PDA

View Full Version : Knoxville

Live the Journey
03-15-2009, 23:17
Hey Folks,
I'm starting my NOBO next week and I have a good friend that wants to meet up with me when I get closer to where he lives in Knoxville TN. I was wondering what the best town or road crossing on the AT would be to get to see him...I don't know whereabouts in Knoxville he lives, but I'm assuming that the Cades Cove area would be good (he says thats about 30 min. away from him)

I'm just looking for a good spot near the trail to meet up/wait for him so that I'm not just standing on the side of a road somewhere, perhaps with a phone so I can let him know that I'm there...

Thanks in advance for the input!

Tennessee Viking
03-15-2009, 23:32
For the main AT trailheads, you can get off at Fontana and go into Maryville which is halfway in between Knoxville and western side of the Smokies. Then you can get picked up at Newfound Gap, Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge/Sevierville is a short drive from the east end of Knoxville.

But for Cades Cove, you can drop off the ridgeline from Russell Field and walk to Cades Cove campground (just over 5 miles).

UnkaJesse
03-15-2009, 23:40
I'm sure your Knoxville friend knows this, but I wouldn't count on getting to Cades Cove on a weekend in 30 minutes. I'd rather drive an RV down Peachtree Street in Atlanta for rush hour than go through Pigeon Forge on a weekend.

Whiskyjo
03-15-2009, 23:50
I think if he is coming up to say Hi and bring you some supplies the fastest would be for him to hit I-40 East to where you cross under I-40 at the northern part of the GSMNP next to the Pigeon River. Not sure of the spelling but I think its Waterford Exit

Ox97GaMe
03-16-2009, 00:21
you will have a couple of options.

a) Fontana. If he is 30 min from Cades Cove, he is a little over an hour from Fontana via Hwy 129 (The Dragon)

b) Newfound Gap/Gatlinburg. you will probably be wanting to resupply here anyway to get you up to Hot Springs. This is a pretty easy hitch down to GB from Newfound Gap, then meet up with your friend in town. As was mentioned, your friend may have issues getting through Pigeon Forge on a Sat/Sun. He can take the bypasses around PF and GB or drive through the park from Cades Cove to the Sugarland Visitor Center. Let me know if he needs directions for either of those.

c) Waterville/I-40. This is about an hour from downtown Knoxville. NC Exit #1 on I-40 eastbound. You can wait at Standing Bear Farm hostel, which is about a mile up the gravel road after you go under the interstate.

d) you can get to the Cades Cove ranger station/campground by taking the side trail down from either Russell Field or Spence Field. It is about 5 miles from either shelter. Of course, this also means making the 5 mile climb back up to the shelter after the visit.

Tennessee Viking
03-16-2009, 00:54
I'm sure your Knoxville friend knows this, but I wouldn't count on getting to Cades Cove on a weekend in 30 minutes. I'd rather drive an RV down Peachtree Street in Atlanta for rush hour than go through Pigeon Forge on a weekend.The old highway is a better route. You bypass a lot of crap.

Winterfest...just take your camping gear with you... you will be camping along the highway.

curtisvowen
03-16-2009, 07:29
you will have a couple of options.
c) Waterville/I-40. This is about an hour from downtown Knoxville. NC Exit #1 on I-40 eastbound. You can wait at Standing Bear Farm hostel, which is about a mile up the gravel road after you go under the interstate.

That's exit #451, about 1 hr. from Knoxville.

TOW
03-16-2009, 09:35
Just have him meet you at Standing Bear Hostel.

Big Suave
03-16-2009, 10:54
The trail crosses the main road through the park by Clingmans Dome.