind of personal gain from it. It's becoming obvious that you're not in that category, but it might have been better not to mention sponsors you don't want to name or make it sound like you're trying to make a living from any trail, since most of us know that's impossible (sorry, wish you were making more!).

Good luck.

TW

TOW
08-26-2009, 00:08
sounds like you are moving along Taba,,,,,,,,,,,,,just get her done.....

Taba
08-26-2009, 00:47
Taba:

A few thoughts...

First, the MST Trail Association is the one which says that the road sections are "temporary connectors." And while every trail has road sections, to have a 1000 mile trail that is only 500 miles of pathway isn't a finished trail. It's a series of trails, with roads to connect it. If I want to hike roads, I don't need the MST to do so. And yes, I have no doubt you've walked from end to end, using those temporary connectors. But I reiterate: Most long distance hikers have other, more enjoyable choices, and if you get a negative reputation for the MST by prematurely encouraging thruhiking it as "too much road hiking" that rep will be harder to get rid of as it gets more complete. Other long trails recognize this by not encouraging thruhiking (e.g. the NCT and others that are still works-in-progress). Help your trail, and that's a good thing. But don't damage it by hype, even if unintended.

Second, some of us here are a tiny bit cynical - and I'm sorry, but it's true - because we've seen a lot of hype in the past for crusades of different kinds. As you spend more time explaining your trail (is it listed in the "other trails" forum here? if not, it should be!) and how it's exciting, people will just get interested in it and also post things. That'll do more for your trail than 100 thruhikers in 5 years. Just be natural and not quite so aggressive. It might help some if the defensive tone of your posts was reduced a bit.

Lastly, you're the one who has trumpeted - there's no other word for it - that you're a "professional" hiker with "sponsors". You may not be aware of it, but there have been several scamming and semi-scamming posters on WB over the years who suddenly appear, tout their "experience" and "massive support" from others, and seek some kind of personal gain from it. It's becoming obvious that you're not in that category, but it might have been better not to mention sponsors you don't want to name or make it sound like you're trying to make a living from any trail, since most of us know that's impossible (sorry, wish you were making more!).

Good luck.

TW

One, this is not my trail. It is Allen deHart's vision. I just hiked it and wrote a book to help others with listing directions and resources along the way. The trail doesn't belong to one person. Once you establish a trail and invite people to use it, you have given it to the public. Why shouldn't we try to thru-hike it? Why does hiking have to be all in the woods? If you don't want to walk on roads then wait a few years and then hike the MST. But, if you want a different kind of challenge then the MST is a good one, in my opinion.

Two, all I saw of the Appalachian Trail was the woods in every state. The MST shows you everything that North Carolina is about from the scenic land to the culture in towns.

Three, I have let you know who my "Mysterious" sponsors are. They are Leki, Teva, and Wandering Buddha aka Trail Hound. Just because I don't want to give out specific contact names doesn't mean that I am not sponsored by them.

Four, my quality of work is of professional status. If you wish to examine my work for yourself, check out the Manual. Lightweight travel has been my life for over 20 years now. Before I started hiking I rode my bicycle over 40,000 miles around the US since 1988. I know what to look for and where to find it no matter what the needs are. This is why I am so confident in my ability. Plus, I don't see myself stopping any time soon. This is my career of choice.

Five, if you want me to be nicer to you be nicer to me. Then I wouldn't have to be so defensive. All I wanted from this was to increase popularity of the MST. I did that. If nothing else I've kept you entertained. I like the poking match we have here it lets me know that I am keeping you interested. I am just tired of the people who have no idea what they are talking about or don't know all the facts trying to tell me that I am not what I am.

Taba

Taba
08-26-2009, 01:26
One other note on this. If the FMST doesn't want thru-hikers to attempt the trail then why do they attend and promote the MST to thru-hikers at "Trail Days" in Damascus? Everybody knows that Trail Days is a festival for thru-hikers who have done the AT, are doing the AT or getting an idea of thru-hiking the AT or another trail that they learn about at the festival.

Taba

Taba
08-29-2009, 20:07
My ultimate goal with the Manual is to speed up the process to getting this trail more thru-hiker friendly so the Appalachian Trail finishers have the answer to their question when the reach Katahdin of, "what's next" or "now what do I do". If we get more people hiking now, the trail will get more attention from locals and town officials and will increase the speed of the re-routing. That is just my prediction. But in order for thru-hikers to consider hiking the MST they need the proper resources. That is what I am working on. Instead of challenging me, why don't we challenge the trail. As for the road walk; if you can ride your bike on the road you can walk on the road. The danger is no different.

