PDA

View Full Version : Question for previous thru hikers

Coyote918
03-15-2009, 22:35
I am leaving for my thru hike one week from today. I am very curious for those of you who have completed a thru hike, what was the hardest aspect of your journey (loneliness, bad weather, physical/ mental pain, etc.)? How did you overcome that? What kept you going?

Also, for those of you who did not make it to the end, why did you decide to finally get off the trail?

Thanks!

A-Train
03-15-2009, 23:11
Rain, rain and more rain. 2003 Spring was relentless.

A couple good thru-hiker pals around me and an ipod got me through. It's a lot of fun most of the time, but there is hardwork and boredom and pain.

garlic08
03-15-2009, 23:46
The hardest part for me was finishing the trail and saying good-bye to fellow hikers. Yes, there was some pain along the way, but I heard a good saying about that, "Pain is mandatory, suffering is optional." Good luck to you.

Just Jack
03-15-2009, 23:51
Days you don't want to be there but you don't want to quit.

Ox97GaMe
03-16-2009, 00:05
I tell folks that the two hardest steps that I had on the trail were the first and the last.

Making the decision to step into the woods and leave behind all the comforts of home (hot water, soft bed, dry clothes, family, friends) is often the toughest part. While in the woods, you will start thinking about all of these at one point or another. I think that most people drop off the trail because the lure to go back to their comfort zone becomes more compelling than making the necessary sacrifices required to complete the journey.

Leaving the trail was far more difficult for me than starting. If you make it the whole way, you will have established bonds with folks on the trail that are sometimes stronger than with family. You have been 'in the trenches' with these folks and it is very hard to say good bye.

Most people that get off the trail fall into one of the following groups:
a) injury
b) family emergency
c) tired/bored with daily routine
d) longing to go back to previous routine/lifestyle
e) they have found what they came out to the trail looking for

There were several days when I thought about quitting. Each time, something happened that reinforced within myself that the trail was where I needed to be. You will find that the trail community will provide the support network that you need to motivate you to succeed. The tough part is finding it within yourself to want to as well.

stumpknocker
03-16-2009, 04:56
Rain, rain and more rain. 2003 Spring was relentless.

That '03 bunch is still complaining about the springs running so well. :)

drastic_quench
03-16-2009, 05:19
Most people that get off the trail fall into one of the following groups:
a) injury
b) family emergency
Those're two I'll be worried about, because I can't control them. Sure, there's sound ways to prevent injuries - but stuff happens, ankles twist, etc.

fiddlehead
03-16-2009, 05:24
1st step is the hardest. Just getting there, getting the time, doing the planning, getting the gear.
Once you take that first step, it's fun time. Low stress, no: newspapers, world problems, money problems (hiking is about the cheapest thing you can do),
NO Worries Mate!

Yeah, the last step is sad but you can always look forward to next year. The more experience you have, the easier it all is. Things fall into place a lot simpler. And you have just made some friends who just may be your best friends for decades to come.

rickb
03-16-2009, 06:57
I am leaving for my thru hike one week from today. I am very curious for those of you who have completed a thru hike, what was the hardest aspect of your journey (loneliness, bad weather, physical/ mental pain, etc.)? How did you overcome that? What kept you going?

Also, for those of you who did not make it to the end, why did you decide to finally get off the trail?

Thanks!

The hardest part were the days that sucked. All part of a thru hike (for most). Really hiking you own hike isn't so easy either.

Hey, have you read this? Some parts may seem self evident, but there is so much truth in this, I think reading it a few times could help.

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/THP%20top.html

Coyote918
03-16-2009, 08:45
Hey thanks rickb, really interesting website

DavidNH
03-16-2009, 10:05
For me, the hardest aspects of the thru hike included 1) hiking in bad weather conditions such as cold rain and mud), 2) getting to a shelter exhausted and finding it over crowded and/or having occupants who where smoking, smoking bot, or guzzling bear right at the shelter, at times 3) just plain hard terrain (ME) and tedium (PA).

I got thru it all by telling my self that it would get better, the most spectacular scenery (ME and NH) are ahead. Also, as tedious as the AT may get at times, real life (outside world) is far worse.

david

A-Train
03-16-2009, 11:12
That '03 bunch is still complaining about the springs running so well. :)

Don't you have a slackpack to do or a journal to write or somethin? :)

Frick Frack
03-16-2009, 11:21
1st step is the hardest. Just getting there, getting the time, doing the planning, getting the gear.
Once you take that first step, it's fun time. Low stress, no: newspapers, world problems, money problems (hiking is about the cheapest thing you can do),

I agree, the hardest part was making the decision and following through. Making the decision to leave everything behind and put things on hold for almost half a year was stressful. Once we were on the trail, and there was no turning back, it was sheer bliss. (even though we had record rainfall in ME, MA, VT) Having to put up with all your gear, clothes and yourself being tsaoked with rain, mud, dirt, sand etc was hard but hiking through some of the most beautiful places I have seen & living such a simple life made up for all that darn rain. Going SOBO we rarely had over crowding problems and hiking with my wife we rarely had boredom problems. There were plenty of tedious sections (ie, PA!) but we fiound ways to make it intresting. The terrain at times was challenging (esp S. ME!) but you get through it. At the start when looking at a map it was hard to comprehend we were hiking all the way from ME to GA so we set many small goals along the way (next state line, points of intrest, next beer, food, etc) that eventually got us back in the South and in GA.

