PDA

View Full Version : Help me make a "necessary items" list

JLB
05-24-2004, 17:39
I've seen these lists from time to time at some of the stores I have shopped at. I'm not asking you to make the entire list, but I am interested in hearing from each of you what your one item that you consider indespensable, that might not be on the lists I have seen.

Thanks.

SGT Rock
05-24-2004, 18:29
I've seen these lists from time to time at some of the stores I have shopped at. I'm not asking you to make the entire list, but I am interested in hearing from each of you what your one item that you consider indespensable, that might not be on the lists I have seen.

Thanks.

Big Four:

Pack
Sleeping Bag
Shelter
Pad

Try to stay around 2 pounds or less for each, but going a little over isn't bad.

Pot
Stove
Fire
Spoon
Water bottle
Camp water source
Filter or treatment
food bag
no gun
extra socks
clothing bag
rain jacket
pack cover or liner
no cell phone
first aid kit
emergency fire starter
no dog
light
map
compass
guidebook
toilet paper
tooth brush and paste
small towel
soap or hand sanatizer
50' cord

Then it also depends on when and where you may go. You might need more clothing or something.

Alligator
05-24-2004, 18:38
Thermarest chair. My one luxury item. Always a comfortable place to sit at the end of the day.

Peaks
05-24-2004, 18:41
Thermarest chair. My one luxury item. Always a comfortable place to sit at the end of the day.

Everyone carries a luxury item or two. Not a necessity for most of us.

Photofanatic
05-24-2004, 21:17

Hammock Hanger
05-24-2004, 21:37
Hey Rock: I noticed a few NO's slipped in there... is that a sublimnial thing??? :) Sue/HH

Chappy
05-24-2004, 21:56

Thanks.

Highly recommend you check out SGT Rock's site: www.hikinghq.net

You can link to it from his posts. Well worth the effort!

SGT Rock
05-24-2004, 22:14
Thanks for the plug. Yes, before the deployment it was one of the most oft updated sites on the net LOL, but now it is saddly in need of some updates.

I don't see any no's :confused:

steve hiker
05-25-2004, 02:16
Iboprophen. You'll need it.

Alligator
05-25-2004, 08:19
Everyone carries a luxury item or two. Not a necessity for most of us.
Suppose I should clarify. While many might consider a thermarest chair a luxury (and therefore not on many lists), I consider it indispensible given the state of my back. I still have a reasonable pack weight of 25-30 lbs fully loaded.

Maybe you could answer the gentleman's question?

jersey joe
05-25-2004, 13:28
One item that I found very helpful, though not quite indispensable, was a pair of light camp shoes. A pair of flip flops, moccasins or whatever else to walk around camp in while your boots dry out!

SGT Rock
05-25-2004, 14:05
For ultralight camp shoes, you only need tot ake the insoles out of your shoes and some heavy rubber bands to make flip flops for wearing in the shelter. It alos helps the shoes dry a little faster.

smokymtnsteve
05-25-2004, 16:06
a french coffee press is an absolute nescessity on the trail IMO....how can one hike all day without starting that day with whole grain pancakes and a pot of fresh organic peruvian coffee. some good reading material (i.e. some edward abbey or John Steinbeck) is also nesscessary.

Lilred
05-25-2004, 16:56
Anything that has multiple uses I put in the necessity list due to the versatility. A simple bandana works as a washrag, towel, bandage, pot holder, filter for water, sweat band and hair tieback. Buy one that is orange and it is good for hunting season as well on the back of your pack.

JLB
05-26-2004, 01:01
a french coffee press is an absolute nescessity on the trail IMO....how can one hike all day without starting that day with whole grain pancakes and a pot of fresh organic peruvian coffee. some good reading material (i.e. some edward abbey or John Steinbeck) is also nesscessary.

I plan on using those coffee that are in flow-thru bags. They work great.

Uncle Wayne
05-26-2004, 01:33
A camera. It allows you to share your hike with the folks back home.

smokymtnsteve
05-26-2004, 10:35
I plan on using those coffee that are in flow-thru bags. They work great.

oh but the french pressed organic fair-trade coffee is SO much better...you can get the press made in titanium so it is very light weight