Taba

Taba
09-06-2009, 22:08
I am passing Durham now and will be going into the mountains on more established trail. Does anyone want to join me out there as I work my way back to Clingman's? If so, let's plan a meet-up point? I have had a few people join me out here this year and would love to share this adventure with more.

Taba

MrSparex
09-18-2009, 20:37
I sat and talked with Taba today. He has finished the MST this year and is now walking BACK to Clingmons Dome...He is very interesting and after talking to him...YES he is a professional hiker...or should I say explorer. He is currently in Dobson, nc heading towards Stone Mtn. State Park.

hikingtime
09-19-2009, 17:51
Or if you live in North Carolina send me a message about where you are at and I will give you a store close to you that has them on the shelves.

I will be in NC in a couple of weeks. Please list the names of a few stores that carry your book. Thanks.

Arizona
09-19-2009, 19:47
If you would like a copy of The Thru-hiker's Manual for the MST of NC, they are going for $20.00 and can be purchased by mail at:

PO Box 55536
Lexington, KY 40555-5536

Caveat emptor - Latin for "Let the buyer beware."

MrSparex
09-20-2009, 16:27
I didn't mean to get off the subject...I hadn't read the previous posts.
Taba called last night and he is going thru Stone Mountain today. Lots and lots of rain last night...

Heater
09-20-2009, 19:30
I didn't mean to get off the subject...I hadn't read the previous posts.
Taba called last night and he is going thru Stone Mountain today. Lots and lots of rain last night...

Will he be signing autographs? http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing013.gif

MrSparex
09-21-2009, 22:46
I expecthe'd probably give you his autograph IF your a nice person...
Don't drive out here though...as much as he journeys he'll come thru Texas...
....eventually... LOL
I enjoyed meeting someone who is doing things I wish I were able to do
"Hike on dude"

Taba
09-23-2009, 22:12
Will he be signing autographs? http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing013.gif

I have signed several for free but for you it will cost $20.00

Taba

Taba
10-07-2009, 22:19
Caveat emptor - Latin for "Let the buyer beware."

I would like to say a few choice words to you but will decline. I have written the best guide book for the MST so far. I am not saying this because I wrote it but because I tested it both directions this year. Everybody who has ordered a book has received one and I have gotten great reviews from a lot of people who are using it on their hikes. The reason I chose to tell "hikingtime" to order it through the mail is because he didn't specify which town he was going to. It is kind of like asking which store sells the best sea shells in Florida. There are over 40 stores across North Carolina along the trail that are carrying the Manual. Check local outfitters, coffee shops and book stores. So please educate yourself about what you are talking about before you make stupid comments. I started my yo-yo of the MST with $300 and relied on book sales to cover my expenses. I have sold over 200 copies and $1.00 from every book sold is going to the FMST to help with making this trail better. What have you done to help the hiking culture grow?

Taba

Taba
12-21-2009, 00:44
The year is almost over and the end of the hundred hiker challenge. When I first posted this thread I was interested in increasing the population of hiker on the Mountains-to-Sea Trail. The message was hidden by the "professional hiker" debate. That was a success in my quest to help the trail. The number of posts and reply to posts have increased from 1,000 in May of 2008 when I started my first thru-hike to now close to 80,000 after my third. The increse in numbers have shown that there is an interest developing for this trail. In fact, I was not the only one to finish this trail this year. There were about 4 or 5 more hiker/bikers that completed the trek as well. I also know of several section hikers who were out for a week or more. I wanted to see 100 hikers attempt this challenge but expected 10. In my opinion "The Hundred Hiker Challenge" was a complete success. Thank you to everybody for helping the Mountains-to-Sea Trail grow. It really is a wonderful adventure to enjoy.

Taba

Walessp
12-21-2009, 09:57
Taba

Met a hiker named Phil on the MST the other day and showed him your book. He seemed very interested in buying one so I gave him your email address off the back cover. Hopefully he'll be contacting you soon.

Outlaw

Taba
12-22-2009, 01:53
Thank you Outlaw, I will keep an eye out for him. Also wanted to thank you for coming out and hiking with me. Your friendship and company out there was something to look forward to. Whether you did it to take on the hiker challenge or create one of your own by hiking the MST in sections, you became one of the hikers who have achieved either 1 week or 100 miles on the MST this year. Which is what the "100 Hiker Challenge" was all about. To bring more attention to an amazing adventure and to share it with others.