Many Walks
03-16-2009, 11:35
The AT is as rewarding as it is difficult. My advice, don't fight the trail and conditions, but learn to read them and work with them. Remember, there is more adventure just around the next bend or over the next hill. That's what you hike for and it's worth going there to enjoy it. Lone Wolf is right, "it's just walking" so take one step after the other, don't over think it, or worry about what might be that only adds stress. Rest when you need to. Just deal with what it is and what you need to keep going. You'll be fine, enjoy your hike!

Many Walks
03-16-2009, 11:52
Frick Frack - "we set many small goals along the way"

That's another great point, it always amazed me how we could head up to a distant fire tower in the AM, get to it and move on. By the end of the day we'd look back and it was several mountains behind us. The accomplishment of moving so far in a day has always been inspiring. The AT is experienced by the combination of those little sections a day at a time, so look forward to landmarks, but glance back to enjoy where you've been. To me it's like building a house, the thought of building the entire thing intimidates a lot of people, but if it's approached a board at a time it's really no big deal.

Jim Adams
03-16-2009, 12:33
Not going the next March!

Just enjoy everyday and when your spirits are low just think of the alternative...staying home...suddenly the trail looks much brighter! Your hike will go much faster than you end up wanting it too. Just have fun.

geek

the goat
03-16-2009, 12:37
2) getting to a shelter exhausted and finding it over crowded and/or having occupants who where smoking, smoking bot, or guzzling bear right at the shelter

bot-heads are so rude!

how does one guzzle a bear? do you go right for it, or do you have to take it to dinner and a movie first? just curious....

McKeever
03-16-2009, 13:50
For every symptom, there is a cause. You will experience all the above at one time or another, each one may seam more significant than the previous one. You may become frustrated but must quickly adapt or change your strategy. You will have to adapt to conditions as they occur and for some, it is easier said than done.

PPPPPP -Piss Poor Performance Prevents Proper Preparation

Pootz
03-16-2009, 14:12
The hardest part was by far finishing. A thru hike can be a highlight of your life if you let it.

What helped me along the way was:

Make sure everything is in order at home before you leave
Finding people I enjoyed hiking with, avoiding those I did not enjoy.
Set small goals along the way, resupply to resupply worked best for me.
Do not worry about thing ahead of you on the trail, the trail has a way of taking care of them for you.
Do not dwell on what the trail is not, enjoy it for what it is.
Enjoy your hike or make changes so you can.

Have fun.

Blue Jay
03-17-2009, 18:33
For me, the hardest aspects of the thru hike included 1) hiking in bad weather conditions such as cold rain and mud), 2) getting to a shelter exhausted and finding it over crowded and/or having occupants who where smoking, smoking bot, or guzzling bear right at the shelter, at times 3) just plain hard terrain (ME) and tedium (PA).

I got thru it all by telling my self that it would get better, the most spectacular scenery (ME and NH) are ahead. Also, as tedious as the AT may get at times, real life (outside world) is far worse.

david

I really have to agree with Dave and the Goat on this one. Bot eggs are very difficult to get off your horses legs so you can smoke them. Also I don't mind people guzzling bear in private but please not at, or even worse, in shelters.
Plain old guzzling is ok, if you stay in your sleeping bag and keep quiet.

stranger
03-18-2009, 22:36
I attempted a thru-hike in 1995 and got off originally in Pearisburg, I was getting a tad bored with it. In 2001 I did a section hike with my friend who was thru-hiking and I had enough money for about 500 miles, I remember feeling a tad sad about getting off the trail but I also felt like I had enough and was OK with going back to work.

Last year I left Springer with plenty of money and time, and a loose goal of walking 1000 miles, and by the time I reached the 500 mile mark again I felt the same again, it just wasn't as interesting anymore. What this has told me is that for me atleast, 500-600 miles is about right, more than that gets boring and I lose interest. What's strange as well is I don't like doing short hikes either, I don't like weekend stuff or even week long stuff - I must be a tool!

I would like to thru-hike in theory, but after 3 long AT hikes I know that in practice I get bored after 5-6 weeks.

hopefulhiker
03-19-2009, 12:12
For me it was injuries, having to go slower than most hikers. I was worried about running out of time and having to do a "forced march" type of hike when I got to Gorham, NH in order to make it before they closed K... So I just flipped my hike, got on the bus at Gorham and went up to ME and started hiking back.. It was very enjoyable.. I got to see all my friends that were ahead of me on the way back. Also I was able to do a little "side hiking" and seeing some sights I would have never seen otherwise...