If I am not mistaken you hiked more than 100 miles on the MST this year, right? I know that you hiked with me a bunch and some on your own.

Taba

Walessp
12-22-2009, 02:19
It was great fun for me too! My MST Miles for 2009 were 237, which surprised me, although it sure doesn't put me in the big leagues, I guess. But after all, "it's all about the smiles - not the miles" right? BTW, my first entry was a hike into Belews Creek with you!

Outlaw

Arizona
12-22-2009, 14:31
Quote - "Caveat emptor - Latin for "Let the buyer beware.""

I would like to say a few choice words to you but will decline. I have written the best guide book for the MST so far. I am not saying this because I wrote it but because I tested it both directions this year. Everybody who has ordered a book has received one and I have gotten great reviews from a lot of people who are using it on their hikes. The reason I chose to tell "hikingtime" to order it through the mail is because he didn't specify which town he was going to. It is kind of like asking which store sells the best sea shells in Florida. There are over 40 stores across North Carolina along the trail that are carrying the Manual. Check local outfitters, coffee shops and book stores. So please educate yourself about what you are talking about before you make stupid comments. I started my yo-yo of the MST with $300 and relied on book sales to cover my expenses. I have sold over 200 copies and $1.00 from every book sold is going to the FMST to help with making this trail better. What have you done to help the hiking culture grow?

Taba

The reason I said "caveat emptor" [Let the buyer beware] is because you won't take Paypal, you list only a PO Box instead of a real address, and because you have been caugh more than a few times saying things that are not true. Then when people catch you in a lie, you try and switch the conversation to unrelated things instead of addressing the issue in question. Whenever someone asks you for any proof, all you do is post ANOTHER post about how great a hiker you are or how great the book is.
I wouldn't trust you with a penny.

Taba
12-23-2009, 01:13
Quote - "Caveat emptor - Latin for "Let the buyer beware.""

The reason I said "caveat emptor" [Let the buyer beware] is because you won't take Paypal, you list only a PO Box instead of a real address, and because you have been caugh more than a few times saying things that are not true. Then when people catch you in a lie, you try and switch the conversation to unrelated things instead of addressing the issue in question. Whenever someone asks you for any proof, all you do is post ANOTHER post about how great a hiker you are or how great the book is.
I wouldn't trust you with a penny.

Look dude,
I don't care if you believe me or not but when you start calling me a liar I have to call it there. I have never lied about anything. Just because I wouldn't tell you who my direct contacts are at the companies who sponsored me to hike the MST again this year, does not mean I have lied. That means I have other reasons to why I don't feel it is necessary to give out the contacts so freely on a public website nor to you. When a company gives you product to hike a trail with and supports you all the way through. That company has given some level of sponsorship to the adventure. I will still call myself a professional hiker because that is what I am. That is how I live my life!

I spend a lot of my time in the woods. I don't use the computer much and don't know anything about Paypal, I use a PO box because I am constantly on the go and that is the one constant place that I go to receive my mail.

Now, leave me alone and go post somewhere else. You don't know me, nor have you seen the Manual I have written and you have been sadly mistaken about my character. You are talking about things you don't know anything about and trying to mislead others to think as negative as you are. Too bad your life is so miserable that you have to falsly accuse people of doing wrong to make yourself feel good.

Taba

Taba
12-24-2009, 01:42
I have had a great year this year. The poking match kind of kept me focused on my goal. Sometimes the posts got personal. But I choose to believe that it was a good and fun debate. When we debate we are still friends, when we argue we become enemies. I have no enemies and will continue to focus on the acheivements I accomplished throughout this year. I think everybody should take some time to pat themselves on their back for their accomplishments. It doesn't matter how simple they seem to be or how impressive they were they all mean the same thing. We are all goal achievers.

I wish I didn't have to feel like I needed to defend my character because of one random person from Arizona, whom I have never met. He is throwing judgement on a person 2,000 miles away from himself over a computer. He knows nothing about, what he is talking about. Percerption is reality for this guy. His perception is wrong. Why would would I go through the effort of thru-hiking a single 1,000 mile trail 3 times in 2 years to write a book to help popularize a culture that I love, if I wasn't going to be honest about distributing them. If the question was quality of information, I searched every detail of this journey 3 times. I found all of the resources, a thru-hiker needs or wants, both on trail and off. I have drawn maps of the towns so you know exactly where you are going when you get into town for the 2010 versions. I used my own guide to hike the trail all 3 times. I have tested it's durability to weather and accuracy of all the information in it. I know for a fact that this is the book that hikers need for the MST. I wrote it to help hikers. How many AT finisher's got to Katahdin and said to themselves "Now what?!" This trail could be that "now what". It can be a very thru-hiker friendly trail. I have gone to every store, church and visitor center along this trail to tell everybody about it. I predict in the near future that there will be a festival like "Trail Days" somewhere along the Mountains-to-Sea Trail for MST hikers. I wrote the Manual to help relieve the stress of finding your resources while enjoying an amazing adventure and will continue to do the same for many other trails, with thru-hikers in mind.

There are a select few that understand the travelers need to awlays be looking for something new. The spirit of the explorer. The country was found by people like us. A lot of the paths we take, were discovered and drawn out by the pioneers and indians we learned about in grade school. I have been creating my own path for nearly 21 years now. I consider myself a pioneer or an explorer. Since 1988, I have ridden a bicycle over 40,000 miles across the US and since 2003, have hiked over 6,000 miles on established trail. I have ridden and walked through 36 states and have been to 49 out of the 50. I haven't figured out how to get to Alaska yet.

Minimalistic travel is what I know. This is what I have to pass on. I have endured 2 decades of intense travel to pass on the best of what I have learned along the way. The key to survival is the ability to improvise. I have improvised for 2 thirds of my life and always seem to find the best of everything. Please check out a website I set up to try and describe myself, where I come from and what I do. There are pictures, videos, news articles and links to my family history.

www.Thru-hiker.us (http://www.Thru-hiker.us)

Merry Christmas to everybody! Hope all of your holiday wishes come true.

Scot "Taba" Ward

JoshStover
12-24-2009, 02:15
Taba, I really enjoyed the videos on your site about your MST Thru. Keep up the good work man!

mweinstone
12-25-2009, 08:12
this thread smells and has a bad vibe.

Elder
12-25-2009, 10:52
:D Merry Christmas Taba!
And Thanks for your work on the MST!
Leki is Proud to sponsor You.

Elder :rolleyes:

Nean
12-25-2009, 11:26
The professional thing rubs me the wrong way but its a minor irritation. I've met you and think your intentions are good. I think its great that you have written the manual and wish you all the best.;)

restless
12-25-2009, 20:40
I am back in TN and have just had the opportunity to catch up on this post which has been interesting at times and has stimulated some well stated discussion. First, Taba, congrats on another complete on the MST. Circumstances prevent me from doing much hiking now, but trust me, the MST is on my short list.
Secondly, so far as the MST being"complete" simply because it has some road walk in it, is a misstatement. When the AT was first established it was not even a complete trail that spanned the distance that it does now. It has had it's fair share of roadwalks--does anybody out there remeber the Cumberland Valley roadwalk, or the VA. 42 walk near Ceres? Let's keep things in perspective. The MST is still in its growing stages much like the AT was in the 60's. and having been on some of the places where there is a footbed, I will commit blasphemy and say that I have found the MST to excel the AT in its beauty and difficulty. I hope that what Taba is doing is simply trying to promote a trail that does not have a support base to the degree that the AT does. And if we let our personal differences with the messenger take top place to the trail itself, the MST, I'm sorry to say is the one that will suffer. Take it from someone who has spent 12 years of his life devoted to building trails, it ain't no easy task. If you won't walk it at least volunteer to help build it. BTW-keep in mind, the AT still isn't officially finished. There still exist a few miles of unprotected trail, and reroutes change the trail every year.
Finally, let's take Ed's advice and air our grievences with Taba on another forum. I don't agree with everything he has said in this thread, but I admire his devotion to his cause. If you can't say something nice about what he has done, shut yer flap. Nuf said.

hikingtime
12-27-2009, 15:54
Jeesh Taba. All I did was ask you for the names of a few stores in NC that carry the book, because Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Borders and the other bookstores I am familiar with don't carry it. You couldn't even do that. But what you will do is toot your own horn over and over and over again. You have spammed on whiteblaze, trippleblaze, trailforums, trailplace, and others. You always brag about yourself and advertise your book, and people criticize you the same way as on Whiteblaze. Please stop spamming, and just hike your own hike.

Taba
12-28-2009, 01:25
Jeesh Taba. All I did was ask you for the names of a few stores in NC that carry the book, because Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Borders and the other bookstores I am familiar with don't carry it. You couldn't even do that. But what you will do is toot your own horn over and over and over again. You have spammed on whiteblaze, trippleblaze, trailforums, trailplace, and others. You always brag about yourself and advertise your book, and people criticize you the same way as on Whiteblaze. Please stop spamming, and just hike your own hike.

Once again hikingtime, if you gave me a general idea of what part of the state you were going to be in, I could have told you what was close by. North Carolina is a big state.

The Manual has been a solo project since the beginning in early 2008. I do not have a team of assistants helping me. I have self-published and self-promoted this book. I released the Manual in Feb. of '09 and then hiked from May to October. There were just over 200 copies sold and over 40 stores agreed to carry it in that 5 month span. I have been a huge advocate for this trail and our culture. I choose to remain beleiving that what I am doing is helping our culture grow. Since this is a one-man project, How do I inform others if I don't talk about it?

I am not tooting my horn nor bragging. I talk about it to include others as to what is available to them and maybe get them involved.

Taba

Taba
12-28-2009, 01:57
The reason you can't find anything on those Corporate sites is because the Manual doesn't have a UPC or an ISBN which is not necessary for sale of an item but is neccessary for those places to even think about putting it on their shelves. Try looking in more locally owned stores like small outfitters, book stores and coffee shops that are along the MST route. There are a lot of challenges in writing a guidebook and promoting it. Everyday I am focused on tackling those challenges.

Taba

Taba
12-28-2009, 18:06
I have overcome many challenges and accomplished tremendous feats. Throughout my entire life no challenge has been as tough as keeping this thread positive. This is one that I cannot do alone. I am asking for others to help out and join in to say something positive.

Thank you and Happy New Year,
Scot "Taba" Ward

Big Dawg
12-28-2009, 18:57
Taba, What you've done for the MST in NC is great. I have a lot of respect for your accomplishments. You've brought more awareness to this trail, and created a much needed thru hiker manual, which I now own. It truely is a shame that some on this site would nit pick your words and actions, and put aside the true meaning of your intention. They're like flies in the summer,,, you just gotta swat em away. Some people only know how to be negative. You can argue til you're blue in the face w/ these types, but they'll never change.

I say keep up what you're doing, & enjoy it! You're a positive influence to the ones who matter. :D

Walessp
12-29-2009, 17:41
Once again hikingtime, if you gave me a general idea of what part of the state you were going to be in, I could have told you what was close by. North Carolina is a big state.

The Manual has been a solo project since the beginning in early 2008. I do not have a team of assistants helping me. I have self-published and self-promoted this book. I released the Manual in Feb. of '09 and then hiked from May to October. There were just over 200 copies sold and over 40 stores agreed to carry it in that 5 month span. I have been a huge advocate for this trail and our culture. I choose to remain beleiving that what I am doing is helping our culture grow. Since this is a one-man project, How do I inform others if I don't talk about it?

I am not tooting my horn nor bragging. I talk about it to include others as to what is available to them and maybe get them involved.

Taba

I don't think anyone could have stated your case any better than you did above.

Outlaw

(walessp)

Blue Jay
12-29-2009, 20:02

I was already planning to do the Mountains to Sea Trail. I certainly hope I don't run into you as you are amazingly offensive and that's saying a lot as many of you know I can be also. If the unfortunate meeting happens please do not count me in your sad and pathetic "100 hiker count".

Blue Jay
12-29-2009, 20:05
I am not tooting my horn nor bragging.

Taba

Ah no, you're tooting your horn, bragging and surely hurting the sales of your book which if I had not stumbled on this thread would have bought.

Blue Jay
12-29-2009, 20:10
A hiker needs a backpack, a tent, a stove, food, water treatment or filter, footwear, the proper clothing for the seasons, hiking poles and a map or guidebook. All of these items are required to successfully complete any hike no matter how far the distance.

Congratulations this is the biggest load of crap EVER written on WB

Taba
12-29-2009, 20:36
I was already planning to do the Mountains to Sea Trail. I certainly hope I don't run into you as you are amazingly offensive and that's saying a lot as many of you know I can be also. If the unfortunate meeting happens please do not count me in your sad and pathetic "100 hiker count".

No problem, I don't need to meet anymore negative people and the MST is too good for your attitude. Stay on the AT.

Blue Jay
12-29-2009, 20:49
Your planet sized ego is doing nothing for your book sales. If anything your posts, if having any effect at all on the Mountains to Sea Trail, it is a negative one. I know you think it's "your" trail but I think I'll walk it any way.